Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 will not make it through the 2014 season healthy ... mark my words

HogHeaven1983

People keep saying that RG3 is intelligent and that may be true off the field but on the field he has consistently displayed poor judgement. 

RG3 is allowing himself to take hits while scrambling for yards shows a lack of "football intelligence". 

As much as it hurts to hear this, it's been the truth so far.

Well, I'm not sure that it's really more than a chicken little thread.  When used in the right context, it can provide some interesting conversation.

Posts like this, however, really don't add much to the conversation.  Robert really wasn't that reckless.  More slow in decision making.  

There's no chance Jay is going to chew him out.  What he might say, however, is, "Robert, dude, buddy, friend of mine, we've got to speed up your decision making process so you don't take too many hits, or else I'm going to be coaching Kirk, and you're going to be spending a lot of quality time with Dr. Andrews and a rehab center.  Let's take a look at what you could have done differently."

This makes me very unhappy, honestly.  All the way around.  

1. Acknowledging it

2. Changing his game.

3. and the fact that he's even listening to his twitter followers.

:(  So far, this tweet is the worst thing to come out of the whole game. 

Couldn't agree more.

Though I don't think he's a natural slider to start with.  And I think there might be something about the whole knee-reconstruction thing that might play into that.  I don't know that I'd be very comfortable hook-sliding baseball style, if I'd had 2 knee surgeries. More of a mental thing.  

Maybe Robert needs to go to a Nats game and practice with the guys before a game.  Would actually be a lot of fun to see, and a good publicity stunt.   :)

So, him acknowledging that he needs to slide better is bad.

Him doing a publicity stunt, while learning to slide is good.

Makes sense. 

As much as it hurts to hear this, it's been the truth so far.

No it hasn't. Not one bit. That's absurd really. 

He is going through progressions like a vet. Making presnap reads like a vet.

But, because he is extending plays like a competitor, he is showing a lack of football intelligence?

We all want him to slide better and not push so hard, especially in the preseason, but come on man.

I worry about RGIII getting injured, but what I saw yesterday was still a net positive.   He is so athletic and fast out there that when he buys time players like DJax should get open and have a field day.  

This offense could be really good, and I think it showed. 

RG3 will get better at looking to pass, throw away, or dive, instead of running, as he said.  Then when he does run, his runs should be more explosive. 

More then that, I hope, once he sees how much better his offensive guys are in space then he is, maybe he will stop viewing himself as the best option in space, something that maybe has been hard for him to let go. 

So, him acknowledging that he needs to slide better is bad.

Him doing a publicity stunt, while learning to slide is good.

Makes sense. 

Him acknowledging all of the stupid noise about him protecting himself is bad.  Nothing good can possibly come of it.  Just do it.  There's no need to mention it.  There's also no need to listen to it from the media and twitter followers.  I would prefer he have blinders on.

It also tips his cap to opposing defenses if they think he's going to slide.  

It's just a bad idea to comment on it at all.

The publicity stunt thing was a joke.  I'm pretty sure that he's not going to National's Park and work on sliding pre-game with the Nats while they are in the middle of a pennant chase.  I should have put the ./joke in there.  

Makes sense. 

But, because he is extending plays like a competitor, he is showing a lack of football intelligence?

We all want him to slide better and not push so hard, especially in the preseason, but come on man.

On too many of those plays there is nothing to extend... Look at the elite QBs in the NFL they do not approach the pre-season this way. They don't even approach the regular season this way. The Elite moblie QBs do not scramble to run like RG3 is doing they scramble to throw and when it is not there they get out of bounds or throw it away.

To me the sliding is a secondary issue because if he had just thrown the ball away he would have never needed to slide last night.

I'd just like to point out to everyone, Griffin DID actually perform a perfect slide tonight.  It looked like he was uncertain about it, maybe it was even an accident, but the slide he performed (I believe in beginning of the 2nd quarter) was exactly how he should be doing it.

Quoted for emphasis.

Him acknowledging all of the stupid noise about him protecting himself is bad.  Nothing good can possibly come of it.  Just do it.  There's no need to mention it.  There's also no need to listen to it from the media and twitter followers.  I would prefer he have blinders on.

It also tips his cap to opposing defenses if they think he's going to slide.  

It's just a bad idea to comment on it at all.

The publicity stunt thing was a joke.  I'm pretty sure that he's not going to National's Park and work on sliding pre-game with the Nats while they are in the middle of a pennant chase.  I should have put the ./joke in there.  

I think he is also hearing from coaches and teammates, let alone the media and fans. I think this cat is out of the bag.

I think your idea of him doing it at baseball practice is brilliant actually. Get him to enjoy it and use it.

He obviously needs to improve, that's the worst part of his game. I doubt many track stars are any good at it.

On too many of those plays there is nothing to extend... Look at the elite QBs in the NFL they do not approach the pre-season this way. They don't even approach the regular season this way. The Elite moblie QBs do not scramble to run like RG3 is doing they scramble to throw and when it is not there they get out of bounds or throw it away.

To me the sliding is a secondary issue because if he had just thrown the ball away he would have never needed to slide last night.

