Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

- Washington Capitals 2013-14 Season Thread -

Hello folks!  It's that time of year again!  This time next month we will be into the first month of regular season hockey.  There are a few changes coming to the Capitals this season.  First and foremost is the division realignment.  It brings the Capitals to the Metropolitan division where some old divisional rivalries will be reignited.  The Metropolitan will certainly be a more competitive division than the Southeast and the Capitals will have their will tested early and often.

Game 1 is Tuesday October 1 at 8:00 on NBC Sports Network against the Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.  That inter-league game will be the first test in a long season.

So, what can we expect?

Well, we will see a team that has time for head coach Adam Oates to mould it into his scheme.  No more learning on the fly.  Oates had half a season to evaluate and make changes.  Now he'll have a complete off-season to devise and institue schemes that he feels will improve the team.  The continuity at the head coach position is an upgrade over the last few seasons and Oates up-tempo style should have some players performing at their peak.

Speaking of players, there were only a few changes in the off season.  Among players no longer with the club are 2nd line center Mike Ribeiro and defenseman Mike Schultz.  Ribeiro left after the season after free agency opened up for a richer contract with longer tenure than general manager George McPhee was willing to offer.  Mike Schultz was bought out after missing much of the shortened season as a healthy scratch.  The only key free agency signing for the Washington Capitals was center Mikhail Grabovski, formerly of the Toronto Maple Leafs.  He is expected replace Mike Ribeiro's role as 2nd line center on the team.  Grabovski is a talented play making center who has a nose for the net and the ability to play both ends of the ice.

Possible offensive lines are as follows:

Johannson, Backstrom, Ovechkin

Erat, Grabovski, Brouwer

Ward, Perrault, Liach

Fehr, Beagle, Chimeara

Possible defensive pairings are as follows:

Green, Carlson

Alzner, Oleksy

Hillen, Erskine

(Note: no lines are final at this time, especially the 3rd, 4th offensive and 2nd, 3rd defensive)

That's about it for now.  Let's go Caps!

And so it begins. My prediction is that Jeff Schultz scores the Cup winning goal in game 7 to defeat the Capitals. I will always hate you Jeff Schultz.

Edit:

Predicted lines

Johannson...Backstrom...Ovechkin

Erat...Grabovski...Brouwer

Perreault...Laich...Fehr

Chimera...Beagle...Ward

Alzner...Green

Erskine...Carlson

Hillen...Oleksy

Holtby...Neuvirth

Since everyone's predicting lines, I figure I'll put my two cents in.

Johansson-Backstrom-Ovechkin

Erat-Grabovski-Brouwer

Laich-Perreault-Fehr

Chimera-Beagle-Ward

Johansson and the 1st line really clicked in the final 22 games of the season, so I don't see why you'd want to split them up

2nd line will be like we had last year, but swap Ribs for Grab. This should be a better even-strength line than the Ribero centered line because of the puck-possession skills of Grabovski, while Ribs did most of his damage on the PP.

3rd line has an underrated playmaker at center in Perreault, a decent goal-scorer in Fehr, and Laich... well he's the utility guy that can play wherever you need him. I think this 3rd line could be important to us this season; maybe it'll be like the days when we had Flash and (pre-injury) Fehr buried down on the 3rd line providing solid secondary scoring.

4th line has some grit, and maybe Chimera can make something happen every now and then with his speed.

I'm not convinced we're going into the season with this personnel, though, because we're sitting at a 22-man roster with just enough room to sign someone at league-min. We can't bring in Wilson, or any of our decent prospects with the cap space we have.

Oh, and OP, it's Jeff Schultz, not Mike Schultz :)

Predicted Offensive lines

Erat, Backstrom, Ovi

Laich, Grabovski, Brouwer

Johansson, Perreault, Ward

Chimera, Beagle, Fehr or Wilson, though I think Wilson starts at Hershey to get a lot of playing time.

This is dead on how I think we'll start the season, except for Wilson.  He's too young to play in Hershey, he'll have to go back to Plymouth if he doesn't stick in DC.  I think Plymouth would be best for him as he'll improve his offensive game a lot more by being the top scoring threat, playing 18+ minutes a night, and getting PP work in Plymouth.  In DC he's likely pull defensive minutes and only player around 10 minutes a night.

