Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Late Night Talk

88Comrade2000

****! I gotta get home to see that. Good heads up.

I used to dislike Fallon's pretty boy look-at-my-dimples approach to every skit he did on SNL early on. When Ferrell would make him crack up mid-sketch, there was something infectious about it. It'd make everyone laugh harder. The actors, the audience, the people watching from home. Yeah, he'd break character a tad too much sometimes, but he's great at EGGING people on. He'd, in a way, encourage Ferrel to crack him up.

Jimmy Fallon is cool with me, excited for the new era. Hope he has a long career.

I have to admit, I was impressed with Jimmy's first show.  He did a good job.   He's going to have to bring in alot more younger demographic into the show.  That is why he got the gig.   I don't see the older audience of Leno really staying up for Jimmy.

Jimmy is basically doing his old show, with minor changes for the earlier hour.

• 2 weeks later...

NBC is coming down like a hammer on celebs who want to get on Jimmy Fallon's show ... if they dare do a show on CBS or ABC ... they can forget about "The Tonight Show."

Sources connected to CBS, NBC and ABC tell TMZ ... the Pea**** network believes Jimmy Fallon's ratings success gives them extreme bargaining power.  They put the word out to celebs, agents and publicists ... if they want to be on Fallon they can't appear on ANY other network ... and not just shows that go head-to-head with Jimmy, but morning shows as well.

Not to mention the "history of rap" segments have been done before many times over (don't believe me? check out youtube, or the lineup of concerts at your next county fair)

I don't dis-like Fallon, he seems like a nice guy and has nostalgia for a lot of the same stuff I do.  However, I see him as your local town's best cover band.  You go out to see the show, spend some time rocking out to familiar material (as made famous by other people) but by the time the show is over, you realize that they're just a cover band, doing their best impersonation of someone else's material.

Sources connected to CBS, NBC and ABC tell TMZ ... the Pea**** network believes Jimmy Fallon's ratings success gives them extreme bargaining power.  They put the word out to celebs, agents and publicists ... if they want to be on Fallon they can't appear on ANY other network ... and not just shows that go head-to-head with Jimmy, but morning shows as well.

Old news really.   Didn't NBC do the same thing when Leno took over the first time?

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone else think Fallon is just terrible? I just don't see him as particularly talented or funny. He's just some guy on TV to me.

He's actually gotten way better.  I remember watching him when he first came on in 2008 and his monologues were painful.  They've definitely gotten better since then.  

His little celebrities games are hit or miss IMO.  Once a month or so, he comes up with something really funny.  Most of the time I kind of just sit through it and let it pass, and then once a week it's unwatchable.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/04/03/david-letterman-retiring/?icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl2|sec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D460991

Letterman announced he will not renew his contract next year; so he will be done after 2015. Wonder who CBS will tap to be his replacement.   Does Craig Fergusen move up an hour?  Or do they hire someone else.

I'm really sad about this.  I love Letterman and his F U style of comedy.  Craig can't fill that slot as other's mentioned, he's too damn weird.  Nothing wrong with that where he is, but too weird to move down a time slot.

I heard tonight that Ryan Seacrest is going to take Letterman's spot. If so, that would be a great hire.

Anyone heard this? I thought he was signed with AI for a few more years.

I saw that in 2015, Stewart, Colbert, Kimmel and Conan all have their contracts ending. Would CBS bring Conan on board? Not sure Stewart or Colbert would leave since they really like what they do it seems and Kimmel wouldn't gain a whole lot IMO going from ABC to CBS.

I heard tonight that Ryan Seacrest is going to take Letterman's spot. If so, that would be a great hire.

CBS would leap from one of the historically best, funniest, most FU-acerbic hosts to Hollywood's ultimate insider buddy?  Presumably to counter NBC's jump to Fallon, NYC's preeminent beta try-hard?  

I guess it might make some sense.  He'd get any interview he wanted.  But what about the rest of the show?  Does Seacrest have any experience at all with comedy?  

I presume Seacrest would pull off intelligible and sober interviews, and wouldn't insist on any "me-too" requirement to be both the host and the guest talent on his own show.  Seacrest probably is the opposite of Fallon in that regard.  But I don't see Seacrest being all that funny, unless I'm missing part of his professional history.

Kimmel, then, would have to fully take up Letterman's mantle as the guy who lives to do a show but doesn't particularly care to be anyone's best friend.  I can see that.   :)

Does anyone else think Fallon is just terrible? I just don't see him as particularly talented or funny. He's just some guy on TV to me.

Meh. He gets ratings. That's all they care about. I don't like him either, but I've got to shut my mouth because the ratings are sky-high and people love it. He's also made the show relevant with online viral videos. 

Hmmm, and I always thought you were a dude and/or under the age of 60. Who knew? My bad.

Archived