Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 will not make it through the 2014 season healthy ... mark my words

HogHeaven1983

Posted a few times. Fans demand immediate improvement." I want to see him lean this new technique over night and look like a 10 year veteran short stop NAO! " :ols:

That's really the problem here. It's SO easy. It's SO the right thing to do. He's had SO much time to correct SUCH an obvious issue.

Griffin just doesn't want to learn. He wants to be the star. He can't control his ego. It's a problem and I agree with the OP. He's going down again soon. 

Many of you want to ignore it or flame those who complain about it but you will see. He'll get hurt again and it will be his own fault and it will cost him his career.

He just won't slide. 

There's a big difference in practice and game.  You could see him working on it throughout this game alone.  I thought it was obvious that in the heat of the moment he went for the extra yardage and then improved the next couple times he scrambled after being talked to I'm sure....I could be wrong and I'm not here to "flame" anyone, but that was my take on it.

"He'll never change" Really? 

In a high speed, high pressure sport, changing habits that have been ingrained in your psyche your entire life is not a seamless transition. It takes time, and it takes repitition. I agree that he is awful at it, and he needs to make it a priority but to say that he will never get it is a bit dramatic. His entire life he was able to outrun people, getting sliding to a point where it requires no thought will take time.

Especially considering that he's been practicing under no threat to get harmed, turning on the switch and getting into the self-defense mode is also not seamless. 

52667cbf837d607ab04354fc04ca2f77484cdde3

No really, this guy needs to learn to slide.  I've never played anything but basketball and I guarantee I could go out in my backyard and slide right now. How can he not do it?  Is he just riding out the play to long or something?

Also why did he not run out of bounds on that one play. is it worth getting clobbered on a preseason game? He just needs to make better decisions and the rest is correctable with experience.

I think he doesn't take the safe play and get out of bounds because he is "reaching" to make plays, when really all he needs to do is let the game come to him as cliche as that sounds. He really does just need to watch film on Wilson. Wilson just plays the game calm and cool and makes plays which RGIII is more than capable of doing. This is simply him trying his absolute best to make the "homerun" play.

For those of you saying he'll never change I think are sadly mistaken. He's aware of it, Grudes is aware of it, his teammates are aware of it, everyone is. If there's anything Robert is known for, it's working.

He will work hard to get this corrected and I guarantee you he'll be working his butt off trying to slide properly in game situations. He's in the middle of a ****-storm right now learning a new playbook, adjusting to new teammates, and a new regime.

Give it time and be patient...every QB takes licks. It's not something that has come naturally to Robert, unlike almighty God of Elusiveness, Russell Wilson.

I think you're exactly right.

I actually have a somewhat different perspective: I understand that Griffin needs to learn to protect himself.  I get that.  But what I'm worried about is with all of the scrutiny, it's going to get in his head, and he's going to lose one of the things that can make him special, and that's his raw athletic ability.

A few points:

• All the folks that are saying that he is not elusive are wrong.  He can be very elusive.  There are plays, like the Rams play when he juked Finnigan out of his jock, and the 4th down play against the Giants that prove it.  When healthy, he's very elusive.
  • I don't want him to turn into the Redskins version of Mark Brunnell, when it wasn't there, he just chucked it in the stands.  I want him to extend plays with his feet, inside the pocket and outside.
  • I want him to run.  It adds variety to his game, and puts the defense off balanc

What he needs to learn, and he will learn, especially as he keeps taking hits, is how to protect himself without limiting his athletic ability.  Part of this is just awareness.  As he's learning a new offense, and seeing more about where defenders are, he's going to be able to "feel" when the hit it coming, and get down.  

The problem with the hits he takes in the middle of the field is that he's generally a beat or two slow to get down.  As he gets more experience, he's going to learn that, and get down sooner.

And, unlike some, I'm ok if he takes a few hits.  Because QBs take hits.  It's part of the game.  And if he gets hit 5 times a game, as long as they are not de-cleaters, eh, that's fine.  He's a tough kid, he can handle it.

He's not some fragile vase that we need to put on a shelf and say "don't touch."

