Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FB: RG3 Speaks Out

PigskinRedskin

So, you're comparing a guy that's in his early 20's who has been a professional for 2 years, to a 60 year old CEO who's been in the business for decades and made all his dumb *** mistakes when there was no such thing as social media?  That sounds fair.

Here's your answer, the fan's opinion changed.  Griffin answered her post, and it made, "a difference".  Those are her words.

Then follow Rex to his next team.

How about comparing him to Russel Wilson then. The guy has been nothing but a class act since entering the league. 

You know what, how about we compare him to every player to every play in the NFL?  Name another player that has done this? Don't worry, I'll wait 

Lets see. Ocho Cinco, Drew Brees, Ray Rice, Reggie Bush, MJD to name a few.

Prove it.  Show me the posts.  

And Ocho Cinco is the definition of a Diva.  Horrible comparison.

Defending myself?  No, just commenting.  I am a fan.  I don't play for the organization. I don't get paid millions by the organization. 

How would it look if the CEO of Apple made a Facebook post defending himself as a CEO?  Not defending the company, but defending himself? It would do no good for the company.  It would be seen as selfish.  

Answer one question.  What positive can come out of this? Name  one positive thing that can come out of RG3 writing an essay defending himself on Facebook.  I dare you. 

Its childish.  Sorry if I don't want the face of my organization behaving childishly.  I'd rather the face of my organization behave professionally.  Even Santana Moss called him out for not taking the blame like a man.

I understand he's only 24.  I'm 24.  I guarantee the partner at my firm wouldn't be happy with me displaying the childish behavior that RG3 displays on a consistent basis.  

There is nothing childish about his comment.  

and there is zero relation to his position and your (undisclosed) job for you to make an equation in this case. 

Defending myself?  No, just commenting.  I am a fan.  I don't play for the organization. I don't get paid millions by the organization. 

How would it look if the CEO of Apple made a Facebook post defending himself as a CEO?  Not defending the company, but defending himself? It would do no good for the company.  It would be seen as selfish.  

Answer one question.  What positive can come out of this? Name  one positive thing that can come out of RG3 writing an essay defending himself on Facebook.  I dare you. 

Actually, you see it all the time. You see Larry Michaels take twitter questions. I just watched Comcast Sports do some Wizards Questions, the freakin president started taking social media questions. They do it on CSPAN. 

Maybe you're behind the times, but social media is a part of our lives. 

And you said to name one positive thing. Its called building your brand and building a connection to the fan base. Why do you think Drew Brees and Ocho Cinco have so many followers? Because they have direct connections to their fans and respond to their questions, and what social media does (watch this). What social media does is takes the power out of the hands of the media. So, see how RG3 put up 300+ words in that response. All of us who cared to read it, we got to read all of it. The media outlets that covered it, only read the first part, or the interesting parts. That meant that they got the opportunity to filter RG3 and parse his words. Social media gives him the power to connect directly to the fans without 980 or 106.7 or Comcast or ESPN or NFL network or NBC or CBS or Fox or whoever else saying "you've only got 2 minutes so we're going to have to chop this up". 

But you and I know this isn't about facebook and social media. Its about the man using facebook and social media. The story is about wanting to talk about RG3 and find more reasons to call him names. You know it and I know it and the fact that you and all the other haters are acting like teenage girls in your way to go about doing it is just sickening. 

Here's the deal... It's the TYPES of things he says and does that get him in trouble, not the mere fact that he does it.

I have zero problem with the following things:

--Commericals: God bless him, get as many as he can while he can. If I was his agent (obviously) or friend, I'd tell him to endorse as much stuff as he could as long as it didn't start interfering with his work or home life. The ads he stars in don't bother me one bit. I'd be all over those if I was him.

--Personal social media: FB and twitter stuff that is 100% non-football is cool. I see no harm in him telling people what his favorite pizza topping is.

Things that I think he needs to curb.....

--Social media posts/responses that deal with football/his job. Even stuff that seems totally innocent.

For example, let's say he posts the following:

"I love JoJo's pizza. Best Pepporoni in town."

That is really in-spinnable. Not even the biggest media pot stirrer can do much with that.

Let's say he posts the following:

"Been up all night watching film on Cowboys; gonna be a battle Sunday; Getting mind and body ready."

That is also innocent. It doesn't reveal anything. But it is a bad move to post. Why?

Because the pot stirrer can headline this:

"RG3 boasts about late night film study on Dallas."

Or a reporter can ask Demarcus Ware:

"Demarcus, care to comment on RG3 saying on Twitter that he's been studying you on film and that he is ready for you?"

