Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Super Bowl XLVIII Thread (Post Mortem )

Mr. Sinister

Russell Wilson is OK but if you really looked at that game and came away with "Oh wow, Russell Wilson" then I don't know what to say.  I'm not impressed and i wasn't impressed in the playoffs last year (until he played the Falcons, THAT was a truly great performance by Russell.)  Why can't we just say that Wilson is a good QB but is carried BEYOND what other quarterbacks can expect in help game in and game out?   

Why can't we just say that, with the exception of his very first throw tonight, Wilson was on the money with all his throws? When it was 5-0, he throws a perfect pass in the end zone that was broken up by a great play by the Denver linebacker. It's not like the pressure was off at that point. It's funny to see haters dismiss stats and try to take away from a players success in order to support their own weak argument.

It was. But that D man ..... as much I absolutely detest the Seahawks, I can't help but applaud possibly the greatest defensive showing ever on the biggest stage. 

Hail. 

I was really hoping to be able to blame the refs if denver lost, but they did a good job tonight. They maybe missed a call here or there, but overall they were not the story which is what you want to say about them.

The fact is that seattle D took it to denver. Good solid hitting. Excellent coverage. The key was they were able to rush 4 and get pressure on manning. That also kept the running game mostly in tack. That just resonated throgu the whole team, made the other 2 phases better. Also, a lot of the broncos didn't show up. But make no mistake, seattle won this game fair and square. Not at all saying the broncos gave it away. They were completely outplayed and out coached right from the KO and in all 3 phases of the game, Off, Def, and STs. (damn that hurt!!  I hate these jerks almost as much as dallast! Ugg!)

Why can't we just say that, with the exception of his very first throw tonight, Wilson was on the money with all his throws?

I never said anything to the contrary about him. Played a perfectly fine game, played smart and accurate, got his 3rd down conversions, no complaints.

The only thing I've said is that the game was dominated by the Seattle defense and they didn't ask him to come out and get the offense to put up 30+. There isn't a thing in the world wrong with that, I'd love nothing more than to have a defense that didn't ask RG3 and our offense to put up 30+ by themselves just to keep it close.

It's not dismissive of Wilson to simply acknowledge how great the Seattle defense was in shutting down the most statistically prolific single-season offense of all-time.

Russell Wilson was okay, but that's all he needed to be.   It isn't about Wilson sucking or being great, it is seeing his play for what it is, and that is....average.  I'm sorry but he isn't spectacular at anything.  His best attribute is extending plays with his feet, which is not something unique to him nor is it something that isn't routinely done around the NFL by a ton of other QB's.

I think people confuse this as Wilson bashing. It really isn't, I think it is more-so trying to ground his play into some kind of reality. Wilson is excelling within an offense that isn't asking much of him.  Maybe he will be great in a couple seasons, maybe he will hit a wall and permanently be known as a QB who needs the defense/running game to pick up the slack and be the brunt of the team.  That's is perfectly ok when Seattle has a defense like they currently do.   

We will see later on once those guys start taking bigger pay days and Seattle starts running into games where they have to win with points on offense instead of a dominant defense that gives them great field position just about every drive.

I am more of the mind that this SB win was a blessing and a curse for the Seahawks.  You never as a franchise or fanbase get down about a SB win obviously, but if this gives Wilson the leverage to go out and demand a Flacco-like contract merely because he has *Superbowl Winner next to his name on the stat sheet, then it is going to hamper that franchise in it's quest to keep together the kind of dominant defense.  Seattle is going to get hoodwinked into giving a decent QB, elite QB money and then we will see what Wilson is really made of.

I don't know what you guys were watching, but Russell Wilson was making some great throws.  He has a rocket arm.  He rolled to his left and had some lasers.  I didn't see anything from him that made me go, "eh that was okay."  He played awesome.

I will say that he didn't win this game, and it was Seattle's defense that dominated.  But the offense took advantage of what was given to them.

I don't know what you guys were watching, but Russell Wilson was making some great throws.  He has a rocket arm.  He rolled to his left and had some lasers.  I didn't see anything from him that made me go, "eh that was okay."  He played awesome.

I will say that he didn't win this game, and it was Seattle's defense that dominated.  But the offense took advantage of what was given to them.

he has a great arm and put the ball in some really tight windows.

The ball he threw on the sideline to Balwdin was spectacular. Its really people not knowing how to dismiss their RG3 love and objectively look at the other young QBs fairly.

Russell Wilson was okay, but that's all he needed to be.   It isn't about Wilson sucking or being great, it is seeing his play for what it is, and that is....average.  I'm sorry but he isn't spectacular at anything.  His best attribute is extending plays with his feet, which is not something unique to him nor is it something that isn't routinely done around the NFL by a ton of other QB's.

