Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The DC Sports Curse Thread.

HailGalvatron

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1428761&page=3

Originally Posted by Ralph Spoilsport View Post

Atlanta deserves dishonourable mention here...

50 years of Falcons

49 years of Braves

46 years of Hawks

20 combined years of Flames and Thrashers

165 major league seasons

1 parade

Atlanta is a terrible sports town. The Braves fail to sell out playoff games. I didn't see it, but recall someone mentioned there were empty seats at Game 1 or 2 in Atlanta. Only Miami is worse.

They get no sympathy.

If you want to look at a city that is in the doldrums about its sports teams........Philly.  The Phillies and Sixers are terrible, the Flyers are mediocre, and nobody can figure out what Chip Kelly is doing.

The Phillies won a World Series in 2008 and made it back the next year, and their other three teams all made the final game/round of their respective sport at least once since 2001. But yes right now three of their teams look hopeless and the Eagles are as big a question mark as anyone. But they have had some success this century.

Listen, I really want to enjoy the ride and all that. I really do, and maybe if they didn't lose in the most heartwrenching ways possible, I would. I'd be able to resign myself to a loss 2-3 minutes before the final gun/buzzer and reflect on how much fun everything was.

D.C. teams won't let you do, that though. They refeuse to lose gracefully. They can't just plunge the knife into your chest, they have to remove it, get out a first aid kit, dab the rubbing alcohol onto a cloth, then take out another knife and shove it into the same spot and twist it. They can't just lose, they have to give you hope first just to make it hurt that much more.

I can't just enjoy the ride because I keep thinking and hoping it's going to go on a little longer, only to have it end abrubptly with my nose smashed against the dashboard and blood gushing from my forehead.

It's not that they lose. I'm used to that. I was an infant when the 'Skins won their last title. I'm used to all of our teams being wretched. That, I can handle. The thing that gets me is that they lose in the most bizarre, depressing way possible. It has to be a goal scored by the Rangers in OT or RGIII in a heap with his leg torn up or the inability to get that last out to move on to the NLCS or a buzzer beater waved off because the ****ing ball was on Paul Pierce's fingertips.

It has to hurt. It has to hurt so deep, so close to the center of your core that it brings you down to your hands and knees.

That's why I can't just enjoy the ride.

Listen, I really want to enjoy the ride and all that. I really do, and maybe if they didn't lose in the most heartwrenching ways possible, I would. I'd be able to resign myself to a loss 2-3 minutes before the final gun/buzzer and reflect on how much fun everything else.

D.C. teams won't let you do, that though. They refeuse to lose gracefully. They can't just plunge the knife into your chest, they have to remove it, get out a first aid kit, dab the rubbing alcohol onto a cloth, then take out another knife and shove it into the same spot and twist it. They can't just lose, they have to give you hope first just to make it hurt tht much more.

I can't just enjoy the ride because I keep thinking and hoping it's going to go on a little longer, only to have it end abrubptly with my nose smashed against the dashboard and blood gushing from my forehead.

It's not that they lose. I'm used to that. I was an infant when the 'Skins won their last title. I'm used to all of our teams being wretched. That, I can handle. The thing that gets me is that they lose in the most bizarre, depressing way possible. It has to be a goal scored by the Rangers in OT or RGIII in a heap with his leg torn up or the inability to get that last out to move on to the NLCS or a buzzer beater waved off because the ****ing ball was on Paul Pierce's fingertips.

It has to hurt. It has to hurt so deep, so close to the center of your core that it brings you down to your hands and knees.

That's why I can't just enjoy the ride.

^^this guy gets it

I was at Penn Quarter on the last day of the NHL regular season drinking with a bunch of people I had met earlier. As we were talking hockey, someone asked me about the Capitals. 

I told them, I don't know if we'll beat the Islanders. I said that this team has been beat so many times before, I was kind of wary that they'd advance past the first round. Plus the whole Halak thing. 

There's always that pit in your stomach as a DC fan. That feeling that somehow, someway, this team is going to let you down. We have become accustomed to it. The teams just aren't elite. I don't think it's a curse. They just run into better teams. 

I don't think the Islanders were better than the Caps and the Islanders were going into the playoffs pretty cold after their fast start. We were lucky to win that series. Regardless, all throughout this playoff season, I would always be tense and nervous throughout the games. That feeling of DC sports does that to you. Other people enjoy the games. I was at the Caps party watching with great tension...I mean, I won a damn autographed jersey signed by the team and I just took it and put it on my seat and kept watching the game. I couldn't bring myself to cheer or even smile in a tie game, I was too tense. That DC sports feeling does that to you. How will they rob you now? You're always on alert, waiting for that next mistake that will cost them the game. 

