Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

I agree with changing the lines, but how about some of these guys finish an opportunity? On the 2nd line Brouwer and Laich have 0 points through 4 games now. They have a legit center on that line. Green missed a wide open chip from Latta. etc.

And Carlson was awful this game.

Carlson was terrible. Does he get a shot on goal or an assist on the game winning goal? How is that scored after he took a loose puck and shot it on his own goal to setup the juicy rebound?

I thought Green's passing tonight was bad all night. On a few of the power plays, he would pass it behind guys or throw it to no one when he wasn't pressured.

The defense is just horrible. I don't know what else to say. It was a very depressing game to watch.

This thread looks a lot like every years Caps thread.

In a nutshell here is how it goes.  Caps start slow, posters post how we suck, GMGM is an idiot, coaching sucks.  Caps will then start playing well sometime midpoint through the season and slowly climb the standings.  Posters will post how great we are and how we are getting hot right at the right time.  Then we will get a high playoff seed.  Poof, early playoff exit.

This team as assembled will start to produce goals and play well, but as always under GMGM they aren't built for the playoffs.  Offensive minded team with offensive minded defense.  Doesn't work.

That said, come December/January there will be a lot of happiness in this thread.

In a nutshell here is how it goes.  Caps start slow, posters post how we suck, GMGM is an idiot, coaching sucks.  Caps will then start playing well sometime midpoint through the season and slowly climb the standings.  Posters will post how great we are and how we are getting hot right at the right time.  Then we will get a high playoff seed.  Poof, early playoff exit.

This team as assembled will start to produce goals and play well, but as always under GMGM they aren't built for the playoffs.  Offensive minded team with offensive minded defense.  Doesn't work.

That said, come December/January there will be a lot of happiness in this thread.

I agree. It's been the same story every year. I'm depressed now, but I'm still ok with the team for the long haul. Adjustments will be made and the team will start to play better.  But you are right. In the short term, there will be a lot of anger in this thread.

Well said and I'm normally the optimist in here, but we aren't in the same division as last year. It's not going to be as easy to get back into a playoff race this time around.

Who cares if we make the playoffs if we're always do the same crap.  Only thing I'd hate about missing the playoffs thus forcing a change is Ovi has to waste his career.  So far we've wasted plenty of it so what's it matter at this point?

Leonsis cares, didn't you see his latest song and dance about fans not appreciating making the playoffs.

What did I see last night?

1.  MoJoke missed a wide open net down near the crease/mishandled the puck near the crease

2.  Holtby let in a soft goal

3.  Carlson had a defensive zone turnover that led to a goal

EDIT:  ^^ This could almost be a recap for every game the Caps have played for the last two seasons

After seeing how poorly the Devils did last season and seeing Tampa Bay fire their coach in season last year, I am not ready to question the system yet... but I am thinking about it.

That was also against:

Florida

Carolina

Tampa Bay

Atlanta/Winnipeg

Now it's against:

Carolina

Columbus

New Jersey

New York

NYR

Philly

Pittsburgh

We'll see.  I agree that it's WAY too early to panic.  But the things I've been ****ing about for two plus years haven't changed.  Especially with Carlson and Johansson.  Both of whom are jokes.

Fehr needs to be on the top line, Erat needs to be on the second line.  End of story for me.  This is rediculous.

Well, Holtby seems to be coming around. He had a few big stops and I can't blame him on any of those goals, but I would like to see Neuvy get a start just to try and shake things up.  

It's readily apparent that Erskine just can't keep up any more, he NEEDS to be dropped to the bottom pairing.  Luckily Urbom looked solid in his Caps debut last night, I really hope he gets a shot at Erskine's spot.  

We're only 4 games in, but like everyone else, I'm completely baffled by these lines.  How many times have we already seen Grabovski make a nice pass in transition to Laich only to have him fumble the puck?  I think Fehr or Erat needs to be in the 2LW spot.  Neither Laich nor Brouwer have the hands and creativity to produce with Grabovski.  Maybe we can see Laich at 2LW if he returns to form by the end of the year, but why handicap the team when it's obvious he's not back to his old self after what was essentially a lost year?  

By the way, the Canes were clearly offside on their first goal.  Weird play.

And Carlson's beautiful pass to spring Erat on a breakaway in the 2nd was incorrectly whistled offside.  Not a good day for the guys in stripes.

bRTKXAL.png

That play was doubly unfortunate because if Erat gets a goal there, maybe he finds his way out of the Adam Oates doghouse.

Didn't get to finish watching the game last night. Guess it was a good thing.

So much for the team being on the same page with a whole offseason under Oates belt. The defense looks like musical chairs. The offense can barely score on 5 on 5. Thanks GMGM.

I'd like to keep Wilson up. Carrick and Latta can stay down. Bring Orlov up. Put Beagle in. Erskine is barely a bottom six guy, like his grit but he does no favors to Carlson.

Erskine needs to be phased out completely.  Replace with Orlov. 

Him being a top-4 D is a literal joke. We are anywhere close to a contender with **** like that going on.

My hope is that they stay alive until the deadline then make a trade for a real D-man. Of course, Mcphee will probably end up trading Wilson and Kutz for friggin' Mark Streit 

I think if anyone is traded for a d-man it's going to be Brooksie.  And frankly I can't disagree with that at this stage... with how much he has made, where he sits on the team, and how much/little he has played.  McPhee will find a way to **** that up, though.  Ted's more recent takes are more indicitive that no change is happening anytime soon.  And we (the fans) should be happy with what we have and what not.  More fodder for why Danny absolutely powns him as an owner and it isn't even close.

Orlov looked so good a couple of years ago when he was called up towards the end of the season and for the playoffs.  He looked like poop this pre-season.

Varlamov between the pipes tonight.  God did I have a man crush on this kid.  I was devistated when we traded him.  Like, I didn't talk to anyone for a couple of days.  I know he wanted out, but I think Varlamov (when healthy) has elite goalie stuff.

Is there any background to go with this left field post?

Last season in the KHL he was 6th in scoring behind the likes of Malkin, Radulov, Kovalchuk and a couple other names that NHL fans probably wouldn't know.

We all know that those three can make an impact in the NHL, it would be my expectation that Kuznetsov would also make an impact. Traktor, his team was not very good until he joined it from what I understand.

Kuznetsov is the real deal and one of the best players in the world not currently playing in the NHL. If we dealt him for any other reason than him not coming to North America then I would be pissed. Forsberg is one thing, we think he has upside which is yet to be seen. Kuznetsov is a known talented player. Kuznetsov could possibly be playing on the same line as Ovechkin (although it would more likely be Malkin and Kovalchuk) in Scochi.

We are so close to getting Kuznetsov on this team and he is going to make an instant impact.

Oh, and Kuznetsov was 4th in the league at even strength goals. I think I know a team that needs to score more even strength goals.

I think if anyone is traded for a d-man it's going to be Brooksie.  And frankly I can't disagree with that at this stage... with how much he has made, where he sits on the team, and how much/little he has played.

?????

What GM around the league would trade a good defenseman for Brooks.

Archived