Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan Snyder The Real Problem: Not RGIII Not Shanahan

You'reNext

I see where some are suggesting Snyder just sell the team and walk away.

I highly doubt he would do that; he loves the team, and has since a kid. It would be on a level of one of us as a kid dreaming of owning a Ferrari Testarosa, then when you become an adult, and have the money, you go after your childhood dream. I damned sure wouldn't wanna give it up after purchasing it, even though I may not know how to drive it, and that is where the problem rests.

Every team has owner and they are all involved in one way or another with the team; its natural, and understanable. Snyder wants to rub shoulders with players, be involved with player's lives, not to an extent of Jones, but its not unreasonable for owners to interact with players; its the way it is.

The problem can be fixed, and rather easily, even though some may not like it. Snyder owns the team. IF Mike and/or any other coaching staff is let go, whoever fills the spot cannot have the control that was given to Mike, Its been stated that a real GM is needed, and let him find the coaching staff best suited for this team.

But I would bet that IF Mike were to stay, and his overall power was stripped to being HC, and a GM was hired, and everyone was sat down and told 'look, I don't care if you like or hate any person in management, you're hired to do a job, so either do it or we will replace you with someone who will'. 

This is a damned soap opera, not a football organization, and it shouldn't be that way, but when strong minded people are put together, something will go wrong, and its usually the coaches who pay the price for players, whether right or wrong.

Owners own

GMs hire and fire

Coaches coach

Players play

No player should be bigger than the team, and Griffin does have an ego; Mike has an ego, but he coaches, he doesn't play. Snyder has an ego, but its his money invested in the team; difficult to call that one, but watching the KC game, the team just assume be somewhere else, and the responsibility does fall upon the coach, but in reality its the players on the field failing to execute plays, failing to tackle, failing to not overthrow receivers, failing to catch the ball, and so on.

The team needs leadership, and that leadership should have lines it doesn't cross, no matter what; but as its clear to see, lines have been erased, backstabbing, media statements, and dis-likes have torn apart a promising team.

I just hope that WHOEVER the coach is next year, whether it be Mike or whoever, puts their foot down and tells the players exactly how its going to be done, and favortism or partisanship is out the window. this is a damned fiasco way out of hand, and it will probably cost people their jobs, all because of egos, and egos do not win games.

Of course, Synder is not going to sell. But to believe that he will suddenly will stop meddling is delusional. This cycle with repeat every few years no matter who is hired. The only way out is remove Synder. Its a nasty catch-22 

Jerry Jones is rightfully blamed for the struggles in Dallas and Snyder deserves all the blame for 14 years of losing and comic debacle. The franchise is an embarrassment. There is no objective analysis that would not find little Danny as the cancer in this franchise. I mean what else do the Danny huggers need to see the light? It's almost unimaginable that people are defending him.

I'm fortunate to have lived to see this team win 3 championships. Little did I know that, starting in 1999, the team would be forever changed in a shell of its former self.

The Redskins that were a part of the fabric of my being are completely unrecognizable now. Snyder has done what I thought was impossible, he's made the team unlikable. The franchise is so dysfunctional, it's hard to be proud of it the way we were proud of the team in the 80s and early 90s.

I'm fortunate to have lived to see this team win 3 championships. Little did I know that, starting in 1999, the team would be forever changed in a shell of its former self.

The Redskins that were a part of the fabric of my being are completely unrecognizable now. Snyder has done what I thought was impossible, he's made the team unlikable. The franchise is so dysfunctional, it's hard to be proud of it the way we were proud of the team in the 80s and early 90s.

EXACTLY the way I feel.

One of the biggest things tht defined the Jack Kent Cooke/Gibbs organization was the high character of the majority of the team.  They were high quality character intelligent articulate guys and that permeated throughout the organization from top to bottom.

Now it's just about throwing money around to make money.  Take Haynesworth for example.  The guy had a track record of being a extremlely low character guy with violence and anger issues.  Cooke/Gibbs would have never thrown money at Haynesworth.  And that one mistake contiues to damage the organization as Snyder tried to dump Haynesworth's contract during the uncapped year despite NFL sending 6 letters to each NFL team telling them not to dump contracts during that uncapped year.  That low character move by Snyder lead to the NFL penalties which took away 18 million in cap room for the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

The losing culture and low character atmosphere of the current regime and organization is what needs to change.  That is why this current iteration of the Redkins is unrecognizable.

That's why I want a guy like Tony Dungy. High 

The losing culture and low character atmosphere of the current regime and organization is what needs to change.  That is why this current iteration of the Redkins is unrecognizable.

That's why I want a guy like Tony Dungy. Ultra high character guy who will fix the culture. If he can't, nobody can.

If we had an Offensive line that could block, we would be better, If we had  Defense that could get off the field, we would be better, this isnt about coaches or owner it is about the players who are unable to do what is required, at the end of this season i am expecting some changes on the players list, i am not sure that changing the coach is a great idea, unless we are to promote the son to the fathers position and that case who becomes the new OC?

I see where some are suggesting Snyder just sell the team and walk away.

I highly doubt he would do that; he loves the team, and has since a kid. It would be on a level of one of us as a kid dreaming of owning a Ferrari Testarosa, then when you become an adult, and have the money, you go after your childhood dream. I damned sure wouldn't wanna give it up after purchasing it, even though I may not know how to drive it, and that is where the problem rests.

