Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder The Real Problem: Not RGIII Not Shanahan

You'reNext

I'll give you that. That was a poor decision. But that wasn't my question. What has he done DURING his regime that makes him such a poor owner? He's given Mike everything he's asked for(facility upgrades, etc.) And he has more or less stayed in the background. Maybe it was a poor decision to give Mike this authority. But it was given to him. And he has failed mightily. And that is on him, not Daniel Snyder.

Snyder upgraded the practice facility, moved training camp, re-sodded the field. These are all improvements that were LONG overdue. There was hardly anything innovative about these improvements and things that people on this very message board had been clamoring for years. Furthermore, it's highly likely that Shanahan had a bit to do with these improvements.

That's what Snyder does, throw money at a problem. That's this team's culture.

Snyder upgraded the practice facility, moved training camp, re-sodded the field. These are all improvements that were LONG overdue. 

That's what Snyder does, throw money at a problem. That's this team's culture.

Are we sure moving training camp was long overdue?  Also, when it comes to the practice bubble and meals, etc. how ELSE would you go about solving the issue without money?  EVEN if you say "hire a GM" and that GM says, "hey we can upgrade our scouting by X degrees" and Snyder does that--um, how is that accomplished without some financial investment?

These criticisms are beginning to sound weird.  Snyder handed over control to "football guys" and had a good PR/Cap and former GM (who still has input apparently, he is NOT just an alumni figurehead) and the product is bad.  What would a change in culture look like and how would one do this without money?

You realize you could be the Bengals or Cardinals and Buccaneers at times, and be cheap as hell? and it held their teams back at times.  

OK. Say Dan Snyder really IS the problem.

Now what? What is anyone going to do about it?

...still waiting.

Dan would not sell this team even if he was offered 10x what this franchise is worth. He won't do it. Even if fans stopped going to the games, that would give him even more motivation to find a way to win.

The reality is, Dan Snyder isn't going anywhere. All we can do is hope he finds a way to put a competent staff/team on the field, with a little bit of luck on the side.

Actually, a lot of luck.

Are we sure moving training camp was long overdue? Also, when it comes to the practice bubble and meals, etc. how ELSE would you go about solving the issue without money? EVEN if you say "hire a GM" and that GM says, "hey we can upgrade our scouting by X degrees" and Snyder does that--um, how is that accomplished without some financial investment?

These criticisms are beginning to sound weird. Snyder handed over control to "football guys" and had a good PR/Cap and former GM (who still has input apparently, he is NOT just an alumni figurehead) and the product is bad. What would a change in culture look like and how would one do this without money?

You realize you could be the Bengals or Cardinals and Buccaneers at times, and be cheap as hell? and it held their teams back at times.

That's what Snyder does. He spends money. I used to think that this was a good thing but I'm starting to become unsure.

It's not like he's even discretionary. He's not frugal. He spends it as he sees fit. Again, I used to think that this was good.

Long time, no post.

I joined this site in 2001, when it was Blade's and others' idea, back when we had threads about the best way to wash the original Extremeskins tshirts.  (Turn them inside out, so the washer keeps from flaking the applicates. Ha!) 

I last posted in 2006.  Kinda got caught up in a site that no one remembers, but one that specialized in Free Agency.  (Hello, I-Heart!  How ya been?)  One that got me into the habit of reading up to 50+ beat reporters around the league.  The site died 4 years ago.  The habit of reading beat reporters did not. 

Over the past seven years, the one true fact that sticks me is that Mr Snyder, despite his promises otherwise, continues to interfere with the football operations of the Washington football team,.... (yeah, I grew up in DC in the 60's and it is offensive.  Ask Charles Mann.  Better yet, look up what he said about the name when Mr. Cooke owned the team.)

Mr Snyder made his money marketing at a time when the internet made marketing a gold mine.  The internet made Mr. Snyder rich, but his work habits remained the same.  A layer of yes men, allowed him to belittle those who did the work.  He shared the hard work of everyone who worked for him,... with himself and his family.   Nice for his family and those who sucked up to him.  Not so good for those who did the leg work.  He was a lousy boss then, and nothing has changed since.

I won't belabor you with his history with this team.  Except to say this: every promise he's made has been broken.

He goes out of his way to let the locals know how much he wants to win.  But I would suggest that there's a difference between WANTING to win and knowing HOW to win. His reliance on marketing over substance proves my point.

Coach Shanahan, for all his short-comings*, has done a creditable job of re-establishing a solid grounding.  (* Um, I read extensively about Coach Shanahan's draft and FA history with the Broncos.  Not good.  Pretty bad, actually.  So those who wonder how the Shanny's would do with a full FA budget should rest assured.  Again, history says, Not Good.) 

But the major point is, that despite Mr. Snyder's promise to keep his hands off the Football Operations, he hasn't managed to do so.   As long as Mr. Snyder owns like a fan, manages like a fan, and counts on a fan base that has long deserted him to make his money, he will fail.

Mark my words:  This team will never win a Super Bowl as long as Mr. Snyder owns it.

As a DC native, one who caught passes from Sonny on the sidewalk in front of Maggie's, this kills me.

Kills me.

Bur I'm old enough to let this team go.

You should consider the same.

Believe me, Mr. Snyder doesn't care about you.

He cares about your money. 

He cares about the "product,"... but not you.

For all his talk,

You aren"t Lavar.

You aren't Clinton,

You aren't RGIII

And because he's more concerned with associating himself with stars than building a team,....

the team is destined to fail.

I've seen many  franchises rise from ashes.  I see this one marketing ashes for a Phoenix that shall never rise.

