Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Lol, more leaks..NBCWashington:Kyle Shanahan May Be at Center of Redskins Coaching Drama

darrelgreenie

Cooley will flip-flop from show to show, day to day.

Sometimes but I've listened to the show a ton.  I know he's sold on him being a genuine franchise QB, he's said it a lot.  His criticism usually centers on things he thinks he can easily fix in the off season, for example last week he talked about how Rg3 once could throw well on the run via boots, etc, but he is struggling with it this year because he has a hard time seeing the field, he says he drops his eyes, etc.   But even on that point he goes on and says that when you don't have an off season to practice this stuff you are going to slide as opposed to progress.  But yeah I've yet to notice him equivocate on RG3 being the team's future or doubt that he will work out.  I'd go as far as saying he's an RG3 homer.    It's just that with his now weekly film review, he points out flaws in every players game.  He was real harsh yesterday on the O line.     

Sometimes but I've listened to the show a ton.  I know he's sold on him being a genuine franchise QB, he's said it a lot.  His criticism usually centers on things he thinks he can easily fix in the off season, for example last week he talked about how Rg3 once could throw well on the run via boots, etc, but he is struggling with it this year because he has a hard time seeing the field, he says he drops his eyes, etc.   But even on that point he goes on and says that when you don't have an off season to practice this stuff you are going to slide as opposed to progress.  But yeah I've yet to notice him equivocate on RG3 being the team's future or doubt that he will work out.  I'd go as far as saying he's an RG3 homer.    It's just that with his now weekly film review, he points out flaws in every players game.  He was real harsh yesterday on the O line.     

agreed, he rips on griffin but its all constructive stuff that he seems to think is very fixable, vs the argument that griffin is damaged goods and can never get any better. 

Dan should strip Shanahan of his GM duties and let Bruce fire Kyle. 

two actions that would lead to Shanny quitting, so you may as well fire him

Cooley's diagnosis -- and I think he knows better than most of us -- is precisely the thing that confuses me with the hate for the Read Option.

Kyle puts in a system that minimizes reads for RG to help him acclimate to the league.  RG gets hurt so the growth of him as a player is stunted.  RG doesn't want to run Read Option anymore because he's convinced by someone that it is bad for him as a player.  Team modifies offense to grow as a pocket passer on the fly.  There are some flashes, but it (the 2013 offense) generally underachieves.  Teams see that now so they bottle us up with blitzes where he's not making good reads.  When they try to run stuff that worked last year, RG can't or won't be explosive.

despite what people say about his injuries coming on scrambles, a run is a run and more runs lead to more chances of him getting hurt

Cooley will flip-flop from show to show, day to day.

A big thing factoring Cooley's opinion is that RG3 has been flip-flopping from week to week. First half vs. NY he looked he was returning to RG3 of old, second half no adjustments were made and consequently he started to regress. I'm still a 100% RG3 supporter, he is simply too talented of an athlete and too hard a worker to fail as a QB in this league. Give him a full off-season with a NEW coaching staff that will play to his best abilities, rather than having the Shannahan's try and fit a star into a square, outdated role as the QB of this team.

Bill O'Brien is my ideal candidate for next year. He's done wonders for every QB at PSU and has settled down a circus enviornment at State College to an atmosphere where only on the field results are talked about. He has the right mind and new age, pro style schemeing to excel as a coach for us. Let him field his own staff, and let's see what happens. It really can't get any worse.

two actions that would lead to Shanny quitting, so you may as well fire him

despite what people say about his injuries coming on scrambles, a run is a run and more runs lead to more chances of him getting hurt

Yeah if he stayed, Kyle would be crying to mommy that Dad knew of his firing all along.

A big thing factoring Cooley's opinion is that RG3 has been flip-flopping from week to week. First half vs. NY he looked he was returning to RG3 of old, second half no adjustments were made and consequently he started to regress. I'm still a 100% RG3 supporter, he is simply too talented of an athlete and too hard a worker to fail as a QB in this league. Give him a full off-season with a NEW coaching staff that will play to his best abilities, rather than having the Shannahan's try and fit a star into a square, outdated role as the QB of this team.

Oh Cooley's analysis is on point but his opinions about Kyle/Mike are flaky. He'll be critical of the offense design and gameplan but always stops short of criticism of playcalling/Kyle. And has a wierd view of Mike he somehow respects him but thinks he's a weasel at the same time.

Oh Cooley's analysis is on point but his opinions about Kyle/Mike are flaky. He'll be critical of the offense design and gameplan but always stops short of criticism of playcalling/Kyle. And has a wierd view of Mike he somehow respects him but thinks he's a weasel at the same time.

I've spoken to Cooley a few times, to the point he recognizes my face (but doesn't know my name :P). It should be noted that he was a HUGE Broncos fan growing up. And thus, he's a big Mike Shanahan fan.

