Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Carlson is trash. 100%. His ass has been in the league what four years now? I don't want to hear the young excuse. He's been brain dead since the preseason. I went to the Flyers preseason game in Philly and literally sad there dumbfounded on how Carlson looked. Passing to no one. Failing to do anything defensively. I'm done with him at this point and I was a huge fan of his potential when he came up.

He makes Mike Green look competent defensively 

I think Johansson should the third line center.

Cant decide who I want to punch more, him or Oates. I can't really be mad at Johansson because he's being put in a terrible situation where he is in over his head because his coach is either too proud or too ****ing stupid to realize mistakes.

I personally think that Oates took a lot of pride in Ovi gradual return to form last season and now thinks that waiting things out is the best way to work. Sorry to tell him that Johannson, Laich, Fehr, and Ward don't have a third of the talent of Ovechkin

Toot toot!

That's my horn by the way.  Everyone who killed me last year for saying Carlson sucks... eat my shorts :)

Agree with a lot of your reasoning Hersh. 

Was I the only one who snickered last night when Eddie was saying "I think Oates is going to change his lines up a bit here" at the start of the 3rd period?

RonArtest, I dig your lines, but I am replacing 90 for 21.

Toot toot!

That's my horn by the way.  Everyone who killed me last year for saying Carlson sucks... eat my shorts :)

Was I the only one who snickered last night when Eddie was saying "I think Oates is going to change his lines up a bit here" at the start of the 3rd period?

100% agree. Johansson isn't a lost cause like Carlson...yet. He's been passing pretty well but he needs to be on a line where offense isn't the primary goal.

100% agree. Johansson isn't a lost cause like Carlson...yet. He's been passing pretty well but he needs to be on a line where offense isn't the primary goal.

Yeah, I'd say he is a total bust as a top 6 player.  But he'll cycle the hell out of that puck.  Just don't expect him to shoot it.

Toot toot!

Now that I think about it, the 90 for 21 swap would make a lot of sense. 

Speaking of Carlson...I forgot who was killing me on here (last year) for suggesting that PK Subban was the better of the two LOLOLOL

I know our defense sucks, but I wouldn't mind seeing a trade put together centering around Carlson/Neuvy/draft pick(s) for Yakupov.  I know it's an extremely small sample size, but Schmidt really makes excellent decisions with the puck.  If Carlson is moved out, thrwo Schmidt in there and see what he can do.  Can't be any worse than what we've got out there, right? 

Speaking of Carlson...I forgot who was killing me on here (last year) for suggesting that PK Subban was the better of the two LOLOLOL

I know our defense sucks, but I wouldn't mind seeing a trade put together centering around Carlson/Neuvy/draft pick(s) for Yakupov.  I know it's an extremely small sample size, but Schmidt really makes excellent decisions with the puck.  If Carlson is moved out, thrwo Schmidt in there and see what he can do.  Can't be any worse than what we've got out there, right? 

I'd love it but Edmonton would riot. They need GOOD defensemen, not Carlson lol.

And it's been a known fact that Subban was better for years. Who argued against that? That seriously happened?

Oh bro... I love PK.

EDIT:  And that's what we do for guys like this in DC... we diefy (sp?) them for one accomplishment.

Carlson hits a GWG with seconds left and all of a sudden he's the next best thing because he's a youngin.

The most frustrating thing about Carlson is that he's shown the ability to be a very good defender in the playoffs and towards the end of the last few seasons.  It's as if magically his gap control improves dramatically, he becomes more physical, and he's more responsible with the puck.  Then when the next season opens, he's back to skating around with his stick up his ass.  

He's a player that needs a wake up call.  He should sit for a few games, but unfortunately the defense is in such terrible shape that we can't afford to do it.  

I'm not close to giving up on him. He's only 23 and most defenders, even highly touted ones, aren't ready at that age, but holy hell is he ever frustrating.

Saw this tidbit on PD:

(On Neuvirth: If Lowe was in Washington to scout the Capitals, they didn’t showcase Neuvy against the Rangers last night. Could this be about, gulp, Braden Holtby? And if there’s any deal to be made, would now-fourth-liner Martin Erat be part of the freight headed to Edmonton? Would he go, with his no-trade clause? Ah, sweet speculation.)

Let's say GMGM pulls this off...to me, this would KIND OF absolve him from the Forsberg disaster. 