Sell the team.

Seriously.

Sell the team.

What number does Snyder wear?

Coaches have responsibilities, and players do as well, and in the Chiefs game, the players have simply given up; what COULD Mike do? Sit everyone? What could Snyder do? Be another Jerry Jones and pace the sidelines? Snyder has backed off quite a bit, this debacle is on the players and coaches, moreso players.

Attitude reflects leadership, plain and simple. If the players have quit, then it's because the HC has quit (which sounds to me like he tried as long ago as last season). Is that really the type of people we want leading the team on the field every week? IMO, Snyder is just a checkbook. He's taken a back seat with this last regime and let Allen and Shanahan run the show. He gave Shanny everything he needed to succeed; Shanny has failed miserably and is just trying to deflect blame.

Attitude reflects leadership, plain and simple. If the players have quit, then it's because the HC has quit (which sounds to me like he tried as long ago as last season). Is that really the type of people we want leading the team on the field every week? IMO, Snyder is just a checkbook. He's taken a back seat with this last regime and let Allen and Shanahan run the show. He gave Shanny everything he needed to succeed; Shanny has failed miserably and is just trying to deflect blame.

Not true, he has once again undermined the Head Coach by having a relationship with a player. Snyder is a cancer to this team that will never go away.

I'll say it 1000 times.  Snyder made his money from grifting and bilking, whether it be his customers or the fans of the Skins.  Put him on a level playing field with 31 businessmen and he cannot compete.  He knows this, otherwise we would not see shenanigans like his salary cap debacle.  We should all be ashamed to have this guy as the owner of the Skins.

I think the OP has it correct. The one common denominator in the last 15 years of mediocrity at best is Snyder.  Even if it is true that Snyder has reduced his micromanaging ways in recent years, the infected culture within this organization obviously still remains, and that starts at the top. It just seems too coincidental that teams with micromanaging owners (like Skins and Cowboys) consistently find ways to minimize their talent and lose games, whereas teams that are well run like the Ravens seem to always find ways to win and maximize talent. 

Sad to think in today's NFL where teams can turn things around quickly that this once proud franchise has only scraped into the playoffs a few times on the back of improbable winning streaks. So sick of the Skins being more of a soap opera than a football organization. I really have no hope for anything more than a random playoff run every 5 or so years so long as Snyder remains owner. At this point I would give about anything to have an owner like Bisciotti.

Liked this tweet.  It's all Shannys fault LOL

Dan Steinberg @dcsportsbog 1m

Redskins reached double digit losses for the 7th time in 11 years. (Via @stevechenevey)

We can pretend that the Redskins never did poorly until Snyder bought the team, but it's simply not true.   After Gibbs I retired and before Snyder became owner, we were bad.  Some seem to forget that.  It's like many fans feel like we were a consistent playoff team that fell off a cliff once Snyder became the owner.

'93 4-12

'94 3-13

'95 6-10

'96 9-7

'98 8-7-1

This current mess is on Shanahan.  Period.  Snyder gave Shanahan everything he asked for.  Shanahan failed.

We can pretend that the Redskins never did poorly until Snyder bought the team, but it's simply not true.   After Gibbs I retired and before Snyder became owner, we were bad.  Some seem to forget that.  It's like many fans feel like we were a consistent playoff team that fell off a cliff once Snyder became the owner.

'93 4-12

'94 3-13

'95 6-10

'96 9-7

'98 8-7-1

This current mess is on Shanahan.  Period.  Snyder gave Shanahan everything he asked for.  Shanahan failed.

That was a transitional period after Jack Kent Cooke had personal problems with his crazy 4th wife and whe he went senile and died and his son was in control.

It's equivalent to the last years of Jerry Buss when he was technically owner but was on his hospital bed for his last years and the Buss son and Tripuca were effectivley running and ruining the franchise.  Once the main man is gone these empires usually crumble quickly.

If you read my posts, I never pretend anything.  I know what we did after Gibbs left.  John Kent Cooke was kind of half assed running things, then JKC dies, and the team was in turmoil.

Let me fix this for you.

This current mess is on Shanahan and Snyder.  Period.  Snyder gave Shanahan everything he asked for.  Shanahan failed.  Snyder failed.

Yes Shanny failed.  I get that.

IT'S NOT WORKING.

4 years ago we sent our fan cards to Redskins park to revolt against Snyder.  4 years later we aren't any better off.

IT'S NOT WORKING.

That falls on the owner.  I promise you I would have been smart enough 4 YEARS AGO to not hire Shanny as head coach and GM.  Snyder wasn't and we have no sense anything has changed.

The totality of not working is on 1 persons shoulders.

'93 4-12

'94 3-13

'95 6-10

'96 9-7

'98 8-7-1

This point is one of the lamest I've heard over the past couple days. Lots of teams have periods of not being good. But most teams don't have the three ring circus that always seems to be around anything Snyder has touched since buying the team. I'd be ok if our players, GM, or coaches were just crappy because ownership can just move on from those mistakes.

We cannot move on from Snyder. Super weak.

As long as the fans continue to support Snyder and the organization is profitbale the Redksins will continue to be the lovable losers like the Chicago Cubs orgnization.  There will be no reason for him to change what he is doing.

Man, if we were "lovable losers" this would not be as bad ... we are villains. We are loathed by the rest of the NFL and fans. 

Snyder in a few short years stamped out our history of being a proud franchise. 

here is my .02 http://es.redskins.com/topic/374922-chalk-talk-no-x-o-talk-but-im-chalk-full-of-positivity/#entry9661531

Archived