Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 will not make it through the 2014 season healthy ... mark my words

HogHeaven1983

and the guy said "knocked out" of the bengals game. he didnt get knocked out of that game, he got knocked out of the game against the falcons.

And when I reviewed the Falcons game hit from Weatherspoon, it was pretty clear it was a borderline cheap shot at best.  W-Spoon launched after Griffin had begun his slide.  ANYONE can be injured if defensive players (and they HAVE BEEN, out of bound hits, slams, etc have been allowed against Robert) are given carte blanche to hit people late or high or at the knee.  I think here of Seattle's litany of cheap shots in the playoff game in 2012. 

And when I reviewed the Falcons game hit from Weatherspoon, it was pretty clear it was a borderline cheap shot at best.  W-Spoon launched after Griffin had begun his slide.  ANYONE can be injured if defensive players (and they HAVE BEEN, out of bound hits, slams, etc have been allowed against Robert) are given carte blanche to hit people late or high or at the knee.  I think here of Seattle's litany of cheap shots in the playoff game in 2012. 

Yep, that was a dirty play by witherspoon. anyway, i think Griffin will be better once the regular season starts. he probably just wanted to show kyle that he's better now.

I'll never understand why they don't do sliding drills until he learns.

Watch cut-ups of Aaron Rodgers and Peyton Manning, both those guys know how to slide like pros.

It's baffling. It don't seem like that hard a skill to learn, and it's clearly important. So you wonder how 3 years in he could still be so terrible at it.

Last weeks team went up against a great Defense tonight, and only by their own mistakes did they not blow the Browns out of the Stadium. A lot of mental and dumb errors tonight that Gruden will address tomorrow morning. Hopefully Gruden isn't showing much of his offense, save that for the Texans. One things for sure, it's hard to cover our WR's deep, and I'm loving that.

I don't know if I'd go that far.  They didn't blow the Browns D out.  Browns had 6 DBs inactive tonight.  The guy covering Roberts likely won't make the team.  And really the Browns bailed the Skins out on that drive with a penalty before that play.  Still a lot of work to do. OL was getting manhandled at times.  Coaching isn't going to make Chester better.  He just stinks.   

If the little tweak he got was the result of the nicely executed slide(the second attempt at one) Then in his mind sliding probably ins't worth it and his suspicions have just been confirmed. He'd probably rather take a big hit then risk his nalkes, knees and manparts every time he slides. If that is his price of doing business then so be it. I though he looked good other than the unnecessary contact and the bad decision leading to the pick. 8/9 of his throws were on target and he it looked like he went through his progressions all but once before taking off. As for the OP, it is tired and I don't like talking about it ad nauseum but Griff has to do a better job knowing when to give up on a play. He stubbornly tries to squeeze eveything he can out of every play but sometimes it just isn't there. Better to live to fight another day. I don't think he will ever be a great or willing "slider".

It's baffling. It don't seem like that hard a skill to learn, and it's clearly important. So you wonder how 3 years in he could still be so terrible at it.

SOmeone else answered it here.  The first year he just wasn't sliding at all, he was diving (I think the NFL should allow QBs to give themselves up with a dive, sliding is often a recipe for a concussion or leg injury) but last year his paranoia about his knee led to him not quite committing to slides.

That and he slides about .65 seconds after he probably should.

SOmeone else answered it here.  The first year he just wasn't sliding at all, he was diving (I think the NFL should allow QBs to give themselves up with a dive, sliding is often a recipe for a concussion or leg injury) but last year his paranoia about his knee led to him not quite committing to slides.

That and he slides about .65 seconds after he probably should.

Don't really see that as an answer. It's something he's bad at and no one has been able to fix it. OK, he was scared to slide his 2nd year. But it's something that's putting him at serious injury risk and it seems odd that it would be unable to be addressed in 3 years.

Don't really see that as an answer. It's something he's bad at and no one has been able to fix it. OK, he was scared to slide his 2nd year. But it's something that's putting him at serious injury risk and it seems odd that it would be unable to be addressed in 3 years.

