Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chip Kelly. Any Questions? (merged--put your "Chip Kelly" thoughts in here)

Westbrook36

If Alex Smith had any kind of intestinal fortitude, he would have thrown for a mile against the Eagles in that game.  Sadly, he is a coward, and did not pull the trigger against a porous looking secondary bent on stopping the run.  Oops, did I say coward, I meant "game manager".

Chip needs to re-evaluate his offense.  It worked against arguably the worst defense in the league, with Hannibal-like suprise to his benefit - then almost let us back in the game.  For the Philly fans, here is what I mean by Hannibal-like : http://rome.mrdonn.org/hannibal.html

Maybe his players will get better conditioned as the season goes along...I really think he will have to change his pace / scheme in some way due to his players breaking down.

And I still harbor an irrational hatred for the Philly franchise.  That is all.

If Alex Smith had any kind of intestinal fortitude, he would have thrown for a mile against the Eagles in that game.  Sadly, he is a coward, and did not pull the trigger against a porous looking secondary bent on stopping the run.  Oops, did I say coward, I meant "game manager".

Chip needs to re-evaluate his offense.  It worked against arguably the worst defense in the league, with Hannibal-like suprise to his benefit - then almost let us back in the game.  For the Philly fans, here is what I mean by Hannibal-like : http://rome.mrdonn.org/hannibal.html

Maybe his players will get better conditioned as the season goes along...I really think he will have to change his pace / scheme in some way due to his players breaking down.

And I still harbor an irrational hatred for the Philly franchise.  That is all.

Going to be hard judging his Offense with only Jackson & McCoy as legitimate threats on the offense.  If Maclin had played, I think it would be fairer to assess whether or not it would work in the league.  Additionally, until he gets a real QB, it will be hard to tell as well.  I'm willing to give him 2-3 years to acquire players, but they'll have to score well with getting a QB, and quickly.

Additionally, until he gets a real QB, it will be hard to tell as well.  I'm willing to give him 2-3 years to acquire players, but they'll have to score well with getting a QB, and quickly.

you're right about needing a real QB.  In that sense, his offense is like every other offense in the NFL right now, can't work without a good QB.  It's a QB driven league....

I think Kelly's in tough spot.  Realistically, the Eagles fan base isn't used to losing a lot and badly.  Plus the pressure on him is pretty high coming from college and being compared to the rest of the failed college coaches.

And that team has some talent.  He has a choice to play it out and try and improve the roster with the resources he has, which I don't think will happen unless he gets lucky, or to trade/cut guys and take a step back for a year or two to try and build something better and longer term.

I'm not sure if cut Vick and traded others who then went on and were successful other places, while he was winning 4 games of the next two years if he'd survive.

It is easy to go from a team that is really ~4 win team that if gets lucky can win ~7 games to a team that is really ~8 team that if it gets lucky can win ~10 games then to go from a team that is (consistently) a ~11 team that if it gets lucky can win ~14 games.

But sometimes to really go forward (to get to that ~11 win team), you have to go backwards (or get really lucky and get player(s) that are much better than expected).

I fear the Redskins are in a similar place.

One of the problems, I think, with the Eagles hi tempo offense is his players are too old to keep it going.  In college he had 18-22 year olds and a much larger roster to rotate.  In the NFL, he has guys in their 30's that cannot keep that pace up, especially with a smaller roster to work with.  He is going to wear his players out and may not win many more games this year.

Ugly.  Terrible outing by Philly.  I smiled.

Hope we fare better.  Maybe Denver will be so confident over us, we bite them in the butt.

One can hope.

HTTR

One thing I've noticed is that no matter how good or bad we are, we always find a way to play a truly great team close, or even beat them, at least once a season. Hopefully that's the game.

One of the problems, I think, with the Eagles hi tempo offense is his players are too old to keep it going.  In college he had 18-22 year olds and a much larger roster to rotate.  In the NFL, he has guys in their 30's that cannot keep that pace up, especially with a smaller roster to work with.  He is going to wear his players out and may not win many more games this year.

Yep, I think I said pretty much the same thing at halftime of our game against them.

I think the # of plays that are being run are in line with other teams, especially NE.  The real issue is the inefficiency of the plays being run.  With their defense, they had no prayer of winning that game.  But, if/when their O becomes more consistent, it should at least make the games more competitive.  I don't think fatigue is an issue, as it should be affecting the defense more than the offense.  Rather, it's the lack of another weapon at WR and the ability to complete 60%+ of passes.

Archived