Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES Game Day Coverage & Game Day Thread - Redskins at Texans: Houston, We've Got Problems - UPDATED - Pics

TK

BTW, now, somebody, about an hour and 20 pages ago, posted a point that I thought deserved amplification, here. 

AlMo finished the game, averaging 6.5 yards/carry

Helu finished the game averaging 11.5 yards/carry

And yet, the two of them combined had 18 carries, compared to 40 pass attempts. 

(I assume I'm calculating things correctly.  Robert was 29/37, and there were 3 sacks credited, so I assume that's 40 pass attempts.) 

Now, at the time, I didn't think our running game was working that well.  (Which is surprising, to me.  Usually, I could just take a sharpie, and write the words "run the ball more" on my forehead, the way I'm trying to telepathically call the plays, during the game. 

In fact, during the game, I was feeling pretty impressed with the play calling.  I thought that Rob had no time at all, the whole game.  but we were calling plays where he at least had the option of getting rid of the ball instantly, and he was doing so (and was correct in doing so, as near as I could tell).  And completing them. 

But at least according to the stats, we really should have been running the ball more. 

Possible high ankle sprain for Cofield?

If Cofield is out we're back to where we were last year on the DL if not worse.

1 disruptive player and some decent rotational DL.

At least now we'll likely see what many of us always wanted Baker at NT.

Let's all pray, for real, that Barry is okay.

DL don't grow on trees.

But at least according to the stats, we really should have been running the ball more.

That was his rep in Cincy.

DL don't grow on trees.

Don't forget about Hatcher. How's he doing?

Good thing we traded down and grabbed Murphy.

DL don't grow on trees.

Well, people were excited about #99 in the preseason. Maybe this is finally the year that he actually shows up.

AlMo finished the game, averaging 6.5 yards/carry

Helu finished the game averaging 11.5 yards/carry

And yet, the two of them combined had 18 carries, compared to 40 pass attempts. 

Agreed.

As soon as Jay was hired I resigned myself to accepting that Jay will not run the ball enough for my liking.

(To be fair I favor a run heavy playcalling.) But, I told myself I wouldn't complain about style as long as we scored points and picked up yards.

I thought we didn't run the ball enough in the first half especially when the passing game wasn't on track.

And I didn't like the way we ran the ball i.e. base formation instead of spread-sub package personnel.

Good thing we traded down and grabbed Murphy.

Yeah.

It was a poorly coached game.  Play calling was horrific.

I don't know if I'd go that far. The last drive was all passes and basically a 2 minute drill, so do we count those 6 passes?

On the drive before that

1-10, RG3 pass to Garcon for 8

2-2, Morris up middle for 9

1-10, RG3 pass to Garcon for 11

1-10, RG3 sacked

2-16, RG3 pass to Jackson for 16

1-10, Morris right for -4

2-14, RG3 pass to Paulsen for -3

3-17, RG3 pass incomplete to Garcon

So on that drive we start with a pass and a run but the negative plays hurt us. The sack, which kinda forces a pass on the next play. The Morris run for -4, then the pass to Paulsen for -3.

Before that it was a 5 play drive all passes, which seems pretty bad, but I saw that as kinda balance from the all run drive we had earlier.

Before that was a drive

1-10, RG3 pass to DJax for 17.

1-10, Morris up middle for 4, but holding calls it back.

1-16, RG3 pass to Garcon for 10

2-6, RG3 runs for 1 yard

3-5, RG3 pass to Paul for 17

1-10, Morris for 9

2-1, Morris for 6

1-10, Helu for 18

1-10, Morris for 4

2-6, RG3 incomplete

3-6, the roughing the passer penalty

1-7, fumble on handoff

So on this drive, we see a nice balance of run and pass. We're only passing more because of things like the holding call, and the short run by RG3.

Few observations:

1. Griffin doesn't have one tenth of his 2012 speed and quickness.  He simply cannot accelerate with a lineman angling in on him.  Can people stop calling him a great athlete now?  1.5 years removed from surgery, he's not rehabbing any more.  This is the new RG3, a QB with average NFL mobility  and little desire to run.  Bootlegs (like what Fitzpatrick ran in the 4th) were there for the taking.

2. He makes Polombus look worse than he is.  The better QBs in this league feel the outside pressure and slide up in the pocket.  

3. He did make some ice throws and was more decisive than in the preseason.  I'll give him a "C".  However, not what I expect out of a guy we traded 3 1st rounders and a second rounder for.  

4. I think if you look beyond the 10 defensive points given up, there is a lot of reason for concern with this defense.  Minimal pass rush pressure and once again a team was able to run out the clock.  How many times have we seen this before?  Orakpo and Kerrigan are decent at best pass rushers.  

Just for reference -

The SAME PEOPLE saying Cousins "stunk up the joint" and was one of the worst QBs in the league last year are the SAME people sticking up for RG3 today.

For reference, in the Atlanta game last year, Cousins OVERCAME 2 fumbles (one by Moss, one by Morris) to March our team down the field in the closing seconds of the 4th quarter and get the game-tying td. Oh yeah, he happened to throw over 400 yards that day and take only 1 sack.

Yet Cousins stunk up the joint. And that was START NUMBER TWO in his NFL career.

RG3 was a non-factor (unless you want to say he was a negative factor) for the vast majority of the game today. The only pass he could seem to hit with regularity were 6 yard comeback routes. He spent the whole day with Brunell-in-2006 pocket awareness, where he would take his drop, make his first read, and then either drop back even further or run out of the pocket instead of stepping up into the pocket like we pay him to do. Of course Polumbus looks horrible when he spends all day forming a pocket that Robert won't step up into (which is not to say Polumbus didn't get beat - he did. But he had very little help from his qb).

Yet it was everybody else's fault. RG3 played fine, and if you blame this on him you're a moron.

I'd like to see these same people go back and tip their hat to Cousins, who did more with less in his second start ever.

Caps, I'm not sure what pocket you want RG3 to slide into. You mean the one where Chester is getting abused and pushed back to RG3 within one second of the ball being snapped. Something needs to be done about the RG and RT position. At this point, what would it hurt to rotate Long and Moses in for a few plays a game for them to get experience?

Archived