Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FB: RG3 Speaks Out

PigskinRedskin

People gonna talk about this because there is nothing more to talk about. Sad thing is that this is getting more coverage on the radio than our new head coach and who will be our possible defensive coordinator. Heck, its even getting more play than the playoff games this weekend. What's this mean? The media likes controversy, and they know that RG3 is a hot topic in this town. 

For those who are pissed that he speaks out, or does commercials, or exists outside of 16 games each year, I hope you hated him last year too.  

I hope, every time he jumped in the stands after a TD, you smashed your remote and threw a fit and posted on ES about how immature he was and how he should stop trying to get attention.

I hope during every interview you watched and said, "Ugh, you idiot, why can't you just talk more like Bill Belichick."

I hope you did the same thing while he was in college.  I hope it bugged the hell out of you that he wore crazy socks or ESPN did stories about him, and how he was the focus of Baylor football.  

I hope, if he ever does another commercial, especially during a winning season, you come on here and throw a temper tantrum and flip out about how selfish he is, or when he does charity work, how he's just trying to get attention.

I honestly hope you have done and will do all of that, because if you won't, YOU'RE A ******* HYPOCRITE.

NO ONE had a problem with Griffin last year, but now lots of you are throwing your BS opinion out there as if it has always been an issue.  Not one teammate came out and complained last season, even Moss talked about how he felt they were in it during every game because #10 could do anything.  We all felt it too, yet here are a bunch of whiny ******* complaining because the guy hasn't turned into some robot after we drafted him.

To them, I say, "You knew what we were getting, so I hope you were just as pissed off then, as you are now."  If not, again, you're a hypocrite.

Do you all not see the pattern? And thus the problem?

RG posts a response to a critical fan question. He is not confrontational, but clearly defensive and clearly wrote it because it bugged him. He said nothing wrong, rude, selfish, or innacurate. But he said it.

Media picks up on it. It gets twisted a bit.

RG goes to social media to comment about how it is being mis-reported.

And the cycle continues.

He had a presser this year.. He then went into the locker room and saw how th media was spinning his comments. He didn't like it. He went back out into the media room to clear the air on comments he made thirty minutes prior. The media eats it all up.

He is engaging in a vicious cycle. It's not about right or wrong or selfish or unselfish.

I still think RG3's comment, substantively, was spot on, but Kleese raises a very good point, one that I hope RG3 realizes and embraces.  It is impossible to stop the negative spinning and the twisting by anything short of winning.  No amount of intelligent posting, doctorate dissertation, and/or Nobel Laureate worthy writing will change people's opinion or perception on the internet or the media.  It's sad, I know.  So is my jump shot, but ****ing about it won't change that either.  

I believe it was the immortal words of Socrates, who said "Haters gonna hate".  (It might have been Plato.  I get my ancient Greek philosophers mixed up).  Engaging with fans on social media is good.  I wish more athletes would embrace it.  Having reasonable, polite discourse is good.  I wish more human beings would embrace it.  But it won't change the fact that there will be trolls, idiots, and Cowboys fans on the internet.  And surprise, some of them are in the media too.  And whether driven by idiocy, need to fill some portion of 24 hour news cycle, or need to fulfill their agenda driven story line, they will make mountains out of molehill, twist, hypothecate, and/or pontificate.  And when you tweet, post, or interview, you give them additional material.  Comes with the territory.  

Now you have two choices: (1) say things and understand that there will be a large contingent who will find every which way to twist what you're saying or doing, or (2) don't say anything at all, also known as "Belichicking".  But don't say things and be surprised or get mad that the twisting and the misinterpretation happens.  It's like the sun rising in the east and Richard Sherman being a douche, it's inevitable.  If you don't like it, then you can Belichik it, entirely up to you.  Just know this.  If you win, you'll be the greatest QB since ("insert name here").  If you lose, you can be the smartest, nicest, and the most perfect human being on the planet.  You'll still be a diva and a coach killer to the haters.

I'm just waiting for Sally to get the old word processor started up to put a slant on this comment.  Some of yall on here telling this grown man to STFU are comedy.  I could see if he came to the board and responded to one post in particular but he was just responding to all the bs questions and attention that he's been getting.  I'll take him the occasional tweet or FB post over this dude turning into Ryan Leaf any day.  

