Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Cutting the Cable cord

praise_gibbs

Just now, NoCalMike said:

Yep, the cost of the internet to even get access to the streaming in the services is on the rise as well, especially for families where 3-4+ will be streaming at the same time.  Not to mention ISPs also becoming owners of the content itself too and wanting the right to throttle the speed of competing services.  it is going to get worse.

I have Xfinity and it costs me $104 a month for 40MB up and 1gb down.  No specials.  That feels reasonable.  

• 2 months later...

Alright, so PSVue is stopping streaming services on January 30th which means I've got to figure out an alternative.  And it's probably a good thing because I've been thinking about switching for awhile, just too lazy to do it so this is forcing my hand.  Hulu, YouTube TV, Sling, there's ****ing AT&T...I mean, I dunno what to get.

What do you guys like lately?

• 3 months later...

I tried so hard to get away from my ways, but Cox finally broke me. 

Talking bout to get out my TV service agreement I had to mail them back the cable box and wait for a new one before I could get cable again with less channels. 

If that's your way out of scaring me out of lowering my bill you bout to see a whole lotta encrypted internet traffic instead.

It just doesn't make sense with all my teams at home and only wanting the science channel anyway, they acting like we need them because we told to stay at home, no I don't.

• 7 months later...

So...FIOS in RVA has dropped the local NBC affiliate - WWBT NBC 12 - from their lineup effective today. They will 'continue to negotiate with Gray Communications' but there's a possibility it won't be available for the Skins game Sunday night. Guess I'll be using rabbit ears to catch the game Sunday.🤷‍♂️

• Sad 2

I have been watching all the games on 6stream. If you have a good ad blocker it will be seamless. But even if you don't, just keep going back to the main page and it will work. Just requires a few extra clicks. Honestly, I am sure that's how they get paid so I have no problem letting the ads pop up. 

And now I connect the computer to the TV and use it as a monitor (TV is difficult to navigate the internet with). HDMI and we are good to go! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’ve tried att, slingtv, and youtube tv.  My favorite was sling Blue withe the dvr, 30 a month.  My wife however HAS to have OWN so I’m using YouTube Tv now.  They all work pretty much the same. Just interface and minor channel differences.  I loved the sling interface.  That’s why it was my favorite. 

I'm a Youtube TV guy. It is amazing though how much of these channels I don't watch. You can see why people don't get cable. I get like 200 stations and only watch ESPN, NBCSW, and the major 4 (cbs / nbc / fox / abc sometimes)

I will say though that YTTV is really helpful for Red Zone which is only on YTTV (as well as NFL Network). Once Red Zone ends after week 17 I can just unsubscribe from the package too (it's an extra 10 dollars a month()

Edited by ixcuincle

Has anyone else tried Pluto TV? It's free. It has ads but so what. There is both regular programming and on demand. There are news stations but not network. You can always use an antenna for the network stations. I just got so tired of paying for TV and Internet. I do have Netflix but it's the only thing i pay for and it's a whole $13.95/mo. 

29 minutes ago, Larry said:

Love the idea of getting rid of cable. But where I am, cable is pretty much the only Internet. 

Yep. Major reason I still have YTTV other than sports is it can actually pick up ABC / CBS / FOX / NBC. Although in my new house I can pick up 3 of the 4 (can't get CBS)

1 hour ago, goskins10 said:

Has anyone else tried Pluto TV? It's free. It has ads but so what. There is both regular programming and on demand. There are news stations but not network. You can always use an antenna for the network stations. I just got so tired of paying for TV and Internet. I do have Netflix but it's the only thing i pay for and it's a whole $13.95/mo. 

Yes, I cut the cord a few years back and I quickly realized I don't watch ANY TV shows live at all, except occasionally sports on one of the networks or if I'm in the kitchen for a few minutes and want something on. I use an antenna for the former and PlutoTV is GREAT for the latter... It's a total replacement for the times you want to just flip through the channels, and it's free. We save a fortune by not having a TV package at all... We use Hulu's ad tier for a few of the network shows and some older shows we're working through. Free services like IMDB (which is on Amazon video but you don't need prime), Tubi, etc. work great too.

