Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder The Real Problem: Not RGIII Not Shanahan

You'reNext

The blame goes to Mike Shanahan. I'm actually going to defend Snyder. To be fair, Snyder has been supportive of Shanahans decisions. The only blame Snyder deserves is giving Shanahan the ridiculous amount of control. Will Snyder finally surrender to the idea of needing a real front office to compete in the NFL?

If Shanahan wasn't pleased with RG3/Snyder friendship, he should have respectfully left after the wild card game. It's not uncommon for ownership trying to have some type of bond with the team leaders. I don't see any foul in this.

If Snyder was anti-social with any of the players, we'd still hear people complaining how Snyder doesn't care about them. Damned if do, damned if you don't.

Let me say first of all that I am officially sick of all the drama.  I like to watch football to get away from the drama in everyday life. 

D. Snyder came into the league with no idea of how to run a team.  He made MANY mistakes leading up to his hiring of Shanahan. 

However,  M. Shanahan has built this team from coaching staff to players to strength and conditioning.  M. Shanahan is in charge of all football related activities.  Snyder is an easy out.  This fan base falls for it every time. 

Shanahan came to the Redskins with a resume that included one John Elway.  Other than that, he had nothing.  Think back, people.  Jake Plummer, Jay Cutler, Donovan McNabb, John Beck (well, okay, Beck can't even be considered a qb).  Shanny has had problems with quarterbacks since he lost one of the best ever. 

Snyder must bear some responsibility only because he wasted so many years meddling and for hiring Shanahan.  Other than that, Shanny must bear the responsibility.

Get over with it.  Fire him.  Let's move on.  Find a real no-nonsense coach and a personnel guy to go with B.Allen.

HTTR

IMO, Snyder did mettle in the team's operations in years past, but when Mike came, he gave full control to Mike and backed away, just as many were  begging for back then. Remember years ago, Snyder was considered another Jerry Jones, and people ridiculed him for it; Mike says he wants full control, Snyder agrees, and its STILL Snyder's fault! I just don't get it. Damned if he does and damned if he doesn't.

But one thing I gotta say is this; it takes more than 1 to tango. I haven't heard a PEEP regarding players mailing it in yesterday, and that is bothersome.  If any of us are at our job, and we say to ourself " ya know, i'm just not feeling it today, I think i'll just kick back and collect my check".   We'd be at Mc Donalds seasoning curly fries at that juncture. So, where is the outcry for players to step up and take a little responsibility for their lackluster effort on the field?

By the lack of statements from players, they just don't like Mike; if I was being paid the salaries of some of these guys, HEC ANY OF THEM, i'd bust my ass each and every day, practices and games, regardless if it were the Pilsbury Dough Boy wearing the whistle.Its become a large group of spoiled, over-paid, under-performing players, who, as in sunday's game, seemed to care less because after the game is over and their showers have been taken, they're smiling all the way to the bank.

You miss the forest for the trees.

Dan Snyder isn't doing something right.  It's not working.  The players on the field the last four years is Shanny's fault.  The product is Snyders fault.

Snyder the owner refuses to build an NFL style front office and run the organization as a professional organization.  Until he does that, we will always be losers on the field.

I don't like Dan Snyder, but his contribution to this farce is minor. It's the failures on the field that have lead to this situation.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/08/23/mike-shanahan-anything-short-of-the-super-bowl-is-a-failure/

From just 100 days ago, Mike Shanahan said:

“We have a team that you’re going to be proud of,” Shanahan said. 

Shanahan said owner Dan Snyder has given his team all of the resources it needs, and that the personnel department has built a team good enough to win it all.

“Coaches coach, players play and together all of us can win championships,” Shanahan said, “and that’s what we plan to do.”

Snyder is just living his childhood dreams.  While he's grown up he is just doing what we would want to do.  Is it right, no way other players are correct this is detrimental to team chemistry.  Favoring players is ridiculous and Dan should be ashamed.  I still want Mike fired but Dan is wrecking this entire franchise if true.  Just so he could go on the golf course with "his posse"  and talk about how he had his driver take RG3's wife and friends or how he "hit the club with Portis" on a Friday night.  He won't get it.  This team is so dysfunctional it is unreal.  Why can't we just find out Kraft Bellichek connection already.  We have the pieces in place as far as talent on this team but nobody is playing for anyone right now.  Everyone has to go and we need to start fresh once again.  Suck for the next 2 years.  

That was a transitional period after Jack Kent Cooke had personal problems with his crazy 4th wife and whe he went senile and died and his son was in control.

It's equivalent to the last years of Jerry Buss when he was technically owner but was on his hospital bed for his last years and the Buss son and Tripuca were effectivley running and ruining the franchise.  Once the main man is gone these empires usually crumble quickly.

