Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder The Real Problem: Not RGIII Not Shanahan

You'reNext

If you read my posts, I never pretend anything.  I know what we did after Gibbs left.  John Kent Cooke was kind of half assed running things, then JKC dies, and the team was in turmoil.

Let me fix this for you.

This current mess is on Shanahan and Snyder.  Period.  Snyder gave Shanahan everything he asked for.  Shanahan failed.  Snyder failed.

Yes Shanny failed.  I get that.

IT'S NOT WORKING.

4 years ago we sent our fan cards to Redskins park to revolt against Snyder.  4 years later we aren't any better off.

IT'S NOT WORKING.

That falls on the owner.  I promise you I would have been smart enough 4 YEARS AGO to not hire Shanny as head coach and GM.  Snyder wasn't and we have no sense anything has changed.

The totality of not working is on 1 persons shoulders.

You've pretty much have come across as blaming Snyder for this in most of your posts.  You have spammed the same tweet in different threads.  You have yet, from what I've seen, provided any evidence that Snyder has meddled during Shanahan's reign.  Show me that Snyder was a fault for the smallest oline in the league.  Show me that it was Snyder who wanted to implement the 3-4.  Show me that it was Snyder who was in charge of who we drafted.  Show me that it was Snyder who decided what FAs we signed.  Show me something where Snyder denied Shanahan a request that would help the team. 

If you want to criticize Snyder for making a bad decision when he hired Shanahan and gave him GM powers, then fine, but don't act like Snyder has been this meddling owner the last 4 years because he hasn't. 

We can pretend that the Redskins never did poorly until Snyder bought the team, but it's simply not true.   After Gibbs I retired and before Snyder became owner, we were bad.  Some seem to forget that.  It's like many fans feel like we were a consistent playoff team that fell off a cliff once Snyder became the owner.

'93 4-12

'94 3-13

'95 6-10

'96 9-7

'98 8-7-1

This current mess is on Shanahan.  Period.  Snyder gave Shanahan everything he asked for.  Shanahan failed.

This mess is on Snyder.  Do you mean to tell me there is nothing to the RG3/Snyder rumors? Of course there are ... when on god's green earth could a rumor like that ever survive on another team? Why would it ever be leaked and if so, how could it have enough legs if there was some element of truth to it.  

This is all on Snyder, all of it. 

Plus, those records you are flashing are showing a trend ... by the looks of it, the team was getting better. 

You left off 1999?? Why?? Snyder singlehandely squashed what little momentum Norv and that team was building, he turned around and the same thing Marty. 

If you want to criticize Snyder for making a bad decision when he hired Shanahan and gave him GM powers, then fine, but don't act like Snyder has been this meddling owner the last 4 years because he hasn't. 

I didn't say he was a meddling owner for the past 4 years.  Pay attention.

What I said was his record as owner speaks for itself and what he does isn't working.  Shanny has been a disaster, that falls on the owner.  He was stupid to give him full control in the first place.

I still feel his interactions with the players are inappropriate.  That said, WHEN we become a FUNCTIONAL franchise he can have those types of relationships.

Yes Bob Kraft associates with Tom Brady, he has won SB rings, etc.  More importantly they have a FUNCTIONAL franchise.

EVERY single year since Snyder took over, so big drama queen player/coach rumor takes place.  It's because we are dysfunctional.  I don't know of any other team in the league that is this much of a circus.

This point is one of the lamest I've heard over the past couple days. Lots of teams have periods of not being good. But most teams don't have the three ring circus that always seems to be around anything Snyder has touched since buying the team. I'd be ok if our players, GM, or coaches were just crappy because ownership can just move on from those mistakes.

We cannot move on from Snyder. Super weak.

You're reply is hogwash.  We would've been a circus then if we had the media  we have today.  Times were different then. Today we have a tabloid media.  So you can blow smoke out your ass and ignore the facts, but we SUCKED after Gibbs I and before Snyder.  We had 1 winning season out of 5 years, and we didn't make the playoffs with that winning season.

