Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread - Redskins at Texans: Houston, We've Got Problems - UPDATED - Pics

TK

got to wonder why Gruden takes a dynamic unconventional QB 'playmaker' and puts him in a pocket passing offense before he's an accomplished pocket passer ... without a mix of unconventional QB calls  ... AND ... why he sits his best pocket passer if he wants to have a pocket passer oriented offense.

I am NOT saying Cousins would have ripped the Texans apart ... I am saying what most people will admit ... Cousins is a more accomplished, more talented pocket passer than Griffin and if that's what you want your offense to do ... then Cousins is the better choice until Griffin improves.  And it PISSES me off that they are taking my NFL enjoyment opportunities away so Griffin can find out if he can learn to be a pocket passer at some point in the next couple of years.

Put an offense together that suits Griffin's talents and do it @#$%ing NOW

Young sat for 4 years (playing in spot duty) behind the great Joe Montana and learned from the innovator of the west coast offense, Bill Walsh. It takes time to turn a mobile, run first QB into a pocket passer. 

Wow, if that isn't the worst comparison of QBs, I don't know what is.

Griffin is nothing remotely close to what Young was, AND Young also sat as you stated behind a QB named Montana; who is Griffin sitting behind, studying, learning from?  If its Gruden, he'll be limited.  Griffin's biggest attribute is his legs, and they're being taken away to become a pocket passer; it can't be both. Back then, it wasn't that difficult, but today defenses are bigger, stronger, faster, and can run down QBs.

Then you're sick of the modern NFL and not anything you saw from our game

From this weeks games:

Manning: 7.5ypa

Griffin: 7.2 ypa

Rodgers: 5.7ypa

Wilson: 6.8ypa

Luck: 7ypa

Brady: 4.4ypa

Manning - 12.2 yds/comp

Luck - 10.5 yds/comp

Wilson - 10 yds/comp

Griffin - 9.2 yds/comp

Brady - 8.5 yds/comp

Rodgers - 8.2 yds/comp

Brady - 4 sacks

Luck - 3 sacks

Griffin - 3 sacks

Rodgers - 3 sacks

Manning - 1 sack

Wilson - 1 sack

Griffin - 26 yds lost in sacks

Brady - 23 yds lost in sacks

Luck - 16 yds lost in sacks

Rodgers - 14 yds lost in sacks

Manning - 10 yds lost in sacks

Wilson - 0 yds lost in sacks

Manning - 3 TD passes

Wilson - 2 TD passes

Rodgers - 1 TD pass

Brady - 1 TD pass

Luck - 1 TD pass

Griffin - 0 TD passes

6 out of 32 teams isn't exactly representative of the modern NFL experience

Wow, if that isn't the worst comparison of QBs, I don't know what is.

Griffin is nothing remotely close to what Young was, AND Young also sat as you stated behind a QB named Montana; who is Griffin sitting behind, studying, learning from?  If its Gruden, he'll be limited.  Griffin's biggest attribute is his legs, and they're being taken away to become a pocket passer; it can't be both. Back then, it wasn't that difficult, but today defenses are bigger, stronger, faster, and can run down QBs.

I'm sorry that you didn't take the time to read the entire post that I responded to, It was the poster who referenced Steve Young which I then commented on. 

And if you want to be 100% correct, Steve was horrible in Tampa but excelled in San Fran, So my follow up post does make sense. And no where did i say Griffin = Young. I am comparing both as in the type of QBs they are or were coming out of college and what they displayed their first yrs in the league.

I do agree with you that Griffin has not had time to sit and learn how to be a pocket passer so his struggles will be more profound. And it doesn't help that the OL - outside of Trent - can't pass protect.

Griffin's biggest attribute is his legs

uh no

just no

RGIII's best attribute is his pure arm talent, the problem is that RGIII's playing catchup because we're doing in year 3 what we should have been doing in year 1.

That logic is why we're here in the first place, we decided to get free wins by abusing RGIII's speed and athleticism instead of developing a guy with massive massive arm talent, playmaking ability and clutch factor in the nuances of pro passing because winning games with read option and a 4.3 speed QB is easy, and developing QBs is hard.

RGIII will be fine if we're patient with him and let him catch up to where he should be, which he is working his ass off to do.

