Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FB: RG3 Speaks Out

PigskinRedskin

Funny thing is if he ignored all the critics there would be articles im sure about how arrogant he is to not address the critisms put towards him. If i were attacked in the media about my game on the field and my person off the field your damn right i would respond in some manner. This whole thing is ridiculous we just need to win next year so soooooo bad.

Damned if you do...damned if you don't.

It amazes how many clueless jackwagons there are in this thread.

Those of us that are saying that III would be better served not publicizing his every thought are NOT saying what he is doing is inappropriate. You with me so far?

We are saying because he is who is and his stature is what is he would be better off limiting his exposure because it gets blown out of proportion by the media and therein lies the problem. He should know this by now because it happened during last offseason and during the season.

You say it's not an issue, but yet the media is running with it and he is on the defensive. He's a sensitive kid obviously so why continue to feed the sharks?

In short? There are repercussions to be had when he doesn't choose his words wisely. Is it right? Not really. Is it reality? Just turn on the radio, the TV, read the web, etc. and you tell me.

Tweeting and facebooking wasn't a problem for Rob in 2012. In fact some mediots loved the fact that the NFL ROY was so down to earth and replied to his fans on social media.

http://www.businessinsider.com/robert-griffin-iii-helped-an-8th-grader-with-down-syndrome-get-on-sportscenter-2013-1

However now the team is mired in controversy with the Mike Shan leaks and name change BS. The Skins are the NY Jets from 2010-2012 and just about everything that's said is spun into an agenda.

It also doesn't help that the Skins PR department is a complete train wreck. How in the hell Tony Wylie got his job I'll never know.

The dynamic the Redskins media and fanbase have created here is really dumb. The media and fans are saying Griffin is not allowed to be seen or heard until they see fit. Who the hell forms a mob and shelters in their franchise QB?! Griffin isn't disrespectful or vulgar when he speaks. He's honest and open. His commercials aren't negative in any way. They're typical of any other athlete with a sponsor deal. If anything, Griffin being out there would be a good thing as he would be a great role model for young guys. Yet, the focus of many seems to be to shut him up, or else he will be bashed for speaking, because he is literally not allowed to talk/tweet/post/be on tv. Literally what the hell?

Really I think it's coming back to a prevailing perception in the public. I can't believe it's taken me this long to piece it together, but here goes.

Basically...there are people I talk to constantly who, as with movies, music, & video games...art & entertainment to be exact...want it to exclusively be devoid of political, religious, or intellectual ponderance. They want it immediately digestible in a way that makes them forget about society.

These people want their celebrities to only say please, & thank you, & to joke, & dance when told to do so & to otherwise stay out of their media.

To these people it's perfectly okay to ridicule others, to talk trash, to talk about their profession...but the minute you start to show that you have a mind with the ability to reason, & attempt to speak it...they want you to go back into your cubby hole.

My experience with this type of person is that they don't want to be forced to think about their position on topics. They don't want to think about the morality of topics unless they determine to seek it out. But they don't seem to find the irony in being so adamant about wanting others to shut up about these topics. Especially considering that they are following these people to the point of being involved in the discussion.

What they fail to realize is that we give them this platform by going to games, by following their FB, or Twitter, by talking on message boards be it to support, oppose, or to chime in just to say shut up.

You say he should just ignore the trappings of society's opinions, but then go on a message board to point this out.

You say he would be better served to just stay out of the public eye because there are always trolls all too anxious to pounce on every word.

I got news for you...He doesn't need to say anything for those people to say anything. These people will not be satisfied until they are.proven wrong. They have formed an opinion of him, whether it's because he's a black QB, or a mobile QB, or an intelligently outspoken black QB with a mature & articulate point of view...or maybe it's just because he's a Redskins player...or he's not their guy, or whatever. These people have formed their opinion...it won't change, & it certainly won't go away if he stays quiet.

So I ask you, what difference does it make? Because you don't want to have to read about more lazy, negative press about your team? If you looked for yourself & ignored the media spin, & utilize a bit of comprehension I'd venture a guess that you wouldn't be so up in arms...it's everyone else's perceptions that seem to be getting to you.

Finally...There are people whining about how much time he must be spending on this & whether the mental fatigue will run into his preparation.

Kobe Bryant constantly points out negative criticism in the media & talks about how he uses it as fuel. Same with Kaepernick, & Wilson. As much as it pains me to point this out...LeBron James was being crucified for 2 years & made constant remarks like "I'm making a list & taking names...you all will be sorry."

I guess it didn't affect his play all that much...He has won 2 titles since. MJ would do the same thing...He just didn't have Twitter & the like.

So to say this ranting & diatribing over his criticism is a cause to indict him for conduct detrimental to the team is just plain stupid.

They are people too & we normies like to forget that despite the pedestals we place them upon loom larger than life at times, they get hurt & offended & I am certain that when they get blamed for things or criticized for things that are outright nonsensical & ignorant I am sure they get just as disgusted & saddened as I do when I see it.