His one concussion was on a slide.  Meanwhile it was a freak Haloti Ngata hit that ruined his 2012 (or part of it.)  I can understand why he instinctually does not trust sliding.  If you watch the other scramblers/runners they DO have plays where they do not slide.  Several times last year I saw slides that were close to getting him killed.

Again, I see a lack of trust due to what's actually happened.  If he could narrow his decision window another half second, I think his slides become safer or his out of bounds vs. keep play alive decisions help the cause.

This comes across as drunken scaremongering, but the subject is valid. All weekend we saw textbook slides - even by 3rd stringers. Robert looked worse than Mallet tonight, unfortunately. I've always thought  the Baylor ACL has had something to do with his possible current psyche, like the poster above stated. He seems more comfortable sliding forward but that could lead to more fumbles...

That being said our line is TRULY offensive, and would likely be complicit in RG3 not playing all 16 games. 

He's not going to be an exclusive drop back passer, so just stop.

This is what we were getting into when we traded 3 first round draft picks to pick Griffin at 2. Everyone accepted it, everyone. Now, two years later and you want to trade for a scrub that won a Super Bowl on the back of his defense and a choking dog QB.

So what if he doesn't make it through the season, the world will still go around.

His one concussion was on a slide.  Meanwhile it was a freak Haloti Ngata hit that ruined his 2012 (or part of it.)  I can understand why he instinctually does not trust sliding.  If you watch the other scramblers/runners they DO have plays where they do not slide.  Several times last year I saw slides that were close to getting him killed.

Again, I see a lack of trust due to what's actually happened.  If he could narrow his decision window another half second, I think his slides become safer or his out of bounds vs. keep play alive decisions help the cause.

I'm sorry, but  I'm asking why no one has taught him to slide and you're basically answering that it's because he's really bad at sliding.

I'm sorry, but  I'm asking why no one has taught him to slide and you're basically answering that it's because he's really bad at sliding.

I'm saying he's bad at sliding for a reason and "teaching" him is almost irrelevant at this particular point.  The first year he took a couple of hits on the run, some while passing, but he took as many in the pocket last year that were far more brutal. His flexibility is part of the reason people react so strongly to some of these plays, they sometimes look worse than they are.

But in any event, "teaching" can't overcome a lack of trust in a certain decision and some of these plays are not the technique of sliding but the timing.

I got up at 0300 to watch that game.....and left wondering if Robert will ever learn his lesson. Dude is linear and muscular; but looks as if he is getting blasted out of a cannon every time he gets touched.  Every QB is at risk on every play, but why increase your odds of injury by initiating contact or fighting for one extra yard?  I'm sure he understands his value to the team and realizes he is worth much more to this franchise than that yard......in a freakin' preseason game no less.  I know it is easy for us to expect him to "turn it off", but c'mon Robert......

He is what he is and I'm glad we've got him....but competitor or not, he needs to get over this mental hurdle in regards to self-protection.

Take care....

"deer in the headlights", or "baby deer" or whatever are dangerous, unfair ways to describe RG3.  He is confident, and decisive when attempting to run, whether for a first down, or looking to pass.  

Now, the way in which he ends the play can be in question, sure.  It ain't always pretty.  Twice, and really...ONLY..twice has it truly cost him.  Poor decision at the sideline vs Atlanta leading to knock out....and hitting the ground in such a way that his legs were available in the air for Hiloti Ngata to smash into.

There's got to be a way to put the odds of injury with his style of play vs guys who get blindsided in the pocket, lineman steps on their foot, whatever.  We say we're not thrilled with the way RG3 went down, but less than a second before we were excited about the way he runs and having flashbacks of the Minnesota game.  Why isn't anyone talking about how explosive he looked a couple times?  Crazy fast acceleration running away from dude on that one play. 

It's why we like him.  2012 was amazing.  If we want amazing out of RG3, but also want him to be perfectly safe and always throw the ball away, then we're wasting our time and frustrating ourselves.