This mess is on Snyder.  Do you mean to tell me there is nothing to the RG3/Snyder rumors? Of course there are ...

OF COURSE there are.

Same **** different player/coach.

You're reply is hogwash.  We would've been a circus then if we had the media then we have today.  Times were different then. Today we have a tabloid media.  So you can blow smoke out your ass and ignore the facts, but we SUCKED after Gibbs I and before Snyder.  We had 1 winning season out of 5 years.

And our owner was going insane and died.

I mean if you want to back a post, at least let it have some teeth to it.  Your point is silly as a defense.

You've pretty much have come across as blaming Snyder for this in most of your posts.  You have spammed the same tweet in different threads.  You have yet, from what I've seen, provided any evidence that Snyder has meddled during Shanahan's reign.  

Oh give me a break ... 

What in the world has Snyder done for you to absolve himself of his horrible reign?

What more evidence do you need??? What in the world would make you think he has changed ... especially if the product on the field has not changed and as evidence by the ass whoopin yesterday, got worse? 

It's irrelevant, however. The Redskins' problem isn't strictly with Shanahan, or Griffin. It's with the man who hired both: owner Dan Snyder. He is the one name in the middle of this soap opera who did not speak for himself. But he is the one responsible for every other aspect of the day's debacle, of which the 45-10 humiliation by Kansas City was just a small part. http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2013-12-08/redskins-dan-snyder-blame-mike-shanahan-robert-griffin-iii-future-kirk-cousins-chiefs

Listen, if there is ever going to be a choice of who to blame and Snyder is implicated, he should lose, every time, he should be blamed. Solely based on his ownership. 

Snyder is an awful owner. That's fact.

Whether he meddles, interferes, or whatever is irrelevant, as those accusations are only possible reasons as to why he factually sucks as an owner. There could be other reasons, but the fact remains unchanged. He sucks as an owner, and is either unable or unwilling to hire the right type of people, which is his sole responsibility as an owner.

Snyder is not the Problem if he allowed shanny to run the organization. IMO people will never give snyder credit. Everyone just want to plow on Snyder because of this mess. Snyder gave shanny everything he asked in the last 4 years. New Weight room, Bubble, Diet by better chefs, got the team to cities earlier esp west coast games. He moved training camp to richmond, and bought in on the RG3 trade. All were shanny requests and received support from Snyder. 

Shanny was the one won who released the report trying to save is behind. I would keep him here and interview the next coach in the next office.

gortiz, I don't even know where to begin with your drivel. What evidence do I need?  Well, how about you go fetch me some evidence that Snyder has built this current team, because I sure can't find it.  Show me evidence that Shanahan was simply a puppet doing the bidding of Snyder the puppet master.  Show me evidence that Snyder made Shanahan hire Burns and keep Haslett.  Show me evidence that Snyder made Shanahan switch to the 3-4.  Show me evidence that Snyder made Shanahan build the smallest oline in the league. 

This thread is a joke.

You're reply is hogwash.  We would've been a circus then if we had the media  we have today.  Times were different then. Today we have a tabloid media.  So you can blow smoke out your ass and ignore the facts, but we SUCKED after Gibbs I and before Snyder.  We had 1 winning season out of 5 years, and we didn't make the playoffs with that winning season.

We had THREE winning season out of SEVEN before Synder, and one of those years was a NFC East crown. 

1996: 9-7

1997: 8-7

1999: 10-6

You even try to defend Synder and you lose, plain and simple It can be done ... he is without defense.

What more do you need to see? What more does he need to do? 

gortiz, I don't even know where to begin with your drivel. What evidence do I need?  Well, how about you go fetch me some evidence that Snyder has built this current team, because I sure can't find it.  Show me evidence that Shanahan was simply a puppet doing the bidding of Snyder the puppet master.  Show me evidence that Snyder made Shanahan hire Burns and keep Haslett.  Show me evidence that Snyder made Shanahan switch to the 3-4.  Show me evidence that Snyder made Shanahan build the smallest oline in the league. 

