Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FB: RG3 Speaks Out

PigskinRedskin

So you're ignoring the whole point about gaffney being OLD at a position where teams do not like players 30 or over to make it seem like twitter is the reason he lost his job? He lost it because you don't invest money in players with no future and over 30

So why wasn't Santana Moss cut?   He's older than Gaffney.  He had the best season of his career and led the team in receptions touchdowns and receiving yards....c'mon man.  You don't cut your leading receiver without a training camp competition just because of his age unless there are other issues like money, attitude etc.

Why does it have to be either/or here all the time? I'm just going to list some fallacies that I'm seeing here repeated ad nauseum. I thought my post earlier may have served to dispel those false notions, but it seemed like it made it worse, lol.

1) Not everyone who would rather him not be on social media much is "old" or "not with the times". I'm definitely not old, although I feel old, lol. There are valid reasons to not like it and it's not simply because of a lack of technological savvy or a lack of understanding the youth.

2) Not everyone who would rather him not be on it hates him for it or assumes the worst about him. He's 23 years old and isn't doing anything crazy, so I know I'm not making it that big of a deal. We simply want what's best for him, and I think it'd be better for him to not be on it for the various reasons I posted.

3) There have been many here (including kleese and I), who had issues with his exposure via social media before the losing. So while hypocrisy may exist, I think it's actually much rarer than anyone would think. I remember a lot of members on this board talking about his over-exposure in general and saying things like "I guess we're not used to having a mega star" when talking about its negative aspects.

4) Most who are against it are not against him having a personal life or enjoying himself. In fact, it is arguable that social media takes a lot away from your personal life and he certainly doesn't seem like he's enjoying a lot of the drivel he has to deal with there.

5) Many haven't resorted to disrespecting or telling him to "shut up" when arguing why it'd be better for him to be off it, so let's not generalize like we all have or something.

So can we discuss the issue without those falsehoods? Would be nice. I'd rather not be painted in a corner. :)

Where's the plea for the counter....where's the balanced acknowledgement that both sides may be overreacting & that there are just as many on either side who are unwilling or incapable of seeing that there is a perfectly comfortable reality in there somewhere?

On one side you're an apologist & can't possibly be objective because you're too busy gargling. On the other side you're a hater & have nothing good to say about the franchise, or its QB, & overly simplify all of our failings to 1 of 3 things: Dan Snyder, RGIII, or apologist homer fans.

Clearly both are perfectly rational positions to have.

It's ok...I'll wait to see which shoe drops first.

Non story.  get ready for a TON of these in the offseason.  Some people would be happy if Robert went into witness protection for these next few months.  Zero people will remember this when camp opens.  Let the dude live, it's not that serious.  Obviously he enjoys tweeting and social media now and then....as do the majority of pro athletes.

Where's the plea for the counter....where's the balanced acknowledgement that both sides may be overreacting & that there are just as many on either side who are unwilling or incapable of seeing that there is a perfectly comfortable reality in there somewhere?

Just posted this about a few hours ago, and I even mentioned it in the response I gave that you quoted here:

That's all I was saying, so it'd be nice if we stay away from the insults. That goes for both sides of this debate, I'm hearing to much "shut ups" and nonsense. I get that some here have posted ridiculous things about Robert or have spoken disrespectfully about him. And that is wrong and understandably deserves criticism.

And, for what it's worth, I totally agree with the rest of your post. That's what I was trying to get across, honestly. 

Missed where he argued with a fan. Recap please.

No argument. He answered a question in which he delved a little further into defending himself against constant media attacks then necessary but wasn't being rude to the OP. He simply got a annoyed with all the constant "diva" labeling and explained his side.

The OP actually responded saying thank you and stating that she got more respect for him from his answer.

All this debate within this thread is whether or not Robert should be allowed near a keyboard now. 

*shrugs*  -_-

From Keim's article, here's (most) of what the fan said:

A fan posted a long comment on Griffin’s verified Facebook page that read in part, “I supported you in 2012, then came the self glorification in 2013. I am in hopes that this does not continue to occur in 2014.” And: “Why not dress like the rest of the TEAM versus dressing to bring attention to yourself. I just don’t get it.”