Do you all not see the pattern? And thus the problem?

RG posts a response to a critical fan question. He is not confrontational, but clearly defensive and clearly wrote it because it bugged him. He said nothing wrong, rude, selfish, or innacurate. But he said it.

Media picks up on it. It gets twisted a bit.

RG goes to social media to comment about how it is being mis-reported.

And the cycle continues.

He had a presser this year.. He then went into the locker room and saw how th media was spinning his comments. He didn't like it. He went back out into the media room to clear the air on comments he made thirty minutes prior. The media eats it all up.

He is engaging in a vicious cycle. It's not about right or wrong or selfish or unselfish.

The problem in that cycle isn't the person who's saying nothing wrong, rude, selfish, or inaccurate....

Are some of you.people serious?

"Stop using social media! Pay attention to football (even though the team is in vacation mode until after the super bowl) and study the playbook (which we don't have yet because there is a new coach who hasn't even picked his coordinators yet) !".

That sounds like a 60 year old telling his grand kids to stop listening to music and do their homework. If rgiii wants to respond through twitter so what? This whole idea that "twitter is bad because of how it could hurt your rep" is stupid. No one person has ever had their rep RUINED from it and its only the 24/7 sports media who thinks most of the player tweets are important.

It takes longer to post here than twitter and the "distractions" are bigger for us than them. Rgiii isn't watching ESPN and listening to 980.

Are some of you.people serious?

"Stop using social media! Pay attention to football (even though the team is in vacation mode until after the super bowl) and study the playbook (which we don't have yet because there is a new coach who hasn't even picked his coordinators yet) !".

That sounds like a 60 year old telling his grand kids to stop listening to music and do their homework. If rgiii wants to respond through twitter so what? This whole idea that "twitter is bad because of how it could hurt your rep" is stupid. No one person has ever had their rep RUINED from it and its only the 24/7 sports media who thinks most of the player tweets are important.

It takes longer to post here than twitter and the "distractions" are bigger for us than them. Rgiii isn't watching ESPN and listening to 980.

Many people have been fired from their jobs and their careers ended because of social media.  Including football players...including football players on our team...Jabar Gaffney.  Guess what he was doing when he had his meltdown?  Responding to a fan.   I have no problem with RG3 wants to promote stuff or talk with people he knows but responding to average joe's who are just trying to troll will only lead to negative things happening.

You people act like using social media is some distraction that could harm his on field performance. That's bogus. Players don't study 99% of their waking day and even if they only had an hour everyday to do whatever they wanted, a player could post this stuff in minutes. Not that big if a deal.

I think too many people equate having a social presence with not taking things seriously and that's ridiculous. And who cares if rgiii wants to clarify what he says? It takes hardly anytime at all to do that and it doesn't mean he's brooding at home about how other people feel about him.

If we respond to fellow posters comments about us, it doesn't mean we spend that much thought or time dealing with it.

Use common sense people.

Funny thing is if he ignored all the critics there would be articles im sure about how arrogant he is to not address the critisms put towards him. If i were attacked in the media about my game on the field and my person off the field your damn right i would respond in some manner. This whole thing is ridiculous we just need to win next year so soooooo bad.

The problem in that cycle isn't the person who's saying nothing wrong, rude, selfish, or inaccurate....

Then he needs to accept that this will be a constant story and he will continue to have to "clear the air" every other day. If he continues to post on social media, take bait on social media, and respond to team related and semi team related things on social media, then this stuff isn't going away.

If he is cool with that, then that's fine. But he shouldn't be surprised.

Many people have been fired from their jobs and their careers ended because of social media. Including football players...including football players on our team...Jabar Gaffney. Guess what he was doing when he had his meltdown? Responding to a fan. I have no problem with RG3 wants to promote stuff or talk with people he knows but responding to average joe's who are just trying to troll will only lead to negative things happening.

I disagree for a number of reasons. First of all, gaffney didn't lose a job because of twitter. He was an aging bust who only produced marginally right before he hit the age you put wrs out to pasture. Secondly the people whom lose "jobs" over twitter responses are either Joe schmoes or people about to lose their job anyway. Super famous people do not get hurt by saying stupid crap. Mel Gibson still has a career. Its dumb to act like rgiii could be less of a player by being on twitter. That and people are quick to forget twitter after a good play or two.

