Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

RG3 will not make it through the 2014 season healthy ... mark my words

HogHeaven1983

This is not a stupid thread, it might end up being a fact. Robert Griffin got knocked out  against the Falcons his 1st season because of taking on their secondary. he did it again tonight and got damn lucky he wasn't drilled. Then those slides of his reminded me of Jason Candle, it's obvious he isn't going to learn how to slide or he already would have. It's been 3 years everyone, how much time does a person really need to learn something? Surely not 3 years! God bless and protect you Robert Griffin, you're going to need it.

I honestly think that, after RGIII's first ACL injury, he became terrified of his leg catching underneath him the wrong way when he tried to slide, and he's just kind of become instinctively averse to doing a natural slide.  Seems like he never wants to fully let that surgically repaired leg give way beneath him.

This is not a stupid thread, it might end up being a fact. Robert Griffin got knocked out last season against the Bengals because of taking on their secondary. he did it again tonight and got damn lucky he wasn't drilled. Then those slides of his reminded me of Jason Candle, it's obvious he isn't going to learn how to slide or he already would have. It's been 3 years everyone, how much time does a person really need to learn something? Surely not 3 years! God bless and protect you Robert Griffin, you're going to need it.

hmm...thats odd...we didn't even play the bengals last season. and if you mean his rookie season in week 2, i dont recall grifin getting knocked out of that game. he got knocked out of the week 5 game against the falcons in his rookie season though.

It was the first question asked at Gruden's presser.  Gruden is concerned about it and said it needs to be worked on.  I thought Robert looked good, but watching him still resemble a pinball is very disappointing.  Bring in a baseball coach or player and teach the man how to slide once and for all. 

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:35 PM

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

So last year we used our #1 pick and gave up two additional #1's and a #2 to select RG3

The sad truth is, I think the "fair trade value" of RG3 right now (if the redskins were shopping him (which I realize they are not) would probably be no higher than a single #2 and perhaps a single #3.

Talk about plummeting value

I think the worst aspect of RG3's fall is not his injury, but him showing

1. his "selfish" immaturity

2. horrible mechanics

3. horrible decision making

4. staring down receivers (inability to scan the field or look off defenders)

These are all things that wont improve next year when the knee brace hopefully goes away.

RG3 is simply a slower more injury prone version of Michael Vick, without the dogs.

That's from the last thread you created about RGIII...I think we get it. You don't like him.

Most seem to be missing the mark by focusing on RG3 running. If the OL protected better then RG3's desire to run would be reduced to a minimum. Chester is awful, he can't start. Polumbus is meh at best. That right side looked better with Long and Compton in. 

Posted 27 November 2013 - 08:35 PM
Oh how the mighty have fallen.

So last year we used our #1 pick and gave up two additional #1's and a #2 to select RG3

The sad truth is, I think the "fair trade value" of RG3 right now (if the redskins were shopping him (which I realize they are not) would probably be no higher than a single #2 and perhaps a single #3.

Talk about plummeting value

I think the worst aspect of RG3's fall is not his injury, but him showing

1. his "selfish" immaturity
2. horrible mechanics
3. horrible decision making
4. staring down receivers (inability to scan the field or look off defenders)

These are all things that wont improve next year when the knee brace hopefully goes away.
RG3 is simply a slower more injury prone version of Michael Vick, without the dogs.

That's from the last thread you created about RGIII...I think we get it. You don't like him.

Most of his threads are negative and often he just posts it and then never replies again. Kind of like what a troll would do.

Most seem to be missing the mark by focusing on RG3 running. If the OL protected better then RG3's desire to run would be reduced to a minimum. Chester is awful, he can't start. Polumbus is meh at best. That right side looked better with Long and Compton in. 

Most of his threads are negative and often he just posts it and then never replies again. Kind of like what a troll would do.

Was watching Polumbus closely during goal line drive and he doesn't even give effort to push Alfred into the endzone, just stood there.

It does get frustrating when Rob doesn't slide SOONER, you slide to reach your destination not slide at the destination. I don't think sliding is natural to him so.. I suggest just flat out sitting down on the grass.

It's pretty infuriating that he still doesn't get it. He makes a joke of sliding in practice and then goes out onto the field and almost injures himself attempting it. He's competitive to the point of throwing caution to the wind. It's bad enough he does it during the regular season, but preseason!?

