Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Late Night Talk

88Comrade2000

Colbert it is!

The CBS Television Network today announced that Stephen Colbert, the host, writer and executive producer of the Emmy and Peabody Award-winning “The Colbert Report,” will succeed David Letterman as the host of THE LATE SHOW, effective when Mr. Letterman retires from the broadcast. The five-year agreement between CBS and Colbert was announced by Leslie Moonves, President and CEO, CBS Corporation, and Nina Tassler, Chairman of CBS Entertainment.

Read more: http://www.uproxx.com/tv/2014/04/meet-your-new-late-show-host-stephen-colbert/#ixzz2yV8e5OPM
Follow us: UPROXX on Facebook

I think he'll do a great job. 

I find it kind of fascinating that you really never heard much of a vocal push for diversity here.  There hasn't been a woman hosting one of these shows since Joan Rivers, and no one who isn't white since Arsenio.  That seems very strange to me, in this day and age.

I think he'll do a great job.

I find it kind of fascinating that you really never heard much of a vocal push for diversity here. There hasn't been a woman hosting one of these shows since Joan Rivers, and no one who isn't white since Arsenio. That seems very strange to me, in this day and age.

Maybe it's just the sources I follow but damn near all I heard was a push for diversity. Especially when it came to a woman.

Maybe it's just the sources I follow but damn near all I heard was a push for diversity. Especially when it came to a woman.

huh.  interesting.

Out of curiosity, were they pushing anyone in particular?  It's hard to come up with many who seem like they have all the chops (including being enough of a household name) to jump straight into that 11:30 slot.  Tina Fey.  Chelsea Handler maybe.  It's a short list.  I could see someone like Sarah Silverman doing well, with time, but she'd probably be better off starting with a late late show and getting her stuff together first.

huh. interesting.

Out of curiosity, were they pushing anyone in particular? It's hard to come up with many who seem like they have all the chops (including being enough of a household name) to jump straight into that 11:30 slot. Tina Fey. Chelsea Handler maybe. It's a short list. I could see someone like Sarah Silverman doing well, with time, but she'd probably be better off starting with a late late show and getting her stuff together first.

I heard those three and anther big one was Ellen. Maybe the biggest

huh.  interesting.

Out of curiosity, were they pushing anyone in particular?  It's hard to come up with many who seem like they have all the chops (including being enough of a household name) to jump straight into that 11:30 slot.  Tina Fey.  Chelsea Handler maybe.  It's a short list.  I could see someone like Sarah Silverman doing well, with time, but she'd probably be better off starting with a late late show and getting her stuff together first.

Ellen was the only female that was seriously considered for the gig.  She would have been a good choice. 

Colbert is a great choice, but he will have to drop his current persona.

Which is why I'm not a fan of this move.

His wry parody of politicians was one of the most powerful commentaries I've seen in my lifetime, and I hate that we're going to lose that.

My fear is that many folks tuning in are going to want the perona, and they're gonna get something different and he'll suffer for it.

It's like if Daniel Whitney dropped his stand-up persona to take up a whole new character. I hate to think Stephen has been type-cast, but the Colbert character is so strong that it will be truly hard to see him as anything other than the farce of the Right.

Yeah, though we've watched "Steven Colbert" for several years now, we have no idea how the non-"Steven Colbert" Steven Colbert will do, if you know what I mean.  Frankly, the interview portion of The Colbert Report was always the weakest part of the program by a mile.

But he's a smart, funny guy, so he can probably pull this off.  And he'll probably be a better interviewer unchained from staying in character.

And I do agree with Asbury.  I'll miss the persona he created.

Which is why I'm not a fan of this move.

His wry parody of politicians was one of the most powerful commentaries I've seen in my lifetime, and I hate that we're going to lose that.

My fear is that many folks tuning in are going to want the perona, and they're gonna get something different and he'll suffer for it.

I think Colbert will be a late night success without the persona. I've seen interviews with him when he is himself and I can see that working in a traditional Late Night show. He was still smart and witty but seemed more approachable which is what is needed with guests on a daily basis.

Now if a guy like "Larry the Cable guy" dropped his persona it would be career suicide. He must get tired of that redneck act but the money makes up for it.

It will be interesting to see how Colbert performs. His interviews are either dull softball type if he is required to respect his guest, or abrasive and (sometimes) funny, but usually a disappointment.

He likes to perform musical bits with guests but don't think he has close to Fallon's talent.

Maybe with good writing and a sidekick, he can make it work. He's very, very sharp but will need to find the right balance.

But I really don't care for the standard Late Night bland format with largely uninteresting 'big name' movie star guests, and an audience who seem way too excited for the fare they are getting.  :lol:

Archived