Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 will not make it through the 2014 season healthy ... mark my words

HogHeaven1983

So, first to the title of the thread.  These days it is rare for any qb to make it through all sixteen games.  Think about it how many do or can?  Second, the play in which he got pinballed was right at the sideline.  Argue that he should have stepped out a beat earlier, but I don't think I have ever seen a qb slide six inches from the boundary.

The game overall was a bit sloppy.  Way too many flags.  Both Griffin's and Cousin's interceptions were ugly.  Otherwise, both played well.  What the Brown's game showed me was that Cousins is better than a two, but not quite a good one.  Griffin needs not to make those stupid plays.  Overall, I was happy with how he did. Again, if Morris had run half an inch more people would have been content.  The goal line stand made everyone grumpy.  RGIII limping makes us all concerned, bruised or not.  The line though is still a problem, but frankly, this is a great problem for Gruden to see in the second preseason game.

He now can see on the field what we saw on tape all too often last season.  The line isn't protecting well and he will have to adjust his playcalling or maybe consider other players in the rotation. I still wouldn't mind seeing Stabby or Long with the first string to see if they can hold up better.

I want to win the majority of third and ones and this line hasn't been able to do that.

Still, I expect Griffin to be a good QB this year.  I expect him to make some WOW plays and some D'OH plays that goes with having a playmaker vs. a tactician at QB.  By the end of the year, I think we may be happy with the sum total. 

HTTR

hmm thats funny, I don't recall kc taking those kind of hits when he played against the 1s. In fact he was barely touched at all. Did the line suddenly start blocking better?? rg3 makes the line look worse, not vice versa.

Seemed the line did okay against the standard rush, but had trouble against middle blitzes.  I saw that a couple of times impact all three qbs.

its not that he can't slide, it's that he doesn't want to.

he's trying to get every extra yard, trying to break a long one.

he doesn't get it and it's going to cost us. i used to defend him, but after last night it's perfectly clear he's not nearly as smart as we all think he is. he hasn't learned a damn thing from his injury. what a shame.

Wow ...

Okay i know it was a preseason game but really.. this is all we are going to talk about... RGIII took some shots on the longest run and the interception was BAD, everything about it was bad... but they were two bad plays in what was a decent 20 plays for RGIII.

All it take is one bad play by him when he's running the ball and he will be done for the year. He isn't built like Wilson, Cam or even Vick. 

Its the one major thing he should have learned this offseason and he didn't and for me who is prob the biggest RG fan on this board it has me very very worried. If i was Jay i would have taken him out of the game after that play and went off on him for the entire next play about what the hell are you thinking and freaking slide. And then would have put him back in.

As i said before i love RG i want him to be our QB for the next 15 years. But if he cant slide and is going to continue to take shots like this we better start looking for another QB. You cant be a serious contender for the superbowl every year when your starting QB is only playing 10 games...its not going to happen. And it pains me to say that. And by no way do i think Cousins is that QB.

I dont care how much of a competitor you are, playing QB in the NFL is about more than being a competitor its about being smart and doing what is best for your team. Trying to get a 1st down in a pre-season game and risking taking a big shot for it is not being a competitor, it's being stupid. Its as simple as that.

I'm 100% convinced now that he's never going to change & that recklessness is always going to be a part of his game. Let him be who he is and when/if he gets injured, worry about it when it happens. What more people should be concerned about are the floaters out into the flat thrown off his back foot. He got away with the first one to Jackson, but as you all saw, the second one was the easiest pick that Harden may ever get in his career. I guess what I'm saying is that I know it's only the second pre-season game, but between Griffins continued f**** it running style and questionable mechanics, I don't see the improvement in him so far that is going to make him an elite NFL QB. We'll see what happens, but my shaky faith in him isn't any stronger after two pre-season games. With that said, I haven't seen Cousins step his game up either and what two seasons ago looked like a nice young 1-2 punch at the QB position for us, looks like a pretty ordinary combo now.

Forget great for the moment, these two guys have a lot of work to do to even be considered very good NFL QB's and hopefully Gruden & his staff can get them to up their games to where they need to be if we're going to get where we want to be.

