Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder The Real Problem: Not RGIII Not Shanahan

You'reNext

Hey.  How's everyone doing?

My opinion is that it's 99% Snyder's fault.

Shanahan is the 7th head coach under Snyder.  The dumpster fire we are seeing now has happened 3 times before with different coaches under Snyder.

It was Snyder who traded all the draft picks to the Rams for RGIII.  He traded the draft picks to Philly for McNabb and made Haynesworth the highest paid D-Lineman in NFL history.  After Shanny cut him, he was immediately cut by New England and than Tampa Bay.

This circus has been going on for a while.  This is nothing new.

Don't get too excited about the next head coach.  Everyone knows what's going on here. The next head coach will 100% realize this is a no win situation and will only be in it for the money.  Nobody with any pride or self-respect will ruin their career and reputation coaching for the Redskins.

I don't love Shanahan or think he a good coach one way or another.

However, after 15 seasons, I feel the issue here is something other than head coach.

If owners could be fired, Snyder would have been years ago.  He's been learning on the job at our expense - literally-for years.  And what has he learned?  The answer was on display yesterday at Fed X field.   His arrogance has infected this franchise from day one.  Little Big man deserves no more free passes.

Hey.  How's everyone doing?

My opinion is that it's 99% Snyder's fault.

Shanahan is the 7th head coach under Snyder.  The dumpster fire we are seeing now has happened 3 times before with different coaches under Snyder.

It was Snyder who traded all the draft picks to the Rams for RGIII.  He traded the draft picks to Philly for McNabb and made Haynesworth the highest paid D-Lineman in NFL history.  After Shanny cut him, he was immediately cut by New England and than Tampa Bay.

This circus has been going on for a while.  This is nothing new.

Don't get too excited about the next head coach.  Everyone knows what's going on here. The next head coach will 100% realize this is a no win situation and will only be in it for the money.  Nobody with any pride or self-respect will ruin their career and reputation coaching for the Redskins.

I don't love Shanahan or think he a good coach one way or another.

However, after 15 seasons, I feel the issue here is something other than head coach.

I don't buy most of this but to play along:  If so Shanny definitely needs to go.  If he didn't want RG3, then it takes away the only good thing that happened during his tenure the division win -- that was almost all RG3 and Morris, the defense stunk last year, too, etc.  And we should give kudos for Danny for stepping in and helping Shanny in spite of himself to have at least a little success in his tenure.  

I'd gather Danny insisted Shanny hire Keith Burns.  I would assume its Danny calling in to Shanny during the game and is steering Shanny wrong in making all those comically bad clock management mistakes.   And as for Shanny's perpetually bad defenses, rumor is Danny started that whole drill back when Shanny was in Denver -- at the owners meetings, rumor is Danny was drawing defensive plays for Shanny on his dinner napkins and giving him suggestions for who should be his defensive coordinator.  

Yeah its in his contract that Shanny has full control.  People who know him say that if anything Shanny is a control freak, dictator type.  Even his closest friend in the media, Schefter, says he was not just on board but excited to acquire RG3.   But that's all wrong.  Deep down Shanny is weak willed, softy-- Danny pushes him around, and tells him who to acquire. 

If I was the owner and the coach and GM came up to me and said they wanted to trade 3 1st round picks and 1 2nd round pick to the Rams for their 1st round pick so we can daft RGIII, I'd not only fire both of them on the spot, but call the local Psychiatric hospital. 

If I was the owner and the coach and GM came up to me and said they wanted to trade 3 1st round picks and 1 2nd round pick to the Rams for their 1st round pick so we can daft RGIII, I'd not only fire both of them on the spot, but call the local Psychiatric hospital. 

How are the Browns doing, anyway?

Has anyone heard anything about Danny bringing in someone from the outside to be GM?

I keep hearing Morocco Brown promotion.

I can't imagine a GM with less power and influence than Morocco Brown.

We need someone from the outside who Danny has to have and empowers.

I don't buy most of this but to play along:  If so Shanny definitely needs to go.  If he didn't want RG3, then it takes away the only good thing that happened during his tenure the division win -- that was almost all RG3 and Morris, the defense stunk last year, too, etc.  And we should give kudos for Danny for stepping in and helping Shanny in spite of himself to have at least a little success in his tenure.  

