Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Bruins announcers are painful to listen to. Every fight is a one sided mauling by the Bruins and every hit by a Bruin is clean with good intentions. Meanwhile, the refer to the Caps as the Washington Lowercases. Really pathetic.

Jack Edwards is in a class of his own.  He's a turd. 

It is not on TV at all.  Friday's game against Flyers is on NHLN & CSN. Saturdays game against Chicago is untelevised.

Speaking of the Flyers game, I'll be playing at Verizon afterwards. I haven't been on the ice in awhile, so it'll be nice.

also, Caps waived Tomas Kundratek hoping to send him to Hershey. Perhaps trying to make room for Orlov or maybe Wilson.

also, Caps waived Tomas Kundratek hoping to send him to Hershey. Perhaps trying to make room for Orlov or maybe Wilson.

With the new Waiver rules, a player only has to pass through waivers once per year. If he's not claimed the Caps will be able to send him up and down as much as they like. Seems like a good move. This time of year every team is trying to find a way to fit all their guys in and this year a ton of teams are right against the cap. If there every was a good time to risk a player with potential on waivers, this is it.

I'm so torn on Wilson. I'm going to default to whatever they decide, such a tough call.

With the new Waiver rules, a player only has to pass through waivers once per year. If he's not claimed the Caps will be able to send him up and down as much as they like. Seems like a good move. This time of year every team is trying to find a way to fit all their guys in and this year a ton of teams are right against the cap. If there every was a good time to risk a player with potential on waivers, this is it.

I'm so torn on Wilson. I'm going to default to whatever they decide, such a tough call.

Oh, I hadn't heard about the new Waiver rules, thanks for the info.

As for Wilson, I think he's just in a really unfortunate position where he's just too big for juniors, but still has more he can learn at a pre-NHL level but he's not allowed to play in the minors due to some CHL agreement. Sure, in Plymouth he'd get plenty of ice time and be depended on to be a scorer, but he'd be playing against people so much smaller than him that he may get pick up bad habits from being so much bigger than everyone else. At the NHL level, though, he wouldn't get much ice time at this point and would be in a checking-line type role rather than the scoring line role and could develop habits around that. Starting off in the AHL right now would probably be perfect, but alas, it's not possible.

Can someone explain the new realignment format as far as playoff implications. Is it the top four in each division?

Here's how I THINK it goes.

The top team from each division gets in. Then the next six teams from either division get in as well.

So, you could have 1 Atlantic team and 7 Metro teams make the playoffs from the East.

Just saw this and was coming on here to post IT!!!!!

Here is the link to the story: http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/9697171/washington-capitals-host-winter-classic-source-says

I do not care what the venue is, or how cold, you can bet I will be in DC to watch that game!!!!!!

FTA:

"Now what I start to worry about is, I hope it's cold enough, right?" Capitals owner Ted Leonsis said. "I experienced the weather in Pittsburgh, and I see what can happen city-by-city when you play outdoors and I just hope that we get a cold spell and maybe even some snow."

The average high temperature on Jan. 1 in Washington is 44 degrees, with a record of 69 set in 2005. A good litmus test for outdoor hockey in a warmer climate will come Jan. 5 when the Anaheim Ducks will play the Los Angeles Kings at Dodger Stadium.

Leonsis said he'd like to attend the game at Dodger Stadium, and noted that there have been technological advances that keep rinks cold when the temperature is unseasonably warm. He said it sounded like a "good idea" when a fan suggested that the game in Washington be held at night when it's colder, but he also said that decision will be left up to the NHL.

"The big concern is rain," he said. "That's the one thing that would make it very difficult."

I'm guessing it will be about 50 degrees. I hope they lay some piping underneath to keep the ice frozen, otherwise it will be slush. 

My gut says Wilson is gonna play in DC. He's got nothing to gain by going back to the OHL and he's too big. I think the blueprint for how to develop him is with Boston and Lucic who is 25 and just finished his 6th season in the NHL. Stick him on the third line and see how he does...

We have to move someone to fit hs salary under the cap. MattyP may be the odd man out. I don't see a market for Volpatti or Beagle, and Ward and Erat carry too high of a cap hit to move. If we CAN move MattyP, our lines could be pretty good:

MoJo-Nicky-Ovie

Laich-Grabo-Brouwer

Chimera-Fehr-Ward

Erat-Beagle-Wilson

Maybe swap Erat and Chimmers or Erat and Fehr, but based on all the reporting Oates relly likes that 3rd line.

What are the different line combos that Oates has been playing so far this preseason? Any looking particularly good?

The first line is still the first line (Macken-Backy-Ovie)

from there, though, he's caught me off-guard with his other combos.

second line appears to be:

Laich-Grabovski-Fehr (Grabo and Fehr have had great chemistry so far)

Third line appears to be:

Erat-Perreault-Brouwer

That leaves a Fourth line, assuming no Tom Wilson:

Chimmera-Beagle-Ward

By moving Erat to the third line (or is it the second second line?), it gives us a deeper line-up, I think. When I expected Erat to play with Grabo, I figured we'd have a line with a lot of puck-possession, but instead, now we have a strong possession guy on both lines in Erat and Grabo, a strong shooter on each line in Fehr and Brouwer, and then Perreault provides a solid passer and Laich is a utility guy so I'm kinda curious what kind of role he'll take on with Grabs and Fehr.

There's been a couple wrinkles thrown in, too. He's trying out Fehr and Erat at center.

If, Fehr can make a solid transition to Center, we could potentially be looking at three 2nd lines by the end of the season if maybe Ward is moved and Kuznetsov and Wilson come in. So if hypothetically Fehr plays center, here's how it could shake out:

Mackan-Backstrom-Ovechkin

Laich-Grabovski-Kuznetsov

Erat-Perreault-Brouwer

Chimmera-Fehr-Wilson

Say what you want about McPhee, but this roster is bigger, tougher, and more talented than any version of the last 8 years. The went toe to toe with the Flyers goons tonight and held their own. I don't see any way Wilson doesn't stick with this team.

Who is the odd man out if he makes the team?

Archived