Then, after Robert's response, the fan sent back a very positive message (which I believe was posted previously, and is also in the article).

I dunno, guys, I just don't see this as all that big a deal. Or really, that much of a distraction, especially since most of the players are supposed to be on vacation anyway.

What's most annoying through all this coverage of this stuff is the sports media (aka sports radio) saying RG3 shouldn't respond to fans. Grant, who I really respect, was actually going out of his way to say this. It kinda annoyed me because in the same breath he was saying that he can text Robert and Robert responds relatively fast. But does he not like for fans to have similar access? Its not like this was a shouting match with Robert and a fan, it was a fan who asked a question similar to the ones the media likes to point at Robert all the time. 

And why does the media act like they're dealing with a 12 year old. Robert is a grown man. He knows how to make his own bed, He doesn't need advice on "what looks good" or "how to win an argument". The common theme through most sports shows (with the exception of the Junkies where everybody except Lurch seemed to agree with Robert) was kinda like the arguing with your wife and you can't win that. But sometimes its not an argument. Sometimes its just a statement like "why do you always cook the tuna rare?" Maybe that's a small thing to you, but I'll be damned if I'm about to be overcooking the tuna in my house. Does that mean I'm going to start an argument? No, But I'll answer the question

Funny how people get on here and say " Griffin just shut up already!!" ..  As if he has said something in the media before this? The guy has never made a comment in the media before..so to act like all he does is run his mouth is ludicrous!!  I'm glad he finally spoke his mind!  What happened after Peyton Manning finally spoke his mind when he called out his " idiot kicker"  ??  He won a Super Bowl!!

IJS

Every neutral message board that I've been to, with plenty of fans of other teams, all of them are saying the same things that me and a few other posters on here are saying.  "RG3 just needs to shut the hell up."  He makes no effort to stay out of, or even to remotely avoid the limelight.  

Why is it that 90% of people are saying one thing, but many people on this board continue to defend his every action?

The fact is, RG3 just wrote an essay defending himself on Facebook.  Is he 13 years old?  Why is he so insecure that he feels the need to do this?  

Regardless of what anyone says, it is still unprofessional.

Every neutral message board that I've been to, with plenty of fans of other teams, ALL of them are saying the same things that me and a few other posters on here are saying.  "RG3 just needs to shut the hell up."  He makes no effort to stay out of, or even to remotely avoid the limelight.  

Why is it that 90% of people are saying one thing, but many people on this board continue to defend his every action?

The fact is, RG3 just wrote an essay defending himself on FACEBOOK.  Is he 13 years old?  Why is he so insecure that he feels the need to do this?

There is no such thing as a neutral message board. Next, you'll try to claim your own neutrality. America loves to hate.

There is no such thing as a neutral message board. Next, you'll try to claim your own neutrality. America loves to hate.

Really?  A general fitness message board wouldn't be neutral for discussion Redskins football?  It would be far more neutral than discussion it here.

**For all those people that are supporting this....answer one question.

Is there any other player in the history of the NFL that has done this before?  Even one?

Every neutral message board that I've been to, with plenty of fans of other teams, ALL of them are saying the same things that me and a few other posters on here are saying.  "RG3 just needs to shut the hell up."  He makes no effort to stay out of, or even to remotely avoid the limelight.  

The fact is, RG3 just wrote an essay defending himself on FACEBOOK.  Is he 13 years old?  Why is he so insecure that he feels the need to do this?  

The fact is, you just wrote a post defending yourself on EXTREMESKINS.  Are you 13 years old? Why are you so insecure you feel you need to do this? 

Funny that you, or the hundreds of people you refer to on these message boards seem to be qualified enough to give RG3 advice on how to live his life? Let me ask, did you get a degree in life coaching or something? And did RG3 secretly hire you or something? Cause otherwise I don't think it should be any of your business if he chooses to go to facebook or not. If you're a fan then you should be concerned with what he does on the football field, not gossiping about what he does or doesn't do on facebook. Funny you call him 13 but fail to see the teenage actions of yourself? Why does this concern you so much, I mean other than your undying hatred for everything RG3? Do you wish you got more attention on facebook? Not getting enough likes? Did you post a status and nobody commented? 