I'd gather Danny insisted Shanny hire Keith Burns.  I would assume its Danny calling in to Shanny during the game and is steering Shanny wrong in making all those comically bad clock management mistakes.   And as for Shanny's perpetually bad defenses, rumor is Danny started that whole drill back when Shanny was in Denver -- at the owners meetings, rumor is Danny was drawing defensive plays for Shanny on his dinner napkins and giving him suggestions for who should be his defensive coordinator.  

Yeah its in his contract that Shanny has full control.  People who know him say that if anything Shanny is a control freak, dictator type.  Even his closest friend in the media, Schefter, says he was not just on board but excited to acquire RG3.   But that's all wrong.  Deep down Shanny is weak willed, softy-- Danny pushes him around, and tells him who to acquire. 

Morris was a Shannahan find.  I don't think there's any dispute about that.  That's all a result of Shanahan being able to identify running backs that can take advantage of Shanahan's small mobile offensive lineman zone blocking system.

So according to you last season was all RGIII and Morris (and Morris was all Shanahan).  So you aren't making any sense.  The lengths that the Dan Snyder supporters will go to back their hero is comical.

Snyder owns like 10% of the redskins. the rest is owned by partners and levied under the mortgage to buy the team.   Maybe it would be better if he wasn't the "public" or managing partner. 

So if fans stop subsidizing the team and boycott Snyder and partners' businesses they may not be able to pay their loans and will be forced to sell the team.

I honestly think that moving the stadium back to DC and out of that god-foresaken hell hole in Landover (Raljon) would make a huge difference in the hearts and minds of fans.  It's hard to connect with a team when the fans are so divorced from the game day experience and the commute back and forth from the stadium is so miserable.  

It would be great to bring it back to D.C. but it's not going to happen.  The Redskins are fighting with the Ravens for the younger generation of Maryland fans (who never experience the Super Bowl Skins teams) so you need to keep the battle lines around Landover.  

Morris was a Shannahan find.  I don't think there's any dispute about that.  That's all a result of Shanahan being able to identify running backs that can take advantage of Shanahan's small mobile offensive lineman zone blocking system.

So according to you last season was all RGIII and Morris (and Morris was all Shanahan).  So you aren't making any sense.  The lengths that the Dan Snyder supporters will go to back their hero is comical.

Where did I say that Morris wasn't a Shanny pick?  Where have you seen me on this thread complement Danny where you can define me as a Danny supporter?    So your response makes little sense to me. 

I was responding to a post where someone was saying that Danny foisted RG3 on Shanny, Shanny didn't want that trade.    I said if so, Shanny likely wouldn't have won the division that year.  That year it was the RG3, Alfred Morris show.   Yeah Morris is a credit to Shanny, but my point was the rest of the team outside of those two strengths was mostly mediocre to bad.   More specifically, Shanny had his vintage terrible defense that year.  Bad defenses is becoming a Shanny hallmark both here and Denver.    Would the Redskins have won the division based on Alfred alone without RG3, I seriously doubt it.    

What I've said on this thread and others is yeah Shanny knows offense, yeah he can build a running game. So could Norv Turner.  But what else?    Does he put together a good defense?  A good special teams?  Is he good with clock management?  Is the team disciplined/rarely penalized?  Is he a motivator -- in his own book he says hes not.  Is he good at handiling players -- according to Cooley his people skills are lacking.

Yeah if we were hiring Shanny to pick running backs out of the draft and be our offensive coordinator, where he was working under a competent GM and a head coach -- I'd be on board big time.   But he's the head coach and GM, his job is to handle everything.

But yeah no sorry I don't put Shanny's many flaws on Danny.  It's not like there isn't a precedent here -- he was fired in Denver because of his perpetual bad defenses and checkered record with personnel.  The dude has had 1 winning season in the last 7, 1 playoff win in the last 14 years.  He has a long record now of mediocrity -- if people want to hit Danny for hiring a guy who some critics at the time said his best days as head coach are already behind him, I get that.   

Archived