PokerPaker, agreed about a potential roster move coming.  I think it's very likely the move someone before the start of the season to free up space.  As it stands now, Orlov would push the team over the cap if they want him to start the season in DC, same goes for Wilson.  

I'd say Fehr or Chimera are the most likely to be moved in my opinion.   Maybe Erskine depending on how he looks in camp.

Low to mid-seed playoff team unless the defense shapes up.  Ovechkin will compete for another Hart Trophy now that we actually have two lines thanks to the Grabovski signing.  PP won't be as good, we will be better 5 on 5.

Getting Laich back is huge.  We need him on the PK and he provides offense for the third line.

Caps don't have enough cap space with the signing of MarJO to bring Wilson up unless they move someone. As mentioned he cannot play in Hershey (too young).

I did see Ovie, Halpern, Beagle, Holtby, Neuvy, Alzner, and a bunch others doing an informal practice on Saturday AM. That was good to see.

Caps don't have enough cap space with the signing of MarJO to bring Wilson up unless they move someone. As mentioned he cannot play in Hershey (too young).

I did see Ovie, Halpern, Beagle, Holtby, Neuvy, Alzner, and a bunch others doing an informal practice on Saturday AM. That was good to see.

I think we are going to sign Halpern to be our 23rd guy. Most we can offer currently is a 1 yr league minimum, but I think he'll take it.

Sidestory: A few months ago I was in the self checkout line at the Giant in Bethesda. Jeff Halpern was in front of me with his baby and stroller. After checking out he got busted by the Giant employee for not scanning a bunch of items on the bottom of the stroller. He tried to play it off like he forgot. I just smiled at him.

Low to mid-seed playoff team unless the defense shapes up.  Ovechkin will compete for another Hart Trophy now that we actually have two lines thanks to the Grabovski signing.  PP won't be as good, we will be better 5 on 5.

Getting Laich back is huge.  We need him on the PK and he provides offense for the third line.

This is about what I see too.  If the stars line up just right this team could be very good, but a mid seed playoff team is a worthy goal at this point.  If the top line keeps clicking, the Erat/Grabovski/Brouwer line becomes a a true second scoring line, MattyP continues his development making the 3rd line consistently as good as they were towards the end of last year, and Holtby takes that next step this team could be great.  But that's a lot of ifs and the odds are good that at least some of them won't come to fruition. 

In semi related news, my local rink opens a week from Wednesday. I'm unreasonably excited to have people shoot pucks at my face again.

Ain't hockey fun?

I swear though, some people are so worried about getting velocity and lift on their shots that they fail to realize that their pucks alway miss the net.

Ain't hockey fun?

I swear though, some people are so worried about getting velocity and lift on their shots that they fail to realize that their pucks alway miss the net.

It's the best. During the offseason I really miss the sound of pucks slamming into the boards in an echoey old rink. Music to my ears.

I need some money so I can pay for hockey again. I'm getting out of shape :(

It pays to be a goalie in a goalie depleted area, literally.  I get paid $20 every time I sub for someone else in one of my local leagues, butI usually spend it before they game by picking up a case of beer.  If I had to pay my ice time would be much more sporadic.

Also, the rookie game is up for streaming if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/capsflyers-rookie-game-1st-period-9-9-13/index.jsp 

A few take aways about Wilson, he doesn't appear to be offensively ready to make meaningful contributions to the Caps.  He's definitely big, physical, and intimidating, but the ability to make plays for himself isn't there yet.  I'd really like to see him play another year in Plymouth where he will be a mainstay on the 1st line and the power play.  He could come it and be a front of the net dirty goals guy right now, but the skills aren't there to be a true top 6 power forward.  

But I will say this, he's one of the grittiest prospects I've ever seen.  He was seriously good at getting under the skin of the Flyers team.  Every guy on the ice was taking runs at him and he was swatting them down like flies.  He's unbelievable strong for a 19 year old, very solid on his skates.  

In other news, Chandler Stephenson looked pretty good in the scrimmage.  He's obviously a long way from getting a shot at the NHL roster, but he was the only player consistently getting the puck to the front of the net and making things happen.

I've been playing year round in two leagues. One at Reston and one at Fairfax.