Some people see it as him flip-flopping opinions, I think it's more him being careful with his wording while still being honest about it. Shanahan to him is like Gibbs to us (and probably him, too, seeing how his first HC was Gibbs).

Bill O'Brien is my ideal candidate for next year. He's done wonders for every QB at PSU and has settled down a circus enviornment at State College to an atmosphere where only on the field results are talked about. He has the right mind and new age, pro style schemeing to excel as a coach for us. Let him field his own staff, and let's see what happens. It really can't get any worse.

I never thought of Bill O'Brien. Can't argue with what he's done at Penn St and he was pretty highly thought of by Brady/Belichick.

Pretty sure O'Brien said he's never leaving Happy Valley or something to that effect though. He'd be an amazing candidate, seeing he somehow managed to wash out the stink of JERRY SANDUSKY out of that program in one year, but he's almost certainly not leaving even if Dan drops a helicopter full of money on his lawn and says "I'll make you an offer you cannot refuse"

I'm starting to believe that Kyle is Mike's endgame. He's gonna blackmail Snyder into letting Kyle take over as the Head Coach. Basically Mike agrees to resign and Snyder saves paying him 7M on the condition that Snyder agrees to make Kyle the HC. Snyder will grant Raheem a mock interview just to satisfy the Rooney rule. Kyle then keeps the same crappy staff we have now, the Griffin/Cousins drama resumes in the offseason and we get our hopes up again by the team overpaying 4 or 5 big name free agents and trading another future 1st round pick for another big name. 

JLC: Kyle Shanahan, staff inexperience at core of Redskins dysfunction

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24375961/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction

Pretty clear that JLC has a connection to someone on the Snyder side, he's been putting out pretty good "behind the scenes" stuff lately.

Several members of the organization said Kyle Shanahan was a cause of internal strife, surrounding himself with young coaches with inferior experience, and allowing for no checks and balances of outside voices in the offensive coaching rooms.

“This is the NFL, it’s not supposed to be a training ground for coaches,” said someone who has worked with Kyle Shanahan in Washington. “It’s ridiculous. Look at this staff. It sucks. Mike’s best buddy is (longtime Shanahan assistant and current linebackers coach Bob Slowik), and Slowik’s son is in his second year out of college and he’s on the staff. Everyone on the staff is in his first or second year except for Mike and Kyle and Haslett (defensive coordinator Jim Haslett) and Raheem (Morris, the secondary coach), and everyone knows Raheem is there because he is close with Kyle. Those two go way back.

“Kyle’s not that confident, so they set him up with a bunch of yes men rather than have some experienced coaches to push him. It’s like Kyle is the pied piper and these kids just follow him around. I mean, Mike has been a head coach for 20 years -- usually a guy like that has a posse he can bring with him. So he’s got Bobby Turner (running backs coach) here, and Slowik, and that’s it. How does that happen? How does he end up hiring all of his son’s buddies?

“What Mike has allowed to happen there, with that staff, there is no excuse for. There are guys on that staff who are just not qualified, and it shows up. Have you seen the quarterback develop? Look at (defensive ends Brian) Orakpo and (Ryan) Kerrigan? Are they progressing or regressing? Are you seeing the offensive lineman they drafted making it to the field?’ How many players are getting the kind of NFL coaching you’d expect on that staff?”

The Redskins have had a succession of first-time wide receivers coaches on this staff, and the offensive staff has generally been devoid of experience other than Turner. Most of the offensive staff had less than two years of NFL experience before coming to Washington and even in those cases the two years weren’t as actual position coaches, but as offensive assistants and low-level help.

Much more at link.

AANNND here are your Sunday leaks:

@RapSheet: On #Redskins from #NFLGameDay: Kyle Shanahan decided it is no longer worth it to work with his father. Expect him on his own path next year

@Manny_PPI: RT @HTTR24_7: @RapSheet drops..RGIII has told teamates he will be playing for another coach next season.

JLC: Kyle Shanahan, staff inexperience at core of Redskins dysfunction

http://mweb.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24375961/kyle-shanahan-staff-inexperience-at-core-of-redskins-dysfunction

Pretty clear that JLC has a connection to someone on the Snyder side, he's been putting out pretty good "behind the scenes" stuff lately.

Much more at link.

I don't consider this a leak, I consider this the truth.

An error occurred

I have reached my quota of positive votes for the day

“This is the NFL, it’s not supposed to be a training ground for coaches,” said someone who has worked with Kyle Shanahan in Washington. “It’s ridiculous. Look at this staff. It sucks. Mike’s best buddy is (longtime Shanahan assistant and current linebackers coach Bob Slowik), and Slowik’s son is in his second year out of college and he’s on the staff. Everyone on the staff is in his first or second year except for Mike and Kyle and Haslett (defensive coordinator Jim Haslett) and Raheem (Morris, the secondary coach), and everyone knows Raheem is there because he is close with Kyle. Those two go way back.

