Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread - Redskins at Texans: Houston, We've Got Problems - UPDATED - Pics

TK

The game was so dissapointing in so many ways. It seems like a new year but the same team with the same problems.

The Oline was horrible. You have to take it with a grain of salt because JJ Watt and company will make a lot of olines look bad this year but we could not control them. Too often when RGIII dropped back to pass there were multiple defenders baring down on him. He did not have time to take a 5 step drop let alone a 7. There was no time to allow the WRs to get down field.

They adjusted the passing plays to allow him to get the ball out quickly which makes sense but it simply did not produce enough yards. They did a decent job at run blocking which we should have done more of, later on that. It will be interesting to see how we play against Jacksonville. I would rate them a D+ only because we could run the ball.

RGIII was OK. Not great and not as bad as many people are saying. RGIII missed the throw to Roberts on the sideline. He was late his footing was poor and he missed it. As another poster pointed out had he read it properly he would have throw it downfield leading Roberts to a TD. The throw to Paul was nice and you cannot lay it on RGIII that Paul put it on the ground. He made some solid throws he made some good reads but there is lots of room for improvement.

The fumble of the exchange was all on RGIII. It is another example of RGIII unwilling to accept that some plays simply will fail and not go anywhere. As he was stumbling he should have simply eaten the ball and lost a few yards instead he did not accept the facts it was a bad play and turned a short loss into a redzone turnover. Poor decision making on his part.

He is not moving well in the pocket. He does not seem to have a feel for it. He is also taking poor angles when trying to escape the pocket. I am not sure if it is because he is slow or simply taking bad angles. As others have pointed out he also is not stepping up into the pocket to avoid the rushers. He always retreats or trys to bounce outside which is not working. He can't get the corner and when he retreats he looses yards.

I will say he threw the ball away and slid more then he has in the past. I do not fault him for the short throws because too often no one was open and the rush was on him to quickly. I would grade him a B-.

HBs ran well. We should have run more. We relied to heavily on the short passing game. It would have been better to soften that pass rush with heavy dose of Morris. We are not a good enough team upfront to drop back and pass as much as we did. IIRC we only ran 18 or 19 times. More balance would have helped. I know Gruden is a passing guy but when you are avg 6+ yards a carry you need to stick with it. Grade the HB A- because Morris put the ball on the ground.

WRs/TEs did what they could. Upfront pressure by Watt and company limited what they could do. I do not think they got open enough but they did well enough with the opportunities they were given. They had limited opportunities. It was hard to evaulate Jackson because if there is not enough time to get down the field you limit his effectiveness. Garcon played his usually role but again just not enough opportunities to get down the field. Pauls fumble killed us. Reed is too injury prone. Honestly I do not think they can trust either one to produce on a regular basis. Grade C+

The Defense was ok but it wore down as the game went on. The pass rush was avg at best. They should have been able to get to Fitzpatrick more than we did. Rak was non-existent. I do not remember seeing him make a play the entire game. He is an avg pass rusher and a horrrible OLB.  Kerrigan was OK showed some push but not consistent. He is a better all around OLB but needs another playmaker on the other side of the ball. Rambo is pathetic. He play is piss poor. The TD pass was 100% on him. The rest of the secondary played well enough to get the win. There were some missed tackles but they only gave up 10 points. I would grade them a B.

Special Teams was well special. The 2 blocked kicks were 100% on the blockers. Helu whiffed on the block exposing the punter to a rusher who had so much time he was able to adjust his angle and his hands to perfectly block the kick. The punter was a little slow to get the ball off but if Helu gets his hands on the rusher the punt gets away.  Tress Way punted well for the rest of the game. He had decent length and decent hang time. IMHO The extra point was simply Watt earning every bit of his $100 Million. Not Kias fault. Kias kickoffs were decent. They made the endzone IIRC although they were a little flat so they were returnable. Grade them out D+.

Coaching Staff: The play calling was not stellar. They called too many passing plays when the run game was working. The pass rush killed our down the field passing game. All that was left was short passes which were no working. Yes we completed passes but they did not equal yards. On the defensive side I would have liked to see more pressure. Never been a fan of Hasslett. No need to rehash the special teams issues. Clearly we have not fixed that problem. Grade for coaches: C-

So in the end once again we lost another game that we should have won. Overall we played a poor game. A win was there for the taking but poor special teams, redzone turnovers and poor oline play cost us the game. We also had some dumb penalties which did not help the cause. The Texans are not a good team but they are not as bad as their record was last season. They have one of the best pass rushes in the game and we need to remember that. It is one game out of 16. The Eagles strugggled early today before getting on track. The Cowboys are going to loose and hopefully the Giants lay an egg Monday night. So on to week #2 and Jacksonville.

I don't think the throw to Garçon was bad, the dude mistimed his jump or he would have gotten both hands on it. The only throw the guy needs back is the one to Robert's; that was big. RG played okay, after a bad start. What is ugly is the right side of the offensive line. Hard to scheme when you are working with that mess. I would start Spencer Long in place of Chester next week.

I really wonder if after reviewing the game tape we see someone new at RT/RG next week. Or, at minimum if the inactives change next week. if Reed/Coefield/Goldston are hurt then that's three inactives right there. But If Moses and/or Long are active, I wonder if they get playing time next week, particularly if the right side struggles. And I wonder if we're not starting them now because of how well our right side run blocked today.

Nobody could make Polumbus look worse than he is... If anything, RG3 saved Polumbus (AKA turnstiles) 2 sacks.

Polumbus needs to be cut tomorrow.

Further, the D and Kerrigan played great... Get a clue Caps

Not sure we watched the same game.  Fitzpatrick is a marginal QB and we gave him all day to throw.  Good D's don't allow offenses to hold the ball for 5 minutes and march 55 yards near the end of the game when you are down a score.  If you go beyond points given up and watch the play, our problems were not defensive mistakes.  Im fact there was really only one or two defensive mistakes all day.  We were manhandled up front.  That will not bode well against better offenses and better QBs.  Defense will be bad this season, perhaps a tad better than last year.  

I hope Robert begins to look more fluid. He looks all arms and limbs, like an awkward teenager on a first date.

When he's on his game he can be so natural. If that means setting him free and taking our chances, then sobeit.

Forcing him into becoming a pure pocket passer will remain a work in progress for now.

That was 100% on Garçon. The ball was thrown exactly where any QB should put it.

If people are going to blame RG3 for the timing of when the receivers jump then its a pointless discussion.

I'm pretty sure RGIII also caused the recent, major Ebola break out as well...

Caps, I'm not sure what pocket you want RG3 to slide into. You mean the one where Chester is getting abused and pushed back to RG3 within one second of the ball being snapped. Something needs to be done about the RG and RT position. At this point, what would it hurt to rotate Long and Moses in for a few plays a game for them to get experience?

Moses was LT most preseason to get him better acclimated to NFL by playing a familiar position. Compton is more game-ready for RT and he and Long should be starting IMO.

Caps, I'm not sure what pocket you want RG3 to slide into. You mean the one where Chester is getting abused and pushed back to RG3 within one second of the ball being snapped. Something needs to be done about the RG and RT position. At this point, what would it hurt to rotate Long and Moses in for a few plays a game for them to get experience?

There were a couple plays off the top of my head when he ran toward Reed rushing on the outside instead of stepping up where there was space.  One in particular stood out to me (I think  it was in the first half?) because he looked awkward running, couldn't get around the corner on the guy.  

Archived