The Redskins trouble began with the start of free agency and more importantly... The Salary Cap.  That changed everything.  You could no longer spend money like in years past and be successful.  It made the draft more important.  The Beathard/Gibbs players had gotten old and it was time to rebuild.  At that point Casserly was the man intrusted with guiding the ship and he was a failure as the man running things.

The Casserly and the Snyder era were remarkably similar.  There were a bunch of horrible FA signings and draft picks (Stubbafield, Wilkinson, Stanley Richardson, James Washington,  Shuler, Westbrook... etc.).  We were just more likeable then.  Casserly was a horrible GM but he was seen as a classy guy. The same can be said for Norv.  Snyder is an ass.  That's going to stick with him until this team becomes a winner.

The problem with the Redskins is that we haven't had a competent GM since Beathard.  It is Snyder's fault in the sense that he chose Shanahan and gave him control despite evidence saying it was a bad idea.  If people think it is his fault because you think Shanahan had a bright future here and Snyder messed it up then I can't agree.  The problems we have now are remarkably similar to the end of his Denver days (horrible defense, feuding with QB).  So the ball is now in Snyder's court... again.

Snyder is the problem because he's too meddling and his focus is winning offseason superbowls instead of building a quality organization. In this latest instance, his enthusiam for his new toy (RG3) has undermined his coach's ability to run the team.

I live in New England. Robert Kraft is a good example of an owner who has learned. Once upon a time, Kraft was a meddling owner too, but now he lets BB run the show. Find the right person and give them the power. That's what good owners do.

I have never been a Snyder fan, but for the past 4 years he has given Shanny complete control over the team and personel decisions...and has basically vanished into the background.  Give credit where credit is due, Shanny has had 3 of those 4 years with double digit losses; not the owners fault. You can talk about his past meddeling ruining the team, and I would not disagree, but this is Mike's mess, not Danny's.

Agree with the OP.

Fools in this thread who continue supporting Snyder are not seeing the big picture. We've been a pretty miserable franchise for pretty much 20 years. Only constant in that time - you guessed it, Snyder.

If he hasn't learned by now, he never will. Snyder is just completely inept as a football team owner. He sucks, plain and simple.

Only way this changes is if he sells. He has shown he cannot learn to be a better manager/CEO.

I have never liked Snyder and I will never like Snyder, but he did what all of us wanted and that was to stay out of football operations. He gave Shanny full control (which by the way he was the only way he was coming aboard) and he has failed miserably. His record speaks for itself.

By the way chipwhich. YOU are the one that's laughable today. Not War Paint.

I am out of likes today, so I had to quote. I agree.

Snyder is not selling the team---ever! Fans need to accept that.

Snyder has had his moments to be sure, but I can't remember the last time there's been any interference by him.  It's mighty convenient these RUMORS start flying when Shanahan has lost the team and seemingly given up himself. Everything under Shanahan has been a boondoggle starting with the Fat Al fiasco.   It's been constant drama.  He's been unable to handle things in house.   His talent evaluation has sucked, McNabb.   Really!!!  His handling of RG's injury need not be mentioned.   On and on.   One has to look no further than Shanahan for this current mess.   All appearances have been from the get go that Snyder has given him everything he's asked for.     Mighty convenient. 

Bayless blames Dan Snyder for the Shanahan-RGIII debacle.

Both Stephen A and Skip have separate sources saying that Snyder wanted RGIII and pressured Shanahan to make the multi first round pick trade with the Rams.  Shanahan wanted Tannehil and Cousins and wanted to not move up.

Starts around 10 minute mark:

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=10108966

Snyder makes mistakes like everyone. Sometimes, it takes him YEARS to correct them. But if you believe what Shawn Springs said today about Robert Kraft openly jocksniffing Tom Brady (i do), then it is obvious that even the most successful owners probably are somewhat guilty of same. Do I think Snyder should constantly do favors for RG3 and his family? No. But the story didn't specify how many times this happened. More than two/three times? I think that this story is mostly hogwash!

NEWSFLASH! Snyder does nice things for his players.

But so do most other owners. Snyder sent his private jet for a family matter for Steven Bowen (a good player, but hardly a superstar that he would want to "jocksniff.") The Panthers owner had his private jet pick up his tight end and his wife and family, and personally accompanied them, to get life-changing surgery for his infant. ALL of the owners (well, most) have probably done similar for a lot of their players. They are often just like a family. And I would imagine that in the entire history of the NFL, the marquee players probably have gotten more than their fair share. So, the BOTTOM LINE is that this story is a WHOLE LOT of something about nothing. And (most likely) has ZERO to do with the weekly performance of a bunch of guys who are ALLEGEDLY "professional" football players!