I don't care what you do with your ferrari. It's yours and doesn't really affect anyone else. I DO care about what you do with this team. This is exactly part of the problem. The redskins aren't a toy or a ferrari. It's a billion dollar, living, breathing organism that is in many ways is part of the identity of Washington, DC. Dan's incompetence affects all of us and if, after 14 years, his mentality and approach for ownership is this childhood dream of redskins glory, he needs to sell.

" But then we hear about Robert Griffin III’s car being parked in the bowels of FedEx Field during the game for a painless exit afterward and a longtime employee calling another to say, “The kid’s got a parking space during the game? No one got that.”

WHAT THE ****.

Dan's the problem because he either hires the Spurrier/Zorn types or he gives complete control to the Schottenheimer, Gibbs, and Shanahan types.  Also, has anyone noticed that every coach that Dan has hired has brought his son with them except Zorn (he's is/was in High School).  I imagine Dan laying it on thick in the courting process.  "Sure, you can bring your boy too.  He'll become  a part of the Redskins family."

Dan runs the team like a fan, and like a fan, he is enticed by big names.  Hearing that your next head coach is Spurrier, Gibbs or Shanahan is more exciting than a Pagano.  The next great head coach is probably someone who most of us have never heard of.  That's why he needs to hire a true GM with an eye for talent and good connections around the league.  This Shanahan stuff shouldn't be a surprise.  All of this has happened in Denver.  A smart GM wouldn't have hired him for that reason.

I honestly think that moving the stadium back to DC and out of that god-foresaken hell hole in Landover (Raljon) would make a huge difference in the hearts and minds of fans.  It's hard to connect with a team when the fans are so divorced from the game day experience and the commute back and forth from the stadium is so miserable.  

• 2 weeks later...

There are threads blaming Shanahan, RGIII, RGIII's father, the O-line (for supposedly laying down on RGIII), Kirk Cousins, Kyle Shanahan, Haslett, Washington Post writers, and Redskin fans this week but the main problem is Dan Snyder.

Bring the heat on Snyder, force Goodell to force him to sell the team.  Go to the Green Bay Packer model where the Redskins fans buy shares in the team.  There is more than enough support here for fans to collectively own this team.  Fans can be proactive instead of begging and grovelling King Snyder to fire or cut the flavor of the month year after year after year.

Seems to me like a whole lot of whining about something you have no control over.

You don't like it when he hires big names or the flavor of the day.  You yell, hire someone who knows football and quit changing things every year. 

He hires Shanahan, who was supposed to know football and gives him total control for five years.  In all honesty, Shanny has stunk up the joint.  He brings in terrible coordinators (Kyle - need I say more and Hasnot - who never had a defense of his own that was a top 20 defense) and does not hold anyone accountable.  When was the last time you saw consistent tackling in a game?  How about a streak of games without stupid personal fouls?  Or a season when clock managament wasn't an issue?  All of this crap is on Shanny!  The coach has to hold the his coordinators accountable.  He has to hold the position coaches accountable.  He has to hold players accountable.  (Yes, that means that sometimes players are in the doghouse!  But to be fair, he needs to give them a way to get out)

So, you don't want Snyder to spend his money on the big names, you don't want him to bring in knowledgeable guys and give them control, but you do want him to hire a talent evaluator and hope he knows what the hell he is doing?  And if not, hew should just give up and sell!

You are so full of your own knowledge and skills.  It is easy to sit back and complain.

Does anyone remember that for 4 of the 6 years before Snyder took over that we had losing seasons?

Oh, and one last general statement, you (plural) act as if you have been personally wronged.  Really?!  it is football.  The team you like is owned by someone else.  You have the pleasure of watching others play a game for your enjoyment.  If your outlook on life is terribly affected, I would say you need to find a hobby and gain some perspective.

And, no, you don't have the pull to get the NFL commissioner to force Snyder to sell.  He can't even force him to change the team name.

I honestly think that moving the stadium back to DC and out of that god-foresaken hell hole in Landover (Raljon) would make a huge difference in the hearts and minds of fans.  It's hard to connect with a team when the fans are so divorced from the game day experience and the commute back and forth from the stadium is so miserable.  

That's not gonna happen any time soon.

Some of the fans. I live in the Annapolis area and it takes me 30 minutes to get to the stadium. Not all Skins fans live in Virginia, contrary to popular belief.

Lil' Danny's matured tremendously as an owner in most everything everyone has craved when he handed over control of the football side 4 years back and stepped into the shadows. Hell, by all accounts, the only time he even appears at Redskin Park is for new player introductory signings. His only mistake was being, all be it innocently, TOO trusting in thinking he was doing the right thing in handing over the keys to a 2 time SB winning HC who's been anything but here in DC. 

But at least he's shown to himself that he CAN stay away. Now all that remains is for him to do what he should of done from the get go and this time hand over the keys to a proper football GM, which I fully believe will be the first piece of business on the agenda after he's canned Shanahan in 10 days or so. 

Honestly, at this point, with the COMPLETE full circle change and maturation of an owner who's as big a Redskin fan as ANYONE; I have ZERO problem with the guy owning my team. 

Which is a MASSIVE turnaround from his first 11 years ownership.

Sadly for him, many can't get past the sins of the past. No matter what good he does in the present/ future. 

Hail. 

GHH, you're one of the more outspoken members of the board. I can't say I really agree with your analysis of Snyder, especially compared to your analysis of Shanahan.

It seems to me that you are very willing to lay any and all blame on Shanahan and absolve Snyder of any wrong doing. I think that kind of viewpoint is naive and too black and white. As we all know, shades of gray tell most stories better.

I just can't see it so cut and dry.

Archived