Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Late Night Talk

88Comrade2000

Jay Leno finally gives up the Tonight Show on Thurs: 2/6.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/29/jay-leno-tonight-show-interview/4963581/

Jimmy Fallon takes over on 2/17 with the Tonight Show moving to New York City.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/19/nbc-jimmy-fallon-tonight-show/4650853/

Seth Meyers takes over Late Night on 2/24.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/tv/2014/01/19/seth-meyers-weekend-update-nbc-late-night/4651367/

I think Jay is done for good this time; though you may see him do some TV specials. 

I personally think the Tonight Show will be looking for a new host within 2 years; as I don't think Fallon has the gravitas to carry a show like that.

I do think Seth Meyers should do well at Late Night.

Arensio Hall maybe breathing some fresh air, his comeback hasn't been doing to well; so maybe he will get a second look.  Letterman should do well until he finally hangs it up.  Jimmy Kimmel should be happy also.

The next big shakeup should be, who takes Letterman's place when he eventually retires.

Also, Conan should be pleased also.  Maybe Conan goes after Leterman's spot once Dave retires.

I've gotta say I never watch those late night talk shows anymore and haven't for years.  There's rarely anything compelling to keep my attention to one of those shows, and if I do ever miss a good segment it always gets posted to YouTube or some such the next day.

Wow, I'm completely the opposite...Jimmy Fallon doesn't entertain me at all.  But really anything will be an upgrade over Leno and Letterman.  I've never been a Leno guy, loved Letterman when I was younger but he seems to be mailing it in at this point.  Conan should be in Leno's spot right now.

I am interested to see how Seth Meyers does in the Late night slot.

Wow, I'm completely the opposite...Jimmy Fallon doesn't entertain me at all.  But really anything will be an upgrade over Leno and Letterman.  I've never been a Leno guy, loved Letterman when I was younger but he seems to be mailing it in at this point.  Conan should be in Leno's spot right now.

I am interested to see how Seth Meyers does in the Late night slot.

I agree with this pretty much all the way except that Fallon has been growing on me lately.  The dude is just mega-talented and seems to get better with every episode.  His show feels youthful and fresh, where guys like Letterman (as you mention) seem a little tired and worn out.

if letterman retires, the job is Craig's.

It should be. He's funny but I think he's underrated but hopefully won't be overlooked. 

Fallon has grown on me and is the best of the late night hosts right now IMO. Never been a Leno fan, glad to see him go and Fallon should provide younger energy. He has the ability to beat all the others out.

if letterman retires, the job is Craig's.

I'm not so sure. He's hysterical, but he's pretty weird ,has that accent, and is 51. I can see CBS being a little concerned about handing over 11:30 to someone with that profile.

What amazes me is how much money is at stake (and how much people care) about so little tv turf. It made sense to want Johnny Carson's job because your choices at 11:30 were Johnny, Nightline, and M*A*S*H re-runs on CBS. Now, everyone can have a job.

Here are the "late night" hosts:

Fallon/Myers

Letterman/Ferguson

Kimmel

Conan

Stewart/Colbert

Chelsea Lately

Arsenio (this is still bizarre to me)

In all honesty, the most successful one out of all of them may be Chelsea Lately. She is painfully unfunny to me, but her show costs nothing to produce and puts up good ratings. She beats Conan regularly.

In all honesty, the most successful one out of all of them may be Chelsea Lately. She is painfully unfunny to me, but her show costs nothing to produce and puts up good ratings. She beats Conan regularly.

With me, too. My brain starts to hurt after 2 minutes of watching her show. Painful in a very painful kind of way.

Conan is bad now. Everyone is bad. Kimmel is the best right now and he's mediocre.

Everyone is watching Daily Show and Colbert Report anyway.

Agree 1000%. I watch Daily Show religiously, but gave up on the regular network late night drivel a long time ago. Stewart's show is brilliant, and Colbert is hilarious - "The Word" segment on Colbert has replaced Letterman's Top 10 list as the funniest recurring bit.

Leno's last show today, after which he gets replaced by an unfunny hack whose major "comedy" is poor covers of noted rock songs.  

As much crap as Leno gets, he was actually funny to some people

Fallon is terribly unfunny and he doesn't even appeal to the young kids either. Let me tell you, the young kids are watching the Colbert Report / Daily Show

I predict him to fail within 2 or 3 years. The Tonight Show used to be an institution but is largely replaced these days by the Comedy Central parody shows.

Does anyone watch Conan's show? I seriously think The Tonight Show debacle gave him PTSD or something. That show has no energy and can be painfully unfunny. I'm not sure what happened to him.

No. Conan gets below average ratings on TBS. After all the hubbub about #teamCoco, he eventually moved to a new cable network, where he failed to gather the same movement. The Conan defenders would have you believe that it's "all internet nowadays", and all the kids are cutting their cable anyway and watching everything online. However, it's difficult to assess online ratings and TV ratings business is still king in this country, and in that aspect, Conan is not doing that well. 

Does anyone watch Conan's show? I seriously think The Tonight Show debacle gave him PTSD or something. That show has no energy and can be painfully unfunny. I'm not sure what happened to him.

Leno virtually murdered Conan when he decided not to retire.

In reply to the thread in general, I have never been a Seth fan. Although I love both Kimmel and Fallon, I just never watch the late night talk shows anymore. The whole process has been done to death. 

Letterman and Conan did it best IMO, but neither has been able to keep me watching in the last 10 years.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the Leno watchers.  They're essentially the CBS demo, which means a huge amount of viewers who don't interact with social media at all.  Seriously, if you look at the amount of posts and tweets about "Community" or "Girls," you'd think they're one of the most popular shows on TV.  Then you compare their ratings to "NCIS: LA" reruns and see they get slaughtered consistently.

I remember a story Kimmel told about looking at his ratings after a night's show.  The early returns showed him neck-and-neck with Letterman, with Leno a distant third.  Then he went to bed and all the numbers from small towns in the middle of the country came in, and Leno dominated the night.  As usual.   

Archived