Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chip Kelly. Any Questions? (merged--put your "Chip Kelly" thoughts in here)

Westbrook36

Great points, NCM.  I think Kelly is inventive enough that even he is not mired to his read option system.  I think his basic tenet is to stress tempo and Foles pushes the tempo better than Vick, if the preseason and play clocks can be any indicator.

Make no mistake, the offense is less dynamic without the threat of a QB running.  I think all of us are resigned to the fact that Vick is going to miss some time this year.  Even the most ardent supporters realize that this is a culture building year and an opportunity for Kelly to get his feet wet at this level while determining what he has on the current roster.

I obviously do not believe the QB of the future is on the roster right now.  That being said, I see no reason why this team can't compete for the East this year.  Stripping away my normal post-win bravado, it is obvious this team has issues like any team that was 4-12 the previous year would have.  You can't change a culture that quickly.

As Reilly said in his column today, look for the Eagles to be an attractive option for FA offensive players who want to boost their value in a video-game offensive system.  It is all for nothing if they don't get the right signal caller, however.  If they do, and that is a big if, I think Kelly can take over the world.  :)

Well, considering 9-7 is likely to win the division this season, I think the Eagles have a good a shot as anyone.

Even if Chip's offense is "figured out"  It's not like it is going to be stopped or anything, I think it just might come back down to earth as in not being such an overwhelming advantage, but that doesn't mean it won't be successful.

Should be an interesting season.

New Philadelphia Eagles coach Chip Kelly is the talk of the NFL after his team stormed out of the gate on Monday Night Football.

Kelly joined the Eagles after four years at Oregon — where he gained a reputation as one of the sport's greatest minds.

He popularized a fast-paced, option-based offense that has heavily influenced the rest of college football.

While Kelly's system is unusual by NFL standards, it's not exactly more complex than your average offense.

Very interesting read, but can it sustain in the NFL???

It's always entertaining when people pretty much unknowingly declare that they have no life, for all to see. Seriously, this might top them all. You go all "Undercover!" on a rival message board, spewing mental retardation from the start, no doubt thinking something along the lines of "Ooh! Ooh! I've got them in the palm of my hand!!!" Starting dumb thread after dumb thread, then puling your little WWE swerve, thinking people actually care.

lol. I honestly thought he was a 13 year old and defended him in a thread he started in the stadium (before I saw all the moronic ones he started in the ATN). Sounded all happy go lucky and confident in his team, I felt bad for him! 

Now I'm gonna puke.  :wacko:

I was impressed by what I saw on Monday, but I think I have the same concerns that have already been mentioned.  Can the Eagles offense keep up this pace throughout an entire year?   There are a few major differences between college and the nfl that will make keeping up the pace harder (not sure how many of these have been discussed already):

1)  Roster Size: 80+ in college, 53 (45 active on gameday) in the NFL.   Makes it much harder to rotate players to keep them fresh.

2)  Season Length: 12 in college, 16 in the NFL.  33% more games will mean more wear and tear on the players.   Can be a real issue if injuries start accumulating right before a playoff run.

3)  Player Age:  18-21 in college, 21-30+ in the NFL.  While there are typically much better medical and training programs in the pros (although many college programs are excellent too), the body of a 21 year old is going to recover quicker then the body of a 30 year old.

I'm taking more of a wait and see approach, but I'm not confident it can work all year long.  

I'm still skeptical about the Eagles.  I still want to see how they do when an offense successfully controls the ball and keeps their offense off the field.  Our defense was on the field for too long at the start of the game.  The Eagles had virtually 3 straight series without the Redskins offense being on the field due to our fast turnover. 

Yeah, more I think about this, this game falls squarely on the offense.  People are pretty star struck with Kelly's offense and they should be, but the skins D forced three straight punts in the first half ... their time of possession on the offensive drives after the receiving punts? 4:45 ... TOTAL! One of those possessions was the safety, that drive lasted 11 seconds!! 

We get one or two drives out of those three that goes 4:00 min plus and it's a different game, forget about it we muster a couple of scores. 

So in a way, we can also point to the Eagles D, they did their job. 

But yeah, would love to see a ball controlling offense to slow them down ala Giants/Parcells vs. Bills/K-Gun in the "Wide Right" Super Bowl. 

Eagles are going to score a lot this year. They're also going to lose a lot, particularly in the second half. They simply can't keep up that tempo and expect their defense to be able to hang in there. That's not even factoring in the additional likelihood of injuries. I see a 3-1 start ending in a 5-6 win season.

I believe Kelly when he says all that, and I am sure Vick won the job due to being the better QB.  The question is to what extent does the offense change if Foles has to take over at say Week 10?

I heard He Who Shall Not Be Named from MMQB on with Lavar and Dukes the other day. He said Kelly is comfortable with Foles running the offense. That writer was not really buying that Foles could be the same threat that Vick is. I think if Foles is running that system defenses will ignore all of the option looks which takes a big chunk out of thier system. They will do what Philly did against us, load up on the run and make Foles prove he can hurt you with his legs.