I just saw on sports center that only 7 of RG3's attempts went over 10 yards.  If so that is pathetic.  Im sick of this dink and dunk offense when you have garcon jackson and roberts

From this weeks games:

He wasn't talking about average yards per attempt, he was talking about the number of attempted passes that were deep passes. Per Pro Football Focus, the number and percentage of week 1 passes that were deep passes (20+ yards):

QB - 20+ yard passing attempts - % of dropbacks that were 20+ yard attempts

1. Nick Foles - 9 - 20.0%

2. Tom Brady - 10 - 17.9%

4. Alex Smith - 6 - 17.1%

6. Ben Roethlisberger - 5 - 14.7%

7. Matt Ryan - 6 - 14.0%

8. Peyton Manning - 5 - 13.9%

9. Tony Ro mo - 5 - 13.5%

13. Robert Griffin III - 4 - 10.8%

14. Russell Wilson - 3 - 10.7%

17. Drew Brees - 4 - 9.5%

24. Andrew Luck - 4 - 7.5%

26. Aaron Rodgers - 2 - 6.1%

27. Ryan Fitzpatrick - 1 - 4.5%

The number of deep pass attempts is a function of both play calling and execution. If the play caller doesn't call many deep pass plays, the number will be low. If deep pass plays are called but the team is unable to execute - due to poor pass protection, receivers unable to get open, or the QB unable to recognize open deep receivers or unwilling/unable to throw to them, the number will be low.

Manning - 12.2 yds/comp

Luck - 10.5 yds/comp

Wilson - 10 yds/comp

Griffin - 9.2 yds/comp

Brady - 8.5 yds/comp

Rodgers - 8.2 yds/comp

Brady - 4 sacks

Luck - 3 sacks

Griffin - 3 sacks

Rodgers - 3 sacks

Manning - 1 sack

Wilson - 1 sack

Griffin - 26 yds lost in sacks

Brady - 23 yds lost in sacks

Luck - 16 yds lost in sacks

Rodgers - 14 yds lost in sacks

Manning - 10 yds lost in sacks

Wilson - 0 yds lost in sacks

Manning - 3 TD passes

Wilson - 2 TD passes

Rodgers - 1 TD pass

Brady - 1 TD pass

Luck - 1 TD pass

Griffin - 0 TD passes

6 out of 32 teams isn't exactly representative of the modern NFL experience

Thanks for posting. So again he is not throwing anything shorter than really any other QBs do. these numbers include YAC anyway so we really have to wait until the Air Yards are out to show. But just based on this, I don't see what the big concern is with what happened yesterday.

Thanks for posting. So again he is not throwing anything shorter than really any other QBs do. these numbers include YAC anyway so we really have to wait until the Air Yards are out to show. But just based on this, I don't see what the big concern is with what happened yesterday.

total yards with the ball:  Griffin -24 yds (-26 while attempting to pass ... if you can even say that in these situations and +2 as a "runner" ... I don't recall if those were "runs" or scrambles that barely missed being counted as sacks.

I think that's telling re: his comfort and ability in the pocket.  Take Brady and Manning out of the mix since both are immobile and proud of it.  Rodgers with a shocking Redskins-like O-Line lost a little less than 5 yards per sack ... basically he averaged getting dropped in the pocket.  About the same for Luck.  Wilson ... well Wilson will forever be the QB we could have had in addition to 2 additional first round picks but staying on topic ... I don't know how you can lose 0 yards and still be "sacked."  Griffin lost an average of slightly less than 9 yards per sack ... basically he's moving out of the pocket and going backwards.  Clearly there are times when that's the best idea but the default concept of working within the pocket is to "step up" ... obviously if the breakdown is coming through the center or guards stepping up isn't really a great idea ... but the breakdown was coming around the right tackle.

Just waiting to see what the installed offense will look like after game planning for a team. I hope there is a lot of screens (RB & WR), TE pop passes, mix of zone and power runs and the occasional shot down field.

Having read this board for many years just want you guys to know don't freak out the first time one of RG's passes is batted down... it happens they call dude JJ Swat & the swat team for a reason. Don't freak out when he gets sacked because there is no time... see the great Aaron Rodgers from Thursday throwing picks, sack fumbles and get hit before he could even think about hot routes or progression.

HTTR enjoy the game folks!

Yep I'm going to quote myself because what they did was almost the offense I wanted to see against this team, just needed more carries for Morris and Helu because they could not stop it. 