The fact is, you just wrote a post defending yourself on EXTREMESKINS.  Are you 13 years old? Why are you so insecure you feel you need to do this? 

Defending myself?  No, just commenting.  I am a fan.  I don't play for the organization. I don't get paid millions by the organization. 

How would it look if the CEO of Apple made a Facebook post defending himself as a CEO?  Not defending the company, but defending himself? It would do no good for the company.  It would be seen as selfish.  

Answer one question.  What positive can come out of this? Name  one positive thing that can come out of RG3 writing an essay defending himself on Facebook.  I dare you. 

Its childish.  Sorry if I don't want the face of my organization behaving childishly.  I'd rather the face of my organization behave professionally.  Even Santana Moss called him out for not taking the blame like a man.

I understand he's only 24.  I'm 24.  I guarantee the partner at my firm wouldn't be happy with me displaying the childish behavior that RG3 displays on a consistent basis.  

Defending myself?  No, just commenting.  I am a fan.  I don't play for the organization. I don't get paid millions by the organization. 

How would it look if the CEO of Apple made a Facebook post defending himself as a CEO?  Not defending the company, but defending himself? It would do no good for the company.  It would be seen as selfish.  

Answer one question.  What positive can come out of this? Name  one positive thing that can come out of RG3 writing an essay defending himself on Facebook.  I dare you. 

So, you're comparing a guy that's in his early 20's who has been a professional for 2 years, to a 60 year old CEO who's been in the business for decades and made all his dumb *** mistakes when there was no such thing as social media?  That sounds fair.

Here's your answer, the fan's opinion changed.  Griffin answered her post, and it made, "a difference".  Those are her words.

RG3 STFU. At this point I'm ready to keep Rex for next year.

Then follow Rex to his next team.

DId you actually read my response?  Wait,....maybe you just read too much into it?  Yeah,...that's it.  Or I hope that's it.

I never said he couldn't do anything, I simply said that I think he should get off Facebook and Twitter.  Quit explaining yourself.  It's pointless and nothing good can come from it.  I never said he didn't work hard, or didn't study, wasn't a good QB, etc.  I have no idea what you're talking about with regard to the coaching staff and other stuff,....I mean,...haha,......wat??

I'm a huge RG3 supporter and I hope he becomes and elite QB.  I don't get the need to explain himself about anything,....especially on FB and Twitter -- enough already.  There's some saying,....what is it?  "Silence is golden",...yeah.  Not sure who came up with that one but it's pretty good, and very applicable to his situation. 

I appreciate the back handed/indirect "you're a dummy" comment at the end.  Pretty clever and quite passive aggressive.  Much love,.................bro.

First of all, I appreciate your response.  Much love back at you because dialog is what it's about. 

Your initial response to the OP was harsh and assumptive so forgive me if I lumped you in with most over critical commentators.

Second, like I said, my comments may have been triggered by your post, but wasn't necessary directed at you.  

To your comment:

Robert has a right to live his life and respond to folks on Facebook or Twitter as he pleases (like he said,... he doesn't do it often). We shouldn't be in the habit of telling grown men what they should or shouldn't  do (even on a forum)  when said person is overtly responsible with what they do and say on and off the field.  Robert hasn't given any of us causes to think that he does not allocated his time effectively towards his trade. 

I'm glad he responded to someones question on FB.  Should he not have a voice?

Should he just take all of the criticisms while others construct the narrative?   I would love to have a voice in his situation and I'm sure that you would as well.

Lastly  (and I would like to make my last point clear): I think we would all agree and understand that his play on the field is part of his voice and Robert understands this as well. 

Collectively, lets us shut down the noise regarding RG3 and please speak to what needs to be addressed on this team.  DL, OL and SP.   Robert is the absolute lease of my concerns. 

More power to Jay G (our new HC) ,Robert G (our starting QB) and Dan Snyder (our Owner) for buying out Shanny and give up the resources to put a better product on the field. 

HTTR! 

I stand on my soap box and would gladly get back up there. 

Archived