Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

At first blush, I was wrong about...

Burgold

Although my anger got the best of me last year, I am still high on Haz.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Hall yet. There were almost none of us that thought he was playing great and now he is the leader of our defense.

I have little faith in the Roys and don't think either are worth the roster spot. I will possibly be wrong about that.

I was wrong in thinking that Lavar Arrington would mature as he got older and stop his petty bashing of the team that made him a multi millioniare. He was my favorite player until he started his crap about Joe Gibbs and he hasn't stopped hating the team since. It kind of boggles my mind that he is holding camps to teach kids the proper way of tackling and is also on the NFL network criticizing the way players are playing. It doesn't make any sense. 

At first blush I was wrong about K. Rob. Like you Burgold, I was scratching my head on why we didn't sign or draft somebody to replace Fletch. I didn't think Robinson would ever really be starter material and who knows how he will actually pan out. He is definitely worthy of the starting position and I now think he will do a good job.

Great thread man

I'll start by saying, I absolutely loathe the retention of Hazzhole (and still do damn it :angry:), but I'm not ready to get all blushy yet. :P Hopefully, I can revisit this thread at the end of the year and have a nice big helping of crow while blushing. :D

On a serious note (and you guys might think this to be a little odd), I was doing the proverbial :o:blink: WTF when we selected K Hocker. I realize it was a 7th round pick, but I figured at the very least the pick could've been served better on other positions. With that said, Hocker seems to have a slight edge on Forbath and has been a solid pick for competition for the kicking job.

I'll start by saying, I absolutely loathe the retention of Hazzhole (and still do damn it :angry:), but I'm not ready to get all blushy yet. :P Hopefully, I can revisit this thread at the end of the year and have a nice big helping of crow while blushing. :D

On a serious note (and you guys might think this to be a little odd), I was doing the proverbial :o:blink: WTF when we selected K Hocker. I realize it was a 7th round pick, but I figured at the very least the pick could've been served better on other positions. With that said, Hocker seems to have a slight edge on Forbath and has been a solid pick for competition for the kicking job.

Yeah at the time we drafted Hocker I was thinking the same thing. Unless the Redskins FO got wind that another team wanted him, I still think we should've drafted a position player. That being said Hocker is playing very well and I'm hoping he wins the job. We need somebody that can boot kickoffs out of the endzone.

One thing I think i was wrong about was I thought 98 was our best ROLB but having seen Kerrigan has come out on fire in the preseason and I could see them switching around a lot. 

I actually liked the Grant pick up in the draft, i have been surprised by Breeland but I am not sure my reservations about Moses were not well founded (i am glad we did not take him earlier).

I was wrong in thinking the media and fans would find a different whipping boy and move on from the micro scrutinization of RGIII especially with Johny Football in the NFL..

I was suprised about how late I am for work... damn !

This thread should be reserved for the end of the season lol.

That's why it's "at first blush" not after all the evidence is in.  Besides, really you don't "know" until a guy's career is over.  After all, how would you have ranked Brett Farve after his rookie year or Elway for that matter.  No, this is our assessment after our very first opinions.  That girl across the room that we just saw for the first time and just had the chance to yell a few words to over the blaring loud music and maybe share a drink that we are trying to figure out if we want to see her again.

I don't mind people going back for other stuff.  But Spurrier's a done deal.  We know everything we need to know about his record here. The only speculation is what would have happened if we paired him with a top notch GM and I think the answer is still... pretty much the same.

I have been wrong more times than I can count, or would care to count up going through my...extensive...posting history here over the years. :)

So some things off the top of my head, trying to steer clear of the big ones others have posted:

Three times in the last 3-5 years I've pounded the table all draft to grab a guy who's "falling", thinking our FO is stupid, only to see him drafted by us MUCH later. Examples include Seastrunk, Rambo, and I believe Selvish Capers. This isn't even mentioning the guys who "fell" out of the draft entirely and became UDFA's that I screamed for from round 4 and on. Examples include Da'Rick Rogers and Vontaze Burfict (and I highly doubt Burfict would have worked out here as he has with the Bengals, honestly).

