Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chip Kelly. Any Questions? (merged--put your "Chip Kelly" thoughts in here)

Westbrook36

That's why Donovan was never embraced in Philly.  He has that passive-aggressive side of him that irritates the crap out of people.

Still, he had an incredible amount of success (thanks to AR, IMO), and we Philly fans will long for the days, if we don't already, of heartbreaking losses in NFCCG.  Crudely put, getting "some" from a 6 on a regular basis is better than celibacy.   :)

You're a standup guy, pointy. Westbrook would do well to take notes on how to be a good poster from you. When he gets back from his latest emergency deployment.

Wow! What a difference three games can make. Chip Kelly's offense came out with a bang against the Redskins and with the help of our team turning the ball over 5 or 6 times helped the Eagles beat the Redskins. Then the wheels came off. Vick looks like the same old Vick that allows the same turnovers because he carries the ball like a loaf of bread and throws ill-adviced passes. Michael Vick is the guy that will make a spectacular play and then throw two INT's or give up 2 fumbles in a game. That is what the commentators meant when they said that Chip Kelly has brought back the "Michael Vick Experience." What you saw the last two games is the true "Vick Experience" and not the one in Washington on opening night. He will continue to break the hearts of Philadelphia fans just like Alan Iverson did for so many years as the face of the Sixers in basketball.

Chip Kelly is a genius and his system was devised from God's mind.  This much is obvious.  But, you cannot run the best system in the world with Mike Vick.  He is just a mental midget.  Mistakes happen in football but your system inherently changes once you get in a 10-0 hole due to ridiculous miscues.

This year's Eagles remind me of Jimmy Johnson's first year with the Cowboys.  They were 7-9, coming off a 1-15 year, exciting, made way too many mistakes, but they had an entire season to see what guys would buy into his system and then he aggressively went out and got "his" players. 

Chip Kelly is a genius and his system was devised from God's mind.  This much is obvious.  But, you cannot run the best system in the world with Mike Vick.  He is just a mental midget.  Mistakes happen in football but your system inherently changes once you get in a 10-0 hole due to ridiculous miscues.

This year's Eagles remind me of Jimmy Johnson's first year with the Cowboys.  They were 7-9, coming off a 1-15 year, exciting, made way too many mistakes, but they had an entire season to see what guys would buy into his system and then he aggressively went out and got "his" players. 

ridiculous. His system is straight wearing that team out. Shady is awesome and that's about it. The eagles will be a 6-10 to 7-9 team for years to come. They're going to regret letting Reid go to the chefs.

That last line is absurd.

Yeah, I agree. I get the dislike for McNabb among Skins fans after what happened here, and I personally think he is a jackass, but I won't let that cloud my judgment when assessing his career (as a whole) as a player. I will also say that the Eagles largely benefitted from Jim Johnson and a weak NFC for the dominant portion of their time together, but McNabb was a very good player there, and that franchise was dead when he and Reid got there. He and Reid (along with the defense) made them a perennial contender.

Yes, they came up short numerous times, and failed in the SB (against a "Free Agent Era" dynastic team), but in this era of parity, as a fan, being a perennial contender... Being one of those teams that always has a shot, is all I can ask for. HOF is out of the question as far as I'm concerned, but I see no reason why he isn't a "Ring Of Fame" caliber player.

The only difference is Jimmy Johnson was a brilliant talent evaluator and motivator. Kelly has an innovative mind he used to put points up with a system predicated on having better athletes than the other team, and when someone turns up with some athletes on defense it looks like the slap stick comedy we have seen for 2 and a half games. Jimmy Johnson recruited in areas nobody wanted to touch, so he had more talent than everyone, but he was a great coach. Kelly is another in the long line of college coaches who dominated the collegiate ranks because of who they were able to recruit, and found life much harder in the NFL. Enjoy, I hope he's your coach for a long time.

I think Chip Kelly would look pretty good in Texas orange.  

He would look good anywhere he can slip some money under the table to get some athletic freaks and dominate a mediocre conference. (Oregon's dominance over the Pac 12 ended when teams started playing defense) As long as he doesn't play the SEC he should do well.

