Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread - Redskins at Texans: Houston, We've Got Problems - UPDATED - Pics

TK

There's not much to say, as deep down inside I was expecting this no matter how many times I told myself we might come out on fire.

That being said, my biggest fear is that Griffin has completely lost his ability to be elusive whether inside or outside the pocket. He shows no burst to elude guy running behind him. He can't make guys coming at him head on miss. He can't side-step or juke anyone. He doesn't even show that quick movement within the pocket that he had in 2012 where he'd be able to take quick stutter steps and make pass rushers miss or just find better passing lanes.

It's devastating to think, but I keep looking for any of those signs and I'm not seeing it. I don't know. Maybe it's just his comfort level right now or confidence that's the issue... but if it isn't that. :(  

I tend to agree - the conversation out there is the Wilson is head and shoulders above Griffin, but I think that is 100% about the supporting cast (defense, Oline, and general football competence) of Seattle.  Griffin throws a good accurate ball - Wilson still struggles with intermediate and deep ball accuracy.  It's almost tragic that we got the best deep ball target in the league (Jackson) and we can't do anything with him because our Oline is a turnstile.

Its not our OLINE.. Its RG.  They can’t run any real plays for him because he can’t read D’s.  What do you think they have been working on with him during the whole off season???  Wake up people.  

Does the Oline mess up?  Yes, but even when he has time, he’s a scared rabbit.  

Until he proves he can win in the pocket, I’m not going to believe he can win with this team. He’s got tons of weapons and its sad that most of his passes to them are 5 yards or less. I’m not saying it was all him but as Griffin stated.. “the offense goes as I go”. 6 points is 6 points. Can you honestly say you were Wowed by him at all today? After all his “proving the doubters wrong rhetoric” can you say he started off on the right foot?

Their D was in the backfield all day while their DBs sat off our WRs 5-10 yards. Where and what exactly was Griffin supposed to do? He took what was there with the protection he had. Funny that most the people on 980 that bash Griffin are saying he looked good from the pocket and for the most part made the right throws. He got the ball to those tons of weapons and they got tackled on contact.

Its not our OLINE.. Its RG.  They can’t run any real plays for him because he can’t read D’s.  What do you think they have been working on with him during the whole off season???  Wake up people.  

He threw 26/31 today with that bad OL. What more do you want from a 3rd year qb learning his 2nd offseason coming off a bad knee injury? He played decent in his first game in a new offense. Wait until game 6-7 to really complain....now I'm done

Our screw up this season was getting Jackson and not a RT.  If we had a ham sandwich to spend on one, I'm sure it'd be an improvement.  Jackson is an amazing player and there isn't anything wrong with him but we really need a C, RG, and a RT way more than a WR and we spent more than what we should have on him considering those circumstances.

I'm sick of Rak though too. I'm glad we drafted Murphy to replace him.   So far I wouldn't give him anywhere near what he thinks he's worth. I wish him luck on finding a mediocre team that will give him what he thinks he's worth. 

As for RG3, if he played anything like he did when he was drafted, I'd be happy with spending all those picks on him.  He seemed so comfortable that year.  I cant whine over the picks we spent cause he might have been worth it barring his injury or a better OLine.  I still don't think he played terrible today minus the botched hand off.  That was dumb.

I think most who are lashing out at Robert are not really frustrated with his play in this particular game but what really bugs them is that its becoming apparent he was not worth 2 1st rounders and a 2nd. So those of you who don't care for Robert just make this your argument because it has serious legs and its what scares the hell out of some of our fanbase.

Who cares? We're past those picks now and Griffin is out QB. let's move on and make the best of it

I think most who are lashing out at Robert are not really frustrated with his play in this particular game but what really bugs them is that its becoming apparent he was not worth 2 1st rounders and a 2nd.  So those of you who don't care for Robert just make this your argument because it has serious legs and its what scares the hell out of some of our fanbase.

I can't tell the future, but even if that's what they think then they should say that and not that he had a bad game today.