And what I worry about, with all the media scrutiny, is that it's going to get in his head, and that's going to cause him to hesitate, and that's going to just exacerbate the issue. 

And what I worry about, with all the media scrutiny, is that it's going to get in his head, and that's going to cause him to hesitate, and that's going to just exacerbate the issue. 

I think this has already happened to some degree, you saw him respond to his Twitter "critics" regarding the issue:

Robert Griffin III @RGIII  ·  10h

Just want y'all to know I will keep working on getting down and not take those bigs hits. Got it right the third time

IMO, RG3 knows how to slide. The whole problem is with his decision making.

When he scrambles out of the pocket he is thinking 1st, make a play, 2nd make a better play, and then 3rd, protect himself.

By the time he gets to option 3 it is too late and he is in an awkward position to protect himself.

This is why he looks clumsy when finally deciding to slide.

The same applies with running out of bounds. He wants to get every yard possible before deciding to run out of bounds.

That is why he takes so many sideline shots. Yesterday he had ample time to run out of bounds but he waited too long and became a human pin ball.

RG3 needs to reverse his thinking in these situations. He needs to 1st, Look for someone to get the ball to and out of his hands, 2nd protect himself by throwing the ball away, sliding or running out of bounds, 3rd if a safe play with his legs presents itself, then make a play. 

Until he changes the order of his thinking, he is playing roulette with his body and career.

hmm...thats odd...we didn't even play the bengals last season. and if you mean his rookie season in week 2, i dont recall grifin getting knocked out of that game. he got knocked out of the week 5 game against the falcons in his rookie season though.

Yea that! Last season is just a blur and I don't want to remember it.

I found it difficult to beleive that he didn't know how to slide last season ... and I am completely blown-away that he hasn't learned how to yet and/or that the team hasn't done whatever the heck is required to "coach him up" on a basic playground move that MILLIONS and MILLIONS of boys and girls master before the age of 8.

Ahhh.the honesty thread that know one likes ..except the people that can see how reckless Rg3 is still playing ..poor sliding and won't get out of bounds..i hope jay chews him out. .

Well, I'm not sure that it's really more than a chicken little thread.  When used in the right context, it can provide some interesting conversation.

Posts like this, however, really don't add much to the conversation.  Robert really wasn't that reckless.  More slow in decision making.  

There's no chance Jay is going to chew him out.  What he might say, however, is, "Robert, dude, buddy, friend of mine, we've got to speed up your decision making process so you don't take too many hits, or else I'm going to be coaching Kirk, and you're going to be spending a lot of quality time with Dr. Andrews and a rehab center.  Let's take a look at what you could have done differently."

I think this has already happened to some degree, you saw him respond to his Twitter "critics" regarding the issue:

Robert Griffin III @RGIII  ·  10h

Just want y'all to know I will keep working on getting down and not take those bigs hits. Got it right the third time

This makes me very unhappy, honestly.  All the way around.  

1. Acknowledging it

2. Changing his game.

3. and the fact that he's even listening to his twitter followers.

:(  So far, this tweet is the worst thing to come out of the whole game. 

IMO, RG3 knows how to slide. The whole problem is with his decision making.

When he scrambles out of the pocket he is thinking 1st, make a play, 2nd make a better play, and then 3rd, protect himself.

By the time he gets to option 3 it is too late and he is in an awkward position to protect himself.

This is why he looks clumsy when finally deciding to slide.

Couldn't agree more.

Though I don't think he's a natural slider to start with.  And I think there might be something about the whole knee-reconstruction thing that might play into that.  I don't know that I'd be very comfortable hook-sliding baseball style, if I'd had 2 knee surgeries. More of a mental thing.  

Maybe Robert needs to go to a Nats game and practice with the guys before a game.  Would actually be a lot of fun to see, and a good publicity stunt.  :)

the way he gets his cleats caught in the turf and the awful twists he makes while that is happening when he starts the only slides I've seen him come close to making ... honestly ... he's be better off if he just ducked and wrapped the ball up and took the hit ... his knees and ankles are in gawd-awful positions in those hideous slides and guys are still hitting him since its nowhere near close enough to an actual slide to have the rule protect him against hit ... mix the bad body and joint positions with one or two heavy hits and I'm sickened by the thought

arent predictions just that...predictons? not defending the OP, but this was just his opinion, and his prediction. he wasnt saying that he knows RG3 wont make it through the season healthy. with that being said, he didnt have to start this thread.