The problem is, he doesn't see any of those as an option when he's out there on the field. The only options he knows are:

1. Gain the extra yard, no matter what

2. Always try to stay alive complete every pass

If these are the reasons/options for his reckless play then his mindset needs to change or he will DEFINITELY not make it through this season in addition to shortening his career significantly.

Quarterback Robert Griffin III

“I got caught in an awkward situation on the first one. I tried to slide. It was a bad attempt at a slide. And then on their sideline, I was in a situation there where I thought I was going to be able to get out of bounds, and he was running out of bounds with [tight end] Jordan Reed and he came back in. I had to protect myself, so that’s why I put my shoulder down. And then my third attempt was very successful. I got down and got out of harm’s way. It’s good to be continually a work in progress focusing on getting down in those situations, knowing when to fight for extra yards and when not to. The fans have nothing to worry about there. I’ll keep getting better at 

I think we can all step away from the ledge and relax. Listen de man.

Um yeah. That wasn't very reassuring. He kinda glossed over the fact

I mean we've been hearing that for 3 years now

I don't think he glossed over, I think he's really trying to protect himself. I just think he's to competitive to do it the right way. 

And I am a little worried, but not to the point where I think he is going to get seriously injured again.

I hate to say it but I finally believe RG3 isn't our future anymore. Last night did it for me. New coach, but same problem that should be a easy fix.

It has become so ridiculous that RG3 makes me a nervous wreck on every snap, just waiting for RG3 season ending injury to occur.

I hate to say it but I finally believe RG3 isn't our future anymore. Last night did it for me. New coach, but same problem that should be a easy fix.

It has become so ridiculous that RG3 makes me a nervous wreck on every snap, just waiting for RG3 season ending injury to occur.

What if I told you that since RG3 came into the league, Aaron Rodgers has missed more games due to injury than Robert Griffin III?

Football is a physical game, people will get hurt. Sure worry about RG3 getting hit and whatnot, but don't ignore the fact that he had the offense moving against a tough Browns defense. 

Calm down. It's not THAT serious.

I liked the way RG3 played for the most part. The interception was mainly due to the ball coming out late. He went through reads, moved safeties, you can see progress. He'll get the sliding down I believe, he ability to scramble is still part of who he is, so he needs to learn how to scramble but also protect himself. The only way he learns is to do it is during game situations.  

We have a solid backup in case he gets hurts, but I really hope RG3 learns how to balance scrambling and sliding. 

I don't think he glossed over, I think he's really trying to protect himself. I just think he's to competitive to do it the right way. 

And I am a little worried, but not to the point where I think he is going to get seriously injured again.

The part that has me nervous is this is preseason; when Griffin's in there, and he takes off, there are defensive players who are trying their best to make their team, and one good way to get noticed is to light up a QB.

This is something Griffin has to really focus his intentions on; 3rd and 4th stringers, STers who might be on the bubble are gonna try to make impact plays, and if Griffin's not getting down/out of bounds quickly enough, one of them will eventually make contact; hard contact.

This shouldn't be something Griffin considers a 'work in progress', its a prerequisite if he wants to exist on the field. He can give all the interviews he wants saying he'll get better don't worry, but until he proves it on a consistent basis, he's jeopardizing his career for 36 inches of sod. 

This is preseason, so I do understand the lack of crispness and communication, but once week 1 comes, Watt and Clowney will be in hot pursuit, and they don't let up when a QB heads towards the sidelines; they try to beat the QB there.

I know its only the second preseason game of year 3, but all the mediots who called him the next Vick may end up being right, but for all the wrong reasons.

dude obviously hasn't learned anything about self preservation, and going into the third year of his career, I'm not sure he ever will until its too late.

When he was drafted I thought there's no way this guy WON'T win a super bowl eventually, he's just too talented. Now I find myself wondering if he will make it as a decent starting qb without having his career derailed by mostly avoidable injuries.

2 years now and into a third, and he still wants to hit the homerun on every play and still doesn't know when to give up and fight another day.

honestly, I don't know that he ever will.

Maybe he's destined to be that guy in every defender's highlight reel. So far he's an all pro at that.

Exactly.  And this is PRESEASON ... and his 3rd year in the league.   You rarely see Russell Wilson or Andrew Luck (or almost any great (or even good) NFL QB) take as many big hits as RG3.   He doesnt get down and doesnt throw the ball away when needed.   He seems to plow into defenders and fight for yards like he's a 240 full back ... and not a thin-framed, glass-kneed QB This is just another trainwreck waiting to happen. 

