Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today.com: QB tutor: RG3 looks '100 percent healthy'

CaliSkinsFan92

Why the skepticism in this particular case, though?

This is the guy who worked on RG3's mechanics and footwork which were great in 2012.  And the flaws last year are things we all pointed out from our vantage points on our couches/beds.  If he's seeing these flaws corrected, why not take it at face value since the knowledgeable among us diagnosed it, at least by mid-season, and the guy who helped him become #2 pick tutored him again and says he's good.

His footwork and mechanics were great in 2012, in one very specific scenario. A WCO 3-step drop, with a single read.

A 3-step drop with a 2nd read, and 5-step drop mechanics have never been good.

In 2013, all of his footwork and timing was off. He had totally lost confidence in his reads and delivery.

It takes a lot more than six days to drill that kind of footwork and timing in to a QB...it takes months...thousands of reps with the specific players to whom he will be throwing on game day.

So, his comments are nice to see, but it in no way means RG3 is ready to be awesome. I really don't think he intended it that way either. I'm sure Shae would agree with all of what I just wrote.

I think the talk of RGIII missing training camp is a bit overstated personally. He was doing all the individual drills and there was a LOT that they could (and I assume were) working on in terms of footwork, mechanics, coverage identification and new concept/play installation. No question being held out of the team sessions and missing the whole of preseason was a drag on RGIIIs progress and the whole offense - but there was opportunity for development all the same.

I couldn't disagree more.

RG3 knew the offense. He knew his reads, he new the designs, and he knew where to go with the ball. All of those things are done with study, classroom, and walk-throughs, and he worked hard at that.

The problem was all about footwork and timing. It takes a full summer...not just camp, not preseason, a full summer of drilling the footwork and timing for every route combination into your "muscle memory" with your specific receivers.

RG3 was unable to do that last off season, and it showed all season. When the play design worked perfectly, when the defender RG3 was reading did exactly what was expected, he still failed to get the ball to where it was supposed to be when it was supposed to be there.

...RG3 was unable to do that last off season, and it showed all season. When the play design worked perfectly, when the defender RG3 was reading did exactly what was expected, he still failed to get the ball to where it was supposed to be when it was supposed to be there.

The problems in the offense were far, far more then just Griffin missing some throws. And I say "some" throws on purpose because lets not have revisionist history. Griffin didn't "fail to get the ball where it supposed to be" anywhere near enough of the time to be "thee" problem.

Man... I just finished re-watching the Bears and Vikings games from last season and it's so apparent that RGIII performs at a very high level when running a hurry up offense with more than just two receivers in the game.  It's baffling that we went away from it so often when it was working so effectively.  Also, it's clear how much better having Jordan Reed in the game made this offense last year.  RGIII with Reed, Garcon, Jackson, and Roberts is going to be unfair.  Morris will bring the power when defenses are tired from chasing around the fastest receiving corps in the league.

I've never gotten the argument about RGIII not being good with his progressions.

I've seen him go through them very well when given the time. Key word here "time".

I've never seen a QBs game dissected more than Griffins is. All while completely ignoring his injury and the impact it had on his mechanics. RGIII had a below average year in 2013. But many factors played into that not just his flaws.

If O'Shea says Robert looks good I'm gonna take his word on it. Not to mention he got a ringing endorsement from Cooley who isn't afraid to tell it like it is.

I see an excellent season in store for RGIII.

i cannot wait to watch all these cornball brother ass "experts" backtrack when Rob starts lighting it up through the first month.

Yeah, especially some Dallas fans.  They have a thread over at Cowboyszone right now about him.  A lot of them think RG3 is the worst QB they've ever seen lol.  Morons.  When a rational Cowboys fan points out 2012, they make excuses.  I do think RG3 will have a great year.  I also think Dallas is going to implode this season, but that's a topic for another thread.

Yeah, especially some Dallas fans.  They have a thread over at Cowboyszone right now about him.  A lot of them think RG3 is the worst QB they've ever seen lol.  Morons.  When a rational Cowboys fan points out 2012, they make excuses.  I do think RG3 will have a great year.  I also think Dallas is going to implode this season, but that's a topic for another thread.

General thought on CZ is:

1) "RG3&Out" had a "TERRIBLE" season last year because he was never very good to begin with and the "book is out" on how to stop him.

2) "RGMe" is a "coach killer"

3) "RGKnee" will be out of the NFL in 2 years because of his "style of play"

A small percentage will at least acknowledge his recovery from knee surgery and his missing an offseason and preseason as playing a role in his sub-par season last year. Most others just type out "Deadskins suck, we always shut DeSean Jackson down anyway" and then pat each other on the back.