“Kyle’s not that confident, so they set him up with a bunch of yes men rather than have some experienced coaches to push him. It’s like Kyle is the pied piper and these kids just follow him around. I mean, Mike has been a head coach for 20 years -- usually a guy like that has a posse he can bring with him. So he’s got Bobby Turner (running backs coach) here, and Slowik, and that’s it. How does that happen? How does he end up hiring all of his son’s buddies?

“What Mike has allowed to happen there, with that staff, there is no excuse for. There are guys on that staff who are just not qualified, and it shows up. Have you seen the quarterback develop? Look at (defensive ends Brian) Orakpo and (Ryan) Kerrigan? Are they progressing or regressing? Are you seeing the offensive lineman they drafted making it to the field?’ How many players are getting the kind of NFL coaching you’d expect on that staff?”

I've said this before.

Prolonged lack of execution is a coaching issue

Overall preparation are coaching issues

Penalties

Lack of no huddle

Lack of development of WRs, QBs, LBs

One of my pet peeves is how poorly our WRs block on screens that's a coaching issues, Aldrick Robinson regressed, Morgan regressed, Tana dissappeared

Griffin hasn't been developed EVEN with the offseason hurdles he could have been coached up on basics

We run a lot of cover 3 yet our LBs spot drop instead of pattern read/match THAT imho is one of the biggest problems with our pass coverage its why there are so many holes

etc..etc..

But no worries though this staff is all but gone.

In reference to the JLC article about Kyle, I am shocked that it has been allowed to get to this point. Mike is an enabler of his spoiled brat and the Redskins have to suffer for it (the fans that is, the players are still paid win or lose). I mean, it sounds like an Animal House type atmosphere @ Redskins Park.

It's a damn shame one of the best talents from college ever was drafted into this mess. RG3 deserves better.

You may actually be onto something here... News this morning that Kyle wants away from mike, that they don't agree on direction of franchise. Add that to the comments about Kyle upset about rg3 benching, and you have a good cop/bad cop thing.

It's a pretty crazy conspiracy theory, but something is definitely afoot

I'm starting to believe that Kyle is Mike's endgame. He's gonna blackmail Snyder into letting Kyle take over as the Head Coach. Basically Mike agrees to resign and Snyder saves paying him 7M on the condition that Snyder agrees to make Kyle the HC. Snyder will grant Raheem a mock interview just to satisfy the Rooney rule. Kyle then keeps the same crappy staff we have now, the Griffin/Cousins drama resumes in the offseason and we get our hopes up again by the team overpaying 4 or 5 big name free agents and trading another future 1st round pick for another big name.

You may actually be onto something here... News this morning that Kyle wants away from mike, that they don't agree on direction of franchise. Add that to the comments about Kyle upset about rg3 benching, and you have a good cop/bad cop thing.

It's a pretty crazy conspiracy theory, but something is definitely afoot

Close but not that crazy/conspiratorial. Writing has been on the wall for awhile. This Snyder/Shanahan feud mess, and the Griffin benching, has all been a smokescreen. Mike is trying to keep the attention off of Kyle to protect his career. If the JLC article and the one in the OP were the only things being reported, that's very damaging to Kyle. The sheer amount of noise coming out of Redskins Park helps insulate him a bit. He'll get another job next year. If he was the center of this mess and that was widely reported, he'd have a tough time.

:o

https://twitter.com/HTTR24_7

Walk you thru this..Mike drops Dan/Rg3 "relationship", Sits RG on wed & says Dan only cares about QB's. Now its "play the players he wants"

So read between the lines from Schefter.. He basically just dropped a threat from Mike to Dan,Fire me or I might roll with Cousins in 2014..

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297895/article/kyle-shanahan-decides-he-cant-work-alongside-dad

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport said Sunday on NFL Network's "NFL GameDay Morning" that the Washington Redskins offensive coordinator has decided he can no longer work for Mike Shanahan and plans to set out on his own path next year.

According to Rapoport, the younger Shanahan wants to escape the "stigma" that has come with working on his father's coaching staff. Shanahan spent two seasons as offensive coordinator of the Houston Texans before joining the Redskins in 2010. He'll likely attempt to make another lateral move this offseason.

While the news comes as a surprise, it's perhaps less shocking when you consider Kyle Shanahan's meeting with reporters on Thursday. Shanahan candidly explained he was frustrated with the team's decision to bench Robert Griffin III for the remainder of the season, while acknowledging he had "zero involvement" in the decision to go with Kirk Cousins.  In other news, a Redskins player told Rapoport that Griffin and Mike Shanahan passed each other in the hallway this week without saying a word. RGIII has told teammates he believes he'll be playing for a different head coach in 2014.  Not surprisingly, NFL Media columnist Michael Silver has been told the feeling inside the Redskins' building right now is "bizarre." Mike Shanahan has not brought up the team's decision to sit Griffin with his coaching staff or players. Silver called it the "elephant in the room."

The drama continues to unfold in D.C.

Archived