Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder The Real Problem: Not RGIII Not Shanahan

You'reNext

http://www.csnwashington.com/football-washington-redskins/talk/redskins-say-special-teams-struggles-are-about-effort

“You got to put people who are hungry, who want to make plays, who are in a position like me and like Reed [Doughty] and [Trenton Robinson] and Josh Hull, guys who don’t really have a large role on offense or defense, so … you want to show that hunger on special teams. Because that’s what special teams is: a bunch of guys who want to prove themselves to get on the field on offense or defense. And right now you don’t have that.”

Paul added: “I think we need people to understand their role on this team. I do think there are too many guys who think they are too good for special teams. You can’t have that.”

This is pretty bad stuff. There is no question now that the coaching staff has to go and it starts at the top. The players, granted its just one in this case but I would be surprised if he is alone in feeling this way, don't feel like they are being put in a position to win. This is how you lose a team as a coach, hold no one accountable.

I'm no huge fan of Dan Snyder. But please someone tell me, aside from this RGIII relationship, what has Dan done so poorly as an owner during Shanahan's reign to make people feel it's more his fault than Mike's? Please detail.

Not hiring a GM and letting the coach pick the players.

I'm no huge fan of Dan Snyder. But please someone tell me, aside from this RGIII relationship, what has Dan done so poorly as an owner during Shanahan's reign to make people feel it's more his fault than Mike's? Please detail.

It's both their faults.  They both need to go.  Blow it up!

Checking twitter and seeing the vitriol aimed at Shanahan blows my mind. I'm no fan, but how Dan is getting a pass in all this is beyond me.

I really am starting to question some well known twitter sources and what their motives are. This is 100% Dan Snyders mess. 100%. Shanahan is merely a symptom. Nothing more

Oh come on Zoony, 100%? Shanahan has made major mistakes...trading for Jamaal Brown and Donovan McNabb, giving Haynesworth a $20 mil. Bonus instead of walking away from him, employing Haslett, employing Burns, giving Josh Morgan a sizable contract, refusing to bench Chester, Polumbus or Kory L., keeping Sav Rocca etc.

Shanahan had a clean slate to work with and instead of trying to rebuild he immediately made the move for McNabb which resulted in McNabb being the scapegoat for that disastrous situation. He did the same crap to Jake Plummer and I guess he's trying to do it to RGIII on his way out.

Oh come on Zoony, 100%? Shanahan has made major mistakes...trading for Jamaal Brown and Donovan McNabb, giving Haynesworth a $20 mil. Bonus instead of walking away from him, employing Haslett, employing Burns, giving Josh Morgan a sizable contract, refusing to bench Chester, Polumbus or Kory L., keeping Sav Rocca etc.

Shanahan had a clean slate to work with and instead of trying to rebuild he immediately made the move for McNabb which resulted in McNabb being the scapegoat for that disastrous situation. He did the same crap to Jake Plummer and I guess he's trying to do it to RGIII on his way out.

Do you blame the DUMMY that allowed that to happen?  Or the DUMMY who allowed the DUMMY to stay for 4 years?

Snyder has had 1 winning coach, Norvel Turner.  Who is the DUMMY?  The fans or Shanny?

I vaguely remember reading a story back when Shanahan was hired that one of the prerequisites for taking the job was for Snyder to not coddle any players.  Portis was still on the team and Shanahan knew about Portis's special status with Snyder.  Shanahan wanted a layer between players and the owner.

If that's the case...then I can assume that Shanahan went to Snyder about this and got rebuffed.  You can't built a team with an owner who shows favoritism because it divides that locker room and enables the owner's pet to feel above any accountability.

Anyone with a brain could see this coming after the year of drama in which RG3 keeps talking to the press in subtle ways to undermine the coaches.

This is on Snyder....he didn't keep his end of the deal that brought Shanahan to Washington.  RG3 is now toxic since the team will now resent him for running off the best coach the Redskins will be able to get....because alot of players and coaches are now going to be out of jobs in a few weeks all because of one formerly gifted player thought he was above everyone else 

Well, it was intimated that The Dan might have something to do with the Shanahan story today. Other than that, I thought he was doing it right with Shanahan. We weren't hearing his name all the time like before.

Not true.  George Allen made the Skins NFC Champions and got them to the Super Bowl.  So that's hitting the jackpot.  Then you have Pardee and Gibbs (Jackpot again).  So that's max 3.

Snyder will be on 6.  That's a difference of 3 regimes.