He's allowed to have an opinion, is every thread supposed to be drinking the Kool Aid?  The only thing is maybe it could've been worded more articulately and less abrasively.

Like others have said running is not the issue, RGIII must take what the defense gives him.   We have seen this from him for 2 years now.  He most learn to protect himself by making the right decision (sliding, getting out of bounds or throwing ball away). He will not last making the decisions he made last night.  It up to Gruden to instill this into RGIII and not take his word for it.  Gruden should dedicate a hole team practice 11 on 11 designed around him learning to make the right decision.  It most be done.  HTTR

the way he gets his cleats caught in the turf and the awful twists he makes while that is happening when he starts the only slides I've seen him come close to making ... honestly ... he's be better off if he just ducked and wrapped the ball up and took the hit ... his knees and ankles are in gawd-awful positions in those hideous slides and guys are still hitting him since its nowhere near close enough to an actual slide to have the rule protect him against hit ... mix the bad body and joint positions with one or two heavy hits and I'm sickened by the thought

What is it with 'Skins QBs who can't slide.  This was a problem with JC as well.  

There is a rule about going head first vs. feet first, and if you go head first, you can still be hit, if you go feet first, you can't.  Or something like that.  

So, in an ideal world, he learns to slide more elegantly, and starts the slide sooner.  

re: pocket presence

I was thrilled with that strike to DJax. He went through all his reads, stayed in the pocket, and let the play develop.

Also that pump fake, look the safety off, and then rainbow right into the WR's hands in stride was perfect, and back to the 2012 deep balls we're used to. I think the end of 2012 and last year are still freaking everyone out, but I think he's actually turning the corner on 2013 and we'll see him back to accurate, elusive, SMARTER football this year. Mark my words.

What hyperbole. Last week, we were doomed because RGIII was inaccurate and couldn't hit anything but two yard passes. This week, the man refuses to slide despite sliding twice.

Living life through a microscope lens gives one a distorted view.

I'm not saying there's no problem but the magnitude if is being exaggerated.

What hyperbole. Last week, we were doomed because RGIII was inaccurate and couldn't hit anything but two yard passes. This week, the man refuses to slide despite sliding twice.

You are very correct. 

I was thrilled with that strike to DJax. He went through all his reads, stayed in the pocket, and let the play develop.

Also that pump fake, look the safety off, and then rainbow right into the WR's hands in stride was perfect, and back to the 2012 deep balls we're used to. I think the end of 2012 and last year are still freaking everyone out, but I think he's actually turning the corner on 2013 and we'll see him back to accurate, elusive, SMARTER football this year. Mark my words.

I've predicted a better season in 2014 than he had in 2012. 

And nothing I've seen so far has shown me anything to change my mind. 

He slid twice but he still waited too long to decide to slide on both plays, hence still putting himself at risk.

The whole idea of sliding is to protect yourself to reduce risk of injury. RG3 failed at this both times.

He didn't slide. That's the problem. If you call that sliding, then we need to come to a consensus on what an actual slide is defined as because I don't think the NFL would label that thing he was doing last night as a "slide", therefore, he loses his league-mandated protection for QB's.

Well, to be fair, it no longer becomes an exaggeration when he gets clocked for trying to be competitive.

We saw his human pinball run, now imagine him cutting around the left side of the line with a safety, unseen by him, cutting across at full speed from the left.

I'm saying he will eventually get it down only because he has to.  Its not something to brush off as trivial, it is a serious issue.

Or, should we all wait until another Ngata incident  happens, and watch in horror as Griffin's leg is wrapped around his shoulder, because the emphasis wasn't stressed enough or his competitiveness over-ran safety.  People say he's a smart kid and will get it; he is absolutely a smart kid, classy, a little ****y but not over the top, but Baylor and the NFL are vastly different; ask Manziel.

