Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

I sure do love the start of hockey season. Had my first skate of the year this morning before work. I felt awkward and like I was constantly in the wrong place, but as long as I don't pull a groin, I'm happy.

I got out with my son a couple of times over the summer just to get him on the ice.  He's only three but he's already gliding.  The first time we went out he was just running with his skates on, it was hilarious.  Now he's actually stepping into it and gliding out each step.  I'm so proud of the little dude.

I run a lot so I'm normally not worried about muscles, but dude, my ankles and feet always need an adjustment to get used to how tight I wear my skates and obviously the pressure on the middle of the foot.  I'm stoked because my next duty station in North Carolina (where I'll be moving in January) has it's own ice rink and they have a local SHL team that runs the youth league and they take it pretty seriously and it's a lot of fun.  There's more hockey down there than there is in the Fredericksburg area, I have to drive to PW county to get to a rink.  It sucks.

I'd like to see Erat up there, too, especially with Nicky at Center (both Swedes, lol).

If we get Kuzya over here at all this season I'd like to see a Russian (Ovi, Grabo --- I know not really Russian but close enough, Kuzya) line and a Swede line (Erat, Nicky, Mojo).

I agree with HB in how we use MoJo on the top line, but where do you put him if he's not on the first two lines?  He'll get murdered on one of the lower 2 lines and his defense isn't that good.  All of a sudden he's a healthy scratch or a utility player.

I have no doubt the 1st line will be MoJo-Backstrom-Ovie.  I just HATE MoJo.  I think if we had a LW capable of finishing last year we beat the Rags in round 1. MoJo missed soooo many opportunities in the Garden, it was the difference in a game.  He finishes, we beat the Rags in 5.

I have no doubt the 1st line will be MoJo-Backstrom-Ovie.  I just HATE MoJo.  I think if we had a LW capable of finishing last year we beat the Rags in round 1. MoJo missed soooo many opportunities in the Garden, it was the difference in a game.  He finishes, we beat the Rags in 5.

I'm with you, brother.  That drove me bat **** crazy.  And playoffs aside, his finishing was terrible.  More than anyone on the team he had filet mignon on a platter and slid it off the table so the dogs could eat it. 

I remember a couple of times we moved Wardo out there because he got hot and even he left one or two on the ice.  So at least that shows us Oatsie is thinking about it.

Johansson had 20 points in his last 22 games. He's a young player who will only get better with time. Sure, he had some trouble finishing here and there, but his speed and puck possession are a huge asset when paired with Ovie and Backstrom. That first line didn't really start clicking until Johansson was healthy after his concussion. Even if another guy could potentially make the top line a little bit better than Johansson does, I feel it would be at the detriment of one of our other lines that Johansson might not fit in quite as well making for a net loss. I say that we, for now, let him play where he's shown to be effective, which is the first line. Sure, he's missed some prime scoring opportunities, but his speed has helped to create so many more opportunities that I'm willing to let him keep at it and let the finishing ability come to him with time. Let's not forget that he's only (almost) 23 and has plenty of development ahead of him.

edit:

Over the same period, Ovechkin was putting up 1.5 points per game compared to the .88 points per game the rest of the season. Backstrom put up 1.18 points per game over that time period compared to .85 the rest of the season.

If we get Kuzya over here at all this season I'd like to see a Russian (Ovi, Grabo --- I know not really Russian but close enough, Kuzya) line and a Swede line (Erat, Nicky, Mojo).

I agree with HB in how we use MoJo on the top line, but where do you put him if he's not on the first two lines?  He'll get murdered on one of the lower 2 lines and his defense isn't that good.  All of a sudden he's a healthy scratch or a utility player.

Agree with that, Mojo is definitely a top 6 or bust player at this point in his career. He's not physical enough or strong enough on the boards to be effective in a non top 6 role. He's not a defensive liability, his positioning is sound and he takes virtually no dumb penalties, but he won't won't win many battles for possession and won't finish many checks. If he doesn't add muscle/strength and round out his game he'll find himself as the odd man out if Kuznetsov makes the jump.

I got out with my son a couple of times over the summer just to get him on the ice.  He's only three but he's already gliding.  The first time we went out he was just running with his skates on, it was hilarious.  Now he's actually stepping into it and gliding out each step.  I'm so proud of the little dude.

I run a lot so I'm normally not worried about muscles, but dude, my ankles and feet always need an adjustment to get used to how tight I wear my skates and obviously the pressure on the middle of the foot.  I'm stoked because my next duty station in North Carolina (where I'll be moving in January) has it's own ice rink and they have a local SHL team that runs the youth league and they take it pretty seriously and it's a lot of fun.  There's more hockey down there than there is in the Fredericksburg area, I have to drive to PW county to get to a rink.  It sucks.