I guess you think RGIII was just average his rookie year. Same with Andrew Luck the last couple of years. I'm not sure what game you watched tonight, but in the biggest game of his career, Wilson was putting the ball in perfect spots for his receivers all night. No floaters, no near interceptions, no lucky catches, nothing except one high throw to start the game.

What does Robert's rookie year have to do with Russell Wilson today?  I didn't say he had a bad game. I said OVERALL his play is average as far as NFL QB's go.  He excels in an offense that doesn't ask for a lot in the passing game.  

This isn't a Robert vs. Wilson discussion or issue.  I understand that there is a fair amount of folks on this board who have written Robert off already, so any success by a fellow young QB is to them further proof of Robert not being a franchise QB.

What does Robert's rookie year have to do with Russell Wilson today?  I didn't say he had a bad game. I said OVERALL his play is average as far as NFL QB's go.  He excels in an offense that doesn't ask for a lot in the passing game.  

This isn't a Robert vs. Wilson discussion or issue.  I understand that there is a fair amount of folks on this board who have written Robert off already, so any success by a fellow young QB is to them further proof of Robert not being a franchise QB.

I'm certainly not writing off Robert, but I think it's ridiculous for people to dismiss Russell Wilson as average. Nothing in his passing stats, his ability to run, and his overall winning percentage as a QB suggests he is simply an average QB unless you consider RGIII and Andrew Luck to be average as well.

Russell Wilson total stats for his first two years:

G    Com/Att    %    Yards   Ave   TD    INT Fum  QB Rating

Career 32 509 800 63.6 6,475 8.09 52   19 11   100.6

52 TDs to 19 INTs. Yeah, average.

Russell Wilson is on the cusp of being a great QB.

Tonight he played a great game, but Russell Wilson is asked to do less than just about any other starting QB in the league.  The guy threw less attempts than 21 other QBs.

He's not a focal point of the offense, he's a great game manager who is great at scrambling and running about 1/3 of Seattle's offense, no more, no less.  He would crumble if the offense were put on his shoulders. There are 6 QBs in the league who threw 200 more attempts than Wilson.  At his pace (407 attempts) he'd have to play 8 more games to catch up with those guys.  

I don't understand how you guys can say he's "on the cusp" of anything other than being a more mobile Trent Dilfer. Dilfer was asked to do more than Wilson.  During Baltimore's SB season, he started 8 games with 226 attempts.  That would be another game or 2 for Wilson if you carried that across a full season, and no one ever refers to him as anything more than a game manager, how can Wilson be more than that + a great scrambling QB?  

I think the guy does a good job at what he has to do.  That's it.

I dunno, but I'm just pissed. This is my first post in this thread b/c I went to a SB party just knowing that Denver was gonna beat the brakes off the Seaturds. Well, we all know how that **** turned out. Denver literally got raped.

As hard as this crap is for me to say, Seattle played a damn good game. I really don't think Denver was ready for that defense- at ALL. This almost feels worse than a Skins loss to the Cowboys b/c of the history the Skins have had with Seattle.

I was at LEAST expecting a really close game, but this might as well have been a complete blowout. As much as I hate to say it, Seattle's defense is no ****ing joke. And I'm a jealous hater because of it dammit. And if anybody questions my man/fan card, you can take my thong I'm wearing and shove it (b/c 1- I'm not a man, and 2- if you're honest with yourself you know Seattle played a hell of a game).

Now I'm just a jealous hater, and I can admit it. I can only hope the Redskins can do what Seattle did tonight, and literally shut down one of the greatest QB's of all time, for years to come.

Props to Seattle. I am woman enough to give credit where it's due.

I'm certainly not writing off Robert, but I think it's ridiculous for people to dismiss Russell Wilson as average. Nothing in his passing stats, his ability to run, and his overall winning percentage as a QB suggests he is simply an average QB unless you consider RGIII and Andrew Luck to be average as well.

Except that their offense is focused around Lynch, not Wilson.  Again, Wilson is asked to do about 2/3 of what every other QB in the league is.  About 40% of the Seattle offense runs through him, that's it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the guy's average, but you guys are talking about him as if he's the next #1 QB in the league.  It's not realistic.  He's just not required to have the team on his back, like Luck, or Griffin, or Brady, or Brees. 

You list his 800 passing attempts, compare that to Luck and Griffin, and most of the other starters and  Wilson would have to play another season (at his attempts pace) for him to even catch up to those guys as far as passing goes.  His TDs are great, but he never has to worry about a team focusing on the passing game either.

Tonight he played a great game, but Russell Wilson is asked to do less than just about any other starting QB in the league.  The guy threw less attempts than 21 other QBs.