I agree that's it's preseason, but you want one of your fastest player to run with the ball. That's his instinct and he is displaying part of his game. It's going to and should happen. He just needs to learn not to take the hits.

I think we may be confusing mental intelligence and emotional intelligence.  Mentally intelligent?  Absolutely.  RG3 is very smart, gets the plays, rotations, etc.

But emotional intelligence?  Very little.  He is trying to prove something. Who the hell knows what?   I could not believe the recklessness I saw yesterday.  And he has still not learned to slide?  Are you kidding me.  This is not competitiveness.  This is subconsciously driven idiocy.

And the passing.  How many people cringe when they see RG3 in that "cramped" pocket space, try to throw the bullet into coverage that turns out to be an intercepted duck?  The "off the back foot" ill advised pass that inevitably causes interceptions on every level football is played?  High school, college and of course the pros.

I am not happy with what I am seeing overall and thankfully this is the preseason but I am not sure you can stop this at this point.  He has learned to do this quite well with catastrophic results and I have seen this way too many times last year following the injury to believe this can be uncoached. 

I have been one of RG3's biggest fans but he is not playing smart.  Period.

I think you're exactly right.

I actually have a somewhat different perspective: I understand that Griffin needs to learn to protect himself. I get that. But what I'm worried about is with all of the scrutiny, it's going to get in his head, and he's going to lose one of the things that can make him special, and that's his raw athletic ability.

A few points:

• All the folks that are saying that he is not elusive are wrong. He can be very elusive. There are plays, like the Rams play when he juked Finnigan out of his jock, and the 4th down play against the Giants that prove it. When healthy, he's very elusive.
  • I don't want him to turn into the Redskins version of Mark Brunnell, when it wasn't there, he just chucked it in the stands. I want him to extend plays with his feet, inside the pocket and outside.
  • I want him to run. It adds variety to his game, and puts the defense off balanc

What he needs to learn, and he will learn, especially as he keeps taking hits, is how to protect himself without limiting his athletic ability. Part of this is just awareness. As he's learning a new offense, and seeing more about where defenders are, he's going to be able to "feel" when the hit it coming, and get down.

The problem with the hits he takes in the middle of the field is that he's generally a beat or two slow to get down. As he gets more experience, he's going to learn that, and get down sooner.

And, unlike some, I'm ok if he takes a few hits. Because QBs take hits. It's part of the game. And if he gets hit 5 times a game, as long as they are not de-cleaters, eh, that's fine. He's a tough kid, he can handle it.

He's not some fragile vase that we need to put on a shelf and say "don't touch."

And what I worry about, with all the media scrutiny, is that it's going to get in his head, and that's going to cause him to hesitate, and that's going to just exacerbate the issue.

Very well thought out post couldn't have said it better myself. My fear is with him being big on social media he's going to see all this and let it get in his head. The very worst thing a QB can do is second guess himself all the time. If that happens then people can worry but until then everyone needs to take a deep breath. It's going to be ok.

If it does happen again i hope we trade him and be done with this experiment. Give the reigns to cousins and take it from there. Looking at all the weapons on the field last night was ridiculous. All we need is a distributor of the ball not slash part 2.

KB- It's a slide. It's the simplest thing a QB can do to ensure he doesn't get creamed. Robert has been hounded about this from day one. What day is it now? 

The runningest QBs in the history of the NFL knew to slide. Whether any of us want to hear it or not, he's displaying piss poor football IQ by refusing to protect himself and it's going to catch up with him AGAIN. Maybe for good.

He's being stupid. I don't like to say it any more than you like to hear it but he's being stupid and he's not shown a single lick of trying to correct it.

He literally runs around like a dam crash test dummy.  The way he bends, and moves its like watching the slow mo's of those crash tests and you just wonder what the damage could be. It's gonna be tough watching that especially when it has a $100 million dollar tag on it sometime down the road. I hope this is the first case of a QB who doesn't make the mad money because of the way he runs and an inability to protect himself.

I'm finding myself saying when he's out there scrambling and looking like Forest Gump before he got his leg braces removed early in the film " This kids just stupid, how hard is it to get down and slide correctly? ". I mean no one is giving you props for being brave in the preseason.

I wish I could disagree with this post. 

I love RG3 but I was shaking my head every time he took a hit. He has learned nothing. He is a walking time bomb. I have zero questions on his ability, passion, leadership - but I do question his general intelligence. 

Maybe the Nationals would be willing to teach him how to slide.  They are the best team in D.C., they can afford an hour off.

Adam Jones tweeted that he'd be willing to help him. He's a dirty Oriole though. ;)

How ironic would it be if Bryce Harper taught RG3 how to slide. Talk about the blind leading the blind. :lol:

I've never seen a QB more over analyzed then RG3..

In regards to sliding, I think what happens is that when he takes off, he assumes it's going to be a big play and then it's like "oh s--t".  he tries to slide, but it's like he's going to fast and is out of control; which makes him look awkward.

There are times he can throw the ball, but runs instead...on that first bootleg with the awkward slide, he had darrel young open on the sideline for 10 yards.

Archived