Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Are we playing good or are they just bad?  Hard to tell. 

They played ok. Oilers are projected to be one of the worst teams in the league and it will probably play out that way.

Even though two guys on the 2nd line scored, I wasn't real impressed with the line. Laich's goal was soft and Brouwer's looked like it was a mi**** on a power play. I'm not sure that line really generated any good chances through good puck movement.

I thought the 3rd and 4th lines played well and I like how Schmidt and Oleksy are playing together. I hope they make it tough to have Erskine back on Wednesday.

Power play was dominant.

was the draft format changed?  Would be insane if Edmonton got the #1 overall for the 4th straight year....SMH

A win is a win.  Impressed by Schmitt/Olesky...first time watching Urbom, and he's got some skill.  No need for Erskine to rush back.  Seriously.  If he wants to take the rest of the year off, I'm all for it. 

Oilers have been rebuilding since I was a freshman in HS and still suck 5-6 years later.

Perfect match-up to give our guys confidence as we prepare to welcome NYR (who suck pretty hard at the moment)

The Oilers were in the SCF in 2005-06.  It has only been 9 years for them.  We were in the SCF in 1997-98.

As a side note, we absolutely OWN Edmonton in DC, whether the Cap Center or Verizon.

I thought the 3rd and 4th lines played well and I like how Schmidt and Oleksy are playing together. I hope they make it tough to have Erskine back on Wednesday.

Agreed on both bottom lines but I like this Schmidt kid a lot.  I think it's time to let Erskine go out to pasture.

Someone from Edmonton (beat writer for the Oilers) jokingly tweeted (at least I think jokingly) that the Caps should trade Carlson and a 3rd for Yakupov and then we should just call up Orlov.

Not sure I would co-sign on that immediately. 

Ahh, well then it's that writer's fault for posting rumor as fact.  Unsubstantiated.  It seems Kovalchuk/Radulov have made everyone think Russian players are desperate to find a reason to bolt.

Yeah, I saw it on Yahoo as well. I read the story and it was a whole lot of speculation and very little fact.

Courtesy of "Japer's Rink" we now officially have a "Vinny Cerrato as a Police Officer" - esque moment for George McPhee...

His appearance on "Who's the Boss" back in the day:

nJHai.gif

I can say, at least he's checking someone... leaving his feet... but playing a bit balls out..

Safe to say Ovi is back though. Even if we aren't winning, we're at least kinda fun to watch. The worst thing to be in sports is boring and mediocre.

We'll reel off a winning streak at some point though. Lotta season to play.

Something is weird when I'm the one who is optimistic.

Safe to say Ovi is back though. Even if we aren't winning, we're at least kinda fun to watch. The worst thing to be in sports is boring and mediocre.

We'll reel off a winning streak at some point though. Latta season to play.

Something is weird when I'm the one who is optimistic.

Fix'd

:D

Yeah, Ovie was buzzing last night. Physically and skillfully. That penalty he drew was a thing of beauty. He was hitting, and that mentality trickled down. Bouwer, Chimera, Ward, Wilson and even Erat were finishing checks. When that happens, we will be a very good team. When we come out lifeless and tired, we will be a very bad team.

We better see more of the 88-61 pairing on D. Schmidt has a HEAVY shot that is going to result in a ton of juicy rebounds. And Oleksy is just a smart, sound, gritty defenseman. Something we have been lacking for years.

Agreed, Im liking Schmidt so far.  And I have no idea why anybody would be less than ecstatic about Oleksy, career minor-leaguer turns out to be physical enough to deal with the NHL's powerforwards, smart enough to rarely make mistakes that cost his team games, tough enough to go toe-to-toe with just anybody, and just SOLID enough from a technical standpoint to deal with all but the cream of the crop of the NHL's skill guys (not quite Alzner-level, but Alzner is elite in that category).  He learned a lot in the minors, so that when he came into the NHL, he was already playing like a seasoned Vet.  ANd *gasp* he actually knows how to clear the crease without taking a penalty.  Pinch me, I think Im dreaming, havent been able to say that since Witt was here. 

Maybe not a top 2 defenseman, but probably a top 4 defenseman, and DEFINITELY a top 6 -- we should just go ahead and pencil Oleksy in as a starter for the next few years.  Oleksy belongs in the NHL waaay more than Erskine does, any disagreement?

I don't think Olejksy is a top 4 by anymeans

Agreed, Im liking Schmidt so far.  And I have no idea why anybody would be less than ecstatic about Oleksy, career minor-leaguer turns out to be physical enough to deal with the NHL's powerforwards, smart enough to rarely make mistakes that cost his team games, tough enough to go toe-to-toe with just anybody, and just SOLID enough from a technical standpoint to deal with all but the cream of the crop of the NHL's skill guys (not quite Alzner-level, but Alzner is elite in that category).  He learned a lot in the minors, so that when he came into the NHL, he was already playing like a seasoned Vet.  ANd *gasp* he actually knows how to clear the crease without taking a penalty.  Pinch me, I think Im dreaming, havent been able to say that since Witt was here. 

Maybe not a top 2 defenseman, but probably a top 4 defenseman, and DEFINITELY a top 6 -- we should just go ahead and pencil Oleksy in as a starter for the next few years.  Oleksy belongs in the NHL waaay more than Erskine does, any disagreement?

Oleksy's competent but he's not a top 4 on a Cup winning team.  That said, he's exponentially better than Erskine regardless of the size difference.  Erskine is done.

I don't think Olejksy is a top 4 by anymeans

Oleksy's competent but he's not a top 4 on a Cup winning team.  That said, he's exponentially better than Erskine regardless of the size difference.  Erskine is done.

Oleksy-Schmidt is a pretty damn good 3rd pairing, assuming Schmidt continues to play at this level. I think we have seen Oleksy do it long enough to assume he will only contine to get better positionally and refine his game.

Archived