Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today.com: QB tutor: RG3 looks '100 percent healthy'

CaliSkinsFan92

Just because Dalton couldn't outrun a banana slug doesn't mean that they didn't practice broken plays.  I'm sure they did.  Because in my memory of the Bengal's offense, they seemed to do pretty well after the script of the play broke down.

Good point... I didn't watch enough of the Bengals offense to make a judgment on that, but I'll take your word for it. :)

Terry Shea was on the Sports Fix a few minutes ago.    He reinforced the points made in the article.   Some points added to it:  he said RG3 seems ultra energized by a combination of losing the brace, and moving from Shanny to Gruden.   RG3 is self aware -- was concerned about his mechanical flaws and issues he had last season.  He was big time accurate when he had him for that week, said his last throw in session was him going full speed, and threw a 55 yard bullet to the right, dead on accurate.  He said few Qb's can make that throw,  He thinks he's ready for a big year. 

Terry Shea was on the Sports Fix a few minutes ago.    He reinforced the points made in the article.   Some points added to it:  he said RG3 seems ultra energized by a combination of losing the brace, and moving from Shanny to Gruden.   RG3 is self aware -- was concerned about his mechanical flaws and issues he had last season.  He was big time accurate when he had him for that week, said his last throw in session was him going full speed, and threw a 55 yard bullet to the right, dead on accurate.  He said few Qb's can make that throw,  He thinks he's ready for a big year. 

Dont see why anyone is worried about Griffin. It's beyond obvious now that he has the time and health to correct things and get better he would work 110% to get it done.

Dont see why anyone is worried about Griffin. It's beyond obvious now that he has the time and health to correct things and get better he would work 110% to get it done.

I am not worried personally but plenty of media types and angry fans calling into radio shows seem to be, and some stragglers on this board, too.  I am all in for RG3 2014.

Here's the Shea interview, well worth listening to

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=428&f=2673043

The benching apparently paid off.

If Shanahan was really serious about benching Robert for his safety, he would have benched him prior to the snowy Kansas City game.  That game was fraught with risk on a slippery field.

I have had problems with Shanahan's decisions ever since Robert was injured in the playoff game when we were 14 points up and could have won the game.  Instead MS kept Robert in and he was injured even more seriously. 

Glad to hear the Robert is in good shape!

Best thing to take from this is Robert is trying to get better. Can't ask for more.

Very true.  And from that audio it sounds like they have a really good relationship: "I love you Robert" "I love you too coach".   Having a good relationship with a QB guru will be very beneficial for Robert's career.

The only thing that gives me hope is that SOMEONE has to bring this to his attention, and he knows that RGIII isn't Dalton and will need to be taught very differently.

Didn't Gruden mention RGIII was a major factor in why he chose here over the other teams?

Seemed like Griff was at his best when we were running some hurry up stuff, but Kyle would always move away from it and go to something else that would guarantee a 3 and out.

This was never more obvious then in the Vikings game, I believe. We went up 14-0, were moving the ball well and they were unable to stop us. Yet for no reason other than Kyle had gameplanned to switch it up after two series, we went back to Pistol and lost all the momentum. The Vikes had yet to figure out how to stop the spread/no-huddle and apparently didn't need to because we never went back to it. 

This is the year of STFU and show me, isn't it?

So, just do it! :)

For you maybe, but Robert was ROY in 2012 - he has already showed it, so STFU and enjoy the ride.

I think the talk of RGIII missing training camp is a bit overstated personally. He was doing all the individual drills and there was a LOT that they could (and I assume were) working on in terms of footwork, mechanics, coverage identification and new concept/play installation. No question being held out of the team sessions and missing the whole of preseason was a drag on RGIIIs progress and the whole offense - but there was opportunity for development all the same.

The work Robert is doing these past 2 weeks in April is about the same work he was doing in July/August of last year.  This year in April, he is leading the sprints.  Last year in July he was just being allowed to sprint.  This year in March Robert sponsored a QB camp.  Last year in March, Robert was trying get 80% flexibility in his knee.  What you said above is way overstated.

I usually follow the logic that the truth is had somewhere in the middle.

1.  To discount the recovery and lack of preparation RGIII had prior to the start of the season does not make sense.  Of course it affected his play and preparation.  Only Robert and the coaches know how much.

2.  I don't disagree with this guy Shea, but I think his comments are a bit harsh.  Here he is in getting a healthy RGIII, apparently fully recovered RGIII, to retool and get his footwork back on track.  I am not defending the previous coaching staff, but they had a broken and recovering RGIII to work with.  How the heck do we know what it was like to plant on a recovering knee?  To say that did not affect his mechanics is kind of stupid.  Add in the fact that the head coach could not communicate, undermined the team and it is not surprising RGIII struggled.

I am just glad I am hearing he is healthy and can spend the full off season getting ready and prepared.

To join the othe conversion, I would love to know why Kyle S. kept the playbook simple and didn't change the offense between years.  I agree that he didn't seem to adjust very well during games.  I also agree that the players did not help him out, and I blame the head coach for not giving him the talent.  Shanny failed as a personnel guy more than anything else.  To lay the blame completely on Kyle is unfair.  We added quality receivers, getting our TE back and clearly want to upgrade the Oline.  That says something right there.

You need the offseason to change offenses. With Robert rehabbing and not knowing when he could come back, I guess Kyle thought it best to roll with what we had done. Unfortunately, that puts us at a disadvantage as everyone (including our opponents) knew what was coming. With Robert rehabbing, it made no sense to change the offense when he couldn't practice it. If he decides to change it, Robert wouldn't be prepared in September, so when he was ready to play, he was already familiar with the offense from last year.

I'd be shocked to learn that Kyle didn't have an issue with Robert's mechanics or just ignored the issue. Furthermore, Kyle was known to be a stickler about that stuff or have we all forgotten McNabb complaining about Kyle trying to make him a "robot" every chance he got? A big part of that was because Kyle wanted him to fix up his sloppy footwork that caused pain and destruction to many blades of grass and the insects that lived therein. 

For all we know, Kyle could've been on Robert about it all the time and Robert just didn't trust his knee enough during games to be consistent with it.

Archived