Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FB: RG3 Speaks Out

PigskinRedskin

Hey Everyone,

I posted in another thread discussing how RGIII has been staying out the limelight for the most part for quite awhile now to let things settle and such but just other day he spoke out and spoke his mind via his Facebook page.

Other thread: http://es.redskins.com/topic/376240-rg3-staying-out-of-the-limelight/

And fellow member, Dan T. mentioned it would be nice to start a thread and possibly get a discussion going on what Robert said and maybe quiet down some of the negativity that's been swirling about our QB.

Robert Griffin III - I usually don't do this because everyone will have an opinion on what you do or don't do. But to answer your question.

I wear a sleeve because....well the same reason Pierre Garcon wears a fang mouthpiece-S. Moss wears a hand warmer when it's 70 degrees-Will Montgomery wears elbow pads-Alfred Morris wears shin guards-London Fletcher doesn't wear sleeves in below freezing weather-Adam Carriker does bicep curls and tricep extensions before a game-Chris Baker dances before every game in the locker room-Logan Paulsen does 2 handed spikes when he celebrates touchdowns-Chris Chester does ninja spins to block people-Some guys wear sleeves & some don't-Some guys wear wristbands & some don't-Etc Etc
You see WE do these things because they make us comfortable. Not to be different. Been wearing a sleeve and glove for 10 years. 
You see WE are a team.
You think I want it to be national news that I visit a beach? Or shop at Walmart? Or wore red shoes instead if green yesterday? Well I don't. I'm "striving" for greatness just like my fellow teammates do. The "attention" that comes with being a QB in the league is what you are referring to. All the press conferences and talking to the media? Mandated by the league to have a press conference every week during the season and during team activities during the off-season. Oh wait, you must be talking about the Commercials? Right? Oh ok so what was the deal with those in 2012? WE won the division. So in 2013 when WE get knocked down, and finish last it's because of the commercials? If that is your reasoning I have nothing more to say. WE will get back up. That is what matters. I hope I answered your question well enough.
And that you keep supporting the team.
HTTR!!!

https://www.facebook.com/RG3

I'm not 100% sure what the question was but reading his answer it seems someone asked why he wears a sleeve and glove. Let's just say his answer goes way more in-depth then a simple "because I do".

This response is perfect and sweet. It's direct to the point and makes it sure people know the NFL is entertainment and that's what they are trying to get out of him, and himself as well. He's mandated to speak to reporters and as for commercials, it wasn't a problem in 2012, so why is it an year AFTER those aired?

If you were 22 and on top of the world and were offered to do a 60 second commercials for a few million dollars and it harms NO ONE, how do you say no?

I like how he included everyone, and with all the reports from Garcon and Hall saying the locker room loves Robert and all these crap coming out from the media is false, it's a breath of fresh air going into next season.

We have a new coach who WANTS and NEEDS to make a name for himself. He has an older brother whose more noticeable then him as of right now and if he flops in DC, it will spread like wild fire. You don't think he knows that? 

And now Robert has seen how bad it can get from simply not saying Hi, or saying a little to much. I think we all need to chill after this disastrous season, strap on our jerseys and gear and smile cause we do have a brighter future now.  

I'm surprised he hasnt spoken out earlier, or with more ferocity given that the DC media is constantly poking him for no legitimate reason.

If it was me, the NFL would be donating a significantly larger amount to charity at the end of the year lol.

Thanks OP! That was a great find!  RG always says WE regardless if the Skins win or lose. People always try to make it about him and he deflects all of it! As a former player and coach, I want my QB saying WE not I...  Because if he says stuff like I threw a bad interception then he also has to say things like "I threw a perfect TD! " Neither of these plays did he do by himself..

It's about time he spoke out about his feelings. I will continue to support RGIII even when the media and fans criticize and scrutinize his every move. I truly hope the entire team bounces back in 2014. I know we'll have to weather the storm (a new coach, a new scheme, etc.), but it's a TEAM effort, not a QB effort. HTTR

Yeah the commercial criticism crap never ceases to annoy me. Nobody will complain when Manning is on Papa Johns commercials after he chokes out of these playoffs. It's not like the dude was leaving practice to film 5 dollar footlong ads. He does it in his spare time. He could be worse than Mark Sanchez and it still doesn't matter how many commercials he's on. Give him a friggin Hadeed commercial for all I care

Cue a Jenkins/ Wise piece on how he has no self control/ dignity/ embarrassment to the Redskins with his mouth et all.

I can't wait for competent coaching and play calling to fully develop him and let his once in a generation talents flurrish as opposed to how he's had his previous Coaches putting every possible obstacle in his way, stunting that development and holding back that God given World class ability.

Maybe then the morons in the media and this fan base, of which there's MANY when it comes to 10; will finally shut the Hell back up.

WE believe in you Robert like WE always have.

Those of us that know, KNOW!

Hail.

The media will NEVER stop its criticizing and nitpicking no matter what Robert says or does, you just have to accept that as as an annoying fact of life, like mosquitoes or lawyers.