I said this early in the training camp thread when it was reported when he would get sacked or tagged in the drill he would keep going to do the scramble drill and sort of go flamed a little. It's not really in Griffins game to surrender a play. Yeah it's a trait I'd want in our QB but man doing it in a preseason game? It's crazy. He actually had a decent game and you can see how our offense is going to be dangerous if he can just protect the ball like 2012. He had one bad pass out of 8 and that was the interception (other inc was a drop). We will drive teams crazy this year when they have our play covered and Griffin can run for yards. A lot of teams don't have that and do have to throw it away. But man pick and choose your spots to do that. Close games in the 2nd half is the time for maybe taking a hit on the sideline gaining a few more yards instead of going out of bounce.

They have got to figure out his slide though, he is going to hurt himself on his own. The way his leg bent back on the first slide made my heart stop and its so unnecessary. How can you be an athlete of Griffins caliber and not know how to slide my God. But yeah, this is what griffin brings to the table I don't expect many balls being thrown out of bounce its just who he is. Since we all know that he has got to work on sliding.

I'll have to go back and watch again but I thought he looked better tonight keeping the ball up and his eyes downfield seeing if a WR broke open. He didn't run right away when flushed from the pocket

Yes I plan to take another look later too.  One play I clearly remember on one of his first scrambles out of the pocket was a player, i forget who, mighta been a back, with like 30 yards down the right sideline to work with.  Looked like it would have been an easy play.  

Hopefully he has already improved and will get better at this because if he learn to buy more time with his legs and look downfield, he has receivers that nobody can cover for long.  And this is how he can dominate this year.

And it starts ugh

Moderator please lock this useless thread please!

HTTR!

RG3s ability to stay healthy is obviously something people worry about and like to discuss. It comes up all the time in the real world when people start talking about the redskins at a bar or at work. It's obviously mentioned b the media as well. Makes sense that it pop up here as it's own thread and it also isn't surprising that it upset people. Many fans dislike anything negative and this is one of every skins fans greatest fears. There's no getting away from it, and it's going to keep popping up.

Maybe this OP has a negative history but I don't see this topic as useless. It's what a lot of fans talk about and this is a redskins forum. It can't all be positive topics.

...That's from the last thread you created about RGIII...I think we get it. You don't like him.

Uh, yeah.

Sounds about right.

I'd just like to point out to everyone, Griffin DID actually perform a perfect slide tonight.  It looked like he was uncertain about it, maybe it was even an accident, but the slide he performed (I believe in beginning of the 2nd quarter) was exactly how he should be doing it.

I agree with whoever said that his problem isn't as much learning to slide as it is learning to throw the ball away.

Maybe this OP has a negative history but I don't see this topic as useless. It's what a lot of fans talk about and this is a redskins forum. It can't all be positive topics.

I don't think the topic is useless, but it's generally looked down on if the OP never comments in his own threads again.

If you're not interested in conversing, why start the thread?

I know we don't like to hear it, but if RGIII continues to take those hits and doesn't learn to slide properly, HE WILL have a short career. I want to see him lead the Skins for the next 10 plus years like everyone else, but I don't see it right now.

When did he play against the Bengals last season?

Even stupider is that when he played vs. the Bengals in 2012, he was getting hammered because of triple option, etc.  Meaning, he really had little control over some of those hits in comparison to later games where he was getting hit but nowhere near as bad.  They also flagged Cincy for going over the line (as many teams do with running QBs these days.)  So, it wasn't him "taking on" Bengals DBs it was a running play! lol  He was doing what he could.

He still doesnt know how to slide or how to avoid hits.

RG3 is destined to blow out his knee again ...

I would trade RG3 straight up for Russell Wilson in a heartbeat.  Wilson has 10x the pocket presence and smarts on how to avoid injury.  

I agree with you to an extent. Gruden and McVay need to push it through his head before the season starts to throw it away or slide. There isn't another QB in the NFL with Griffin's speed and arm strength. We can't abandon using his legs completely though. We can try to make him a pocket passer all we want, but he's going to be better out of it. High risk, high reward.

I wouldn't trade RG3 for Wilson though. Wilson may be the smarter quarterback right now and have better pocket presence. However, he is not nearly as talented and does not have the arm that Griffin has. Griffin still needs grooming, Russell has probably hit his peak. It's funny how fast people forget RG3 won Rookie of the Year just 2 season ago.

Even stupider is that when he played vs. the Bengals in 2012, he was getting hammered because of triple option, etc.  Meaning, he really had little control over some of those hits in comparison to later games where he was getting hit but nowhere near as bad.  They also flagged Cincy for going over the line (as many teams do with running QBs these days.)  So, it wasn't him "taking on" Bengals DBs it was a running play! lol  He was doing what he could.

and the guy said "knocked out" of the bengals game. he didnt get knocked out of that game, he got knocked out of the game against the falcons.

Archived