Robert Kraft wouldn't get away with it either with that tiny exception that he is the owner of the most successful franchise over the last decade. So, fair or not, he's not going to take heat for that.

It also doesn't help that RG3 isn't having a good year. That only exacerbates the issue.

UnWise Mike's opinion piece on the matter:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/redskins/daniel-snyder-can-make-fans-happy-but-firing-mike-shanahan-wont-do-it/2013/12/09/e561ca6c-612c-11e3-8beb-3f9a9942850f_story.html

Daniel Snyder can make fans happy, but firing Mike Shanahan won’t do it  By UnWise MikePublished: December 9

Whether it ends today or Dec. 28, the Mike Shanahan era is over. Watching another football lifer, a winner of two Lombardi Trophies and Washington’s first division title in 13 years, defanged Monday at his weekly news conference — uncomfortably deflecting every “Are you done?” inquiry — was further proof. It’s all a formality now, a standoff over ego and money.

The debate over when it should end is misspent time and energy. There is only one era that needs to be over today: the Daniel Snyder era, which 14 years later has yet to begin in earnest.

Click here for the rest..

If only this was true.  I'd love to think that Shanny's terrible defenses here and in Denver for that matter are all about other people's faults including our owner:

Shanny is excuse city.  McNabb is the problem.  It's injuries as if we are the only team that has them.   Its the salary cap.   It's AH.  It's that yeah every rebuilding team takes 5 years to rebuild and you get a complete mulligan along the way.  It's about RG3 having Thanksgiving dinner with Danny.

Next it will be  RG3's dog ate Shanny's playbook?  Yeah Danny has issues which I don't like about him.  But saying he is the main problem seems a big time reach.  I guess what happened during that infamous thanksgiving dinner included RG3 and Danny creating a subliminal tape with messages like hire Keith Burns to be your special teams coach and played it for months to the poor unsuspecting Shanny?

Snyder could never of had any type of relationship with any player since he's been owner and it wouldn't matter. His rosters have usually been slighty above average to downright terrible on every team he has had. Every playoff team he has had follows the same scenario. Struggle all season then go on a 2nd half run to get in the playoffs with 9 or 10 wins only to get bounced in the WIldcard or Division round. This has been his real failing as an owner, not hiring a person that can actually put teams together and letting that person hire the coaches and pick the players. The media driven bs about his player relationships are irrelevant.

The Dan Snyder fans point to Jerry Jones's relationship with Romo sits to pee.  But guess what Dallas is a toxic situation primarily becuase of that team dividing coddling relationship between Romo sits to pee (and by extension Jason Witten) and Jerry Jones.

Look at the Cowboys record.  They are horrible even though they have all that talent.  Coaches and DCs go in and out the door.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dallas_Cowboys_seasons

They will never win as long as Romo sits to pee is there.  The guy doens't take any responsibility for losing and collapsing and is more interested in being a celebrity then winning games and being a team leader.  Football is the ultiamte team game.  And the Dan Snyder fans want to emulate the Cowboys and Jerry Jones?  This is the true sickeness.

Snyder could never of had any type of relationship with any player since he's been owner and it wouldn't matter. His rosters have usually been slighty above average to downright terrible on every team he has had. Every playoff team he has had follows the same scenario. Struggle all season then go on a 2nd half run to get in the playoffs with 9 or 10 wins only to get bounced in the WIldcard or Division round. This has been his real failing as an owner, not hiring a person that can actually put teams together and letting that person hire the coaches and pick the players. The media driven bs about his player relationships are irrelevant.

I agree with this.  And by extension, he trusted Shanny to be the GM/Coach and Shanny failed.  If we want to blame Danny for misjudging Shanny's ability to turn this team around, I can go with that as a criticism.  But the idea that its Danny's fault that the current team is so abysmal -- and Shanny isn't the main culprit for the teams failures - seems absurd IMO.  

Yikes!  I can't stand UnWise Mike and have never agreed with a single article he's written.

But I agree 100% with everything he wrote here.

Regardless, he's never gonna sell.  Which means I have no hope for this franchise for the rest of my life since Danny is younger than me and will likely outlive me.

And that really saddens me.

And where is the evidence Snyder forced Shanahan to draft Griffin?

We have no proof, but think about it.  It really does wreak of a Snyder move -- trading three draft picks.  I choose to believe it.

Shanny deserves a good portion of the blame for where this team is right now, but at the consistent core of this debacle is Danny boy.

After this game of chicken plays out between Shanny and Danny I pray that a strong GM is hired that in turn chooses and hires the next coach.  But I fear even with a proper org structure he'll find a way to meddle.

<sigh>,.........

Archived