Coach Gruden has alluded to just this.  He's going to let RG3 play.  "take the bad with the good" is more or less what he's saying, but the bad has an upside with growth and improvement.  In the meantime, you already know RG3 can WOW the stadium, and if it's going to happen, it has to happen his way....so let's stop judging, and demanding things of this guy and start appreciating him god DAMNIT.  ;)

Wow ...

Okay i know it was a preseason game but really.. this is all we are going to talk about... RGIII took some shots on the longest run and the interception was BAD, everything about it was bad... but they were two bad plays in what was a decent 20 plays for RGIII.

it is okay us sitting at home on out sofa with the HD replays thinking oh he should have done this or done that, or say well it was only a preseason game ... any game is important to these guys ... it is not like - oh lets not try to win this one ... as Parcells said if they are keeping score then winning is important . There are things to work on sure enough but 2nd preseason game 6-8 two good drives stalled by turnovers and one by a goal line stand . You look at the 2 misses - One was the BAD interception and the 2nd was was it Reed in the Endzone on what was the stalled drive which RGIII audibles out of the run play and picks up an illegal contact call .

The main thing I came away from this game was . MAN the Browns have a defense . Someone said the Browns were missing 6 DBs but in all reality that was probably the starting line up there ... Gilbert is not some no name scrub but the 8th overall pick this year (for redfernce we took Baily with the 7th overall pick in1999) , Still saw Hayden still saw Whittiner one guy who was missing was the No.2. guy but probably wont be as Gilbert has been so impressive. Without Josh Gorden the Browns have NO offense (Tate looked okay but put me in mind of Helu) the offensive line is strong I would not be surprised if they made a run IF they can find a QB.

People want to call RGIII, Micheal Vick II, BUT  as I have said before Micheal Vick II was when he got it together on the field - scary . What undid Vick was his immaturity the likes we saw from Manziel.

This is a game we can learn from and it had some good leasons but seriously football is dangerous, people get hurt all the time, I think if it is so much of a concern then lawn bowls may be the game for you ...

What scared me was that run he did when he got pin balled before he hit the ground. What or even why would you run like that in a preseason game? I agree he is smart....he even tweeted at the close of the night " guys I will learn to slide". He recognizes the issue. I'm just hope he learns well before something serious happens. I really can't go through another season of "oh god here he goes!" I'm not even thinking anymore if he runs we'll get another 20+ yards. I'm scared $&@?less he will get injured.

I honestly think this is the QB we're going to see. He'll make some plays that are moth watering, like to pass to Roberts, and then the bad one, off the back foot int. I still don't know if he's mentally over this knee because everything he gets someone around him he starts trying to run around and be Mr. Hero. Either step up in the pocket or throw the ball away. No way does he play 16 games.

Griffin did look more at ease running, and he seemed to have picked up on progressions, so that's an improvement over 2013.

The Browns are a scrappy team, as they were last year; their record doesn't indicate it, but they don't stop playing, they're physical, as we saw in the multitude of flags all night.

Griffin still has this sliding issue, and I hoped this would have been addressed during the offseason; he HAS to get it in his head to give up, live to play another day mentality, or he will be watching the games from the sidelines, or worse, a hospital bed.

The competitive part of him wants to be a playmaker 100% of the time, and that will create issues. Face it, the rest of the league sees him not willing to slide, so opponents will keep that in mind when tackling him; if they think he's not gonna slide, they're not gonna begin to ease up any when they get close, they will come to hit him, so Griffin needs to display his sliding skills often, to give opponents the idea that he will slide, and THATS when Griffin can have an advantage, because defenses will slow a little coming up to him anticipating a slide, then he can be a playmaker by mentally beating them on the field.

Most seem to be missing the mark by focusing on RG3 running. If the OL protected better then RG3's desire to run would be reduced to a minimum. Chester is awful, he can't start. Polumbus is meh at best. That right side looked better with Long and Compton in.

hmm thats funny, I don't recall kc taking those kind of hits when he played against the 1s. In fact he was barely touched at all. Did the line suddenly start blocking better?? rg3 makes the line look worse, not vice versa.

Archived