Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 will not make it through the 2014 season healthy ... mark my words

HogHeaven1983

Yes I am saying that some people can't slide, is that unheard of???  I am not saying he doesn't need to protect himself I am saying that some people just can't baseball slide.  I am not a professional athlete, I played basketball in college and in the military and I tried to do it and failed miserably. 

Can we please stop comparing this to a baseball slide? In baseball, you have to run at full speed until the last possible instant and then execute a slide which will take you to, but definitely not over, a base. Ideally, it will allow you to be able to get up quickly and continue running if there is an error.

Griffin's only job in sliding is to get his keister on the turf.

Yes I am saying that some people can't slide, is that unheard of??? I am not saying he doesn't need to protect himself I am saying that some people just can't baseball slide. I am not a professional athlete, I played basketball in college and in the military and I tried to do it and failed miserably.

Any soccer players out there that can't slide? Baseball players aren't always the greatest example of overall athleticism. Then again most 10 year old soccer players can slide (and they slide with a purpose greater than just touching their butts to the ground).

It is for me. Sorry not all of us are great natural sliders like your majesty.

Well I'm convinced. Sliding is hard and I just happen to be awesome enough to manage it. You win. :)

Who stated that it was hard??????  All I stated is that everyone can't do it, and maybe RG3 is just one of those people....  Just because soccer players do it, so what????  Can everyone shoot basketball, can soccer players throw a football??? 

If everything is based on last year I guess we're stuck w 2 lousy QBs.

Why would any team want to offer a decent draft pick based on what they've seen since he's been in DC?

Of course he can improve, but why would any other team take the risk based on his play to this point?

Perception is reality and the perception of Kirk Cousins ability took a big hit with the film that's now out on him. Kirk being on the roster has nothing to do with us fighting off teams throwing offers in our direction. That's what I was addressing.

Any soccer players out there that can't slide? Baseball players aren't always the greatest example of overall athleticism. Then again most 10 year old soccer players can slide (and they slide with a purpose greater than just touching their butts to the ground).

Well I'm convinced. Sliding is hard and I just happen to be awesome enough to manage it. You win. :)

LOL. That cracked me up.

And I was going to bring that first point up, too. In all my years watching baseball, I really don't remember a player who just couldn't slide.

Who stated that it was hard?????? All I stated is that everyone can't do it, and maybe RG3 is just one of those people.... Just because soccer players do it, so what???? Can everyone shoot basketball, can soccer players throw a football???

I'm fairly sure that soccer players can throw a football or shoot a basketball, assuming they have functioning arms and hands. Accurately? Probably not. The thing is no one wants RG3 to slide tackle the ball away from Christiano Ronaldo or steal third base in the majors. They want him to get his legs out in front of his body and touch his butt to the field.

Look my point is that sliding is easy. Maybe I'm wrong. :)

I don't think RG3 is incapable, I think he decides to slide or run out of bounds too late.

Just have to agree to disagree :)  Sliding is easy, to most but not all is what I'm saying.  Not saying he can't learn how to slide either, to me it's like riding a bike you have to learn how to do it first and keep practicing it until you get it.  Just a question you slide on your hip and knees?  If you had knee surgery can that affect your slide? 

The more I think about it the more I'm concerned. Robert just shows an inability, willingness, or smarts over competitiveness to protect himself.

Should it take this long to figure out at this point? If he hasn't yet will he ever? or at least figure it out before his career is seriously hampered or ended.

I know the attention is there due to the injury in college, then as a pro and watching him go down...the ensuing rehab, the brace on again off again. the down year...and now him getting cracked what looked like 3 times on one run when he should have headed out of bounds sooner. He's doesn't appear to have a feel for it or be a natural /instinctive runner...he's just fast and not in control. Still falls awkwardly...had one good slide. To take 5 yards and get out or go down instead of going for 9 and getting hit multiple times.(game on the line or playoffs maybe you take slightly more of a chance and compete) He seems more conscious or aware of it but man...he has to do better. 

