Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread - Redskins at Texans: Houston, We've Got Problems - UPDATED - Pics

TK

If you think Rambo SS looked bad on the long TD, make sure to check out the Ravens #24 Stewart on the late AC Green TD.  Skip ahead to :40 or so. 

Its what WRs do to Ss in space. 

Changing gears, did we try to block any kicks yesterday? I sure hope so.  We barely used to try to block extra points in years past. its high time to try harder in light of getting abused in week 1. 

There is no excuse for many of the plays called yesterday, piss poor game plan. We have the weapons to stretch the field now, so why the hell are we throwing short passes against an aggressive Defense, that reminded me of Jason Campbell.

Our Oline could not hold them off long enough to throw deep. On each sack he was looking downfield. With our line we must be a running team and we had some success running the ball. I understand the gloom and doom based on our recent history, but don't give up based on Sundays game.

Our Oline could not hold them off long enough to throw deep. On each sack he was looking downfield. With our line we must be a running team and we had some success running the ball. I understand the gloom and doom based on our recent history, but don't give up based on Sundays game.

Thank you evmiii.

Good post and I agree fully!

The defense held the texans to 10 points and we had bungled opportunities in the red zone twice. We're far from the worst team in the league. Teams have bad games and make mistakes, it's a marathon not a sprint.

With our defense we should have won this game. 17points with 7 from special teams.

Lombardi used to say you can win the game in the last two minutes of the halfs.

Interesting.

Almost all those plays are passes, except the token almost mandatory run on first down to start the drive. Gruden, defending his run pass ratio today, was justifying it being even by eliminating all the passes RG3 attempted at the end of both halves. 

The problem with that, is that is where our team struggles mightily. When everyone knows we will pass, we are forced to dink and dunk because that is all the OL will allow time for. That is the time most good teams seem to march down the field with ease. 

It's one reason I never liked the Shanahan offense, you have to have a lead, by first running the ball to allow for play action to make the pass work. There is too much parity in the league to think you will never have to go pass happy, and it is dumb to not try to score at the end of halves even with a lead. Think last nights first half. We could have used points there. 

RG3 will  have to scramble to make our 2 minute offense work with Grudens current play calling on deep routes. 

There is no excuse for many of the plays called yesterday, piss poor game plan. We have the weapons to stretch the field now, so why the hell are we throwing short passes against an aggressive Defense, that reminded me of Jason Campbell. 

In my opinion a quality OL is an even more essential "weapon" in stretching the field than the skill players.  Our game plan was designed to counteract our severely blocking-impaired OL, but you can only do so much.

After looking at the highlights, I don't think RG3 did as bad as I initially thought. "Yea I fell into the Blame RG3 for the loss too". He does seem afraid in the pocket, like a lost or caged puppy who's not used to being in a cage. While he made some initial mistakes, (every QB does it) the O Line is abysmal. Watt had his way with Polumbus, why he and Chester are still on the team is the biggest mystery of the offseason. I mean even if Cousins came in the game, the results would be the same, with probably an interception, no QB would survive that tragedy minus Trent Williams who did a great job containing Clowney. With the first pick of the 2015 draft they must select the top RT, no questions asked, hell maybe their first 2 picks. I guess I must resort back to my "Fix Da Oline!" steez. They absolutely MUST make changes because they will not have a successful season if the offensive line is that atrocious, and it was just a blah game overall, as if some players were half sleeping out there, stupid mistakes, iffy play calling from Gruden (I guess trying to get the jitter bugs out), and inconsistency from the offense.

The positive takeaways from the game was that our run game will still be a force to be reckoned with. Morris and Helu did a great job pounding the ball. The defense did okay as well. Really, really glad we have Clark back there. I just hope this is that one "weird" game that they got out of the way, and will finally get on the same page. I'm not in panic mode......yet. Don't disappoint me Skins, which is asking a lot these days.lol

Helu's lack of blocking,Young blocking our Roberts and Rambo being beat deep lost the game for us on three plays.

Rewatching now, my lord Watt just destroyed Lauvao and then Chester on the next snap, all on our first series of just 3 plays.  Its like our OL do not even try to get low for leverage, which I thought was key to being a good OL.  We did rollout RG3 left in that 2nd series, but only gave him Jordan as a blocker. RG3 got sacked as it appears Garcon was covered. Need all 22 help. 

Next series, Lauvao got pushed into RG3 by 93. There was basically no resistance at all. RG3 was hit basically on every early throw in the game, and Gruden was forced to go quick pass. 

Rewatching now, my lord Watt just destroyed Lauvao and then Chester on the next snap, all on our first series of just 3 plays.  Its like our OL do not even try to get low for leverage, which I thought was key to being a good OL.  We did rollout RG3 left in that 2nd series, but only gave him Reed Jordan as a blocker. RG3 got sacked as it appears Garcon was covered. Need all 22 help. 

Next series, Lauvao got pushed into RG3 by 93. There was basically no resistance at all. RG3 was hit basically on every early throw in the game, and Gruden was forced to go quick pass. 

An Gruden said the oline was okay... yeah if okay=terrible.

Quick question. Is it only ok to place blame on certain players? I ask because I never hear anyone call out the oline ever. Other than fans. Gruden has never but I've heard him call out other players but it seems like for whatever reason the oline get a pass...wonder why.

An Gruden said the oline was okay... yeah if okay=terrible.