Can of worms.... Opened. Now RG3 has to go BACK to social media and/or the press and try to clear the air about what he felt was a simple and innocent comment.

There is just no need for him to talk shop on social media--- it is obvious the vultures circle whenever he does. Let it go.

Operation Patience was another example of just putting himself out there far too much.

At that point in camp, the tension was obvious. Whether it stemmed from RG3, Shanny, Dr. Andrews, etc is immaterial--- it existed and it was distracting. I imagine RG3 printed the shirt to be funny and try to diffuse it-- well intentioned perhaps.

But here is what happens... It's a preseason game he isn't even playing in and he wears that shirt during warm ups.... He knows the cameras will find him and it quickly becomes a story. It was totally acoidable and in that situation he knows darn well people are going to see it and talk about it-- he can't act flabbergasted when it happens. It makes things awkward and fuels the RGME stuff.

I have no doubt rg3 worked as hard or harder as anyone ever has to recover from his ACL. He is a beast. But he also told everyone along the way how hard he was working. Created a little fatigue and maybe some resentment. And also came off as insecurity on his part as well, banging the "I'm ready" drum non stop for so long.

So that's where I stand on this stuff... I don't think he needs to delete his Twitter or FB and I don't think he needs to be stone faced or be someone he isn't. Rg3 is a pretty dynamic personality. A little ****iness never hurt anyone-- especially not an elite athlete.

I would just like to see him tone it down and find a way to block out the noise. He should control the message.. What often happens is that by posting then responding then clarifying... The message starts to control him. He doesn't need to "go away"--- he just needs a filter.

There is nothing childish about his comment.  

and there is zero relation to his position and your (undisclosed) job for you to make an equation in this case. 

DIdn't say the actual comment was childish.

Writing an essay on Facebook defending yourself is childish for a 24 year old professional athlete.  No way around that.  Obviously degree of childishness is an opinion, and can't be solidified with facts, but I guarantee if you go to a neutral online place they will all say the same things I am saying. I just read a thread on a music message board and the comments were far more hateful than the criticism that I am posting.

How about comparing him to Russel Wilson then. The guy has been nothing but a class act since entering the league. 

You know what, how about we compare him to every player to every play in the NFL?  Name another player that has done this? Don't worry, I'll wait 

I've got a better idea, how about we just take that comment "Prove it," and ask social media how "professional" or even "adult" that was.  Give me a break.  The guy gave you a list, and you didn't like it so you assume he's lying.  That's called denial, and since you're saying RG3 is a "diva" that would be a perfect comparison in your own words.

So, I don't need to give you a list, just look at reality.  Professional athletes DO communicate with fans on occasion.  Griffin answered a fan, and she changed her tune.  NO HARM DONE.

It's funny that everyone, including you I bet, was saying what a "class act" Griffin was last season, and before he was drafted, but now that he's had a down year, you can't help but find things wrong with him.

Actually, you see it all the time. You see Larry Michaels take twitter questions. I just watched Comcast Sports do some Wizards Questions, the freakin president started taking social media questions. They do it on CSPAN. 

Maybe you're behind the times, but social media is a part of our lives. 

And you said to name one positive thing. Its called building your brand and building a connection to the fan base. Why do you think Drew Brees and Ocho Cinco have so many followers? Because they have direct connections to their fans and respond to their questions, and what social media does (watch this). What social media does is takes the power out of the hands of the media. So, see how RG3 put up 300+ words in that response. All of us who cared to read it, we got to read all of it. The media outlets that covered it, only read the first part, or the interesting parts. That meant that they got the opportunity to filter RG3 and parse his words. Social media gives him the power to connect directly to the fans without 980 or 106.7 or Comcast or ESPN or NFL network or NBC or CBS or Fox or whoever else saying "you've only got 2 minutes so we're going to have to chop this up". 

But you and I know this isn't about facebook and social media. Its about the man using facebook and social media. The story is about wanting to talk about RG3 and find more reasons to call him names. You know it and I know it and the fact that you and all the other haters are acting like teenage girls in your way to go about doing it is just sickening. 

https://twitter.com/drewbrees

All of these organizations, including the President, are generally not responding to personal jabs.  I can't find one example.  

USING social media is fine.  This is not the distinction I'm trying to make.

It's HOW you use social media.  

You think the President would get on Facebook and write an essay defending himself about the birth certificate issue that was brought up before his first term? 

Reading comprehension is important.

I didn't say give me examples of athletes using social media. I'm highly aware this is a very common occurence.

I explicitly said show me an example of an athlete writing a long multiple-paragraph response to being criticized as a person.

I can't find one example of an athlete writing a response defending himself about something that has nothing to do with on-the-field play.