This thread is a joke.

You show me evidence that Snyder hasn't built the Redskins program.  You are laughable today War Paint.  WOW.

Snyder is not the Problem if he allowed shanny to run the organization. IMO people will never give snyder credit. Everyone just want to plow on Snyder because of this mess. Snyder gave shanny everything he asked in the last 4 years. New Weight room, Bubble, Diet by better chefs, got the team to cities earlier esp west coast games. He moved training camp to richmond, and bought in on the RG3 trade. All were shanny requests and received support from Snyder. 

Shanny was the one won who released the report trying to save is behind. I would keep him here and interview the next coach in the next office.

Exactly.  Jumping on Snyder and blaming him for this current mess is simply intellectually lazy.

We had THREE winning season out of SEVEN before Synder, and one of those years was a NFC East crown. 

1996: 9-7

1997: 8-7

1999: 10-6

You even try to defend Synder and you lose, plain and simple It can be done ... he is without defense.

What more do you need to see? What more does he need to do? 

Snyder was the owner in '99.

Exactly.  Jumping on Snyder and blaming him for this current mess is simply intellectually lazy.

It's not intellectually lazy, it's downright basic. If you give your keys to someone with a poor driving record, a good set of fingers will be placing blame on you if something happens to that car.

i'm listening to 980 now and loverro is blaming snyder for this latest mess, much like this thread. 

i'm sorry. i just dont get it. 

for YEARS, we, as fans, BEGGED snyder to take his hands of the operation and let football people handle it. four years ago, he did that. he gave shanny the keys to the team and theres zero evidence he made any decisions- shanny picked the players, shanny built this team.

now, people are blaming snyder? WTF? are you kidding?

what a joke.

It's not intellectually lazy, it's downright basic. If you give your keys to someone with a poor driving record, a good set of fingers will be pointing at you as to the reason why the car crashed.

If you give your keys to someone with a poor driving record it's downright STUPID.

Your car is crashed because YOU GAVE HIM YOUR KEYS.

Snyder has been the one constant .... Just like any business you have to look at the top and he is not a good owner and it trickles down. But the blame needs to be spread around...

Some of you think that the next coach will be better ... No he won't because you have to win in spite of Snyder. Also no one with options wants to come here and those that do are foolish(also no art bryles .. No need to coddle rg3 more than he is). Just like our diva Qb needs to be truly humbled , so does this fan base ... We are Oakland east!

This thread is a joke.

amazing, just amazing how people can't read between the lines, make assumptions, fill in the color.  The world is not black and white. 

If you need things delivered to you on a silver platter with instructions on how to use .. I can't help you. World don't work like that. 

Speculation is much more than just speculation when to you take into consideration how horrible of an owner Snyder is and his track record.  He can't be forgiven or given the benefit of the doubt ... 

i'm listening to 980 now and loverro is blaming snyder for this latest mess, much like this thread. 

i'm sorry. i just dont get it. 

for YEARS, we, as fans, BEGGED snyder to take his hands of the operation and let football people handle it. four years ago, he did that. he gave shanny the keys to the team and theres zero evidence he made any decisions- shanny picked the players, shanny built this team.

now, people are blaming snyder? WTF? are you kidding?

what a joke.

Grego ... the point is the report that came out that Snyder favored Griffin, did not show other players equal interest and pissed of Shanahan. 

Why is that report coming out? 

Why would it even have legs? 

Would anything like that ever be considered if Kraft or Mara was involved? 

I can answer that … because of Snyder. When it comes to him reports like this just can’t be swept under the rug? Are they gospel? No, of course not, is it smoke leading to a fire, probably. 

You show me evidence that Snyder hasn't built the Redskins program.  You are laughable today War Paint.  WOW.

Okay for starters.....

