Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Capitals 2013-14 Thread

Springfield

You have to keep Green for his goal streaks.  We all hate his defense, but we love him when he's "Game Over".

Orlov looked great when he came up a couple of years ago during the playoffs... he looked like wet poop in the pre-season... where just about everyone looked great.  I don't know.  I would've called him up long ago, though...

Nowhere did I suggest getting rid of him, just that he needs to be held accountable for inexcusably bad performances.

Nowhere did I suggest getting rid of him, just that he needs to be held accountable for inexcusably bad performances.

Oh I know, man.  I'm absolutely with you.  I was just putting that out there.  His defense is rarely good, but his offense is what gets him his paycheck.  If he isn't scoring goals he's normally sucking everywhere and ****ing about how they don't make his stick anymore...

Orlov's hip check is a thing of beauty.  I'd love to see him on the lineup more often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAQEsNwkD1U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdCd2CguDlQ

Ah... the lost art of the hip check.  Hunter ****in Hockey...

It's so much easier to force the offense to the side boards... we don't have the talent on defense to funnel them to the middle and even guys like Alzner get beat around the outside shoulder for goals.  This is McPhee's doing believe it or not.  Oates said last year that George wants him to run a defensive system that doesn't get Mike Green injured. 

So there will be no boarding or forcing defense to dump and chase where Mike Greens frail body can be exposed to a 20 game injury.  And consequently, there will be goals. 

You don't trade Mike Green for a top 4 D. The only way you trade Mike Green is for a shut down defender and a pick. There are only 3 players in the NHL on the level of Mike Green.

You mean offensively right?

You can't mean overall

A pathetic game.  I'm glad Green was benched for OT along with Erskine.  Send a message.  He should be benched a game if he ever plays like that again.  This defense is EMBARRASSING.  Tell me, how can Dmitry Orlov not be good enough to crack this defense when he is healthy from that concussion?  Seriously?  There will have to be a trade by the deadline because as constructed, there is ZERO chance of a championship with this roster. 

This.

This current roster is lightyears from a Cup even if Ovi went into God mode during the playoffs. You cannot win in the playoffs when relying on Green, Carlson, and Erskine to actually play defense. 

You mean offensively right?

You can't mean overall

I thought that was implied. Consider it implied.

Last night was not Mike Greens fault though. It was everyone's fault, from the forwards on back. I like the fact that Ovi stood up and admitted he made mistakes, and that the whole team sucked. And he looked pissed off even though they won. Under Bruce, it would have been a party in the locker room after a game like that.

I thought that was implied. Consider it implied.

Last night was not Mike Greens fault though. It was everyone's fault, from the forwards on back. I like the fact that Ovi stood up and admitted he made mistakes, and that the whole team sucked. And he looked pissed off even though they won. Under Bruce, it would have been a party in the locker room after a game like that.

Lol at the last part.

Anyways, yeah. The defense was not the fault of one single guy but I am glad to see that something was done as opposed to nothing. 

I'm still floored we allowed Scott Hannan to get away after we traded for him.

But I digress.  We can win with the current group, I'm not saying we'll win the cup, but we can win.  We just need to make adjustments in how we allow the opponents to enter our zone (again, funneling them to the middle is stupid) and how we exit our zone on defense.

Next game pay close attention to how hard it is for us to get the puck out of our zone.

The next adjustment that needs to be made is on entry.  This team seems to pick one guy out per line that is "designated puck-bringer- inner-guy" and if he isn't open we simply dump and chase. 

Our guys also spend so much time trying to get the puck out of our zone that by the time they hit the center-stripe it's time to dump the puck down for a line change.  You cannot sustain offense that way.  We're basically saying "okay, you guys go in now" with the ice fully titled.

Oates runs a similar system to the coaches from Tampa (save for the neutral zone trap) and New Jersey who both did poorly last year (I know Tampa fired Guy, don't remember about NJD) and neither of whom had any defense... this may be that year for us. 

I like Oates, but if he wants to continue to coach hockey for the Caps he might just have to sack up and adjust.

