Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chalk Talk: No X & O Talk, but I'm Chalk Full of Positivity!

KDawg

It's been a rough road for us as a fanbase... And I see a lot of negativity here (and for good reason, hello sinking ship).

But, I'm choosing to see things in a brighter light, and damnit, this place needs positivity. So here goes.

Dan Snyder hired the wrong guy.

Dan Snyder made a poor move in giving that guy full control of football operations.

Mike Shanahan made a ton of mistakes (although I still like what he did with Haynesworth). Poor trades, poor hiring decisions, not letting his coordinators pick their staff, poor talent evaluator, didn't build the team properly. He did draft us a franchise QB, picked up Garcon and Morris, and drafted Trent Williams. And, we DID win the division in 2012. It's not all bad.

Dan Snyder came in as a guy who ruled with an iron fist. Schottenheimer, he may have been the best coach we had here was run out of town after an 8-8 campaign. Spurrier was an unmitigated disaster. Zorn was... Well... Zorn. Shanahan, not looking great.

Gibbs should be declared a saint for doing what he did...

The guy we had in a true personnel rule was Vinny Cerrato. And since him we haven't had a real GM.

So, uhhh, man... Great start with my positivity thread, huh?

Well, bare with me.

Snyder has made positive strides. Is he absolved of blame for the last decade plus? Absolutely not. A lot of this falls on his shoulders. Getting rid of Marty was a mistake... But since then, he hasn't fired a successful coach (easy to do when there wasn't much success).

He hired Joe Gibbs because he needed a quick fix for Spurrier to win the fanbase back over. Many think it was a bad move. I don't. It was the most success this franchise has had since... well... Gibbs.

Gibbs left, many note it was to spend time with his grandchild. Whatever the reason, he left on his own.

Enter Zorn. Oh boy. I'm not touching that one.

That disaster needed to be rectified, so he gave Shanahan everything he wanted to right the ship with the fanbase. Mistake. Big one. Left us in this mess.

But, here's the positive spin:

It's entirely possible that this whole issue was necessary for Snyder to grow as an owner.

Perhaps this leads us to a real hierarchy within the front office. A personnel GM, Bruce Allen in the role he's playing now. Then, in conjunction with Dan Snyder, they hire our next head coach.

Structure. Checks. Balances.

This could be the beginning of something beautiful.

And damnit, that's the route I'm taking. Who's with me!? (If you're not, please refrain, this has been the only thing that has prevented me from being very sad) :)

The glass half full is that we DO have talent. 

On offense we have all the important building blocks to be a very very good offense. Franchise QB and LT, very good (if not quite elite), WR, Pro Bowl Calibre RB, excellent young pass catching TE. We need to switch up the running system IMO to incorporate power concepts as well as some ZBS and get bigger and better up front. Get the right OC and a full offseason working with RGIII and we should be more than fine on that side of the ball.

On defense pickings are slimmer and a infusion of talent is needed starting with a true NT (assuming we stick with the 3-4). We have two good (if not elite) OLBs and some talent at corner in Hall and Amerson. Apart from that NT we need to replace Fletcher (the version from 3 years ago not what we have right now), add two starting safeties and a starting corner to allow Amerson more time to develop.

We then need a coordinator who can get the best out of whatever talent we put on the field.

Finding 5 starters on defense and at least 2 maybe 3 on offense is a tall order for one offseason with no first round pick. No impossible though given we have some cap space back.

The biggest need of all though is a true GM to pick the coach and find the players who fit what that coach wants to run. The HC should be allowed to hire is own OC and DC and then work with these guys to fill out the staff. Without that GM I fear we just keep going round the same cycle.

I agree KDawg, it's not all terrible. Unlike after Zorn, we'll have some talent still on the roster. We have our franchise LT, our possible franchise QB, one of the best RBs in the league, a WR at/near the top in most receiving stats, a good young OLB, another good OLB that we may be able to bring back at the right price, a young talented TE and a young CB that is improving throughout the season.  

The lesson I think Snyder has learned from all of this is do not let a coach come in here and demand full control. It just doesn't work.

I think it was Destino or SHF, maybe even Bang, but someone had suggested they could see a random, unforeseen health issue coming with old Mike and his very talented son could step up for him. I think this team is legit next season, because we do have talent and a lot of guys who stayed on this sinking ship, for less money, because they believe in us.