What you can do is realize that what you think or feel is in your own hands. You don't have to feed the trolls, don't have to click the links or rant n rave at every ignorant piece posted. You and you and you- WE can choose to rise above, to see what we know to be true, to see that this kid is something special, far more than just a football player. He is still that same kid we welcomed to our extended family last year, maybe now a little more cynical and bruised, but still the same once in a lifetime talent with charm and character and a helluva sense of humor that will define this team for a decade.

This season is done and gone, there's no changing how it went but the collective consciousness of the fanbase can either embrace the future or wallow in the venom of the past.

This kid makes me proud to wear the B&G, this is who I want to represent the franchise

Well, I'm obviously in the minority here, but I don't like this at all. Some kid asks him why he wears a sleeve and his response is to blow up about all the crap people have been writing about him? I'm sorry, you said it yourself, you're an NFL QB who has to deal with the **** storm that is being an NFL QB. 

Do I think RG3 has faced HELL from the media and fans the past year? Yes. I wouldn't trade places with him in a heartbeat. But you also can't sit here and ***** at me about how hard it is being an NFL QB. 

Imagine Tom Brady telling us "My life is awful. The paparazzi follows my super model wife and I everywhere! We can't even sit down to dinner without people talking about which hundred dollar a plate restaurant we've chosen! Life is just so hard!" Boo hoo

Eventually, he's just going to have to learn to tune it all out and be a diplomat, like most of the rest of the leagues QBs. Why do you wear a sleeve? Because I feel comfortable in it.  Next Question.

He's a bright kid with a bright future. And WE Redskins fans know it. But perception is a big deal, and you have to market yourself to fans of the other 31 teams to keep the media off of your back.

Dear Robert,

Some "fans" are (were?) fans of you because of the success you had last year and the limelight that came along with that success. They are the fair-weather fans who will drift from one star to the next because it rescues them from their low self-esteem.

Genuine Redskin Fans loved you from the moment your were drafted by our beloved team and will support you through the ups and downs of the early years of your career. We will still be here, supporting you and all the other Redskin players, when we win and all the fair-weather "fans" return. They will dust off their RGIII jerseys and wear them again like us except our jerseys will be worn out showing the wear from the journey of being a life-long, die-hard Redskin Fan.

HTTR

Yeah the commercial criticism crap never ceases to annoy me. Nobody will complain when Manning is on Papa Johns commercials after he chokes out of these playoffs. It's not like the dude was leaving practice to film 5 dollar footlong ads. He does it in his spare time. He could be worse than Mark Sanchez and it still doesn't matter how many commercials he's on. Give him a friggin Hadeed commercial for all I care

Griffin is no Manning. Manning takes his SB ring off before making commercials.

Srsly,...just get off ****ing Facebook, Twitter, etc.  The constant need for attention and then having to explain yourself for things like the sleeve you wear,.....who ****ing cares why he wears it.  I don't. 

Just be the best you can be and win more games then you lose. 

I can't believe there's a thread about this,.....F me,...

I just don;t understand how anyone can read what he said and come up with something wrong about it, but obviously someone did. I said it on another thread and I will say it, some people are just not happy unless they are complaining about something.

RGIII is a very good kid who is very bright and works hard but was thrust in a microscope of a meat grinder, smack dab in between the hate/hate relationship between the Wash. media and Dan Snyder. He had great success the 1st year raising hopes beyond reason and then got injured. Somehow that's all his fault.

The message above says to me, everyone has quirks, things particular to them. And that in the clubhouse it's just part of being an individual. But at the end of the day they all want the same thing and are singular in goal, they just want to win!! How is that a problem? Why is it problem articulating that??

Isn't that what we all want?? Just to win!!     Give the kid a chance. Try not being so overly critical just for being critical sake!!    Hail!!

That was a mature and well reasoned response. He didn't lash out, call names, or overreact emotionally. His response was perfect.

But I'm with Hog Nose on this..,,the fact that he responds at all sort of keeps the snowball going. There are people out there that will bait him and hound him on social media forever--even more so if they think he might respond directly. A mature and well thought out reply like that won't make the trolls go away--it will simply fan the flames and get them excited. Obviously RG3 reads what the media and fans say about him. And obviously it bugs him enough where he feels the need to respond. And that feeds the trolls and keeps the cycle moving.

If I was his friend/advisor I'd also tell him to shut it down or use it only to promote whatever charities, etc he is involved with while blocking all users from being able to contact/post directly to him.

That's my mother ****ing quarterback!

Ha! That was my EXACT reaction.

At the same time, somehow I doubt the SI and GQ interviews were league-mandated as well. He could probably ease up on stuff like that this offseason. I imagine with a coach he actually trusts and that won't throw him under the bus in the media (at least without talking to him first about it) and of course winning, there will be less need for him to get 'his side' of the story out. So I have less problems with Facebook and Twitter.

Archived