The reaction from society is multitudinally more alarming & concerning to me than a celebrities, ultimately, meaningless FB post. This is what makes me worry about our direction as a society...not someone exercising their 1st amendment rights.

Well there you go. That's exactly what I was looking for. This is closer to what RG3 did than the tweet by Aaron Rodgers, although Kluwe's response was pretty extreme.

A lot of those guys are hall of game/borderline hall of game guys. After a certain point you earn the respect of your peers and can afford to be more outspoken.

I'll admit I didn't think it was that common.

I still disagree with them doing it. Especially a guy like RG3 who is known to be very outspoken.

To be fair, my original quote was that no player had ever done this on Facebook specifically.

And to be fair, you're splitting hairs trying to differenciate between FB & Twitter. Social media is social media. Question for you, how would you have liked him to handle this?  Lets not be naive either and act as if nothing would happen if he had ignored the question.  So, knowing that he's gonna catch hell no matter what he does, what would your suggestion be?

I think its sad that a player who has done nothing wrong personally, has lead a great life, works hard, is honest and is a great role model is being ridiculed.

RGIII is a good role model, especially in today's modern sports world. He hasn't hit his gf/wife, he hasn't gotten a DUI, he hasn't stole anything or used a slur in public. He doesn't do drugs that we know of nor does he seem to indulge in any bad after hours activities that we are aware of. Yet he still gets slammed, much like Tim Tebow. 

In all honesty, I find it sick. And don't give me this bs about "but i deserve the right to criticize him! hes not god!" which is just an excuse to want to knock someone without looking like a jackass doing it. Have all your opinions that you want, say what you will, but at the end of the day a guy like RGIII doesn't deserve it and if you pile on than youre one of the crowd. 

I keep hearing this thing about fans who feel like they;re unable to criticize him because they get flamed for it, but the way I look at it, they should look into why they think the criticism is deserved. He was run through the mud for weeks until the season was over. if it truly is a new season, leave the criticism for pre-season and week 1 when he has something to criticize. all this is just stuff that should be moved along. Fans' and media's obsession with blowing things out of proportion has almost made me hate this team and its fanbase now.

I am a die hard fan and even I have a hard time caring about anyone who reps the burgundy and gold anymore because of the way so many fans wallow in negativity and controversy. 

Just say enjoy your offseason RGIII, lets go Gruden and right the ship and look forward to the draft and FA.

Again. Some of you still don't get it. We realize that III "hasn't gotten a DUI" or committed any other types of crimes. That's not what this is about. Some of us are frustrated because while he is a fine young man he is attracting unnecessary attention on himself and therefore the perception of him is that he's an attention whore. People don't like attention whores. Right or wrong that's just reality. If he were the QB for another NFC East team I can only imagine how different the reaction would be on here.

You can argue all you want that public opinion of him isn't going to bother him, but he's already proven that it indeed bothers him. 

Again. Some of you still don't get it. We realize that III "hasn't gotten a DUI" or committed any other types of crimes. That's not what this is about. Some of us are frustrated because while he is a fine young man he is attracting unnecessary attention on himself and therefore the perception of him is that he's an attention whore. People don't like attention whores. Right or wrong that's just reality. If he were the QB for another NFC East team I can only imagine how different the reaction would be on here.

You can argue all you want that public opinion of him isn't going to bother him, but he's already proven that it indeed bothers him. 

I agree to an extent. I don't think it bothered him initially. But look at the litany of bull**** that came out weekly--the rumors he rushed back because he didn't want Cousins to take his job, the completely bull**** report he didn't want to watch negative film of himself (refuted by just about everyone that ever work with him, except for the source), the idea that the linemen don't pick him up after sacks b/c they don't like him (Big Trent called it "some ****" I believe), the idea that he walks around the locker room boasting he is friends with the owner and can shape the roster, the idea that his dad runs the locker room and was pushing for Art Briles to coach, etc. etc. etc. And hacks like Jenkins and Wise lap it up without a second thought, and reprint it time and time again.

I don't think there has been a QB in this league that has faced this level of off-the-field scrutiny. None of the rumor or reports had anything to do with his game. It had everything to do with discrediting Griffin as a person. They were personal attacks. No player in this league since TO has faced this--not Romo sits to pee, not Stafford, not Rothliesberger, not ever Blaine Gabbert (who sucks!). And really--if you want to compare Griffin to TO--well...I don't know what to tell you.

I can understand the frustration. When lie after lie after lie gets printed about you--you get to the point you want to punch someone.

You're right Riggo. All the more reason for him to refrain from taking the bait from fans or media. It's simple really. Just go into the offseason like I've repeated several times and work on your craft. Want to make commercials. Great. Endorse those products. Don't endorse RGIII. Everybody knows who you are.

The 2 most scrutinized (love/hate) QBs in recent history are Tim Tebow and RG3.

Both had fans chanting TEBOW TEBOW TEBOW......RG3 RG3 RG3 before they took there first NFL snap.

Coincidence?

Some fans love idolizing players and some loath it.

The media thrives on it either way.

