Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 will not make it through the 2014 season healthy ... mark my words

HogHeaven1983

Mark my words

- 4 quarterbacks will be hurt this year and will be out for multiple games.

- 3 quarterbacks will be benched before mid-season

- 2 quarterbacks that are over-rated will be shown as over-rated

- 1 quarterback will start all 16 regular season games for team with a proud native American emblem on their helmet

We all have our opinions. 

I missed the game but I saw the gif of the sideline ping-pong hit and to me it looked like he was running for the sideline but a defender was there, and then two more.  He definitely should have slid but I dont think he was trying to stay in bounds on purpose either. 

How about Bubba my words ?

I think the real problem is that RG3 has a Superman complex -- and he doesnt think, at least when he's in the middle of game and in that competitve mindset, that he CAN be hurt.   So he would rather get that extra yard and take a hit ... than go down 5 yards sooner and live to make another play.  If you watch Russell Wilson, he slides when the defenders get within about 5 yards of him -- so there is a huge cushion.   WIth RG3, he's not even thinking about going down until the defenders are within 1 or 2 yards -- too close -- and he ends up getting crushed. 

RG3 has a false concept of himself -- he thinks he's in the body of a 240 pound fullback and not in the body of a frail 215 pound track star.  

I dont buy any of this "Im working on it BS either"  ... If he was going to change, he would have done it by now.  Clearly this is something that he is unable to change.   In the heat of the game, he's always going to fight for that extra yard rather than go down 5 yards sooner -- it's just his mental make-up.

It's sad really as I think he could turn into a half way decent QB in a few years.  As it is,he will be one of those talented players that never fully lives up to his potential.   I suppose his contract will be up in 1 or 2 years.   That might be a good time to cut your losses and look to another QB to run this team (Cousins perhaps).

Sliding is not as difficult as some folks wanna make it.  It's not like he's being asked to hit a curveball.  And he's got plenty of people willing to help him learn how to slide and plenty to down time to practice.  Good buddies with Bryce Harper, who I'm sure can give him pointers (and I believe has already).  Even if you don't know how, it shouldn't take 2-3 years of hits to figure out how to do it.  Here's a plan: Go out in the backyard at the palatial Griffin estate with a slip n slide and go to town.  Then take those slip n slide skills to the grass.  Then take it to OTAs and practice. Then to the games.

And his sliding doesn't even have to picture perfect.  He doesn't have to look like Vince Coleman out there.  But it's gotta be competent and his sliding skills aren't even that.  

And the fact that the average joe's anecdotal stories of not being able to slide has no bearing on whether RG3 should be able to do it.  

What people do not realize is that sliding is a mindset in baseball players.  Every time they approach a a base, they are prepared to do it.  RGIII knows how to slide, he just does not want to do it, so he make the decision too late. 

I can get with that.  He doesn't take off thinking of when he's gonna get down.  By the time he figures it out, he's getting bounced around like a pinball machine. 

If it does happen again i hope we trade him and be done with this experiment. Give the reigns to cousins and take it from there. Looking at all the weapons on the field last night was ridiculous. All we need is a distributor of the ball not slash part 2.

The love some of you guys have for Cousins is astonishing. I'll never understand this towns infatuation with the back up.........

The problem with threads like these is the double down effect.

Someone or several someones take a stand.  It may even be a reasonable stand. 

"Mobile quarterbacks put themselves at risk for more hits.  RGIII ought to be more self aware."

Then they are challenged.

"He does seem to be more self aware.  In preseason one he threw nothing but checkdowns and he actually tried to slide to avoid a hit twice yesterday."

Then, poster one or those on that side of the fense instead of conceding or modifying their position feel the need to be right and so they exaggerate.

"RGIII never slides and he thinks he's Superman always trying to initiate contact!  He's a football dummy!"

And soon we're ping ponging back and forth into the land of the absurd.

I missed the game but I saw the gif of the sideline ping-pong hit and to me it looked like he was running for the sideline but a defender was there, and then two more.  He definitely should have slid but I dont think he was trying to stay in bounds on purpose either. 

....but he stretched it up the field to max out the yardage. He could have ran out of bounds sooner before the defenders had a chance for the hits.

He was clearly fighting for that first down in a meaningless preseason game.

Yeah the WR (not sure who) on the outside had his back to the sideline with his man pinned in front of him. RG could have just tucked in behind that WR block and out of bounds.

Edit: here it is...looks like it was J Reed making the block, not a WR. Top right of your screen...you can see his back to the sideline. He had 58 locked up, pushing him away from the sideline and Griff just ran to the opposite side of the block to remain in-bounds and take a triple dosage of hits:

osMl8vT.gif

This was his first game, last week he did nothing, played it safe for the short time he was in there and people complained that he didn't look any good.  Then last night he played pretty good and people still find something to rip him with.  Yes his protecting himself is an issue and he will address it, this was his first real action in 9 months, next game he will be safer and smarter.  Then I read on nfl.com that his stats were misleading and his footwork was horrible and he was reckless...blah blah blah.  He played better than his stats show if you ask me.

Archived