Westy-

1. Albert Einstein was a genius. Chip Kelly is a football coach.

2. In Jimmy Johnson's first year with the Cowboys they went 1-15. 

Michael Irvin was drafted by Landry in 88, Aikman started the entire 1-15 season, Emmitt Smith was there in the 7-9 year, in fact the 1-15 team featured Daryl Johnston, Nate Newton, Mark Stepnopski, Mark Tuinei, Jack Del Rio, Ken Norton Jr, Bill Bates, etc. By the time they were going 7-9 they had made some other key additions such as Jay Novacek.

It is a bit of a misconception that Jimmy Johnson built his team off his one draft and the Herschel Walker trade. Out of his three most important players, he didn't even draft one of them, Troy Aikman came in a year in which they had 3 draft picks, Emmitt in a year in which they had 4, and while they did add pro bowlers such as Russel Maryland #1 overall, Erik Williams, and Leon Lett, their first 5 picks included average but unremarkable players such as Alvin Harper, Kelvin Pritchett, Dixon Edwards, Godfrey Myles, and James Richards.

Erik Williams was a 3rd round steal who was selected after all of the players I just mentioned, and Leon Lett was a 7th round pick out of Emporia State.

My point is, when Jimmy Johnson was going 7-9 he already had a hall of fame quarterback, a hall of fame wide receiver, and a hall of fame running back playing along at least 3 other future pro bowlers on offense. Don't compare this Eagles team to the Cowboys team which was on the verge of wrecking the NFL in the early 90s. You obviously don't know anything about that team and how they were assembled beyond the blurbs which are incorrectly repeated through media outlets which reduce the luck and genius of that specific team build to "The Vikings made a really stupid trade one year and the Cowboys got everybody they would ever need in one draft".

ridiculous. His system is straight wearing that team out. Shady is awesome and that's about it. The eagles will be a 6-10 to 7-9 team for years to come. They're going to regret letting Reid go to the chefs.

I'm not buying the wearing the team out argument. The offense should be quite fresh considering they aren't on the field much. The Eagles probably will struggle for a while Until they get a consistent quarterback that works well in the pocket, makes quick decisions, and most importantly doesn't turn the ball over. As far as Andy Reid he's a good coach if his job consisted of coaching the players and not having any say in player personnel, offense, or defense. If he has input on the latter 3 you have the Eagles of today. I see the only regret coming from Kansas City in the years to come.

Birdlives, I enjoy constructive criticism especially from you because I know you aren't speaking out of hatred for the opposition, but from the wisdom inherited from years of 6-10 7-9. For that, I thank you!

Michael Irvin was drafted by Landry in 88, Aikman started the entire 1-15 season, Emmitt Smith was there in the 7-9 year, in fact the 1-15 team featured Daryl Johnston, Nate Newton, Mark Stepnopski, Mark Tuinei, Jack Del Rio, Ken Norton Jr, Bill Bates, etc. By the time they were going 7-9 they had made some other key additions such as Jay Novacek.

It is a bit of a misconception that Jimmy Johnson built his team off his one draft and the Herschel Walker trade. Out of his three most important players, he didn't even draft one of them, Troy Aikman came in a year in which they had 3 draft picks, Emmitt in a year in which they had 4, and while they did add pro bowlers such as Russel Maryland #1 overall, Erik Williams, and Leon Lett, their first 5 picks included average but unremarkable players such as Alvin Harper, Kelvin Pritchett, Dixon Edwards, Godfrey Myles, and James Richards.

Erik Williams was a 3rd round steal who was selected after all of the players I just mentioned, and Leon Lett was a 7th round pick out of Emporia State.

My point is, when Jimmy Johnson was going 7-9 he already had a hall of fame quarterback, a hall of fame wide receiver, and a hall of fame running back playing along at least 3 other future pro bowlers on offense. Don't compare this Eagles team to the Cowboys team which was on the verge of wrecking the NFL in the early 90s. You obviously don't know anything about that team and how they were assembled beyond the blurbs which are incorrectly repeated through media outlets which reduce the luck and genius of that specific team build to "The Vikings made a really stupid trade one year and the Cowboys got everybody they would ever need in one draft".