I couldn't disagree more.

That's allowed.

RG3 knew the offense. He knew his reads, he new the designs, and he knew where to go with the ball. All of those things are done with study, classroom, and walk-throughs, and he worked hard at that.

The problem was all about footwork and timing. It takes a full summer...not just camp, not preseason, a full summer of drilling the footwork and timing for every route combination into your "muscle memory" with your specific receivers.

RG3 was unable to do that last off season, and it showed all season. When the play design worked perfectly, when the defender RG3 was reading did exactly what was expected, he still failed to get the ball to where it was supposed to be when it was supposed to be there.

I'm not saying the time RGIII missed had no impact, I'm saying that talk of him 'missing training camp' is overstated. He still had a lot of reps working on footwork and timing with receivers during OTAs and camp. Not playing at all in preseason I think was an issue - just to take a couple of hits and build confidence in himself physically.

Also while RGIII certainly was inconsistent last year and missed some throws he would have made in his rookie year he also had games when he was very good. Overall his numbers last year are very similar to Lucks who everyone feels had a good year. Numbers don't tell the full story of course but RGIII being rusty and lacking some confidence was only a part of the problem on offense last year IMO.

General thought on CZ is:

1) "RG3&Out" had a "TERRIBLE" season last year because he was never very good to begin with and the "book is out" on how to stop him.

2) "RGMe" is a "coach killer"

3) "RGKnee" will be out of the NFL in 2 years because of his "style of play"

A small percentage will at least acknowledge his recovery from knee surgery and his missing an offseason and preseason as playing a role in his sub-par season last year. Most others just type out "Deadskins suck, we always shut DeSean Jackson down anyway" and then pat each other on the back.

Don't forget the pictures and gifs celebrating his injury.

I love all the good feeling and great reports--but we heard a lot of this last year too. We all know Robert is a hard worker, and a team-first type of guy (idiotic anonymous sources aside). But I want to see him put into practice on the field--shut these chirping jackasses up.

I am biting my tongue on predictions. I want to see it on the field.

I'm not saying the time RGIII missed had no impact, I'm saying that talk of him 'missing training camp' is overstated. He still had a lot of reps working on footwork and timing with receivers during OTAs and camp. Not playing at all in preseason I think was an issue - just to take a couple of hits and build confidence in himself physically.

Also while RGIII certainly was inconsistent last year and missed some throws he would have made in his rookie year he also had games when he was very good. Overall his numbers last year are very similar to Lucks who everyone feels had a good year. Numbers don't tell the full story of course but RGIII being rusty and lacking some confidence was only a part of the problem on offense last year IMO.

The 2 words that I would use to describe Griffin last year are "Uncomfortable" and "Inconsistent."

He definitely showed flashes here and there, and had some better games, and even some great throws and drives.

But he was wildly inconsistent.  And never seemed comfortable.

I personally think that this was completely due to not having "real" football work until 2 weeks before the first game.  Yeah, he threw against air in the Mini-Camps.  But he really didn't participate in any team drills until after training camp was over.  Shanahan waited until they got their scout team together before he gave Griffin any full team reps. 

So Griffin was trying to become a pocket passer, without the threat of him running to help hold defenses, without a lot of work.  And with only 2 real weeks of practice.  

Hindsight being 20/20, they should have sat Griffin for at least the first 5 weeks, and maybe more.  Until he was fully recovered, his own explosive self, and had all the reps. 

I have said over and over, the 'Skins could have overcome either the cap penalty or Griffin's injury.  But not both. 

....I have said over and over, the 'Skins could have overcome either the cap penalty or Griffin's injury.  But not both. 

Are you using the cap penalty as a catch-all for poor (league worst/historically bad) special teams and poor defense?

Even if you can right off the special teams and defense to 'cap penalty' (i don't btw) but even if you could...

How do you overcome the game preparation/coordination: penalties, delay of game, lack of hurry-up, offsides and overall lack of discipline?

How do you account for the gameplan and playcalling? The lack of partnership/relationship with the QB? The Mike Shanahan meltdown?

You have said before that you don't intend it but your post seem to lay blame for the entire season at the feet or knee of Griffin.

Great news.

For anyone who's pessimistic about it, the guy worked with Griffin before the draft, would have no real reason to lie (and if he did, and Griffin looks terrible, then it could have a negative effect on his services).  We're not talking about him making Griffin into something he's never been, we're just talking about him getting Griffin back to where he was during his first year.  