I'm spoiled from having 4 rinks within 20 minutes of me up here in the VT/NH area. Unfortunately none stay open in the summer. That's awesome about your son, I'm sure he'll love having a opportunity to play that much. I get such a kick out of watching mite hockey games. It's adorable.

My feet always hurt too, one day I should buy a new pair of skates, but that probably won't happen until the current pair fall apart. I usually end up sore in the beginning of the season because I don't keep up with my yoga/stretching during the summer. My hips generally disagree with the amount of time I like spending in net at the start of the season.

Weird seeing the new divisions.  I went over to ESPN and looked up the preseason standings.  Looks weird.

What's even weirder is, the western conference has 14 teams, and the eastern has 16, I know 30 isnt evenly dividable, but seems to me the teams in the eastern conference will have a overall harder time making the playoffs since there are 2 more teams competing to do so.

So when did we start calling assists, dimes?

I started calling hockey assists dimes when I saw Holtby send one down the ice to (was it Brouwer) last year... and I was like, "Man... that was a dime."

This Galeiv kid is FAST and has some hands.

Wilson is going to make it a tough decision, but I think it's best to keep him hungry in the OHL.  Bring him up for the playoffs if need be, but this kid is going to be good.  I get fired up for the Lindross comparison by Oatsie. :)

How about that Nathan Walker kid? Austrailian? May be to small to play in the NHL but it's hard not to root for the kid. Has looked pretty good out there tonight.

He has hustle and handles the puck well.  Anyone with vision deserves a chance.

Oh, and Wilson's goal... exactly what we've been complain the MoJo can't do. lol  Just to thicken the plot a bit.

He has hustle and handles the puck well.  Anyone with vision deserves a chance.

Here is a good write up on him at NHL.com. Clik link for full article.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=682770

Walker trying to become first Australian in NHL

By Mike G. Morreale - NHL.com Staff Writer

Nathan Walker still can recall how impressed he was the first time he witnessed a hockey game in his hometown of Sydney, Australia.

He was inspired so much, in fact, that he decided to lace on the blades and give the sport a shot because it was "something different" to do in a country dominated by football and soccer.

"Soccer wasn't a sport that really fit with me too well," Walker told NHL.com. "I can kind of kick a ball but I don't know what direction it's going in. Hockey isn't the most popular thing in Australia; it's certainly not the No. 1 thing to do on a Saturday night."

While it might not be the thing to do, Walker made certain to watch, practice and play as often as possible.

"When I was 13, that's when I decided I really wanted to take a shot at this, so I went overseas [to the Czech Republic] to learn and play the game," Walker said.

Walker, a left wing, has dreams of becoming the first Australian to play in the NHL. Despite the fact he didn't hear his name called at the 2013 NHL Draft -- the second time he's gone through the annual selection process -- the 19-year-old is experiencing training camp with the Washington Capitals on a tryout basis. He is one of 40 forwards listed on the Capitals' roster.

More Complete,

Thanks for sharing that.  The kid has a chance if he has an option for Hershey.  We know that we are deep at winger, but he ALWAYS have injuries early in the season.

His line with Brouwer has been the best line of the night on both ends of the ice.  He has some really good vision and handles the puck well in the neutral zone.  The best player has been Wilson, by far... but the best line is this kids line and Locker seems to like him.

You have me rooting for him.

The feed from Walker was brilliant on that goal, too.

Hopefully he can develop and be ready if Grabo doesn't re-sing.

Can I just say I love to watch hockey when I can. 

I don't understand it fully, but man is it exciting as all heck. And it all stems from my childhood and your little Olympic spats with the Cold War enemy. And I tip my hat to the players. I don't think, outside of pro soccer players, and arguably tennis players; there's any fitter athletes on the Planet. 

I shall now step back out to reading as I know little to add. Oh yeah, GO CAPS!

Hail. 

My hope for the season is not high, but this preseason record is making me a little more excited. I know it is just preseason and the Caps point diff is only +1. I think Oats is going to be a real difference maker as a coach and this team may surprise some people.

Well if you don't like it the block me out or skip over it.

I'm not changing the way I talk to appease you guys.

Jeezie peezie.

I mean I'm not going to lose sleep over it.  Speak how you want, it's a free country.  It's just hockey has its own terms and basketball has its own slang.  They don't mix.

Archived