@ Gamebreaker. The Manning's, Brees and Brady's of the world do just that. Why do you think they are great? The ability to continue to be great and adjust to different defensive schemes doesn't happen by just showing up. You want to be great? You have to put in the work.

Enough of the "Poor RGIII". He's anything but poor.

Aside from the people who don't like him - I mean duh, if you root for another team who the hell cares what you think?  What actual repercussions has this had on him or the redskins?

How important is public perception to an NFL team's offseason?

Not a big deal.

@ Gamebreaker. The Manning's, Brees and Brady's of the world do just that. Why do you think they are great? The ability to continue to be great and adjust to different defensive schemes doesn't happen by just showing up. You want to be great? You have to put in the work.

What a load of bull****.  Seriously.  You have no earthly idea how much or how little Griffin spends working in the offseason. 

Even Griffin's harshest critics acknowledge what a hard worker he is.  Yet somehow you are able to discern that he's slacking because of a couple of Facebook postings.  It's gotten preposterous. 

Hmmm, yeah, the evidence I have seen - I believe that RG3 is a hard worker.  Should he have said that on FB? I personally think it is fair - but I can see why some would think he shouldn't.  But, one thing, I do have confidence in - is that RG3 puts in work.  He worked hard rehabbing his injuries, and the dude worked out/trained DURING his bachelor party and honeymoon trips!  I sure as heck didn't for mine, haha! And the accounts from the likes of Doc, and his teammates--he has a strong work ethic.

Here's to hoping, they put a good product on the field, run a tighter ship - and all this off-field random drama stories are done next season.

Hail!

We don't know that Peyton (I will not say Eli), Brady and Brees spend every waking minute of the day on football. In fact, I'm positive they don't. Brees is very active in the NO community, where is the outrage that he's doing something non-football related? Oh, well it's for the kids so that will get a pass. Brady and Peyton are just very private people, and older than Robert, so they could probably care less about social media. But just because you don't see them on social media doesn't guarantee their spending any more or less time on their craft than RG3. 

I just think a line needs to be drawn where fans, lacking intimate knowledge of a player's routine and schedule, are telling him what he can and cannot do in his personal life. 

No they don't do that. Brady in his offseason is jetsetting and travelling the world with his supermodel gf. When its time to get back to camp, then he pours over the film and playbook. Same with Peyton Manning, that at one time was on fishing shows during his offseason. 

I have a job, and i do it just fine while managing to post here and on facebook, twitter. etc.

Right now it's lunchtime, and I will not work, but i will post on my favorite spots.

And even though I am not a pro quarterback, being a freelancer is similar in that i must ALWAYS work, every day, any hour.

yet no matter how much you work, there's always a little downtime.

Posting on facebook, or anywhere else is no indicator of how hard a person works.

This is a big giant WHO THE **** CARES>

Honestly,, this is the kind of **** the hens cluck about on the View.

And yet this is what passes for sports news here in DC because our Kardashian Kulture eats it up.

How about ES get a couple posters to stand out in front of a 7-11 and ask RG3 what he just bought.. chase him down th street like those TMZ losers.

Maybe we get some voyeuristic pics of redskins in swimsuits, black out their eyes and try to guess which one has all that icky celullite.

Cluck cluck cluck.

~Bang

Robert is not Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, or Drew Brees. Things will be different when he has a Super Bowl ring or two. Right now, he doesn’t.

Right, so he must work 24 hours every day 7 days a week and may do absolutely nothing else on his own time lest it piss off people making unreasonable comparisons like this one.

No time for a shower, RG3, tell the wife you'll see her in 12 or 13 years.

this guy wrote on facebook for a little while.

So what.

~Bang

I would love for RGIII to do a complete heel turn this season.

Go from Hulk Hogan to Hollywood Hogan.

TD dances, douchey interviews, hanging out with Drake and Wayne, making a rap album, skipping practice, ****ing groupies, get face tats, everything.

Hell, that's the perception of him now anyway. Might as well embrace it lol

Alex Ovechkin, Derek Jeter, Kobe, LeBron, and the Pats as an organization revel in being hated

Ha ha. Some of you are just going to remain clueless. When the **** did I compare III to Manning, Brady or Brees? I didn't. Was just stating how greratness is achieved.

When the **** did I question III's work ethic? I didn't. I know the kid works hard. It's why he is where he is today.

Since some of you need everything explained in detail here goes. He had a down year last year (the injury recovery played a huge role) and he needs a big bounce back year or what has transpired (largely in part of the media) is only going to magnify. Which is why the **** he is going to have to work even harder this offseason. Oh yeah there's that new system he also has to absorb. Is that clear enough for you?

Just to be clear. My "criticism" of III is more frustration than anything. Why? Because I love the kid because it's obvious the player he can be and he is a high character guy. It's just his moments such as the Facebook post which has gotten completely blown out of proportion that make me cringe, but yet people are judging him for that. I hate that.

Again. Just quietly go into the offseason and come back with a vengeance and it will shut the media the **** up. 

How's that for ****ing "Bull****" Dan T?

Archived