Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread - Redskins at Texans: Houston, We've Got Problems - UPDATED - Pics

TK

That was 100% on Garçon. The ball was thrown exactly where any QB should put it.

If people are going to blame RG3 for the timing of when the receivers jump then its a pointless discussion.

I'm actually not really a nit picket, and not part of the over-reaction crowd, but I disagree.

That throw needed to be further inside and have more "top" on it to let garçon run under it and use his body position to fend off the defender.

I'm actually not really a nit picket, and not part of the over-reaction crowd, but I disagree.

That throw needed to be further inside and have more "top" on it to let garçon run under it and use his body position to fend off the defender.

oh for goodness sakes.. really?  the throw was low percentage to begin with and it was up to the receiver to make the play.  garçon just mistimed his jump and the defender did better..  you had to do what griff did at that time at that point of the game...  give it to your playmakers to make the play..  it was there.. 

oh for goodness sakes.. really? the throw was low percentage to begin with and it was up to the receiver to make the play. garçon just mistimed his jump and the defender did better.. you had to do what griff did at that time at that point of the game... give it to your playmakers to make the play.. it was there..

I never said it was a bad throw. And it's deep down field, and Garçon could have gotten it.

The post I was responding to said it was perfect. It wasn't. It was ok, and probably good enough.

But it wasn't perfect. And we've seen Griffin do perfect.

Shrug. I give the guy a lot more credit than others are today, and think he had a pretty good game all things considered, but that throw could have been better. Wasn't bad. But could have been better.

RG3 didn't play bad but he didn't play great either. It just looks like he isn't very comfortable in the pocket at all.Seems like he is so afraid of getting hit that it has made him jumpy in the pocket. Im afraid this second knee injury has really made him kind of scared in games.Im thinking thats why all the short passes was called today to let him get the ball away b/c he looked scared to death when being rushed.I hope im wrong and he gets were he comfortable in the pocket again but it has me worried.

They bring in Desean Jackson and you hardly notice the difference.  That's on Gruden.

No, that's on Houston's D who was stingy against the deep pass last year and played soft coverage this game because they put excellent pressure on the QB from their front. Gruden made adjustments at the half which is why we started moving the ball then.

I had to miss all of NFL Sunday because of work. It looks like the Redskins managed to make the score somewhat competitive today. Which is an improvement from last year's opening game where it was over by halftime. Congratulations! Next week maybe work on not getting kicks blocked then the following week work on not turning the ball over. With small progress there may even be a few games this season where you score more points than the other team. Then, who knows? Maybe by 2020 we just might have something that remotely resembles a professional football team. Baby steps Washington, baby steps.

Anyway, I won't see any Sunday NFL action between now and November 2nd with the exception of next Sunday...against jax which means the team actually has a slight chance of winning. What's really sad is that I'm not even disappointed that I have to miss so much of the season. My official prediction for this season was 6-10 and right now that even looks a bit optimistic

The only thing positive today was that the cowpiles lost too. And yeah, we got problems.

Do we have problems, sure, are they fixable sure. Considering how overmatched our O-line was (against one of the best we will see), the reason we lost was our mistakes, not inability. This doesn't guarantee anything good or bad for the rest of the season at this point, what matters is how the players and especially coaches do to correct this.

I liked Bob's pocket presence and his patience, he wasn't quick to scramble and he made some good throws. Its a different conversation if they don't have those two fumbles.

The blocked punt and the 2 fumbles were the story of the game.  If they don't occur, the outcome is probably very different.  Winning the turnover battle is the key in every football game.  The Skins were -3 counting the blocked punt which would've put the defense right back on the field even if he hadn't scored the TD.  The Texans made fewer mistakes and executed their game plan which the Skins didn't and that's why they lost.  

The blocked punt and the 2 fumbles were the story of the game.  If they don't occur, the outcome is probably very different.  Winning the turnover battle is the key in every football game.  The Skins were -3 counting the blocked punt which would've put the defense right back on the field even if he hadn't scored the TD.  The Texans made fewer mistakes and executed their game plan which the Skins didn't and that's why they lost.  

If the Redskins defense can stop Ryan Fitzpatrick from going all RG3 with that big run i the 4th quarter, Skins have a chance for a tying drive. Game was still in play at that point so hard to say the game was over before then.

