Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread - Redskins at Texans: Houston, We've Got Problems - UPDATED - Pics

TK

So... any updates on Reed, Cofield, or Hatcher?

Honestly (and I can't believe I'm saying this, given the words DG and I had in the offseason), but I'm willing to say forget Reed and lets go with Paul. He did make the fumble earlier, but if he can hang on to the ballI like what he did today. Was it an exception? Maybe, but its the most I've ever seen from him. If he can run routes across the middle and hold on to the freakin ball, then I'm all for him becoming our vertical TE threat.

Lol.  Stop with the stats.  6 points is the stat that really matters.  He’s supposed to be an athletic QB remember?  He’s supposed to avoid the rush and lengthen plays remember?  There was basically very little spark in this offense today.  The QB is the center of it all and really starts there. 

You don't even know what you are talking about. Stats back up that he played decently. He didn't cause the fumble on the potential game tying drive. He didn't let the pressure come from Plumbus's side all day. He didn't step out on the deep ball to Roberts after breaking the pocket and extending the play and throwing a dead on ball on the run( by literally, an inch). Get a clue man. 

I think most who are lashing out at Robert are not really frustrated with his play in this particular game but what really bugs them is that its becoming apparent he was not worth 2 1st rounders and a 2nd.  So those of you who don't care for Robert just make this your argument because it has serious legs and its what scares the hell out of some of our fanbase.

Well if he's not worth 2 firsts then he definitely isn't worth the 3 firsts that we used on him.

IMO making him exclusively a pocket QB is a mistake and gives away 1/2 of his playmaking ability. He'd barely be worth 1 first rounder if he was just a strong armed statue that cant read defenses or feel the pass rush and consistently avoids the pocket stepping into defenders like Watt. If thats what we wanted then we could've just kept Candle.

What the **** are you even talking about? Even Gruden said they ran soft zone to take away the deep passes so Griffin made the right choices not forcing the passes and taking what they gave him. Only Redskins fans would blame the QB after he completed 75% of his passes with no interceptions and over 250 passing yards. It's not the special teams that allowed two blocks, one of which took a point off the board and the other which gave points to the opponent.

Yeah.. they took away EVERY pass deep and mid range.  lol.  Stop throwing out stats.  Any QB in the league, even bad backups, would complete 1-5 yard passes with a high percentage.  Sleep on the fact we scored 6 points with this high powered receiving and running attack.  Its obvious what the hiccup is. 

On a completely different note about today's game..

Was the game sponsored by JJ Watt?!!

I know he's a beast of a player.. But really did we need segment after segment, including his catwalk performance of walking into the stadium. Dear Fox I know this was the basement game on your schedule, but please train your announcers to stick to the game analysis, not star.......... 

Yeah.. they took away EVERY pass deep and mid range.  lol.  Stop throwing out stats.  Any QB in the league, even bad backups, would complete 1-5 yard passes with a high percentage.  Sleep on the fact we scored 6 points with this high powered receiving and running attack.  Its obvious what the hiccup is. 

why don't you come up with an actual, reasonable argument. You are nothing but a troll at this point and this board doesn't need useless arguments with no basis in fact. 

What surprises me is that the postgame show on 980 (which I temporarily turned off so I could listen to the Nats game) is not being as critical of RG3 as this board is. Even Kevin Sheehan is being nice to him. And for the most part people are saying what we (you and I and a few others) have been saying - not praising his game, but definiely not calling it a bad game. Sheehan was just on and talked about how Hou played a soft zone and gave RG3 the quick short throws, which is what we took. Then talked about how well the offense played in the second half, with the exception of the turnovers.

You're braver than I. I didn't even try.  Fearing the worst.  

Good to hear that there are some that are keeping their heads.  

Even though the game was really extraordinarily disappointing.  

Honestly (and I can't believe I'm saying this, given the words DG and I had in the offseason), but I'm willing to say forget Reed and lets go with Paul. He did make the fumble earlier, but if he can hang on to the ballI like what he did today. Was it an exception? Maybe, but its the most I've ever seen from him. If he can run routes across the middle and hold on to the freakin ball, then I'm all for him becoming our vertical TE threat.

I'd still rather cut Paul than have him as the first TE. On that note, I thought it was pretty obvious last year that Reed couldn't be counted on. I wouldn't have minded if the Skins used the 2nd on a TE. I'm more worried about Cofield and Hatcher (though, some Cowboys fans are going to be all like, "I told you so" on him). If they're not playing, the d-line isn't worth 2 ****s.

Until he proves he can win in the pocket, I’m not going to believe he can win with this team.  He’s got tons of weapons and its sad that most of his passes to them are 5 yards or less.  I’m not saying it was all him but as Griffin stated.. “the offense goes as I go”.  6 points is 6 points.  Can you honestly say you were Wowed by him at all today?  After all his “proving the doubters wrong rhetoric” can you say he started off on the right foot?  

Wowed? Absolutely not. And nowhere have I ever stated that.

