Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

We traded a top prospect for this guy. Whenever I've seen him play he looked solid and very fast. Anyone know what's up with him?

He had 4 goals and 3 assists in the Predators opener. Isn't that what everyone wants to hear?

Joking aside, he was scratched the first game and isn't expected to play tonight either. He has a "lower body injury". But I did read where he had a good preseason.

Erat or some other forward is going to be part of a deal to get us a top 4 D at the trade deadline.  Zero chance to compete for a Stanley Cup with this defense.

I kind of like what we are doing with that 4th line.  At least the idea of it.

I'm not sure I'm sold on having Erat down there.  And for the record, I hated trading Forsberg.  But that was last year.  It is what it is.

I've liked what I've seen out of Fehr at Center except the speed... he is WAY too slow to be doing that all year long.

I think the defense will get better as the year goes on except for Erskine.  This is hard for me to say because he has been my favorite, but he looked old-man-winter slow last night.  Hopefully Urbom can get acclimated quickly.

I can't for the life of me figure out why Oleksy has been scratched.  He was a baller last year.

Holtby is off to another slow start and that PP is humming.  Lots of room to grow.  But I think it's safe to say that we gave one away against the Blackhawks (after watching last night).  Which is a pretty big chest-thumping thing to say two games in.

Never in doubt

Not sure if you are joking... but the whole time I watched I felt like, "Man... we aren't going to lose this game." :lol:

Even after it was 4-1. 

Not sure if you are joking... but the whole time I watched I felt like, "Man... we aren't going to lose this game." :lol:

Even after it was 4-1. 

We have the offense to come back against anyone. I was never worried. Plus it's Calgary. Not exactly world beaters.

D is a concern. I think Holtby will eventually round into form though.

D is a concern. I think Holtby will eventually round into form though.

He was horrible early last year, too.  I get the feeling he is a slow starter.

Wyshinski was saying that we should've brought in a vet and flipped Neuvy so that the vet put pressure on Holtby to get better.

I didn't even know we were having that conversation.  When he gets going he's one of the best in the NHL.. but when he's off, he is WAY off. 

Thing about Holtby is come playoff time he's capable of stealing games and series. Neuvy is solid but he can't single handedly win you a game/series like Holtby, although he doesn't have the bad games Holtby does either.

2010 he played pretty well.  That Tampa Bay team just seamed to keep getting lucky goals from zero and negative angles.  I remember thinking "Meh, that was game 1, it won't happen again" but it did...until they swept us.

Calder Cups don't come cheap, either.

Thing about Holtby is come playoff time he's capable of stealing games and series. Neuvy is solid but he can't single handedly win you a game/series like Holtby, although he doesn't have the bad games Holtby does either.

One day Holtby is all world, the next day he looks like he should be fighting for a spot in the AHL. He's the Alex Semin of goaltenders.

One day Holtby is all world, the next day he looks like he should be fighting for a spot in the AHL. He's the Alex Semin of goaltenders.

I agree with this assessment. Holtby is supremely confident, but sometimes I think that's his downfall. He has a great glove, but sometimes he relies on it instead of solid positioning. That's what bit him with goal 5 in game one. While I don't know if the Caps goalies will be able to dominate and win a cup by themselves, I do like what they have. One thing is for sure, the Caps defense needs to be a little better in front of however is playing.

Holtby is still very, very young.

He doesn't look good now but I would hesitate to abandon ship on him because he has a lot of talent. Goaltender is the position that really takes the most maturity and adjustment. It is definitely the most cerebral position in the game and maybe second most to closing pitcher in all of sport.

Enough of the throwing hats on the ice for a shootout goal.  Makes us look like a fanbase that just learned the rules of hockey yesterday.  Embarrassing.

I dunno, seems to have become a Caps tradition to throw hats when Ovechkin scores his "third" goal on the shootout.

I dunno, seems to have become a Caps tradition to throw hats when Ovechkin scores his "third" goal on the shootout.

It's not a tradition, it's stupid. 

This defense is swiss cheese.  Erskine... I like him,he's a physical big guy but man he is always caught out of position.

Did we really give up Forsberg for Erat or am I still dreaming? 

What a ****ing awful turnover at the blueline. He completely deserves the treatment he's getting by Oates. Thanks, GMGM.

Yeah, it's pretty depressing. Trade away NHL-ready center Cody Eakin plus a second round pick (from Varlamov trade) for one-year rental center Ribeiro. Trade away blue-chip NHL-ready winger Filip Forsberg(first round from Varlamov trade) for a 4th line winger and an low-ceiling center prospect. He did great with the Varlamov trade only to nullify everything it brought a couple seasons later.

Archived