How are the leagues if you don't mind me asking?  We might be moving back to the NoVA area to be closer to family some time next year which means I'll have to find some new places to play.  Anything I should know about the leagues at different rinks?

Not excited for the season. Here is what will happen.

We'll all get our hopes up.

Team has a slow start, inches their way up the standings during the year, but pretty much underachieves.

Fans make tons of excuses for their record.

Team clinches last playoff spot in the division with a mediocre record.

Plays the top seed Pens in the first round and takes them to the 7th game.

Team doesn't show up for game 7 and loses 6-1.

Team eliminated in first round again.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Fairfax is a hole in the wall. The rink is below NHL size. The leagues aren't too hard and it is probably easiest to get on a team there.

Reston is great, love their ice. Leagues are harder there, meaning the Reston D league is more skilled than Fairfax. Reston has an NHL rink and an Olympic rink.

The only other place I've played was at Kettler. Good ice but I like Reston more. They have two NHL rinks. As I understand, it's very hard to get on a team at Kettler.

Other area rinks are Prince William (I've heard a lot of great things about this facility), Ashburn and Haymarket.

I know nothing about any Maryland rinks.

How are the leagues if you don't mind me asking?  We might be moving back to the NoVA area to be closer to family some time next year which means I'll have to find some new places to play.  Anything I should know about the leagues at different rinks?

Fairfax honestly isn't very good. The ice is crap, the benches are meh, the facilities are crap, the boards are hard, and they cater to figure skating more than they do to hockey. Reston is a quality rink with decent ice and facilities, but if you're trying to start a new team, you won't get much communication. Ashburn also has nice ice and facilities. If you're closer to DC, Ballston's got great ice and facilities. As the practice rink for the Caps, it's really well maintained. If you're a little farther out, there's the rebuilt Prince William ice rink which has nice ice and facilities, and they have a liquor license :).

In terms of ice quality:

PW

Kettler

Reston

Concrete

Grass

Fairfax

In terms of actually associating people to proper skill level:

PW

Fairfax

Reston

Kettler

Overall I still like kettler and have dropped my other leagues to play there due to schedule. But there are WAY too many ringers in Lower C. I feel bad for people coming off learn to play, you will go up against lower B to A guys in Lower C. 

PW does the best job overall in terms of quality and their facilities are the best but Sunday nights late when you don't live nearby is rough.

FFX ... ****ty ice beyond the worst ice in the area. Rink is too small, and I'd sub there but not pay to play there. And i live like 10mins away from it.

Fairfax is a hole in the wall. The rink is below NHL size. The leagues aren't too hard and it is probably easiest to get on a team there.

Reston is great, love their ice. Leagues are harder there, meaning the Reston D league is more skilled than Fairfax. Reston has an NHL rink and an Olympic rink.

The only other place I've played was at Kettler. Good ice but I like Reston more. They have two NHL rinks. As I understand, it's very hard to get on a team at Kettler.

Other area rinks are Prince William (I've heard a lot of great things about this facility), Ashburn and Haymarket.

I know nothing about any Maryland rinks.

Fairfax honestly isn't very good. The ice is crap, the benches are meh, the facilities are crap, the boards are hard, and they cater to figure skating more than they do to hockey. Reston is a quality rink with decent ice and facilities, but if you're trying to start a new team, you won't get much communication. Ashburn also has nice ice and facilities. If you're closer to DC, Ballston's got great ice and facilities. As the practice rink for the Caps, it's really well maintained. If you're a little farther out, there's the rebuilt Prince William ice rink which has nice ice and facilities, and they have a liquor license :).

Thanks guys, good to know.  I'm sure this will end up being dictated more by where we end up living than where I'd prefer to play.  I've played at Kettler a handful of times when I've been home over the holidays and, as expected, the two rinks are both nice.  I was also pretty happy with the level of play at the pick up games, enough good shooters to make things interesting.  Ashburn sounds like a good spot, and it's nice to hear that the leagues are pretty competitive there too.  

The liquor license in Prince William also sounds like a major draw.  Most of our rinks up here in the VT/NH area really lax with the rules on alcohol, aka as long as you don't leave any for the peewee teams you can do whatever you want.  

It'll also be nice to play in an area where the rinks are open nearly all year.  I think we have more rinks up here, but none of them make enough money to be able to stay open during the summer.

Archived