He's not a focal point of the offense, he's a great game manager who is great at scrambling and running about 1/3 of Seattle's offense, no more, no less.  He would crumble if the offense were put on his shoulders. There are 6 QBs in the league who threw 200 more attempts than Wilson.  At his pace (407 attempts) he'd have to play 8 more games to catch up with those guys.  

I don't understand how you guys can say he's "on the cusp" of anything other than being a more mobile Trent Dilfer. Dilfer was asked to do more than Wilson.  During Baltimore's SB season, he started 8 games with 226 attempts.  That would be another game or 2 for Wilson if you carried that across a full season, and no one ever refers to him as anything more than a game manager, how can Wilson be more than that + a great scrambling QB?  

I think the guy does a good job at what he has to do.  That's it.

I love haters. Dilfer played in 11 games when they won the superbowl and he had 1,502 12 TD 11 INTs compared to RW 16 games, 3,357 yards, 26 TDs and 9 INTs.

RW this season: 12th in completion %, 4th in yards per attempt, 9th in TDs, 22nd in INTs thrown (that's a good thing), 7th in QB rating....yeah, just average

Agreed. Wilson was money on third down.

Except that their offense is focused around Lynch, not Wilson.  Again, Wilson is asked to do about 2/3 of what every other QB in the league is.  About 40% of the Seattle offense runs through him, that's it.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think the guy's average, but you guys are talking about him as if he's the next #1 QB in the league.  It's not realistic.  He's just not required to have the team on his back, like Luck, or Griffin, or Brady, or Brees. 

You list his 800 passing attempts, compare that to Luck and Griffin, and most of the other starters and  Wilson would have to play another season (at his attempts pace) for him to even catch up to those guys as far as passing goes.  His TDs are great, but he never has to worry about a team focusing on the passing game either.

I don't see anyone saying he is the best QB in the league. Did you know Wilson and RGIII had the exact same amount of pass attempts their rookie seasons? Nearly identical stats passing. Some of you are penalizing Wilson for being very efficient and some of you ignore that he has at least 6 4th quarter comebacks already in his career.

Russell Wilson is an Alex Smith game manager.  That's all Seattle needs to win.  Just look at the last few regular season Seattle games.  Against the Giants, he threw for only 206 yards with 1 TD- 1 INT, with a fumble.  Yet Seattle wins 23-0.  The following game against the Cards, he threw for 108 yards, with 1 TD- 1 INT.  They lost that game.  The last game of the season, he throws for 175 yards, with 1 TD- 0 INTs.  Seattle wins 27-9.  He only had two games this season where he threw for over 300 yards.  In the postseason against the Saints, he threw for 103 yards with 0 TDs - 0 INTs.  Seattle wins 23-15.  Against the 49ers in the playoffs, he threw for 215 yards, 1 TD- 0 INTs.

The dude is a game manager.

I don't see anyone saying he is the best QB in the league. Did you know Wilson and RGIII had the exact same amount of pass attempts their rookie seasons? Nearly identical stats passing. Some of you are penalizing Wilson for being very efficient and some of you ignore that he has at least 6 4th quarter comebacks already in his career.

Most of us saw how RG3 and Morris, two rookies, carried our team last year.  Wilson doesn't carry his team.  He tags along for the ride.

Russell Wilson total stats for his first two years:

G    Com/Att    %    Yards   Ave   TD    INT Fum  QB Rating

Career 32 509 800 63.6 6,475 8.09 52   19 11   100.6

52 TDs to 19 INTs. Yeah, average.

Was going to stay out of this, but these numbers got my attention. Count me in the don't dislike Russell Wilson group but I think he doesn't need to do as much to win games. You gave his last 2 seasons. Here are the last 6 games leading up to the SB:

Gms   Comp   Att   %comp   Yds   YDs/GM   TD   Int   Rush Atts   Rush Yds  QB Rating

6         84     145    57.9%  1006     167.7     5     3         32              115         82.14

Not exactly earth shattering. He had a very good SB game. Made some great plays, especially on 3rd down. His first two trips into the red zone ended in FGs despite great field position. The other was started very deep and if not for an unnecessary pass interference they would have gone 0-3 (it was a good call, the guy just didn't need to do it. I don;t think the receiver would have caught the ball.) At 29-0 the off had 13 pts the D and STs had 16.

I hate Seattle but I like Russell Wilson. Just not ready to put him in Canton over 1 decent SB where the D completely dominated the other team and when he can go on a streak like his last 6 games of the season leading up to the SB including 2 playoff games. They lost 2 of the last 4 reg. season games because he had horrible games. And the D carried them in the 2 playoff games. The Off lack of production almost let NO back in the game. It was much closer than it should have been. Same with SF.

Archived