He says he understands the severity of it...what is invested in him and what his value is to the franchise..but I have to see it, not hear it Rob. 

I think it's rather funny when folks see him slide awkwardly in super slow motion high def.. they think it's terrible because the leg looks bent and twisted, etc... in stop frame.

And in real speed it happens so fast that there is no damage at all. The body is in motion, and that accounts for a lot of flexibility.

the slide he got hurt on was a good slide, and he bruised his butt :D

~Bang

You might be right but it sure looks awkward and dangerous. In fact, Ryan Clark said the after watching that first slide he would prefer RG to just get tackled than slide like that again,

We drafted Robert as a dynamic, big armed, RUNNING QB....let him do his thing and teach him how to get down earlier. If we try to make him a pocket passer he will never be the dynamic player he was in college. If he gets hurt then we go with Cousins...you can't play scared. Be smart with Robert but please let him run and make plays....it's who he is.

We drafted Robert as a dynamic, big armed, RUNNING QB....let him do his thing and teach him how to get down earlier. If we try to make him a pocket passer he will never be the dynamic player he was in college. If he gets hurt then we go with Cousins...you can't play scared. Be smart with Robert but please let him run and make plays....it's who he is.

I agree and think Shanny may have got it right. Center the offense around his unique skill set and run em till the wheels fall off. I know I for one would love to see the read option with a healthy rg3 and the crazy amount of weapons we have at wr now.

You might be right but it sure looks awkward and dangerous. In fact, Ryan Clark said the after watching that first slide he would prefer RG to just get tackled than slide like that again,

Well, that just causes more tears among the nervous nellies.

The guy can use a few lessons in WHEN to get down, .. frankly, if he just pulls up his legs and butt surfs i'd be fine with it. keep the feet up so cleats don't catch and it's done.

The main issue I have with this overall discussion is that running, in the pocket, sliding, taking a hit,,   his risk is never really minimized. He plays QB in the NFL and that means he's vulnerable.

I am sure it's been discussed but i don't feel like reading over the whol thread...  the worst shot he took last night was in the pocket, with the stunt thatcame up the middle.

Folks who think he's MORE at risk on the run haven't noticed how many QBs get hurt in the pocket. It doesn't matter if they're a runner or a so-called 'pocket passer".. they take shots. bad shots, shots when they're in open positions.

the OP makes a prediction, but in reality it's not so bold. Most QBs will miss some time this year.

When it comes to serious knee injuries,,   i think I don't see much difference in him being on the run or being in the pocket as it all collapses around his legs. Except maybe on the run he is in better position to athletically protect himself.

~Bang

I wonder how he'd react to the coach telling him "if you take contact rather than sliding early twice in a game, you're done for the day". It's year three and he's ducking a shoulder into defenders in preseason. At this point it might take something drastic to get him to change. That or maybe another season destroying injury.

I think, ultimately, some people are afraid to see Griffin succeed. Maybe they don't want to see him succeed. I don't know. Whatever it is, it seems like there is a growing lack of support for Griffin. Just a season ago he lit the world on fire, won rookie of the year and started a revolution that changed offense in the NFL. Now he's under so much negative scrutiny that he will never get a fair shake.

He is no more likely to face injury than Wilson or Kaepernik, Young or Favre. Let's not exaggerate things here.

^Agreed.

Anyway, Sheehan actually had a good point today. As long as everyone stays healthy, it is gonna be pretty hard for RG3 to screw up this season lol. The dude isn't ass. He can get the football to open guys. This WR core is gonna be open and will draw a ton of penalties with the new "emphasis" this season.

The only issue is him staying healthy

^Agreed.

Anyway, Sheehan actually had a good point today. As long as everyone stays healthy, it is gonna be pretty hard for RG3 to screw up this season lol. The dude isn't ass. He can get the football to open guys. This WR core is gonna be open and will draw a ton of penalties with the new "emphasis" this season.

The only issue is him staying healthy

there is a TON of talent on offense.

It's almost drool-worthy if not for a 3-13 season to keep reality in focus.

~Bang

Archived