I think that you need to revisit the facts.  Jimmy, reluctantly (as is often reported), drafted Emmitt Smith in the 1990 draft.

I think that you need to revisit the facts.  Jimmy, reluctantly (as is often reported), drafted Emmitt Smith in the 1990 draft.

I don't recall Jimmy being reluctant to draft Emmitt. In fact, depending on who you believe, Jimmy ran the draft back then. And he traded up 4 picks to get Emmitt. I would not call that reluctant.

I don't recall Jimmy being reluctant to draft Emmitt. In fact, depending on who you believe, Jimmy ran the draft back then. And he traded up 4 picks to get Emmitt. I would not call that reluctant.

I stand corrected.  While Jimmy did have his eyes on other players higher up in the draft, he wasn't as concerned about his lack of speed (4.6 - 40yd) as I had thought.

Decent article:  http://www.pnj.com/article/99999999/EMMITTSMITH/100806021/Emmitt-Smith-s-perfect-match

Now, to un-derail the topic.  Do you guys think that Kelly will slow things down as the season goes on?  Or will he keep the pedal to the metal?

Brother, you could not be any more off base ... Jimmy's Cowboys OWE EVERYTHING to one trade … and I think you know what I’m talking about.  I don't see Chip being able to pull this off. 

Minny Got

·         RB Herschel Walker

·         Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1990 (54) (Mike Jones)

·         San Diego's 5th round pick - 1990 (116) (Reggie Thornton)

·         Dallas's 10th round pick - 1990 (249) (Pat Newman)

·         Dallas's 3rd round pick - 1991 (68) (Jake Reed)

Cowboys Got

·         LB Jesse Solomon

·         LB David Howard

·         CB Issiac Holt

·         RB Darrin Nelson (traded to San Diego after he refused to report to Dallas)

·         DE Alex Stewart

·         Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1990 (21) (traded this pick along with pick (81) for pick (17) from Pittsburgh to draft Emmitt Smith)

·         Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1990 (47) (Alexander Wright)

·         Minnesota's 6th round pick in 1990 (158) (traded to New Orleans, who drafted James Williams)

·         Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (12) (Alvin Harper)

·         Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1991 (conditional) - (38) (Dixon Edwards)

·         Minnesota's 2nd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (37) (Darren Woodson)

·         Minnesota's 3rd round pick in 1992 (conditional) - (71) (traded to New England, who drafted Kevin Turner)

·         Minnesota's 1st round pick in 1993 (conditional) - (13) (traded to Philadelphia Eagles, and then to the Houston Oilers, who drafted Brad Hopkins)[1]

Now, to un-derail the topic.  Do you guys think that Kelly will slow things down as the season goes on?  Or will he keep the pedal to the metal?

How arrogant is Chip Kelly? That will determine if he decides to keep the pedal to the metal or not. If he wants to force his offense down peoples throat thinking he's right and everyone else is wrong, he keeps going the way he is. But I have a feeling it wont matter because his players and refs will start to drag and they will dictate the tempo.

I have a feeling that Kelly is smarter then that and will adapt. Why do I have that feeling? not a clue

Peyton Manning is about to show them what a hurry up offense is supposed to look like

My expectation is that Manning will be filled with so much indecision b/c there will be so many guys wide open, he won't be able to decide which guy to throw to, and thereby be sacked, fumble the ball to a LB who will score each series. 

Eagles 42

Broncos 41

Because Davis will stop playing defense in the second quarter.

How you figure?

I do not like McNabb at all. But by any measure, he is an all-time Eagle great. He led the team during a dominant run through the division and conference. Not honoring him because he and his teams came up short in the NFC Championship game a few times would be like not honoring Jim Kelly in Buffalo. This was a team honor, it's not like he was inducted into the NFL HOF.

My expectation is that Manning will be filled with so much indecision b/c there will be so many guys wide open, he won't be able to decide which guy to throw to, and thereby be sacked, fumble the ball to a LB who will score each series.

Eagles 42

Broncos 41

Because Davis will stop playing defense in the second quarter.

Sad that because my team sucks so much (yet again) that's all the trash talk I can muster. I have to use the Broncos to trash talk.

Archived