Played the game that was handed to him? Yes.  Got the ball into the hands of the playmakers so they had the opportunities to make plays? Yes.  Didn't really have time to take shots deep because of poor OL play? Sure.  

Made a few mistakes, like the fumble and the deep pass to Garcon? Sure.  Could have been more aggressive with his legs? Absolutely.

Do I give a rat's backside about the "proving the haters wrong" stuff and all that other crap? Not at all.  

Off on the right foot? Yeah, I actually think he's off to a good start this year with a lot of things, and that if they can clean up some things the offense can jump in productivity very, very quickly.

While I respect everyone's opinion, I'll say this: There are a lot of strong opinions in this thread coming from people who don't know much about football.

If there were more football people here, the discussion would be about turnovers, the offensive line, and special teams. I also know that there are many football people here who recognize these things.

Regarding QB play, Griffin played a good game. He took what the defense gave him. He got the ball out of his hands fast and into our play makers' hands. He went through progressions. He hit his receivers in the hands on nearly every throw. He threw the ball away instead of taking sacks. He gave his players opportunities to win one on one match ups. He threw for a high completion percentage. He didn't turn the ball over. Good game for a QB if you're talking football.

Any QB analysis beyond that would be preceded by analyzing the other factors of today's game by people who understand the game.

why don't you come up with an actual, reasonable argument. You are nothing but a troll at this point and this board doesn't need useless arguments with no basis in fact. 

Stop with the troll thing.  I have been a skins fan for almost 40 years.  I don’t have to have 13000 posts to have real knowledge on this game or the history of this organization.  The skins organization has taken a bad turn the last 10 years.  They don’t change fast enough and tend to hold onto things longer than they really should.  Campbell now Griffin come to mind.  Seems to me they have lost their way.  I’m sorry that Griffin isn’t working out for you and others that love the guy but the facts are the facts.  People have said he’s not a pro style offensive QB since before he came out of college.  The truth hurts but eventually facing the truth will bring us back to winning ways. Maybe Griffin will come along and help us with a few but I think the only statue for him will be have to stay at baylor.  

He’s supposed to be an athletic QB remember?  He’s supposed to avoid the rush and lengthen plays remember?  There was basically very little spark in this offense today. 

That's the part of his game today that concerned me.  Gruden and McVay did nothing today to take advantage of what RG3 brings to the table as an athlete.  And I think he's almost being overcoached to not be the run threat he can be.  There's 11 more defensive coaches that are licking their chops game planning for a stationary QB that won't or can't go downfield.

It's not so much that the Redskins lost, but how they did it. They gave away what seemingly is the 700th game they should've won since the Norv era and losing games that you should've won have a way of snowballing into a mountain if your coach isn't a strong leader of men. I'm a big believer that the coach plays a major part in the teams resolve or lack of it and aside from Schottenheimer for the one year he was here and Gibbs for the four years that he came back, we haven't had a strong leader of men over the past 20+ years.

Is Gruden that guy? Time will tell. But today obviously wasn't a good start and if he's not that guy we're going to continue to lose games we should win, regardless of the talent on the football team.

Stop with the troll thing.  I have been a skins fan for almost 40 years.  I don’t have to have 13000 posts to have real knowledge on this game or the history of this organization.  The skins organization has taken a bad turn the last 10 years.  They don’t change fast enough and tend to hold onto things longer than they really should.  Campbell now Griffin come to mind.  Seems to me they have lost their way.  I’m sorry that Griffin isn’t working out for you and others that love the guy but the facts are the facts.  People have said he’s not a pro style offensive QB since before he came out of college.  The truth hurts but eventually facing the truth will bring us back to winning ways. Maybe Griffin will come along and help us with a few but I think the only statue for him will be have to stay at baylor.  

So you bring out your stats as a fan (40 years!), but i cannot bring out actual stats of the qb you are criticizing? Talk about a troll. He had 2 throws that showed off his talent. The one to Roberts rolling out while pressured even though he stepped out of bounds by an inch, and the one to Paul which was then instantly fumbled. thats almost 100 yards of wiped out plays there. So shut up and come up with an actual argument or don't post. Ive been a fan for 25 years myself. 

He is in his 3rd season. THIRD SEASON! Rodgers still wasn't even starting in his third season for comparison. 

absolutely disappointing game.

rg3 did nothing, oline certainly didnt help, thank you right side. special teams from last year showed up. players cant hold onto the football. oh yea and coaching is the same old clock management, no desire to win and no aggression.

buckle down, this will be another long and disappointing season. what's new, it's the redskins.

htttr

Good game for a QB if you're talking football.

IF we are talking football.. I saw an average quarterback who was unsteady on his feet, held on to the ball for too long. Who made some good throws, but took too many sacks and hits.

IF we are talking football, a debate on whether Griffin has progressed as he needs to do in his third season as a quarterback who was supposed to be one of the elite up and comers.  

But that is only IF we are talking about football..  and IF you think I'm blaming RGIII for this loss, I'm not.. This was almost a total team defeat in all aspects..

Archived