Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

Looked like Backstrom punched the puck in with his glove from the overhead angle.

At 8:01 of the second period in the Capitals/Stars game, the puck entered the Dallas net. Referee Mike Leggo determined that Nicklas Backstrom made incidental contact with goalie Kari Lehtonen and prevented Lehtonen from doing his job in the crease -- no goal, no penalty. This play is the referee's call on the ice and is not reviewable.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=21056&cmpid=nhl-twt

Is that a correct ruling??? Not to mention the ref signaled goal...

At 8:01 of the second period in the Capitals/Stars game, the puck entered the Dallas net. Referee Mike Leggo determined that Nicklas Backstrom made incidental contact with goalie Kari Lehtonen and prevented Lehtonen from doing his job in the crease -- no goal, no penalty. This play is the referee's call on the ice and is not reviewable.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=21056&cmpid=nhl-twt

Is that a correct ruling??? Not to mention the ref signaled goal...

Ruling seems fine to me. We should not have gotten a goal, be it deemed incidental contact or because he punched the puck into the net.

I'm hoping last night was just a bad effort, or there was jet lag, or the team ate some bad chinese food, or something.

That was terrible hockey.  I would say they were playing on bad ice, but Dallas didn't seem to mind.

We have got to get better 5 on 5.  We were just a step off all over the ice last night.  It wasn't any one thing in particular.  Everyone was a step off and we looked bad.

someone with more hockey knowledge than I have please explain how they can take a goal away without a penalty or rules violation?

He didn't punch him, it was more of a crosscheck.  Nicky went after the puck and the handle of his stick hit the goalie in the face.  It probably would've gone in anyways...

They can go back and take a goal away but they can't go back and award a power play to the Stars.  Refs got it right. 

We looked like hot ass last night.

It's time to end the Eric Fehr center experiment.  Also, Erat should be getitng more than 4th line minutes.  Chemistry be damned Chimera is a 4th liner at this point.

It still infuriates me that we traded Forsberg for Erat.  Honestly it's enraging.  GMGM is such a moron.

Once Fehr adjusts to the center position 5 on 5 should improve but they are too soft in their own zone. They need to get nasty.

No, Eric Fehr needs to never adjust because he should be playing wing.

The lines should be...

Erat-Backstrom-Ovechkin  

Fehr-Grabovski-Brouwer  

Johansson-Laich-Ward  

Chimera-Beagle-Wilson 

You can switch Erat or Fehr on the top line but that is what the combos should be.  It's the best with what GMGM has given us.  Ted is such a loser, keeping a clown like GMGM around.  As long as VC is full he doesn't care.  Can you imagine if GMGM was in Detroit or Pittsburgh, his ass would've been fired years ago.  Enough is enough.

Johansson is just a mediocre player.  No puck possession.  No scoring instincts.  What exactly does he bring to the table?  There is no reason we shouldn't try to screw him onto some other team at the trade deadline this year.  I'm sure the defenders will come out but enough is enough.  If Boston is wiling to trade Seguin (for a fair deal granted), there is no reason MoJoke cannot be dealt also for fair return which sadly wouldn't be much but hell, even to get some salary cap relief is enough of a reason. 

In the meantime, get him the hell off the top line.  He should be on the 3rd or 4th.  Ideally the 4th since the 3rd needs to have defensive ability.

Erskine, sorry, no team that wants to actually compete for a Cup has Erskine as a top 4 D.  It's just insane.  When Carrick moves back to the AHL, I'm not sure who replaces him but this D just lacks talent.

I have been asking for a while now, I want to see the following:

90-19-8

10-84-20

16-21-42

25-83-43

I really don't like MoJo, but Oates loves him. Fine, but Brooksie serves best as 3C at this point. Fehr is a winger.  Erat is good enough to be top 6, and he is VERY sound defensively (when he isn't trying to show to get off 4th line duty). Chimera si an AWESOME 4th line LW. He is an OK 3rd line LW.

On D, I was looking forward to a solid Erskine to open the season, but he has looked lost and slow. He got lost in space against Dallas and hung Holtby out to dry. He has been on the ice for WAY too many GA this early in the season.  We just can't continue to let him skate. The more skilled teams will destroy us.

52-27

74-New guy from NJ

61-58

Glad to see that somebody else is as down on Johanson as I am. The guy is fast but he doesn't score, doesn't pass, doesn't control the puck. There's a reason that he isn't on the PP.

Johansson has actually been really good in puck possession so far this year.  It's a small sample size so far, but he also has the primary assist on two of the three even strength goals we've scored.  In regards to his scoring, do we really want him looking to shoot when he's on a line with Ovechkin?  I'll take a shot from OV over a shot from MJ every time. Considering that OV is ripping off shots at a record pace, I think MJ is doing his job.

I have no complaints about anybody on the top line at this point, but below that things look ugly. In particular, the third line is a black hole at this point.

Still befuddled at what's going on w/ Erat. 

You don't trade your top pick in the draft for a guy who is on the 4th line.  Obviously, GMGM and Oates are not on the same page.  Maybe GMGM should talk to Oates about roster development before pulling the trigger on a trade. 

I don't care what it takes, they need to find a taker for Brooks Laich.  3C is a problem. 

In terms of the forward lines, I'd like to see the following:

90 - 19 - 8

10 - 84 - 43

16 - 21 - 20

25 - 83 - 42

My theory is that Oates is using Erat to bring Wilson along before bumping them both up to the second line.  So far this season both Erat and Wilson have put up good possession numbers together despite relatively tough competition when they've been on the ice.  That leaves the 2nd line with a strong passer in Erat, and strong shooter in Grabbo, and a physical front of the net presence in Wilson.  Wilson won't be asked to carry the puck into the zone much on that line, so it could be a situation in which he excels.  Besides, it would be a good way to see what you really have in Wilson before his 10 game clock expires.  

Fehr was the only guy who Oates would play off wing last year, so I wouldn't be surprised to see him do it again.  Laich at 3C would also be a huge upgrade on the defensive end compared to Fehr, who isn't the liability in his own zone at wing like he is at center.

Johansson has actually been really good in puck possession so far this year.  It's a small sample size so far, but he also has the primary assist on two of the three even strength goals we've scored.  In regards to his scoring, do we really want him looking to shoot when he's on a line with Ovechkin?  I'll take a shot from OV over a shot from MJ every time. Considering that OV is ripping off shots at a record pace, I think MJ is doing his job.

I have no complaints about anybody on the top line at this point, but below that things look ugly. In particular, the third line is a black hole at this point.

I'm not saying he should be looking to shoot, my whole thing with MoJo has been that he misses shots that should be lay-ups and he doesn't handle the puck well in the crease... like it goes right through him or he totally whiffs on it. 

I think that's more of what the others are talking about in terms of his inability to keep possession of the puck.

Speed is great, but I think it's becoming overrated in terms of MoJo's effect on the Caps scoring.  I hope I'm proved wrong, but he leaves a lot of goals on the ice.  A lot.

Archived