Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

Last night was not a good night for sports.  Not here, or in any of the things I follow.  Nats lose in a game where, if they win, they end the drought of not getting to Conference Championships.  Caps lose shootout on opening night against hated Pens.  In my own little corner of the universe the last American team for the League of Legends World Tournament, team C9, got eliminated 3-0.

Luckily, Supernatural started back up again, so that helps to offset...a tiny bit.

The only good thing about last night is it wasn't AS devastating as 2012. And it wasn't as sad as watching Paul Pierce's majestic tying shot go in and THEN get called back. It wasn't quite as bad as losing to the Penguins in the playoffs AGAIN and then watching then go on to win the Cup AGAIN.

That's where we're at, those are the things we can "celebrate". It was only a moderately crippling loss.

4 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

The only good thing about last night is it wasn't AS devastating as 2012. And it wasn't as sad as watching Paul Pierce's majestic tying shot go in and THEN get called back. It wasn't quite as bad as losing to the Penguins in the playoffs AGAIN and then watching then go on to win the Cup AGAIN.

That's where we're at, those are the things we can "celebrate". It was only a moderately crippling loss.

Losing rivals who then go on to win the championship is the lowest of the low--at least it wasn't the Mets/Braves/Phillies last night.

The thing that kills me: the Nats last 6 NLDS losses have all come by 1 run. The 7th was 2 runs. That's some snakebit bull**** right there. We had several golden opportunities to score and just didn't--that 0-3 3Ks with runner on 3rd 1 out was just brutal...

13 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

there is no curse in this city.  the redskins dominated a decade of sports. we just have unrealistic expectations of our teams who tends to over-exceed their expectations in

Did they dominate? Really? At best, they seemed to have a share in the NFC's overall domination of the NFL. 

Even so, that doesn't do folks under a certain age. Watching NFL Films highlight reels are fun but at some point you start wondering "when are we gonna see this again?"

13 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

there is no curse in this city.  the redskins dominated a decade of sports. we just have unrealistic expectations of our teams who tends to over-exceed their expectations in

For the last 25 years, DC Sports has been defined by one thing: disappointment. It's been 18 years since we last made even a semi-final round. On the optimistic flip side, our teams have been there. Nats have 3 division titles in 5 years, 5 straight winning seasons, and a very good overall organization. Caps have been in the playoffs 4 of the last 5 years. Skins are much better now under St. Mcloughan than before--and building--surprisingly made the playoffs last year. I don't follow the NBA at all--so I can't speak on the Wizards.

It's just so frustrating coming so close so many times, only to just miss. At least we are there--would just love to break through.

4 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Did they dominate? Really? At best, they seemed to have a share in the NFC's overall domination of the NFL. 

Even so, that doesn't do folks under a certain age. Watching NFL Films highlight reels are fun but at some point you start wondering "when are we gonna see this again?"

4 super bowl outings in 12 years.  You really think you can keep a franchise that good forever.  the steelers were garbage from the late 70s until big ben showed up

Just now, skinfan2k said:

4 super bowl outings in 12 years.  You really think you can keep a franchise that good forever.  the steelers were garbage from the late 70s until big ben showed up

I dunno about "garbage." They won an AFC Championship in 1995 and 9 division championships between the last of their dynasty Super Bowls and Roethlisberger's drafting in 2004. If memory serves, they were a consistent winner throughout the 1990s and 2000s but they had a hard time getting over the hump at conference championship games.

Steelers in the 80s and 90s weren't garbage.  In the 80s, they were so-so. Had some good teams and some bad teams.  Made the playoffs a bit, but were past their dominant days.  They had a resurgence under Cowher and played in a SB in the 90s.  Some solid teams under Cowher, but nothing dominant like their 70s teams.

9 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

Except for that whole Bill Cowher era in the 90s where they made the Super Bowl but okay.

6 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

Except for that whole Bill Cowher era in the 90s where they made the Super Bowl but okay.

so then what is the difference between the Nats and steelers of the 90s as you claim?  They didnt win a superbowl and went to the show only once.  this team won 3 divisions in 5 years.

4 minutes ago, skinfan2k said:

so then what is the difference between the Nats and steelers of the 90s as you claim?  They didnt win a superbowl and went to the show only once.  this team won 3 divisions in 5 years.

The steeelers did win playoff games and made the superbowl

i am just asking for 1 breakthrough into the conference finals or the NLCS or NFC championship game 

we haven't gotten to feel the thrill of that!

On 10/14/2016 at 10:03 AM, skinfan2k said:

They. made. the. Super Bowl. We can't get past round 1.

Look, the devil's advocate stuff make you feel good sometimes, we've all been there. We are sitting here after another terrible, could've easily been avoided loss. Not trying to hear arguments against this curse today.

The division titles are nice, just make it to a ****ing conference final. Just don't lose by a run or a goal or 0.01 seconds off the hands of Paul Pierce.

If a DC team can win a championship in my lifetime I will be content. I'm 34, figure I have 50 years left.

Division titles don't mean ****. None of the Capitals' success means anything to me. That's why I almost tune out during the regular season. It comes down to the playoffs. 

Wizards are trash and I would argue one of professional sports worst franchises. I'm tempted to buy the NBA package so I can watch them but then I remind myself how bad they are. The Skins are just the Skins, I actually have more hope for them than anyone.

8 minutes ago, Sticksboi05 said:

They. made. the. Super Bowl. We can't get past round 1.

Look, the devil's advocate stuff make you feel good sometimes, we've all been there. We are sitting here after another terrible, could've easily been avoided loss. Not trying to here arguments against this curse today.

The division titles are nice, just make it to a ****ing conference final. Just don't lose by a run or a goal or 0.01 seconds off the hands of Paul Pierce.

i really dont care to be honest.  if this curse is your justification for losing, that's dumb.

The only true "curse" in the area is that a subset of fans and a lot of the local media grasp onto modest success or flashes of excitement and assume that means our teams are ready to contend or have arrived. To me, a team or city isn't cursed when their results continue to repeat themselves. The Caps have been a very solid team, just not built to win in the playoffs. The Nats have been a strong pitching team that struggles to score enough to beat playoff-caliber teams in October. The Wizards, when they've been playoff-caliber, haven't been true contenders to win anything. Same the with Redskins. 

And, let's not discount the 1980s Redskins simply to fit them into a narrative. They were dynastic and really only overshadowed by one other NFL organization that decade (who happened to eliminate them from potentially advancing to more championships the last two times they failed to get to the NFCCG). 

13 minutes ago, DM72 said:

DC isn't cursed. Is Buffalo cursed? Was Cleveland cursed? 

No - curses are ridiculous things that people make up when their teams don't win and they don't recognize the holes. It's an asinine concept. I get so annoyed with my friends who think teams like the Bullets, Caps, and Nats (who have virtually no tradition of winning) are cursed when they only advance to the first or second round of the playoffs.

Same for my Skins...I love what they were when I was a kid, but I would have to be blind not to acknoweldge that any of their teams since 1993 winning a title would have been quite the fluke. 

It's easy to look back and point out holes.  Specifically, there were two caps teams in this group of letdowns that were head and shoulders better than the competition.  You can't just say that our sports teams are full of holes.

Tom Brady would come here and never win another playoff game again.

Archived