Quick question. Is it only ok to place blame on certain players? I ask because I never hear anyone call out the oline ever. Other than fans. Gruden has never but I've heard him call out other players but it seems like for whatever reason the oline get a pass...wonder why.

I don't think the OL getting blown up early should be sugar coated. The OL did ok.  It's bunk. The game plan gets tossed out the window after the first few series. It was easy to see, and should be not ignored. We went to the quick pass offense. We had to for RG3 to survive the first half. 

To your question, he pointed out faults today by player in the afternoon presser. I thought I was the only one to dare point out a bad play by Trent until I heard him today. Its refreshing. Grading the OL starts with the LT for a RH QB and all the way across. But I think the OL should be graded as a whole because we as fans don't always know who is to blame on a blitz pickup etc. 

I wish the coaching staff would have worried as much about Kory L, Chester and Polumbus's pass blocking as much as they did Lache Seastrunk since that is what the OL gets payed to do.

Sadly I think Lauvao may need to be added into the discussion. Lets see how he does next week and revisit the OL pass pro grades. 

The Texans are not the worst team in the league and neither are we. Cmon man.

As a fan, I have very low expectations for this season. A double-digit loss season is almost certain. While we may not be THE worst we're easily one of the worst. Sadly, a 6-10 season (my "official" prediction for this year's record) would actually be quite an improvement seeing as it'll be twice as many wins as last year. This team is not good, plain and simple. If all goes according to plan they just may challenge for a playoff spot next year.

For the people who say I'm quitting after one week, I'm not. This has been my prediction all along and I've yet to see anything to change my perspective. Yesterday just confirmed what I already knew, this team has a ways to go before being competitive.

Wow, since we're obviously so bad, why play the rest of the season and risk more injuries?

I say we concede the remaining games and get ready for next year.

Oh sarcasm. How intelligent.

I'll try to respond as seriously as I can

No, this team needs the reps. They won't get better mailing it in. This is a rebuilding year, plain and simple. Of the 6 wins I predict this team will get, I expect at least 4 to come in the 2nd half of the season. This team will improve but it's clearly a work in progress.

Anyway, there's no need to act like a jerk.

When does the OL coach take responsibility for the lack of pass pro we've seen for the pass 4 years. The run blocking is excellent but pass pro needs a lot of work. We tend to blame the players, but the OL coaching needs to be brought up. We've had a few dozens OL play for this team in the pass 10 years, And barring the LT (Samuels and William) they have all sucked in pass pro.

I wish the coaching staff would have worried as much about Kory L, Chester and Polumbus's pass blocking as much as they did Lache Seastrunk since that is what the OL gets payed to do.

Agreed. If the oline is built to run the ball then we have the wrong coach in here. Its funny he admit he should have ran the ball more but there no doubt if he was in the same situation again he'd pass, pass & pass again.

If you're going to stay with this oline you have to run the ball because they cannot pass protect minus TWill.

When does the OL coach take responsibility for the lack of pass pro we've seen for the pass 4 years. The run blocking is excellent but pass pro needs a lot of work. We tend to blame the players, but the OL coaching needs to be brought up. We've had a few dozens OL play for this team in the pass 10 years, And barring the LT (Samuels and William) they have all sucked in pass pro.

It's one reason I wanted Foerster replaced this past offseason. Everyone was beating the drums for Haslett, but here we have a Shanahan holdover that could not produce, and still has not produced, a starting OL from a draft pick that he has had during his tenure.  Trent does not count. I think I was the only one that wanted him gone; no one even seemed interested in a discussion about him.

He may be great at his job. I have no idea. But I know that if our backups cannot ever supplant one of our starters, at some point there will be absolutely no risk whatsoever, in trying someone else. Watching our OL last year, I think that was this past offseason.

Wow, since we're obviously so bad, why play the rest of the season and risk more injuries?

I say we concede the remaining games and get ready for next year.

Nobody liked Danny Smith but special teams helped lose this game and you get what you wish for sometimes.

It's one reason I wanted Foerster replaced this past offseason. Everyone was beating the drums for Haslett, but here we have a Shanahan holdover that could not produce, and still has not produced, a starting OL from a draft pick that he has had during his tenure.  Trent does not count. I think I was the only one that wanted him gone; no one even seemed interested in a discussion about him.

He may be great at his job. I have no idea. But I know that if our backups cannot ever supplant one of our starters, at some point there will be absolutely no risk whatsoever, in trying someone else. Watching our OL last year, I think that was this past offseason.

I was with you 100%. two of the biggest problem area's on the team over the last however many years have been OL and DB and those coaches where kept. When they were starting over anyway why not try and shake things up at those positions. They had no problem getting rid of one of the best RB coaches in the NFL but kept Foerester who 49er fans were glad to get rid of when the Redskins hired him from them. I wasn't a big fan of the Shanahans but everything wrong with this team wasn't their fault.

Nobody liked Danny Smith but special teams helped lose this game and you get what you wish for sometimes.

Danny Smiths STs were horrid. Check Pittsburgh's ST stats last year. Bottom half of the league again and the Steelers had kicks blocked, penalties and mistakes.

The STs actually got worse under Burns.

While I'm pissed about two more blocks (totally unacceptable), I did notice that other facets of STs were better on Sunday, like kick coverage, punt coverage and returns. I thought they kept the push in the back/ holding penalties down, so there IS hope there.

Word of advice since you dispensed some with the "careful what you wish for," line. "Don't look to past. Look towards the future."

Archived