I'm with ya KDawg. There is ALWAYS a silver lining. Sometimes you just have to look really hard. There are some great building blocks in place already as MartinC said; both on offense and defense. We absolutely have the personnel to be a .500 team in my opinion. Top tier offense with middle of the pack defense. We just need the right staff that will get the most out of its players. Bring in the right minded coach with the cap space we have, and we can easily fill a few holes and be much more competitive next year. 

Edit: Say what you will, and call me delusional, but I do believe we could be this year's version of the 2012 Chiefs. Might need nothing more than a coaching/philosophy change to come back to what we know we are capable of. 

KDawg - I hope and pray that what you have said becomes reality.  I DO think Snyder has made huge strides as an owner - way more than Jerry Jones or Al Davis.  Those guys can't and couldn't get out of their own way.  I think our owner has really seen the light... at least that's my hope.  This is the second thread or discussion from someone I see as within the "inner sanctum" of what is going on at Redskins Park, so I think there may be some truth to what you say.

It's entirely possible that this whole issue was necessary for Snyder to grow as an owner.

Well, I've always said, Jeruh front loaded his Super Bowls, maybe Danny is doing the opposite ... maybe not?   :huh:

Where there is smoke there is fire ... you will NEVER, I mean NEVER  hear rumors about Steve Bisciotti, or Kraft, or the Rooney's, or Mara's.  YOu will never hear nonsensical and fantastic rumors about Blank or Lurie.  

I know, equivocally, that all of of misery since 1999 has been on Snyder, but now I really know. 

If he was worth his salt, nothing, I mean nothing like what we have heard would come out of Ashburn, but it does, it always does.  The Skins and Snyder are rotten, plain and simple. Rotten at the foundation, that is why this crap (true or false) can be slung around. 

Patriots had one of their star players get involved in a murder scandal that HBO couldn't dream up, and they lost Welker to FA, how did they fare?? Cheifs had a freaking player kill himself in their pakring lot (RIP) how did they bounce back this year?

We lost Sean and made the playoffs, only because we had a freaking Saint as a head coach ...  it's no coincidence at all that only gibbs could produce a "successful" tenure under Snyder, and that's also arguable. 

Only Gibbs could survive and somewhat thrive in this cesspool of an organization. 

In the NFL all teams have talent. I've always felt the difference between the non-super star players on most teams isn't as large as most people think.

The difference in my opinion is coaching/development. Its why a QB can struggle with one coaching staff and have success with another.

Its why the Chiefs can turn around in one season.

I think we underacheived in every direction: personnel, special teams, offense, defense.

I don't think we need a complete tear down. We need coaches that can make the right decisions.

E.g. One mistake I can see from my couch: how much better would the special teams have been by simply making Tana return punts from the start of the season?

Now imagine all the smaller decisions that we can't see? Multiple the PR decision by x10 or x20 x30 and your team is improving.

A DC that knows how to call a 34 and understand how to use personnel...

An OC that is in tune with the QB and knows how to manage personnel and game day adjustments...

Make AJ Smith the GM, he's already a consultant, or make Bruce Allen the GM.

Lets hire a coach and move on.

This whole thing has tempted me to starting a thread regarding putting your feelings/opinions of the Redskins in a song, but I see that TK is awake today, so no need to get any feathers ruffled ! :)

But, the Fixx song 'one thing leads to another' sure comes to mind on this.

So, got a question:

yes, Mike may very well be on the way out, but I haven't seen it happen yet, so maybe there's a 'day of reckoning' happening and everyone is meeting and airing their issues out.

What would it take [seriously ] to get this ship sailing?  IF Mike gave up GM power and one was brought in, AND Haslett and Burns were removed and replaced with the GM's choice, and possibly demoting Kyle's position [ if warranted ]?

Just asking out of sheer curiousity, not siding with anyone above, would/could there be a solution, or is it just too far gone? I know there's been alot of speculation, accusations, etc, but I wonder if all of this can be put aside for the betterment of the team? In the past, with all NFL teams under scrutiny, we've heard of players-only meetings, but I haven't heard of one from this group; that has me wondering who is/if there are actual team leaders, or do they just go with the flow...

In the NFL all teams have talent. I've always felt the difference between the non-super star players on most teams isn't as large as most people think.