Forsberg for Erat

Erat/Holtby for Yakupov

Doesn't fix the defense, but we get an extremely dynamic winger with Kuz potentially coming over next year. 

ugh.... not sure how I feel about this.

Yes, Neuvy has a ton of potential but I was all in for Holtby.

But Holtby needs a verteran goaltender around to keep him focused on NOT being the best goalie on the team.  Sometimes I think Holtby is resting on his laurels with no pressure on his job.

Yeah, Holtby has grown on me.  Slow starts aside he has the higher ceiling.

And boy was Holtby on display last night... sweet jesus.

I have full faith in Mikey if he goes that route, though.

Saw this tidbit on PD:

Let's say GMGM pulls this off...to me, this would KIND OF absolve him from the Forsberg disaster. 

For that particular one, yes (for me anyways).  But he has many more sins that need atonement :lol:

I'm a big Holtby fan and I think that would be a huge win for the Caps.  I don't think Grubauer has the ceiling that Holtby does (and Neuvy certainly doesn't), but Yakupov would be a huge upgrade for the team.  As a side benefit, it would pretty much guarantee that Kusnetsov would want to come over to play with his old buddy Nail.

That said, Erat has a no trade clause and I find the whole thing pretty unlikely.

I refuse to believe that someone who is garnering the attention of the US Hockey team is 'horrible.' I agree he needs to get his head out of his ass, but come playoff time, the dude plays well. He got burned on Callahan's goal last night, but that was a GREAT play by the ranger's captain

I saw the article about a potential Edmonton Neuvy deal, but at this point, I have absolutely no faith in GMGM 

As for the lines, I'd like to see

10-19-8

16-84-43

21-90-20

25-83/Latta-42

Put Carlson and Alzner back together. Find some way to pick up a 4D to go with Green. Carrick/Schimdt/Oleksy/Urbom for the 3rd pairing. Our d is such a cluster**** right now. 

Bring in a veteran goaltender to challenge Holtby

I'd love to put Carlson back with Alzner but we can't afford to have Green playing with anyone else sadly.  He'd give up so many goals.

smid for Neuvirth was what the article I read said. Dunno anything about him playing up in Edmonton 

I'm a big Holtby fan and I think that would be a huge win for the Caps.  I don't think Grubauer has the ceiling that Holtby does (and Neuvy certainly doesn't), but Yakupov would be a huge upgrade for the team.  As a side benefit, it would pretty much guarantee that Kusnetsov would want to come over to play with his old buddy Nail.

That said, Erat has a no trade clause and I find the whole thing pretty unlikely.

I would happily send Holtby out for Yakupov.  No thinking twice.

There's no way we get Yakupov for Orlov and Neuvy, even with a pick thrown in.  There would have to be a higher caliber player involved.

The Oilers don't have the best front office, but that would be highway robbery.  We'd get a potential superstar who's already a legitimate 1st line player for a goalie who's showed he might be a mediocre starter and a defenseman who showed he flashed as a potential solid player two years ago and hasn't been heard from since.  

I could see the Oilers looking for leadership for their young team, so throwing in a guy like Brouwer or Laich could make sense, but what they really need is defense.  For a prospect like Yakupov we might have to send back a guy like Carlson or Alzner. 

There's no way we get Yakupov for Orlov and Neuvy, even with a pick thrown in.  There would have to be a higher caliber player involved.

The Oilers don't have the best front office, but that would be highway robbery.  We'd get a potential superstar who's already a legitimate 1st line player for a goalie who's showed he might be a mediocre starter and a defenseman who showed he flashed as a potential solid player two years ago and hasn't been heard from since.  

I could see the Oilers looking for leadership for their young team, so throwing in a guy like Brouwer or Laich could make sense, but what they really need is defense.  For a prospect like Yakupov we might have to send back a guy like Carlson or Alzner. 

It's be a comically bad trade for Edmonton but hell, I'd throw in Carlson if they threw in Smida.

Ok, so how about Neuvy-MoJo-Orlov-1st for Yakupov-Smid?

Lines have changed:

Some changes in the #Caps lines this morning. Erat on 2nd line, Grabovski on 3rd, Fehr on 4th. Still waiting for full rushes.

Not Sure what the 2nd looks like if 84 is now on the 3rd line? 21-10-20? 10-21-20?

90-19-8

21-10-20/10-21-20

25-84-42

16-83-43

There are literally 9 different line combos that are better than this crap. 84 gets demoted to 3rd line duty?

Archived