I know there is a NHL hockey thread on here, but there is so much better discussion in this one, so I'll post what I was going to say in here.

John Scott is a piece of ****.  He's the worst player I've ever seen play the game.  Dude makes Peter Worrell look like the 2nd coming of Mario Lemieux.  I hope he gets a lengthy suspension, is cut, and is playing overseas by the end of the calendar year.  NHL does not need this guy. 

cheapshot_medium.gif

Link to Article

I'm still floored we allowed Scott Hannan to get away after we traded for him.

But I digress.  We can win with the current group, I'm not saying we'll win the cup, but we can win.  We just need to make adjustments in how we allow the opponents to enter our zone (again, funneling them to the middle is stupid) and how we exit our zone on defense.

Next game pay close attention to how hard it is for us to get the puck out of our zone.

The next adjustment that needs to be made is on entry.  This team seems to pick one guy out per line that is "designated puck-bringer- inner-guy" and if he isn't open we simply dump and chase. 

Our guys also spend so much time trying to get the puck out of our zone that by the time they hit the center-stripe it's time to dump the puck down for a line change.  You cannot sustain offense that way.  We're basically saying "okay, you guys go in now" with the ice fully titled.

Oates runs a similar system to the coaches from Tampa (save for the neutral zone trap) and New Jersey who both did poorly last year (I know Tampa fired Guy, don't remember about NJD) and neither of whom had any defense... this may be that year for us. 

I like Oates, but if he wants to continue to coach hockey for the Caps he might just have to sack up and adjust.

There's no point in even thinking we can compete for a Cup without a big trade at the deadline.  Someone is going to be moved for a top 4 D or a scoring forward.

There's no point in even thinking we can compete for a Cup without a big trade at the deadline.  Someone is going to be moved for a top 4 D or a scoring forward.

I'm not saying we'll even compete for the cup (realistically) but we can make the playoffs with this roster.  And to some, that's all that matters.

We went from Ted saying "The Stanley Cup is inevitable".

to Ted saying "We should be happy we are in the playoffs".

That's the controlling piece of this franchise...

As much as I hate to admit it, he is no longer MoJoke. Easily the most improved player on the team.

He really turned it around in the last 20 games or so last season. The entire first-line improved after he truly recovered from that concussion. He might not be a "first-liner" as in he's a guy you put specifically on the first line, but rather he just seems to have a chemistry with Ovi and Backstrom and they play better with him than they do with others. It's clear looking at Johansson's points last season that he really started producing when he really recovered from the concussion and played on the first line (much better than before he had the concussion), but the more telling trend to me was that Ovechkin's and Backstrom's productions went up with the reintroduction of Johansson.

edit: I think it was the last 22 games that it happened. It would match up with his increase in ice time, and I seem to remember that number. Here are the stats to go with it:

P/G final 22

Ovechkin: 1.545

Backstrom: 1.182

Johansson: .909

P/G before

Ovechkin: .846

Backstrom: .538

Johansson: .059

That's an impressive jump in production from each of them.

I was watching the game while going to sleep last night so I didn't really get to post.

Ovechkin is playing the best hockey of his life right now. The rest of the team is really just so-so (some highs and some lows) but Ovechkin is really leading this team and I love to see it.

A goal per game pace is unheard of these days. If he can keep it up, he'll easily score 50-60 goals and put up the most points of any player in a long time.

I was watching the game while going to sleep last night so I didn't really get to post.

Ovechkin is playing the best hockey of his life right now. The rest of the team is really just so-so (some highs and some lows) but Ovechkin is really leading this team and I love to see it.

A goal per game pace is unheard of these days. If he can keep it up, he'll easily score 50-60 goals and put up the most points of any player in a long time.

It's still a long ways away, but the results of the Olympics will have a big impact on his results after that month break. If the US doesn't win, going to be pulling hard for the Russians.

I highly doubt they trade for a scoring forward if they know kuznetsov is coming to the US after the Olympics. I'm not sure what the Caps have to move to get a Top-4 D cause they would have to clear some cap space as well. Maybe Neuvy if he gets a few chances to play and has good games.

Archived