Basically teams have to pick their poison, play deep and leave underneath open for short passes and the run game or play up and leave the back end open to the deep play. This team picked playing deep, so why should they try to take what they are not giving them? Outside of the fumbles and missed assignments, the problem was our play calling gave them the antidote after they picked their poison by not continuing to pound them in the run game until they stopped it. 

Side note, you guys talking about short passes need to watch more football games and not just highlights, do you realize how many screens and short passes other teams throw? Denver's offense is pretty much dink, dunk, screen, draw, and the occasional deep ball or shot when someone is left one on one. When the chance presented itself they took a shot SMH.

Yep I'm going to quote myself because what they did was almost the offense I wanted to see against this team, just needed more carries for Morris and Helu because they could not stop it. 

Basically teams have to pick their poison, play deep and leave underneath open for short passes and the run game or play up and leave the back end open to the deep play. This team picked playing deep, so why should they try to take what they are not giving them? Outside of the fumbles and missed assignments, the problem was our play calling gave them the antidote after they picked their poison by not continuing to pound them in the run game until they stopped it. 

Side note, you guys talking about short passes need to watch more football games and not just highlights, do you realize how many screens and short passes other teams throw? Denver's offense is pretty much dink, dunk, screen, draw, and the occasional deep ball or shot when someone is left one on one. When the chance presented itself they took a shot SMH.

that one not so subtle difference between what you wanted ... and what we got ... too little of AlMo is too much to overlook ... all things together ... don't sell yourself short

I just saw on sports center that only 7 of RG3's attempts went over 10 yards.  If so that is pathetic.  Im sick of this dink and dunk offense when you have garcon jackson and roberts

Still should've been enough to win.   

But if the two of the three biggest throws in the game didn't end poorly, we probably have a different opinion of his performance.  And I wasn't a huge fan of his game yesterday, but I'll concede, the optics would've been different had he not thrown Roberts out of bounds and Paul not coughed it up after a huge gain.  You really don't need a ton of big plays in the passing game, just a couple.  

To me the most disturbing fact from the game was the Ryan Fitzpatrick outrushed RG3 5-to-1. 

I understand trying to make RG3 a more traditional style pocket passer but here's the fact, he's an average quarterback without his legs. 

Yes I know this argument has been beaten to death but it's like having your favorite dessert in the fridge and you don't want to eat it because it's bad for you. Eventually it'll go bad and you'll throw it away and have nothing to show for it. 

This team has a lot of weapons, but, just like last season, this offense has no identity. If they want to maintain a power running style of football then stick with how ALMO and Helu were running. For some reason they abandoned the run after that TD drive. I simply don't understand why. IT was working. 

RG3 isn't a game manager, he's a game changer. IF you're only going to keep trotting him out there to manage the game, then you're barking up the wrong tree. 

One game, opponent with a very good D line, new offense and we still had a chance to win. Relax.

this is the NFL. Even last season "we had a chance to win" almost every game.

Fact is, we lost to one of the worst teams in the league.

Next week, we'll likely lose to another of the worst teams in the league.

At some point, you gotta wonder what that makes us.

From this weeks games:

I was thinking about posting the same thing.  If you don't like this approach, you don't like the Brady-Belichick offense.  The bigger problem being that we weren't running them in a fashion that led to a bunch of YAC, like many of those other teams.  That's on the scheme, not Griffin.

this is the NFL. Even last season "we had a chance to win" almost every game.

Fact is, we lost to one of the worst teams in the league.

Next week, we'll likely lose to another of the worst teams in the league.

At some point, you gotta wonder what that makes us.

The worst team in the league. I think we as fans have to face the reality that there's a possibility that's what we very well could be.

I fully expect a double-digit loss season and would not be surprised if we repeat last year's 3-13.

The worst team in the league. I think we as fans have to face the reality that there's a possibility that's what we very well could be.

I fully expect a double-digit loss season and would not be surprised if we repeat last year's 3-13.

The defense held the texans to 10 points and we had bungled opportunities in the red zone twice. We're far from the worst team in the league. Teams have bad games and make mistakes, it's a marathon not a sprint.

The Texans are not the worst team in the league and neither are we. Cmon man. 

There is no excuse for many of the plays called yesterday, piss poor game plan. We have the weapons to stretch the field now, so why the hell are we throwing short passes against an aggressive Defense, that reminded me of Jason Campbell. 

Archived