Then he needs to accept that this will be a constant story and he will continue to have to "clear the air" every other day. If he continues to post on social media, take bait on social media, and respond to team related and semi team related things on social media, then this stuff isn't going away.

I don't think he's surprised the media is doing this. I think he's surprised fans are. And believing what the media says. I don't think he cares much what ESPN says or reporters but when fans say it, he wants to clear the air.

I disagree for a number of reasons. First of all, gaffney didn't lose a job because of twitter. He was an aging bust who only produced marginally right before he hit the age you put wrs out to pasture. Secondly the people whom lose "jobs" over twitter responses are either Joe schmoes or people about to lose their job anyway. Super famous people do not get hurt by saying stupid crap. Mel Gibson still has a career. Its dumb to act like rgiii could be less of a player by being on twitter. That and people are quick to forget twitter after a good play or two.

Gaffney was our leading receiver in 2011.  Regardless you are moving the goal posts.  You said not one person has had their REP ruined.  I pointed out a football player on our own team who has.  Mel Gibson has ruined his rep too but that wasn't on social media.  Being on twitter is not the problem.  It's how you use it.  Go on Russel Wilson's twitter and see if any of his tweets have caused this much controversy.  They haven't because he doesn't choose to trolls. 

Yep. Been saying it for some time now. It doesn't:t matter if one thinks it's an issue or not....it is.

I'm beginning to wonder if he is mentally weak because of his inability to ignore media/public perception of him.

By the way. It's not just about Facebook for those of whom think that.

Gaffney was our leading receiver in 2011. Regardless you are moving the goal posts. You said not one person has had their REP ruined. I pointed out a football player on our own team who has. Mel Gibson has ruined his rep too but that wasn't on social media. Being on twitter is not the problem. It's how you use it. Go on Russel Wilson's twitter and see if any of his tweets have caused this much controversy. They haven't because he doesn't choose to trolls.

So you're ignoring the whole point about gaffney being OLD at a position where teams do not like players 30 or over to make it seem like twitter is the reason he lost his job? He lost it because you don't invest money in players with no future and over 30

Yep. Been saying it for some time now. It doesn't:t matter if one thinks it's an issue or not....it is.

I'm beginning to wonder if he is mentally weak because of his inability to ignore media/public perception of him.

By the way. It's not just about Facebook for those of whom think that.

The. What pray tell is it about? He never seemed mentally weak to me. Twitter responses and caring what fans think has nothing to do with mental weakness. Sounds like the same crap people said about lebron before he won rings and him caring about what fans thought of him and hating him

Why does it have to be either/or here all the time? I'm just going to list some fallacies that I'm seeing here repeated ad nauseum. I thought my post earlier may have served to dispel those false notions, but it seemed like it made it worse, lol.

1) Not everyone who would rather him not be on social media much is "old" or "not with the times". I'm definitely not old, although I feel old, lol. There are valid reasons to not like it and it's not simply because of a lack of technological savvy or a lack of understanding the youth.  

2) Not everyone who would rather him not be on it hates him for it or assumes the worst about him. He's 23 years old and isn't doing anything crazy, so I know I'm not making it that big of a deal. We simply want what's best for him, and I think it'd be better for him to not be on it for the various reasons I posted.  

3) There have been many here (including kleese and I), who had issues with his exposure via social media before the losing. So while hypocrisy may exist, I think it's actually much rarer than anyone would think. I remember a lot of members on this board talking about his over-exposure in general and saying things like "I guess we're not used to having a mega star" when talking about its negative aspects. 

4) Most who are against it are not against him having a personal life or enjoying himself. In fact, it is arguable that social media takes a lot away from your personal life and he certainly doesn't seem like he's enjoying a lot of the drivel he has to deal with there.   

5) Many haven't resorted to disrespecting or telling him to "shut up" when arguing why it'd be better for him to be off it, so let's not generalize like we all have or something. 

So can we discuss the issue without those falsehoods? Would be nice. I'd rather not be painted in a corner. :)     

Archived