But in regards to that, I want a SB. If we can win one with Griffin playing like he did today, then I'm all for it. I like the fact that we tried to get him into a rhythm. I like the fact that the WRs were getting yards after the catch, I do wish we were making more deep balls, but this is not like Jason Campbell where the problem was his deep ball accuracy. This is not like Grossman/Cousins where the problem is that he's too willing to take a deep ball. This isn't even like Brunell where the problem is that he doesn't have a deep ball. This isn't even like McNabb where the problem is his short ball accuracy. This is about RG3 learning to sit in the pocket longer and take the checkdown instead of always running at the sight of pressure.

I was telling a friend that If RG3 can learn to stay in the pocket, or behind the LOS for a second longer on average, then he could probably average one more big play per game. This game was probably on the ultra-conservative side of things where he didn't use his legs at all, and that's not why we drafted him either. He has the legs to challenge a defense, but I think that its a process right now where he's trying to learn how much he wants to be like TRomo in Dallas, how much like BRoth in Pitt, how much like RWils in Seattle, how much like ARog in GB, and how much like MVick in ATL, or KStew in Pitt.

Gruden said it in his press conference - he wants Griffin to run when he has it. But I think the thing about the preseason was about Griffin learning to stay in the pocket longer. There's a difference between a drive in the first and a drive in the 4th. In the 4th, on that last drive he did run and pitch it to Helu. I'd have liked to have seen more of that earlier in the game.

But it is a question of whether it will all come together. Will he ever have his rookie year speed? I don't know, but does he need it? Wilson/Rogers/Kaep/ other qbs don't have that speed. I just want him to be a good decision maker and I was impressed with many of his decisions today.

Their D was in the backfield all day while their DBs sat off our WRs 5-10 yards. Where and what exactly was Griffin supposed to do? He took what was there with the protection he had. Funny that most the people on 980 that bash Griffin are saying he looked good from the pocket and for the most part made the right throws. He got the ball to those tons of weapons and they got tackled on contact.

Wait a few more games…  Thats gonna change, especially when we average 10 points a game.  I hope the O gets better but I don’t see it with Griffin running it.  I think Shannahan was right and might get the last laugh after all.  Like he said “we’ll let that one play itself out”.  Shannahan isn’t a dumb cookie ya know.  The guys been around a long time and has had a pretty good draft record and its obvious it wasn’t him who wanted Griffin… hence the Cousins taking.  

Did he play like a 2 over all pick?  Thats the question.

What the **** are you even talking about? Even Gruden said they ran soft zone to take away the deep passes so Griffin made the right choices not forcing the passes and taking what they gave him. Only Redskins fans would blame the QB after he completed 75% of his passes with no interceptions and over 250 passing yards. It's not the special teams that allowed two blocks, one of which took a point off the board and the other which gave points to the opponent.

Baby steps.

He was NOT bad in this game NOR was he very good.

He can only build on it as he progresses as a pocket passer.

It sucks we lost but becoming an efficient pocket passer doesn't happen overnight. Just ask Steve Young. They persisted with him and he became a success.

It would be nice for Skins fan to have the same patience the 49s did with Steve Young.

Only time will tell.

Problem is young showed improvement.. Still waiting on griffin, and time is running short

Wait a few more games…  Thats gonna change, especially when we average 10 points a game.  I hope the O gets better but I don’t see it with Griffin running it.  I think Shannahan was right and might get the last laugh after all.  Like he said “we’ll let that one play itself out”.  Shannahan isn’t a dumb cookie ya know.  The guys been around a long time and has had a pretty good draft record and its obvious it wasn’t him who wanted Griffin… hence the Cousins taking.  

Did he play like a 2 over all pick?  Thats the question.

Shanahan actually hasn't had all that good of a draft record. That was one of the major issues that got him fired in Denver.

He threw 26/31 today with that bad OL. What more do you want from a 3rd year qb learning his 2nd offseason coming off a bad knee injury? He played decent in his first game in a new offense. Wait until game 6-7 to really complain....now I'm don

Lol.  Stop with the stats.  6 points is the stat that really matters.  He’s supposed to be an athletic QB remember?  He’s supposed to avoid the rush and lengthen plays remember?  There was basically very little spark in this offense today.  The QB is the center of it all and really starts there. 

Archived