Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 will not make it through the 2014 season healthy ... mark my words

HogHeaven1983

A. Generally speaking, you can make this prediction about any QB not named Manning or Luck and be correct.

B. The prediction about the knee is just mean.

If this was directed towards me, my apologies, i'm in no way attempting to predict this happening, nor would I ever want to see it happen to any player.

But the severity of the problem exists; some may take it lightly, until something bad happens, then the outcries of 'why did this happen' echo. 

I ride a motorcycle, and shunned wearing a helmet; that was, until I came across a motorcycle accident; it was gruesome. I made a beeline to the closest place that sold helmets and bought 2, just in case. I then realized that my thinking that 'well, i'm only riding in town, and will not be going fast, so I doubt anything will happen',  was wrong [ for me ].

He can rely on his speed and train of thought that he can just run out of bounds, but at some point a faster defensive player will be able to catch him; why wait until it happens before you decide that you need to learn to slide?

I wish I could disagree with this post. 

I love RG3 but I was shaking my head every time he took a hit. He has learned nothing. He is a walking time bomb. I have zero questions on his ability, passion, leadership - but I do question his general intelligence. 

Sums up exactly how I feel as well.  Love me some Griff, but for gods sake man...its the 2nd pre-season game, and he's taking hits going for the first down as if the Skins are down late in the NFC Championship

After reading everyone's posts...I think it's safe to say that we all love our franchise QB, and we all want him to be here for the next 10 years. We are all just worried about his career and his health, but that's normal. I think he'll be fine in the regular season. I think last night was just a big ol f u to Kyle.

seriously...this is ridiculous.  i can see the lamestream mediots making a meal out of this "story" but the whole "sky is falling" mantra coming from "fans" is really quite nauseating.  yes, he needs to take better care of himself.  yes, he still looks awkward at sliding.  yes, he kept his head up & looked for open WR's downfield.  yes, he took 3 hits on one play that looked "serious."  no, they weren't all that serious...anybody who's used to contact will get right up from a typical hit....EVEN A QB.  no, Darrel Young was not a good option on that play as the other WR coming into the play was bringing a defender up over the top.  yes, Garcon was open ial nitially on his route on the other scramble, but if you're paying attention to the whole picture, the throwing lane was closed, & Trent's man was bringing pressure inside.  the initial act of scrambling was not the issue...it was that he should probably have just gone out of bounds before he cut it back inside.  no, he hasn't perfected the craft of sliding or avoiding contact on a scramble...but he IS improving.  THIS is all we can ask for. it shows a willingness to adjust, & an ability to work towards that goal.  

even Jordan, who so famously added another dimension to his game in every offseason, only added 1 per offseason.  so when he added the 3pt shot to his repertoire, he didn't add the post-up until the next season...& so-on.  so...forgive if i don't put tin-foil on my head over this performance because i understand that while he needed to work on this part of his game, he also needed to improve a host of other WAAAAAAAY more vital aspects of his game.  so imho...SOME improvement is a sign that improvement is imminent.

i only hope that he stays healthy while he gets better at it.  

truthfully...i'm exponentially more concerned with that INT.  

The problem is that he is not quick/decisive in his dropback reads/passes in order to make the right throws on time, which leads to plays breaking down and necessitating improvisation.

Yes, he doesn't know how to slide when the above happens - but the root issue is deeper and more concerning for the future.

Let's hope this season will allow him to develop the mental aspect of his game while getting a good grasp on our offense so that he doesn't need to create on his own.

KB- It's a slide. It's the simplest thing a QB can do to ensure he doesn't get creamed. Robert has been hounded about this from day one. What day is it now? 

The runningest QBs in the history of the NFL knew to slide. Whether any of us want to hear it or not, he's displaying piss poor football IQ by refusing to protect himself and it's going to catch up with him AGAIN. Maybe for good.

He's being stupid. I don't like to say it any more than you like to hear it but he's being stupid and he's not shown a single lick of trying to correct it.

This isn't about intelligence...this is about RG3's instincts

Chachie, this ^^^. Plus, he literally showed last night. LAST NIGHT. That he made improvement and is working on it. It JUST happened.

I am so tired of people stating that he is a world class athlete so he should know how to slide.  The issue is everyone can't baseball slide, even some in baseball can't do it they have to go face first.  Now he has to learn how to protect himself by getting out of bounds and not taking these hits.  But everytime he tries to slide it looks like he will get hurt by himself.  I wish everyone would go out here and run full speed and see if you can baseball slide if you have never done it....

Last night was a concern, yes.   Don't blow it up though people.  Remember, he didn't get to show much in week 1 of the preseason.  Week 2, you have all of your weapons, your adrenaline is going to be pumping.  I guarantee, right after that sideline run, where he looked like "Bop Bop and rebop" he thought long and hard.  Should he be able to slide?  I don't know.   To me if you aren't used to it, it's not easy.   He does need to work on it somehow.   Am I concerned he is going to get himself killed during the regualr season?  No.   The only way THAT will change for me, is if he is careless again on Saturday against Bmore.   Right now, I like a lot of what I am seeing, but jeezy peets, quit turning the ball over.  Other than that, I like where we are headed.

HTTR!!!

I am so tired of people stating that he is a world class athlete so he should know how to slide. The issue is everyone can't baseball slide, even some in baseball can't do it they have to go face first. Now he has to learn how to protect himself by getting out of bounds and not taking these hits. But everytime he tries to slide it looks like he will get hurt by himself. I wish everyone would go out here and run full speed and see if you can baseball slide if you have never done it....

Haha I'll try it today and let u know how it goes

I like how the analysts on ESPN, the local beat reporters, coaches, Jay Gruden and other players have all said "Just be patient with Robert, it takes time", then this thread happens.

Prototypical Redskins overreaction.

I just listened to Peter King on the radio say the Redskins should hire a baseball coach to teach him to slide so it's not just fan overreaction

I've never seen a QB more over analyzed then RG3..

In regards to sliding, I think what happens is that when he takes off, he assumes it's going to be a big play and then it's like "oh s--t".  he tries to slide, but it's like he's going to fast and is out of control; which makes him look awkward.

There are times he can throw the ball, but runs instead...on that first bootleg with the awkward slide, he had darrel young open on the sideline for 10 yards.

Yea, I remember that play, I didnt remember who it was on the sidelines, but it bothered me a bit too.   Looked like it could have been a big play. 

I really hope he will start changing his game once he starts seeing what his teammates can do in space.  He is just used to viewing himself as the best option with the ball for his team to win games.  This is no longer the case.   

I just listened to Peter King on the radio say the Redskins should hire a baseball coach to teach him to slide so it's not just fan overreaction

I don't think any of this is overreaction at all. If your QB that has already had two major injuries still doesn't know how to slide in his 3rd NFL season, there's a big problem. He's an injury waiting to happen if he keeps on playing like this.

Haha I'll try it today and let u know how it goes

Please let me know because I tried it and it was an utter failure because I had to scopes on my knees and I could not get them down quick enough to slide.  Now going face first I could do but can't do that in the NFL

Please let me know because I tried it and it was an utter failure because I had to scopes on my knees and I could not get them down quick enough to slide.  Now going face first I could do but can't do that in the NFL

I have had zero knee injuries and can't slide leg first for the life of me without looking like drunken bambi. My athletic days are clearly in the rearview but I cound't really do it as a kid either.  I can slide head first but that introduces another set of problems.

Archived