Some of u have said that RT I did was for a fake cause. If so that's sad. Childhood cancer shouldn't be joked about. Love my @maccfund kids

Wow, what an unprofessional, diva, *******.  He should shut the **** up for answering fans about their accusations towards him on Twitter.

Well, I guess it's okay. After all, he did get to the playoffs this year.

I can't find one example of an athlete writing a response defending himself about something that has nothing to do with on-the-field play. 

That took all of 10 seconds.  It's not hard. 

Some of u have said that RT I did was for a fake cause. If so that's sad. Childhood cancer shouldn't be joked about. Love my @maccfund kids

Wow, what an unprofessional, diva, *******.  He should shut the **** up for answering fans about their accusations towards him on Twitter.

That took all of 10 seconds.  It's not hard. 

A one sentence response about kids dying from cancer and showing support is a lot different than the essay RG3 posted on Facebook defending his actions in the media.  

RG3 was directly responding to media criticism, fan criticism, etc.  This is apples and oranges. 

All of these organizations, including the President, are generally not responding to personal jabs.  I can't find one example.  

USING social media is fine.  This is not the distinction I'm trying to make.

It's HOW you use social media.  

You think the President would get on Facebook and write an essay defending himself about the birth certificate issue that was brought up before his first term? 

Like I said, So what if he did? Does that mean you wouldn't vote for him? Does RG3 using facebook mean you don't support him? I mean, you already didn't so does it mean you support him even less now? Why do you care so much. If I want to go on facebook and read every comment on there and reply to each and every one, what does it matter to you? Why are you getting all worked up? 

And just cause you asked for it, here is Aaron Rodgers replying to an inappropriate tweet. 

A one sentence response about kids dying from cancer and showing support is a lot different than the essay RG3 posted on Facebook defending his actions in the media.  

RG3 was directly responding to media criticism, fan criticism, etc.  This is apples and oranges. 

Ooohhh, I'm sorry.  I must have misunderstood your exact perimeters.  So, how many words did it need to be?  I thought you asked for, let me check it again: "one example of an athlete writing a response defending himself about something that has nothing to do with on-the-field play."

Well, seems like I did find exactly what you asked for.

Again, if you don't like it, you're in denial.  Players do defend themselves on Twitter and Facebook, it's just not news all the time.

Oh. My. God. Rodgers is a Diva!!!!!!!!!!

Honestly, can you believe the nerve.  What a **** head.

RG3 was directly responding to media criticism, fan criticism, etc. This is apples and oranges.

RG3 was responding to a specific FB user's post. Is your problem that he was more verbose than Rodgers?

Would it have been okay if he had orally communicated his message? If he had been sitting on a sofa next to Barbara Walters? This is how the new generation not only communicates, but this is how they act. Social media is a way for celebrities to reach even more fans and let us feel like we are closer to them. Love it or hate it. This is how it is.

The problem with people supporting this by comparing it to one Aaron Rodgers tweet is that they are seeing this as an isolated incident.

Its the cumulative effect of all of RG3's actions in a two year period that make this essay he posted on Facebook more childish. unnecessary, counterproductive, and attention-seeking.  

The problem with people supporting this by comparing it to one Aaron Rodgers tweet is that they are seeing this as an isolated incident.

Its the cumulative effect of all of RG3's actions in a two year period that make this essay he posted on Facebook more childish. unnecessary, counterproductive, and attention-seeking.  

Don't forget to adjust your rear view mirror if you're gonna back pedal that fast.

Some people really need to learn how to read.

I didn't say give me examples of athletes using social media.  I'm highly aware this is a very common occurence.  

I explicitly said show me an example of an athlete writing a long multiple-paragraph response to being criticized as a person.  

Moving-GoalpostsTop.jpg

I just don't have a problem with it. I enjoyed how vocal Robert was while in college, and I still enjoy it.  Sometimes, I think his problem is actually that he doesn't explain himself enough.  For example, Moss gave him a hard time for not explaining that Robert wasn't taking enough credit for bad games.  To me, that says, "Speak more," to you it says, speak less.

I have to disagree.  I don't think there is a problem with what he's done, and apparently neither did the fan he answered. 

I'll just leave it at that.

Listen child. Have you noticed how when you post nobody agrees with you? You ever wonder why? It's not because of bias, and it's certainly not because you're magically smarter than everyone else out there. It's because you're a turd. A little stinky turd that needs to be flushed from this message board because your contributions are so utterly worthless they adversely affect the overall quality of discussion for this entire community. I'm done with you. You're worthless. I can only hope that everyone else follows suit and puts you on Ignore as well. It'll be your own little echo chamber.

Archived