Can you imagine if he's back to his rookie year, but with Garcon, Jackson, Roberts, Morris, and Reed?!  That's awesome. 

Hopefully we can keep him safe with an improved OL (draft picks).

You have said before that you don't intend it but your post seem to lay blame for the entire season at the feet or knee of Griffin.

Look, the person who was in charge of the plane was Mike Shanahan.  And he took it for a nose-dive in spectacular fashion and tried to kill everybody on board on the way down.  The coaching that took place last year was a disgrace to the organization.  The ST coaching was probably the worst in the history of the NFL.  He deserved to be fired, so did Kyle, and the rest of the Shanahan guys. 

I do think, however,  that the salary cap penalty had a HUGE effect on ST, in particular, where the team just didn't have good enough athletes.  It had some effect on defense, though less so. I'll concede that it's possible that even with more talent, the coaching might have been soooooo terrible, the result might have been the same.  But essentially the same coaching staff (minus ST coach) returned from 2012 when they won 10 games.  A lot of that was due to the defense finally getting turnovers, but I think that if you can blame the coaches for 2013, you can credit them for 2012.  

I just think that without the cap penalty, they would have had more talent to play with, and the results would probably have been a bit better. Maybe they wouldn't have had larry, mo and curly all trying to play safety, and a better backup plan for London, who was getting old.  Maybe the defense would have not been historically bad? Dunno. 

If Griffin hadn't gotten hurt, I think that his athleticism covered up a ton of sins on the coaching staff and personnel.  

If either of those two things wouldn't have happened, I don't think the 'Skins finish 3-13.  

I'm not absolving either Shanahan or Haslett or whoever the ST coach was of blame.  But I also believe in "confluence of events" and the "snowball effect" and I think both were in play there.  Injury, cap penalty, lack of trust, bad coaching, bad execution (by a lot of guys not named Griffin), it all came together in a perfect storm. 

The problems in the offense were far, far more then just Griffin missing some throws. And I say "some" throws on purpose because lets not have revisionist history. Griffin didn't "fail to get the ball where it supposed to be" anywhere near enough of the time to be "thee" problem.

I didn't say Griffin was the only problem with the offense. This thread is about Griffin's footwork...so I comment on his footwork.

He has a very strong arm, so even without good footwork, and without the correct timing, he can still get the ball into a receiver's hands.

BTW - One thing that inhibited the forward hitch-step(s) needed for proper timing, is the fact that the interior O-Line was often moved backwards.

BTW - One thing that inhibited the forward hitch-step(s) needed for proper timing, is the fact that the interior O-Line was often moved backwards.

Hitch steps are only used for timing on specific play calls or when going through progressions. You make a good point though about inside pressure - its tough to step into throws when your centre and RG are in your lap.

Are you using the cap penalty as a catch-all for poor (league worst/historically bad) special teams and poor defense?

Even if you can right off the special teams and defense to 'cap penalty' (i don't btw) but even if you could...

How do you overcome the game preparation/coordination: penalties, delay of game, lack of hurry-up, offsides and overall lack of discipline?

How do you account for the gameplan and playcalling? The lack of partnership/relationship with the QB? The Mike Shanahan meltdown?

You can easily make a case for the cap penalty affecting the special teams and poor defense. With the cap penalty you cant build the depth you need for quality special teams as well as the defense.

Everything else you mentioned just points to the coaching.

I paid a visit to Redskins Park this week including a tour of the weight room. On the walls they had  posted for the first three weeks leaders in various strength and conditioning categories. It was good to see RG III's name on top, or near the top, of quite a few categories. :)

I paid a visit to Redskins Park this week including a tour of the weight room. On the walls they had  posted for the first three weeks leaders in various strength and conditioning categories. It was good to see RG III's name on top, or near the top, of quite a few categories. :)

Do you remember any of the categories where he was on top?

My recollection is fuzzy ... but 150yd was one for 'medium skill' category followed by Paul and Reed, he was second to Aldrick Robinson in 300 yd (where all skill were grouped together), second to Reed in another that I think was listed as 10yd.  

Neld was on top in the sled for OL/DL followed by Trent.

Larry Michael commented how RG III's dedication and focus was total, and how high his motivation was after winning just 3 games last season.

Did you see LeRibeus on any of the lists?  Was it high or low on the list?  I, like many on the board are wondering about his conditioning levels.

The lists were relatively short, so only the winners were listed. I didn't see LeRibeus' name

T Williams, J Jenkins, Worthington, Compton appeared on most of the lists. Neld, Hatcher, Chester, Polumbus, Cofield, T Stevens, on at least one

Archived