I heard He Who Shall Not Be Named from MMQB on with Lavar and Dukes the other day. He said Kelly is comfortable with Foles running the offense. That writer was not really buying that Foles could be the same threat that Vick is. I think if Foles is running that system defenses will ignore all of the option looks which takes a big chunk out of thier system. They will do what Philly did against us, load up on the run and make Foles prove he can hurt you with his legs.

But, Kelly would be an idiot if he designed his offense/roster without thinking of this.  There has to be allowances for different personnel, different game situations (ahead/behind) and methods to attack different weaknesses, otherwise he's not as intelligent as advertised. 

But, Kelly would be an idiot if he designed his offense/roster without thinking of this.  There has to be allowances for different personnel, different game situations (ahead/behind) and methods to attack different weaknesses, otherwise he's not as intelligent as advertised. 

Right, the options Foles have are still more than a conventional offense. He can run or pass (to either side) so I see it as still a big advantage for the Philly offense. It won't be AS pronounced.

Then again, like we said about Cousins going into the Cleveland game last year...he doesn't have to rush for 75 yards to make the defense respect his legs. If on a 3rd-and-4 Foles is a threat to keep the ball and get the first down, that's enough to work.

I'll give Kelly this much credit - he is (unfortunately) a much better HC than Andy Reid. Reid never would've run the ball down any team's throat and he was putrid at time management. Only thin he got right was hiring Jim Johnson.

Andy Reid minus Jim Johnson is less than Ditka w/o Buddy Ryan.

Yeah, congrats to Eagles and Kelly, but spare us the articles disssecting his "god-like" offense.

The game shows that the Redskins defense was able to stop the bleeding at 12-7 for three straight possessions and in turn the offense scored ZERO points in exchange, not ony that but the drives themselves were either turnovers 3 & Outs, or a single first down.

I don't care what offense you are running, if the defense has to be on the field for that amount of time, you could probably successfully block with a high school O-line.

If you ask me, the time of possession or lackthereof  plus the average starting position for the 'Skins offense in the first half played just a big a part as anything else in the game.

Eagles defense deserves credit for that, no doubt, but the 'Skins offense was just awful in the first half.The eagles defense took a gamble that RGIII was not going to be his 2012-self, and the gamble paid off.  Plays that would normally go for lots of yards were stuffed because there was no fear of RGIII's mobility which took away the stuff that was normally solid. Couple that with RGIII being rusty and not trusting his knee and you had a recipe for a bad performance on offense. And well, it lasted a whole half of a game. So we'll see what happens in the next meeting.

Everyone needs to calm down.  It was one game, his first game no less, it's not surprising that he won.  No one had ever seen what he was going to do before and the Redskins, particularly RGIII, looked rusty coming out of the gate.

That said I like what I saw and I want Chip Kelly to succeed.  He's a breath of fresh air after the Reid era.  Lets see how he looks in a few weeks.  Can't wait to see what Eagle fans are saying after his first loss.  He's going to be so hated.  I bet I'll hate him, too.  I was indoctrinated that way.  Sorry in advance, CHIP

NCM, you must have missed all the quotes from your players on defense talking about how they were confused, tired and just whipped in the first half.  If you want to attribute that to a few turnovers, which happen every game, go ahead.  As a student of the game, I don't see how you can just ignore the mismatches Kelly's scheme provides and did provide against the Skins.  It may be easier to bury your head and say it's not true, and that is your perogative.  :)

What I can't wait for is when a defense holds Kelly under 21 points and everyone jumps on top of the mountains to scream about how X WROTE THE BLUEPRINT TO STOP KELLY'S OFFENSE!!!!

NCM, you must have missed all the quotes from your players on defense talking about how they were confused, tired and just whipped in the first half.  If you want to attribute that to a few turnovers, which happen every game, go ahead.  As a student of the game, I don't see how you can just ignore the mismatches Kelly's scheme provides and did provide against the Skins.  It may be easier to bury your head and say it's not true, and that is your perogative.  :)

What I can't wait for is when a defense holds Kelly under 21 points and everyone jumps on top of the mountains to scream about how X WROTE THE BLUEPRINT TO STOP KELLY'S OFFENSE!!!!

How often does a team have two fumbles, an interception and a safety in one half?  Stop acting like that's a common occurence.

Umm, I clearly said out defense was tired and whipped as a result of being on the field for virtually the entire first half. 

This isn't the only thread we've carried on this conversation so you know by now that I said the the 'Skins offense had such a poor showing that it kept the defense on the field for way too long.

Did you also miss out on Vick's quote saying he was so tired by the end of the first quarter that he thought it was halftme?  So the pace isn't just effecting opposing defense, it is also affecting the 33 year old starting QB.

Not much surprised me about the defense in that game.  I was more surprised at how not like RGIII, RGIII looked, and it had a ripple effect not only on the rest of the offense, but also the defense due to how much time they had to be on the field in the first half due to turnovers and general ineffectiveness.

No head in the sand here! :)

The company I work for is on the NMCI contract and is on the team that just won the NGEN deal. I know the Marine Corps IT system like the back of my hand and there is nowhere on earth a Marine lacks internet access for 15 months.

But the mods let you troll away so who am I to argue?

I'm pretty sure NMCI doesn't doesn't have any assets in Hideuntiltheeaglesseemgoodistan.

Archived