Going into this game I viewed this season as a blank slate, with no expectations whatsoever. After this game, nothing has changed: it's still very much a blank slate. We could be good, we could be bad. For that matter I'd say the same about Houston. I hope we can iron out these fumble/block issues, as they cost us the game. I'm very relieved, though, to see that RG3 was throwing the ball away and looking to pass on scrambles rather than run. I wish Gruden had gone ahead and challenged the ruling on the Roberts non-catch; even if we'd lost the challenge, I think it would've been worth the risk of losing a TO, particularly in the 1st half.

I wish Gruden had gone ahead and challenged the ruling on the Roberts non-catch; even if we'd lost the challenge, I think it would've been worth the risk of losing a TO, particularly in the 1st half.

He did challenge, ruling on the field stands.......the views weren't great.

RG3 could have thrown it a couple yards away from the sideline, and Roberts could have ensured his feet were further away from the sidelines and still caught the ball (different angle coming back to the ball). If my memory is correct RG3 was running pretty fast to his right so it was a difficult play.........it would have been nice to have it connect though.

After looking at the highlights, I don't think RG3 did as bad as I initially thought. "Yea I fell into the Blame RG3 for the loss too". He does seem afraid in the pocket, like a lost or caged puppy who's not used to being in a cage. While he made some initial mistakes, (every QB does it) the O Line is abysmal. Watt had his way with Polumbus, why he and Chester are still on the team is the biggest mystery of the offseason. I mean even if Cousins came in the game, the results would be the same, with probably an interception, no QB would survive that tragedy minus Trent Williams who did a great job containing Clowney. With the first pick of the 2015 draft they must select the top RT, no questions asked, hell maybe their first 2 picks. I guess I must resort back to my "Fix Da Oline!" steez. They absolutely MUST make changes because they will not have a successful season if the offensive line is that atrocious, and it was just a blah game overall, as if some players were half sleeping out there, stupid mistakes, iffy play calling from Gruden (I guess trying to get the jitter bugs out), and inconsistency from the offense.

The positive takeaways from the game was that our run game will still be a force to be reckoned with. Morris and Helu did a great job pounding the ball. The defense did okay as well. Really, really glad we have Clark back there. I just hope this is that one "weird" game that they got out of the way, and will finally get on the same page. I'm not in panic mode......yet. Don't disappoint me Skins, which is asking a lot these days.lol

The only thing positive today was that the cowpiles lost too. And yeah, we got problems.

Do we have problems, sure, are they fixable sure. Considering how overmatched our O-line was (against one of the best we will see), the reason we lost was our mistakes, not inability. This doesn't guarantee anything good or bad for the rest of the season at this point, what matters is how the players and especially coaches do to correct this.

Agree in part.  However, the operative word was "today." 

Imo, the missed extra point, fumbles, blocked punt for a TD lost us the game. We moved the ball but could not score. It's like a pilot who does great on take offs but can not land.

I just saw on sports center that only 7 of RG3's attempts went over 10 yards. If so that is pathetic. Im sick of this dink and dunk offense when you have garcon jackson and roberts

Then you're sick of the modern NFL and not anything you saw from our game

From this weeks games:

Manning: 7.5ypa

Griffin: 7.2 ypa

Rodgers: 5.7ypa

Wilson: 6.8ypa

Luck: 7ypa

Brady: 4.4ypa

Then you're sick of the modern NFL and not anything you saw from our game

From this weeks games:

Manning: 7.5ypa

Griffin: 7.2 ypa

Rodgers: 5.7ypa

Wilson: 6.8ypa

Luck: 7ypa

Brady: 4.4ypa

Yeah, but that's yards per ATTEMPT.  Griffin didn't have very many incomplete passes.  BUT, I agree, the modern NFL passing style sucks.

Yeah, but that's yards per ATTEMPT.  Griffin didn't have very many incomplete passes.  BUT, I agree, the modern NFL passing style sucks.

It's also an average of all passes thrown, I'm pretty certain that all the qb's except griffin had more than a few passes actually travel in the air further than 5 yards past the LOS (not counting his one pass to paul)

Archived