It's foolish, when you think about how sure we all think we are about the draft on draft weekend. All the Grant posts in this thread are good examples here so far. Some of us really do know a lot. I'm not generally one of them. But on draft weekend, we're all experts.

On an ES note, I have to say I was totally and puzzlingly wrong about LKB. For some reason when I was younger his posts really rubbed me the wrong way, but now whenever I see he's posted in the Stadium, I can't help but nod along and appreciate his viewpoint, and usually the delivery as well. So, I apologize, LKB.

I thought that at least 1 2nd round players never to be named in the draft never to be mentioned would turn out to be good. So remarkably whoops.

Yeah, now with RJax gone, that whole class is gone.  No need to bring them up.

Even though we've made amends for one and brought in Desean.

Keenan Robinson. Figured he was a laughable option as a replacement, but he has been flying all over the place.

I told you, bro.  He, Clark, and Baker were the biggest moves of the offseason (aside of London's retirement).  Two out of three were in house.  Still need long term help at Safety, but this will be a fun year on defense.  52-25... the palondrom of pain.

And while we're on it, DG was the only one of us totally sold on Ryan Clark as a stop-gap from jump.  Like two to three months before we signed him.  I bought in after a couple of weeks... pass the soup ladel. :lol:

At first blush I was doubtful about using a draft pick on a kicker, now I'm not so sure that was a bad idea, even if he doesn't make the team he has pushed Kai about as far as he can.  Plus he actually can get the ball in the end zone.

I also thought Trent Murphy was a wasted draft pick.  I'm still on the edge on that one.  He looked good at training camp.  I want to see him in a game or two that count before I make up my mind.

Tyler Palumbus.. sort of, i was really impresed with his first bits of action against the Giants and toward the end of his rookie season.

Last year was atrocious, but they assure me it wasn't him,, so I'll hold that carrot.

as it is, i don't necessarily agree with their stance on it, i think he had a bad year and played badly in his own right.

I hope I'm wrong about that, but so far i think I was definitely wrong about being impressed with his ability to play RT.

~Bang

I was wrong about Hankerson, thought he would turn into a 1000 yard receiver, never saw the injuries coming.

I was not wrong about the draft picks, I was very high on all of them at the time but I could be wrong and not have given them enough credit. Breeland, Murphy, Grant look great. Murphy has balled this preseason and between him, Rak, Kerrigan, and Hatcher have 5 sacks combined in limited time already. Before the halfway point of the season I predict the Redskins defense is winning peoples fantasy leagues and we are top 5 in sacks in the league

I was wrong about not buying that Jay Gruden autographed card when I saw one posted on eBay. I collect Redskins cards and the only reason I did not at the time was because all of the times I have been burned by the recent head coaches here. If he looks like he could become the next great head coach I will regret not picking that one up. What was 20 bucks might cost me a 100 soon. I am quickly becoming a huge fan of him

I was not wrong when I spent weeks here arguing for keeping Cousins when the large majority here disagreed with me instead of trading him during the draft for a 4th rounder. I might have been wrong about the level of importance doing that would actually be. The longer Griffin struggles the better that decision actually looks to be the right move to have made and there was a time not too long ago when I was one of very few posters who was open about wanting him to stay.

I was wrong for denouncing the trade for Santana Moss. I didn't think he was tough enough to last a season after seeing him misused by Pennington et al up here in NJ. I thought we should have gotten Coles to give some SB money back and cut him rather than winding up cap strapped as we were that year because of the trade.

I argued passionately with co-workers in 2004 that a Super Bowl match-up between us and the Bengals within 3 years was inevitable.

I thought Gettis/Compton/LeRibeus would completely solve our OL problems long-term. Figured at least 2 of the 3 would stick and start.

I was wrong when I was so sure we would win the division last year (2013.)  I had no doubt we would win the opener against the eagles.  I still think we win if we remove the 2 fumbles by Alfred, but I am probably wrong.

I thought Robert would be more health last year.  I didn't think he would have problems with his throwing motion/transfer of weight that would cause too many misses that would have been on-target his rookie year.

Archived