One other little thing to keep in mind; people say he can out-run defenses chasing him; thats true right now, but he will slow down, and every year there are fresh legs coming into the league, who will make Griffin look slow. Its just better for him to totally wrap his mind around this problem and fix it now, not later, or someone will beat him to it, and not the way we like.

People are never happy.  He played a good game besides the one bad pass that was picked off by one of the best corners in the game.  Griffin showed that he can hang in the pocket and go through his progressions.  He was nailing his receivers all over the field and running like a gazelle....so what can we be critical of?  He is reckless and can't slide, he is going to be a dead man by week 3...blah blah blah.  Let the coaches worry about that and be happy you have a playmaker under center.

I'm done reading any thread started about RG3.

"He'll never change" Really? 

In a high speed, high pressure sport, changing habits that have been ingrained in your psyche your entire life is not a seamless transition. It takes time, and it takes repitition. I agree that he is awful at it, and he needs to make it a priority but to say that he will never get it is a bit dramatic. His entire life he was able to outrun people, getting sliding to a point where it requires no thought will take time.

Especially considering that he's been practicing under no threat to get harmed, turning on the switch and getting into the self-defense mode is also not seamless. 

Stop making excuses. He's had two seasons and two offseasons. Dude should absofreakinglutely be sliding. Now.

That's great, but RG3 saying the right thing isn't the problem. I hope last night was enough for Jay to have something to work with.

Exactly.

Don't get me wrong - I understand it's his hyper-competitiveness that causes him to make these decisions. And generally speaking - you want that, especially from someone that is supposed to be your leader.

The problem is that's not something you can just say you're going to fix - it's instinctive. It's also caused by him getting away with it at every level through his whole life.

Him doing it in week 2 of a preseason game tells me the adjustment needs much more work than I would have thought. So it's a question of the odds, every time he takes off it's a gamble - is he going to be safe, is he going to get hurt, or is he finally going to show that he's learned how to run conservatively.

It's not a OMG Griffin is awful thing - it's a holy **** I'm genuinely worried that a guy that could be an amazing, long term quarterback is going to have his career cut short because he can't control himself over something as simple as protecting his body when he runs...

People keep saying that RG3 is intelligent and that may be true off the field but on the field he has consistently displayed poor judgement. Last night was a pre-season game. It means notthing! It is about getting some reps for the starters fine tuning what you want to do and then evaluating the backups to determine who is going to make the team and who is going to be cutting.

RG3 is allowing himself to take hits while scrambling for yards shows a lack of "football intelligence". No matter how you condition your body has only so many hits in it for a season. Why uses them up in the pre-season. Yes the Oline is a work in progress. We are a patchwork quilt at best but if you know that coming in and you are an intelligent football player you will take that into account. Some hits cannot be avoided like the sack inside the pocket but the hits on some of those short scrambles are uncessary and IMHO unintelligent.

I love to watch RG3 scramble and break a big run when it is there but that is not the problem. The problem is he is not scrambling to throw he is scrambling to run. Too often the runs that are open are too short before there will be contact. Again an intelligent football player will take 2 yards and no contact vs 4 yards and a shot to the ribs, thighs or being planted on your throwing shoulder. By always looking to run for yards vs looking to scramble to throw. He misses people as they break open and then takes hits to his body and legs for minimal gains. As fast as he is he should never get hit the way he does on these short scrambles. He should be getting outside the tackle box going through his progessions and then throwing the ball away. The rules allow intelligent QBs to do this all game long. Why doesn't RG3 understand this.

I love him I want him to play 16+ games this season but he has to understand he cannot win the game on every play. The game is won most of the time by lots of good play strung together not a single highlight! He looked good at times throwing the ball on time to open recievers but when it was not there he could not accept that the play did not work, throw it away, slide or get out of bounds. Instead he took hits. If this was his rookie year it would not be as alarming but in year #3 after year #1 ended because of injuries caused by this type of play and year #2 was garbage because of the injury one has to begin to ask how high is RG3s "football intelligence."

YMMV

Archived