We pay 1.99 per month for Hulu with the Black Friday Special, currently 6.99 for Disney Plus, and I get Sling International Sports for 60 a year since I accidentally became a Barcelona fan.

We don't miss "Cable TV" at all and we're saving a fortune. Antenna signals these days have a fantastic picture, and if antenna doesn't work you can often get Locast for $5 a month which has all the local networks (it's technically free, but $5 is the minimum to avoid a regular nag screen requesting donations since it's a non-profit).

55 minutes ago, Larry said:

Love the idea of getting rid of cable. But where I am, cable is pretty much the only Internet. 

You can usually get internet only. I do that with FIOS.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ixcuincle said:

I'm a Youtube TV guy. It is amazing though how much of these channels I don't watch. You can see why people don't get cable. I get like 200 stations and only watch ESPN, NBCSW, and the major 4 (cbs / nbc / fox / abc sometimes)

I will say though that YTTV is really helpful for Red Zone which is only on YTTV (as well as NFL Network). Once Red Zone ends after week 17 I can just unsubscribe from the package too (it's an extra 10 dollars a month()

I had YouTube TV for years until I moved, it was my favorite, non cable way to watch tv. It was originally $35 a month, but then they bumped it up to $50. I was still ok with that, it was still the best option by far and they did add more channels (that I never watched). I mainly only used it for sports and elections, but I thought it was the best out of all of the options that I tried. I did notice a huge delay when watching games in the Game Day thread, however.

1 hour ago, GoDeep81 said:

My only issue cutting the cord was the data cap Xfinity had on the internet. If you have a provider with unlimited data, should be pretty easy to transition. 

I have Xfinity and starting this year it looks like the cap will be 1.2.  Unlimited is 30 more per month. Going over costs $10 per 50gb block max of $100 per month. 

I use it freely with no thought to amount used.  This is my usage.  I’m better off paying the $10 occasionally when I go over. 

B09D71CE-2537-4903-BF97-7F75ABBBAE77.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, HOF44 said:

I have Xfinity and starting this year it looks like the cap will be 1.2.  Unlimited is 30 more per month. Going over costs $10 per 50gb block max of $100 per month. 

I use it freely with no thought to amount used.  This is my usage.  I’m better off paying the $10 occasionally when I go over. 

B09D71CE-2537-4903-BF97-7F75ABBBAE77.jpeg

Thanks for posting this. It made me look and I better understand my bill now. Kind of embarrassing I didn't before. Turns out I don't use nearly what you do. Tops was 500 GB. I am on the limited like you - the exact number is 1229GB. And it looks like they give you one free month to go over - or at least that's what they show for me. 

I am using my Roku a bit more for things like Netflix, Pluto TV, and Amazon, but it's still not going to be above 600 to 700GBs. My bigger cost is speed. I have 200 Mbps (well their "as fast as" which means sometimes but not always lol)". 

And I get a $10 discount for autopay. That's an easy $120/yr off the bill. 

Anyway, thanks again for posting. Was very helpful. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Simmsy said:

I had YouTube TV for years until I moved, it was my favorite, non cable way to watch tv. It was originally $35 a month, but then they bumped it up to $50. I was still ok with that, it was still the best option by far and they did add more channels (that I never watched). I mainly only used it for sports and elections, but I thought it was the best out of all of the options that I tried. I did notice a huge delay when watching games in the Game Day thread, however.

Yeah they really jacked the prices up as they added more networks (like the Scripps / Discovery networks, and Nickelodeon / Viacom) AKA HGTV / Food Network / Travel Channel etc

I wish it would go by tiers because again I don't watch most of these networks

• Like 1

7 hours ago, techboy said:

You can usually get internet only. I do that with FIOS.

Oh, I know that.  I'm on Internet only.  

But Internet only is $88/mo.  And Internet + TV is like $110.  

They know that they've got a monopoly on Internet, but have competition for TV.  

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Oh, I know that.  I'm on Internet only.  

But Internet only is $88/mo.  And Internet + TV is like $110.  

They know that they've got a monopoly on Internet, but have competition for TV.  

It's definitely rough for people who live in areas with one provider (or zero). We get a good deal because FIOS and Cox both offer high speed internet and they have to compete with each other.