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2010/aug/27/top-to-bottom-shanahan-takes-charge-of-redskins/

So Shanahan is in charge _ in full, unyielding charge _ of one of the most storied organizations in the NFL, having been given contractual control by Dan Snyder, who seems to really, really mean it this time when he says he’s become a hands-off owner. Gibbs, though in the Hall of Fame, never wanted his picture on the front of the media guide, but Shanahan is there in grand style _ holding a football while lined up ahead of the Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument and U.S. Capitol.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4820872

On Haslett.

Haslett is expected to bring a 3-4 look to the Redskins defense under new head coach Mike Shanahan. The two spent a lot of time during Shanahan's season away from pro football discussing the possibility of having Haslett on his staff.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/02/11/redskins-hire-keith-burns-as-special-teams-coach/

On Burns.

One of Mike Shanahan’s old players is one of Mike Shanahan’s new assistant coaches.

Mike Jones and Mark Maske of the Washington Post are reporting that the Redskins have reached an agreement with Keith Burns to become their new special teams coach. The job was vacated earlier in the offseason when Danny Smith left Washington for the same position with the Steelers.

Burns has been on Denver’s staff since 2007, so it isn’t the first time that he’s worked under Shanahan.

Then we have Bobby Slowik who Bronco fans hated.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/mike-shanahan-believes-bob-slowik-will-give-linebackers-a-boost/2012/01/24/gIQApo71NQ_blog.html

Mike Shanahan believes Bob Slowik will give linebackers a boost

Washington Redskins coach Mike Shanahan expects Bob Slowik to make a smooth transition from defensive backs coach to linebackers coach and believes the 18-year veteran can help bolster Washington’s deepest position.

Redskins' safety Reed Doughty, left, talks with then-defensive backs coach Bob Slowik, right, during Redskins training camp last August. (John McDonnell/The Washington Post)Slowik, who worked for Shanahan in Denver from 2005 to 2008, coached Washington’s defensive backs the last two seasons

And of course, we have Kyle Shanahan, his son. 

You can clearly see that Shanahan has built this team.

Grego ... the point is the report that came out that Snyder favored Griffin, did not show other players equal interest and pissed of Shanahan. 

Why is that report coming out? 

Why would it even have legs? 

Would anything like that ever be considered if Kraft or Mara was involved? 

I can answer that … because of Snyder. When it comes to him reports like this just can’t be swept under the rug? Are they gospel? No, of course not, is it smoke leading to a fire, probably. 

IF its true, worst case scenario, dan is buddies with griff. 

and this means the team is TERRIBLE?- all caps because the team is in fact terrible beyond words. Offense sux, Defense sux, ST clearly sux. 

the product on the field is terrible. 

and its terrible cuz griff has lunch with snyder once a week?

i dont believe that. 

btw- not saying snyder and griff should be buddies - but i'm saying the state of the product we saw on the field yesterday is on shanny. 

I have never liked Snyder and I will never like Snyder, but he did what all of us wanted and that was to stay out of football operations. He gave Shanny full control (which by the way he was the only way he was coming aboard) and he has failed miserably. His record speaks for itself.

By the way chipwhich. YOU are the one that's laughable today. Not War Paint.

Did Bruce Allen have anything to do with Shanny being hired or no? 

And it is very silly to completely ignore history here. Many of you hate Dan Snyder, its obvious. Many media members HATE Dan Snyder, that's also obvious. Hes is a very easy target. And that's why you guys want the blame to end with him. But unfortunately for your arguments, the man did what every competent owner in the NFL does and took his hand completely off of the process. Gave everything to Bruce Allen and Shannahan and they blew it.

You asked for it. You got it. Don't cry foul now.   

If you give your keys to someone with a poor driving record it's downright STUPID.

Your car is crashed because YOU GAVE HIM YOUR KEYS.

The problem is that Shanahan didn't have a poor driving record.  He had good credentials.  We begged for Snyder to quit meddling, hire football people, and just sign the checks.  That's what he did.  Snyder did make a mistake to give Shanahan full GM powers and control, but at the same time I give Snyder credit for trying to step back from football decisions and let football guys run things.

Archived