I feel a bit relieved now that I don't have to put so much pressure on myself now. But come playoff time, it'll be nervousness again when the Nats try to advance to their first NLCS. 

I've got a good idea. Let's combine LA and Anaheim and San Fran and Oakland to make Cali cities seem so much better than they are. Why not combine DC and Baltimore and give the conglomerate 2 SB appearances and a baseball appearance?

Bull**** stats that start in the year 2000 for $500 Alek. 

The distance between FedEx Field  and the Verizon Center is 13 miles.

The distance between the Oakland Coliseum and AT&T Park in SF is 16 miles (heck, add 3 more if you want to go to Candlestick).

How is that really any different?

The Caps future has been supposedly bright for close to a decade now.

Gonna have to agree with this. 

You can talk all you want about bright futures.  What matters is results.  The Capitals have blown their opportunities.  At some point, that window is going to close.

DC Sports hypes you up only to let you down

1078.gif

I remember Game 6 of the Isles series and we were all at the bar and the ref calls a whistle and everyone starts cheering and then you find out the penalty is on the Caps and then the mood suddenly changes. An apropos analogy to DC sports. Only a few weeks ago this city was looking good. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Most Cursed Sports Cities in America

5. Washington

Championship seasons since 1965 2.7%

Seasons since last title 79

Close calls 4%

Toughest loss 2012 division series, when the Nats lost a 6-0 lead in the deciding game.

Within a single hour on May 13 this year, the Capitals were eliminated in a Game 7 overtime, and the Wizards lost an important Game 5 at the buzzer. It was a fitting capstone to more than 20 years of Washington sports melancholy, dating to the Redskins’ last Super Bowl win, in 1992. In Washington, sports championships are a bit like VCRs: Unless you’re at least 30 years old, you probably don’t have first-hand experience with one.

The Capitals have come to be known as some of hockey’s most famous chokers, having blown three-games-to-one series leads five times. (Combined, the rest of the league has done so only 23 times.) The Wizards tend to avoid painful losses by being bad: They have won a mere three playoff series in the last 30 years.

And the Redskins, long the city’s marquee franchise? They may have the most oft-mocked team owner in professional sports. They have had only two winning seasons in the last eight. And many fans consider their team name to be a racist insult.

No wonder Washington fans have taken to the Nationals with such joy. The Nats have broken hearts by being upset in the playoffs in two of the last three seasons — and in brutal fashion in 2012 — yet they also have a real chance to win Washington a championship in the near future.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

With the idiotic idea of the ASG winner getting homefield advantage, I posted this on twitter.

The Most DC Sports Thing Ever? Ian Desmond walking off the Nationals in Game 7 of the World Series.

We'll break the curse with the Nats sweeping the Orioles in dominating fashion this October.

I'm not a fan of it either, but at least it gives meaning to the actual all-star game since something is on the line.  Granted it's decided by a lot of players that won't even be playing in the WS or even the playoffs.  

With that said, I'd be perfectly happy if it went back to the way it was before.  

Edit:  Nice article explaining why it's not that bad.  http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/stop-whining-it-s-awesome-the-all-star-game-determines-world-series-home-field-071216

I'm not a fan of it either, but at least it gives meaning to the actual all-star game since something is on the line.  Granted it's decided by a lot of players that won't even be playing in the WS or even the playoffs.  

With that said, I'd be perfectly happy if it went back to the way it was before.  

Edit:  Nice article explaining why it's not that bad.  http://www.foxsports.com/mlb/story/stop-whining-it-s-awesome-the-all-star-game-determines-world-series-home-field-071216

He actually makes some solid points in that article. I especially like his points with the game "meaning" something and forcing crappy players from crappy teams (albiet, even some of the worst teams have some deserving all-stars: Freeman, Tehran, Herrera, Lucroy, Nunez, Trout, etc.). I especially liked his dig at interleague as a "a great idea that has slowly morphed into an unnecessary contrivance." 

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2015 at 0:20 PM, MattFancy said:

The Most Cursed Sports Cities in America

5. Washington

Championship seasons since 1965 2.7%

Seasons since last title 79

Close calls 4%

Toughest loss 2012 division series, when the Nats lost a 6-0 lead in the deciding game.

The footnote from that:

Teams Senators, Nationals, Capitals, Redskins, Bullets/Wizards. Former team: Caps (A.B.A) 

This goes to show that Americans still don't view soccer as a real sport, because apparently these stats didn't include all the DC United's MLS Championships.

Archived