The difference in my opinion is coaching/development. Its why a QB can struggle with one coaching staff and have success with another.

Its why the Chiefs can turn around in one season.

I think we underacheived in every direction: personnel, special teams, offense, defense.

I don't think we need a complete tear down. We need coaches that can make the right decisions.

E.g. One mistake I can see from my couch: how much better would the special teams have been by simply making Tana return punts from the start of the season?

Now imagine all the smaller decisions that we can't see? Multiple the PR decision by x10 or x20 x30 and your team is improving.

A DC that knows how to call a 34 and understand how to use personnel...

An OC that is in tune with the QB and knows how to manage personnel and game day adjustments...

Make AJ Smith the GM, he's already a consultant, or make Bruce Allen the GM.

Lets hire a coach and move on.

Yes, agree with all.

The DIFFERENCE is how you hide your weaknesses.

No team is 100% complete, but the way they construct their teams is how they hide their weaknesses.

Pick out any good team out there right now and we can go over where their weaknesses are and how they hide them. 

With us, we aren't built that way. 

We force a system down the throats of the players and force them to play within it instead of putting them in the position to win.

Koshy, fantastic OP my brother.  We needed this.  You'll get a like as soon as my batteries re-charge, there was so much sarcasm in here last night I couldn't resist :lol:

Our O-line sucks, our secondary sucks, we need major help at WR, and we could use at least one great middle linebacker.  Our special teams are historically bad.  We didn't have a first rounder this year and won't have one next year.  The only plus is the $18M spending spree we are going to have.  I'm sad.

Our O-line sucks, our secondary sucks, we need major help at WR, and we could use at least one great middle linebacker.  Our special teams are historically bad.  We didn't have a first rounder this year and won't have one next year.  The only plus is the $18M spending spree we are going to have.  I'm sad.

Nope, we have our first rounder next year. And if it's any consolation... we're so bad that our #2 is almost like a low #1... and our #3 is almost like a low #2... etc.

Oh come on, open up those drapes.

You know what that object is shining through? Sunshine! The world is our oyster! Come on Count Neg-ula, Captain Criticism, Sgt. Semantics... You can't see the light unless you open the shades!

I'll start the process for you:

We DO have a first rounder next year. HOW AWESOME IS THAT?!

We have enough talent to be at least a 0.500 team. It's poor coaching that got us to here.

And hopefully the new folks won't try to burn the house down in implementing their systems.

And as for the draft, we may be just one spot below the place we would be if we'd won the Superbowl. 

Is Dan the only owner that has on office at the team facility that  he pays for?

See?  You miss the point right there.  Who gives a damn what other owners do!?!?  They aren't busy sniffing their player's jocks like Snyder is.  Snyder has shown time and time again that he can't help himself.  He can't keep from treating a select few of 'his employees' like rock stars.  So he does not deserve the benefit of the doubt. 

Shanahan isn't innocent here.  He's as sneaky and underhanded as Dan is.  And Dan is realizing that karma is a **** right now.  It's own fault because he couldn't stop himself from interfering with the relationship between RG III and the coaches.  Even if it was just perceived it doesn't matter.  If not for that Mike would have no ground to stand on. 

This could be the beginning of something beautiful.

And damnit, that's the route I'm taking. Who's with me!? (If you're not, please refrain, this has been the only thing that has prevented me from being very sad) :)

I love the Kool-Aid too, it's the after taste that sucks!

We can't change Danny's nature - - he's toxic. But, if we can get more people in the organization to say "no" then there's hope. Why no one said No to Danny's desire for McNabb is beyond me. Danny needs no men. They can't be weak like Zorn and there has to be safety in numbers, e.g., both a GM and coach saying no is better than just the coach. I don't like the coach wearing all the hats either. So, if there is a sweeping change I hope we get a quality GM first.

The only thing we know about Dan's relationship with Griffin was leaked by a HC who is in total CYA mode.

We have no idea whether or not Dan's relationship with Griffin is too close or not. And I'm not going to believe a media leaked report, I know better then that.

Dan's mistake was trusting Shanahan too much.

Nope, we have our first rounder next year. And if it's any consolation... we're so bad that our #2 is almost like a low #1... and our #3 is almost like a low #2... etc.

I thought our first rounder next year was part of the deal as well. 

Archived