We better never trade Kirk Cousins ... he'll be starting later this year after RG3 gets injured (again)

Take what the defense gives you and SLIDE. How hard is this?

That's really the problem here. It's SO easy. It's SO the right thing to do. He's had SO much time to correct SUCH an obvious issue.

Griffin just doesn't want to learn. He wants to be the star. He can't control his ego. It's a problem and I agree with the OP. He's going down again soon. 

Many of you want to ignore it or flame those who complain about it but you will see. He'll get hurt again and it will be his own fault and it will cost him his career.

He just won't slide. 

What if I told you that since RG3 came into the league, Aaron Rodgers has missed more games due to injury than Robert Griffin III?

Football is a physical game, people will get hurt. Sure worry about RG3 getting hit and whatnot, but don't ignore the fact that he had the offense moving against a tough Browns defense. 

Calm down. It's not THAT serious.

It is that serious. RG3 should have missed more games than Rodgers, especially last season. I can't think of a current starter in the NFL that is taking the hits that RG3 is. 

I wasn't questioning RG3 ability of moving the ball down the field. That is no concern of mine. Sure it is physical game and a injury can happen, but RG3 can reduce that huge chance of injury by sliding or running toward the sideline. The only thing we can do is cross our fingers when RG3 is running.

I agree with a lot of what the op says except for the pocket awareness issue. It is one thing I have bashed Griffin about for 2 years. I was actually impressed with his pocket awareness last night. He stood tall and delivered a couple of beautiful balls. The first completion to Jackson was beautiful. The deep ball was also a thing of beauty. The long scramble was the correct READ. No one was open and I like the fact that he is able to run and turn a negative into a positive. But he should have ran out of bounds 3 yards sooner to avoid the contact. It has become clear that he will not avoid contact to gain a couple of extra yards. Concerning for sure. Really the only bad play he had last night was the pick. You cant throw late outside off of your back foot. Although he was forced to throw off of his back foot by Chesters pathetic pass pro. He knows he cant make that throw. you could read his lips after the play and see he said "cant throw that". Chalk that up as a learning experience.

Overall I thought Griffin played very well for his second game in a new to him pro style offense. Also that was a real Defense he faced last night and we moved the ball effectively against them. You cant blame Griffin because the coach decides to run 4 times inside the 2 yard line. Should have thrown a couple times there. If we do we most likely score either by pass or a Griffin scramble.

Screw sliding, just learn how to get in the fetal position, which referees will view as a slide attempt. It's easier to do and will help in avoiding his leg getting caught under him, etc. The only downside is it'll look really wimpy, but who the hell cares?

For those of you saying he'll never change I think are sadly mistaken. He's aware of it, Grudes is aware of it, his teammates are aware of it, everyone is. If there's anything Robert is known for, it's working.

He will work hard to get this corrected and I guarantee you he'll be working his butt off trying to slide properly in game situations. He's in the middle of a ****-storm right now learning a new playbook, adjusting to new teammates, and a new regime.

Give it time and be patient...every QB takes licks. It's not something that has come naturally to Robert, unlike almighty God of Elusiveness, Russell Wilson.

It is that serious. RG3 should have missed more games than Rodgers, especially last season. I can't think of a current starter in the NFL that is taking the hits that RG3 is. 

I wasn't questioning RG3 ability of moving the ball down the field. That is no concern of mine. Sure it is physical game and a injury can happen, but RG3 can reduce that huge chance of injury by sliding or running toward the sideline. The only thing we can do is cross our fingers when RG3 is running.

Out of likes, but I agree. 

In the end though, I think that RG3 will get it right though. It's going to take time. The only reason I came at you so hard is because you said you don't think he's the future anymore. To say a comment like that is like saying you can't see us winning games with him. 

It's my hope that Griffin can become more like Rodgers when it comes to running the ball. I've been looking for clips with Aaron Rodgers scrambling, but I can't find any. But just know, he's probably not only one of the best QB's in the pocket, but he IS the best scrambling QB now too. (With all due respect to that bulldozing scrambling QB in Carolina). They way Rodgers get's his yards and slide is a thing of beauty. lol

Archived