Of course Allen was successful with an NFC Championship and a few 1 and out playoffs. Just part of the line as we also won a couple of NFCE Championships with Turner and Shanny (no, I'm not comparing an NFC with a couple of NFCE's). I meant UNTIL we WON a SB. Anyone on this board who has never experienced a Redskin SB victory knows what I'm talking about (and for that matter any Vikings and Bills fans). And I meant up UNTIL Gibbs 1 (which meant Pardee... NOT Gibbs 1). That's four and five (actually still four since it was Cooke who hired Turner... and also not including Lombardi and Gibbs 2)... a difference of 1.

Anyone on the board old enough to have remembered the 'Skins 2 pre-superbowl era NFL championships? How come those are not displayed along with the Lombardi trophies? Do they no longer count?

Green Bay is commonly referred to as "title town" but a big part of it has to do with all the success they had prior to the Superbowl era.  Are they the only franchise that gets to count those titles as part of their loot?

Not hiring a GM and letting the coach pick the players.

I'll give you that. That was a poor decision. But that wasn't my question. What has he done DURING his regime that makes him such a poor owner? He's given Mike everything he's asked for(facility upgrades, etc.) And he has more or less stayed in the background. Maybe it was a poor decision to give Mike this authority. But it was given to him. And he has failed mightily. And that is on him, not Daniel Snyder.

I feel like this team is in a vicious cycle.

I doubt seriously that a good coach would ever come here without total control.  That's because of the way that Snyder has acted when he's had any type of influence or actual say on running the club.  So we get these guys for HUGE money whom, let's be honest, wouldn't be here if they weren't getting paid tons.  They run everything and it almost becomes a single point of failure.

I wish people would stop pining for this coach or that one.  Get a GM in here who isn't an complete egomaniac, knows something about running an organization and evaluating talent, one that doesn't sound like a damn PR machine every time he opens his mouth and let HIM pick a coaching staff.    

I'll give you that. That was a poor decision. But that wasn't my question. What has he done DURING his regime that makes him such a poor owner? He's given Mike everything he's asked for(facility upgrades, etc.) And he has more or less stayed in the background. Maybe it was a poor decision to give Mike this authority. But it was given to him. And he has failed mightily. And that is on him, not Daniel Snyder.

Well based on our "insiders" tweeting and podcasts, he allowed the inmates run the asylum. 

That doesn't fit chipwich (and FuriousD and thomaroane) and his narrative, though.  No one would argue at this point that hiring Shanahan without an independent GM (which is something many of us wanted at the time, knowing HC/GM rarely works out) wasn't a mistake but it seemed he felt pressured into it by perception of his past behavior, to give credibility to the franchise and to declare to the football world that "I am not in charge, This guy (Mike) is!"  Again, this is a mistake but if the product on the field stinks it's because of Shanahan.

IMagine, for a moment, that Shanahan was a superlative coach here, one who looked better than he did in his glory years with Denver and he brought in innovative and disciplined staff who set the world on fire (as opposed to Burns and Haslett, for example.)  This team would be a winner, even with some sort of too-cozy relationship between Griffin and Snyder. 

This means that the product on the field is on Shanahan, NOT Snyder.  But to admit that would not fall into the anti-Snyder camp.  I will join people in criticism if they do not hire a GM (or if Bruce is not then elevated, at least.)  

Mike's share of the blame: sucking at coaching, sucking at personnel, sucking at coordinator hires, sucking at protecting his franchise QB (oh wait, it was Danny who told Shanny to leave him out there limping, right), sucking at adjustments, sucking at clock management, etc etc

Dan's share of the blame: Hiring Mike Shanahan.

Well based on our "insiders" tweeting and podcasts, he allowed the inmates run the asylum. 

Who allowed the inmates to run the asylum? Isn't that on the head coach? Was it not Shanahan's job to run the team? And if he wasn't how is that on Snyder and not Shanahan?

Lavar ran it during Gibbs, is that what you're saying?

Jesus Christ, retire for the night, please. And there's a difference between inappropriate relationships and coaches having no control, these stories get out there to make people look bad, justify poor performances or poor coaching and are often not remotely the entire truth.

Lavar ran it during Gibbs, is that what you're saying?

Jesus Christ, retire for the night, please. And there's a difference between inappropriate relationships and coaches having no control, these stories get out there to make people look bad, justify poor performances or poor coaching and are often not remotely the entire truth.

NO, Lavar was the DRAMA during the Gibbs years.  I could spell out the DRAMA for you EVERY year if you like.  I don't know any other team that has our level of DRAMA.  You might offer up otherwise.

I was thinking about posting a new thread, but couldnt tell or remember if this link had been posted and tried to search, but this article is great!

Mike Shanahan's Brilliant Last Act As Redskins Coach; Making Everyone Forget He Sucked.  By- KC Clyburn

http://httr24-7.com/blog/mike-shanahans-brilliant-last-act-as-redskins-coach-making-everyone-forget-he-sucked/

Archived